This Mock draft has us taking LSU Mingo at 9

faba

nfpost-logo_023517.gifBy Russ Lande | National Football Post – 2 hours 29 minutes ago

1. Kansas City Chiefs: Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M, Junior: Sources insist that the Chiefs will trade LT Branden Albert and will use the top pick in the Draft to replace him. While the Chiefs reportedly love Oregon OLB Dion Jordan, they already have Tamba Hali and Justin Houston, so they select Luke Joeckel to be their LT for the next decade.

US PRESSWIREFlorida State DE Bjoern Werner closes on N.C. State QB Mike Glennon.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars: Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State, Junior: Many different players have been predicted to go to the Jaguars this spring, but I think Werner makes a ton of sense because he is an edge pass rusher who plays with the passion and intensity the new head coach Gus Bradley demands. Now after his outstanding Pro Day, concerns about him not being a good enough athlete to be as productive in the NFL are likely in the past, the Jaguars jump at the chance to draft him.

3. Oakland Raiders: Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia, Senior: While I believe selecting Geno Smith here would be a mistake, all the sources I speak with tell me that they are leaning this way. Smith is off the charts when it comes to character, work ethic and intangibles. Combined with his strong arm and athleticism, Smith has all the physical talent to develop into a top NFL QB, but he is a long way from a finished product.

4. Philadelphia Eagles: Star Lotulelei, NT, Utah, Senior: As the Eagles make the switch to a 34 defense they need to fill a number of positional needs and none is more important than a nose tackle. With his ability to physically dominate blockers at the POA, now that he appears to have overcome medical questions he would be an ideal choice to anchor the middle of the Eagles’ defensive front.

5. Detroit Lions: Ezekiel Ansah, DE, DE, Senior: With neither Kyle Vanden Bosch or Cliff Avril expected to return in 2013, the Lions have a desperate need for an outside pass rusher. After coaching Ansah at Senior Bowl they know how effective he can be if line dup wide and allowed to attack the edge, so they jump at the chance to select him here.

6. Cleveland Browns: Keenan Allen, WR, California, Junior: As the Browns continue trying to upgrade their offense, the chance to draft Allen who has great size at 6’2, explosive play-making ability and is polished running routes makes too much sense. Pairing Allen with Josh Gordon would give Branden Weeden two young receivers with elite talent to throw to for the next decade.

7. Arizona Cardinals: Matt Barkley, QB, USC, Senior: Despite all the smoke screens that the Cardinals are sending working out different quarterbacks and discussing Drew Stanton as a potential starter, we really believe that they will go with Matt Barkley. While he may not have the best arm, he has a strong enough arm and has similar mental makeup and intangibles to Andrew Luck whom Coach Arians coached in Indianapolis last season.

8. Buffalo Bills: Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse, Senior: While the Bills have done everything in their power to convince the public and other teams that they are not interested in Nassib, I do not buy it. Whether he is the best QB in this class, he is one of the best, the Bills desperately need one and know everything about him; especially what incredible intangibles he has.

9. New York Jets: Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU, Junior: Even if the Jets trade Revis, they will have more talent and depth at cornerback than outside linebacker, so they will not pass up the chance to select Mingo. His explosive athleticism and natural pass rush skills make him an ideal fit for the Jets’ 34 defensive scheme.

US PRESSWIREFlorida DT Sharrif Floyd makes tackle against Louisville.

10. Tennessee Titans: Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida, Junior: In recent seasons that Titans’ defensive tackles have not been the impact play-makers that they defense needs. While Floyd’s short arms are a concern for teams that ask their defensive tackles to be 2-Gap players, the Titans would ask Floyd to be a gap shooting, penetrator, which fits his skill set ideally.

11. San Diego Chargers: Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan, Senior: Not believing their luck, the Chargers sprint up with their card when Fisher is still available. Although Fisher definitely has strength issues and is not a franchise LT type prospect, he is a top athlete with great length and competitiveness, which will sure up their LT spot.

12. Miami Dolphins: Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma, Senior: Jake Long is now a St. Louis Ram and Jonathan Martin did not “wow” anyone with his play in 2012. Johnson is a top athlete who has made great strides since becoming an offensive lineman/tackle in 2011 and could protect Ryan Tannehill’s blindside for a long time.

13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama, Junior: Things did not go as well as planned when the Bucs signed CB Eric Wright a season ago, so now they make the move to upgrade at cornerback. Milliner is a strong, physical corner with the athleticism and speed to excel in man and zone coverage.

14. Carolina Panthers: Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina, Senior: Despite not receiving much national attention, Williams is very high on many draft boards and would be a great choice by the Panthers. With his initial quickness, strength and excellent competitiveness, Williams would provide an immediate upgrade on the interior of the Panthers defensive line.

