Fred Davis Visiting Jets

RyanBe_Tebowing

Free agent tight end Fred Davis is visiting with the New York Jets on Wednesday, according to Pro Football Central