15. New Orleans Saints: Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri, Junior: Although they lack experience, sources tell us that the Saints like OLB’s Martez Wilson and Junior Galette to be their outside pass rushers. Cameron Jordan is perfectly suited to man one DE spot in the Saints new 34 defense and Richardson would be an excellent fit playing at the other one.

16. St. Louis Rams: Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee, Junior: After signing Jake Long to solve their LT issues and upgrade their offensive line, the Rams use their first first round pick on Patterson whose combination of size, explosiveness, speed and big play ability is unmatched in this year’s draft.

17. Pittsburgh Steelers: Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon, Junior: Although Jordan is rumored to be a sure top ten pick; there are always a few players who slip for no real reason. With James Harrison done in Pittsburgh and Lamarr Woodley coming off a disappointing 2012 season, the Steelers must upgrade their outside pass rush to give their defense the teeth to make big plays in 2013.

18. Dallas Cowboys: Kenny Vaccaro, SAF, Texas, Senior: The Cowboys have a number of needs, but to upgrade the back end of their defense is too much to pass up with Vaccaro still on the board. The rare safety that is equally productive in run support, in man coverage and patrolling the back end in deep coverage, Vaccaro could really upgrade the Dallas defense.

US PRESSWIREFlorida State DE Cornell "Tank Carradine is in process of sacking Florida QB.

19. New York Giants: Cornell “Tank” Carradine, DE, Florida State, Senior: Long time DE Osi Umenyiora is no longer on team and Justin Tuck has not been the same player the last two years, so they need an infusion of pass rush talent. Despite being a one year wonder, if Carradine had not injured his knee against Florida he would likely have been a top ten pick, so the Giants take a gamble here based on need and great value.

20. Chicago Bears: Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama, Senior: After signing Jermon Bushrod to secure Jay Cutler’s blindside, the Bears grab the best guard in the Draft to continue their offensive line upgrade. Unlike most guards who are either extremely strong or possess good athleticism, Warmack has both which is why he is such an elite talent.

21. Cincinnati Bengals: Menelik Watson, OT, Florida State, Junior: Although the Bengals may still decide to re-sign Andre Smith, the odds are not in favor of that. So they replace Smith with Watson who has rare athleticism and strength, but is very raw.

22. St. Louis Rams (From Washington): Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama, Junior: So far this off-season the Rams have upgraded at OT, WR and TE, so adding Lacy gives them the power back that Stephen Jackson used to be. While I have been told that many teams are not sold on Lacy, I think that the Rams believe in his talent.

23. Minnesota Vikings: Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State, Junior: With Antoine Winfield no longer with the team the Vikings make the move to grab his replacement. As opposed to Winfield who lacked good size, Rhodes is a huge CB with elite speed that likes to play physical with receiver.

24. Indianapolis Colts: Corey Lemonier, OLB, Auburn, Junior: After a shockingly productive first season playing a 34 defense, the Colts need to find an explosive edge rusher to play opposite OLB Robert Mathis. Lemonier has rare first step explosiveness off the ball to threaten the corner and the natural pass rush skills to defeat OT inside or out.

25. Minnesota Vikings (From Seattle): Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia, Senior: After trading Percy Harvin to the Seahawks, the Vikings offense needs a play-maker to replace him. Austin has the dynamic, explosive athleticism to be that player and brings none of the headaches to the locker room that Harvin did.

26. Green Bay Packers: Johnathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina, Senior: After signing Jeff Saturday to fill in at center for the short term, the Packers grab Cooper here with the plan to play him at center. A top athlete with quick hands and good strength, Cooper has everything it takes to be a quality starting center in the NFL.

US PRESSWIREGeorgia MLB Alec Ogletree skies to make a tough interception.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lande is on crack if he thinks Marrone is going to draft Nassib a round early just to reunite with him.

Mingo seems like one of those picks you make where you immediately pray very, very hard that he doesn't get his signing bonus and shut it down. Scary, scary pick, IMO.

If the Revis Trade is on, they try and Trade down with 9, I see them taking Tavon Austin. They then pick up a guard or OLB. Second round, one of the T.E's. Jets are defo going T.E round 2 mark it.

If Ertz and Eifert are gone, I don't see how they go TE in round two without reaching.

Woerner and Nassib are way too high in this mock

Woerner and Nassib are way too high in this mock

I am not sure announcer's can even say "Barkevious."  So yes, he will be a bust.  I see Jones is not in this round?

lande is a contrarian his mock is good for discussion but not entirely accurate. there won't be 3 QBs in the top 10. Jarvis Jones will be a first round pick. Some of his other picks in the middle of the round (teens and twenties) actually make tons of sense. 

Lande is on crack if he thinks Marrone is going to draft Nassib a round early just to reunite with him.

Mingo seems like one of those picks you make where you immediately pray very, very hard that he doesn't get his signing bonus and shut it down. Scary, scary pick, IMO.

Have you heard character concerns now?

I know, which is why T0m's statement was a curious one. Iunno about grittiest, but he does hustle on the field.

I don't know that you need character concerns to let your foot off the gas once somebody drops a $10 mil plus check in your pocket. God knows I'd fold up the tent if that happened.

I don't know that you need character concerns to let your foot off the gas once somebody drops a $10 mil plus check in your pocket. God knows I'd fold up the tent if that happened.

So this is a possibility for any player in the top ten? Why even being it up then?!!?! What makes Mingo more suspectible to this?

So this is a possibility for any player in the top ten? Why even being it up then?!!?! What makes Mingo more suspectible to this?

Because, in the absence of collegiate production, all we'd have to go on with Mingo is that he can and will develop into a pass rusher on the NFL level, which will require him to work like a bastard to become the type of player who is worth a top-10 pick, because his résumé doesn't tell us that he is right now.

Because, in the absence of collegiate production, all we'd have to go on with Mingo is that he can and will develop into a pass rusher on the NFL level, which will require him to work like a bastard to become the type of player who is worth a top-10 pick, because his résumé doesn't tell us that he is right now.

So your conclusion is that he'll quit rather than work because because because?

he has production... it's just not elite production.  anyway he reportedly really impressed teams in interviews at Indy. Hardworking is one of his strengths.

I don't see a top ten talent when I watch tape on Mingo from the 2012 season. Especially relative to the other defensive players available in the draft.

He get's pushed around a lot and has trouble disengaging blockers.

You could have said the same thing about Chandler Jones a year ago. This is the risk you take. Werner's production was much better, but his workouts were mediocre. Mingo's production wasn't great, but he's a good athlete. This is where you just have to trust your scouts and hope for the best. A pass rusher with great production and great workout numbers and great interviews is never going to be available at 9.

You could have said the same thing about Chandler Jones a year ago. This is the risk you take. Werner's production was much better, but his workouts were mediocre. Mingo's production wasn't great, but he's a good athlete. This is where you just have to trust your scouts and hope for the best. A pass rusher with great production and great workout numbers and great interviews is never going to be available at 9.

I know it's a relatively generic critique, but it immediately becomes less generic if/when he becomes a Jet. Reading that PFF article this morning, it becomes clear that "testing well" is a relatively small part of what makes a draft pick work out. Mingo, in particular, scares me because of where he played and how little he produced. If he has all these athletic gifts, how come they didn't equate to production?

I know it's a relatively generic critique, but it immediately becomes less generic if/when he becomes a Jet. Reading that PFF article this morning, it becomes clear that "testing well" is a relatively small part of what makes a draft pick work out. Mingo, in particular, scares me because of where he played and how little he produced. If he has all these athletic gifts, how come they didn't equate to production?

I asked the same question a couple months ago. The answer lies partly with how deep these SEC teams are and how much they rotate. Mingo didn't play 90% of the defensive snaps. It was more like 60%. That goes for Sharrif Floyd too.  These guys come from very good teams that have depth and part of their game plan is to rotate all the time and keep guys fresh. LSU routinely rotated 8 guys. 

the other part of the answer is that he didn't have elite production but as dbates said he's not an elite pick. if Mingo had the production of Jarvis Jones, he's maybe the #1 pick. We are talking about him at 9. 

I asked the same question a couple months ago. The answer lies partly with how deep these SEC teams are and how much they rotate. Mingo didn't play 90% of the defensive snaps. It was more like 60%. That goes for Sharrif Floyd too. These guys come from very good teams that have depth and part of their game plan is to rotate all the time and keep guys fresh. LSU routinely rotated 8 guys.

the other part of the answer is that he didn't have elite production but as dbates said he's not an elite pick. if Mingo had the production of Jarvis Jones, he's maybe the #1 pick. We are talking about him at 9.

9 is a high pick, bit. It's not ok to go draft an 80 tackle, 5 sack guy there. If they go OLB, he better be a double-digit sack guy or it's a bad pick.

there's a decent case that Mingo should go 2. I don't see why Werner, Ansah or even Jordan are better prospects than this player. 

I saw someone was quoted as saying, "Mingo leads the league in high fives and butt slaps" because his athleticism seems to always get him to the play right when someone else is making the tackle.

Archived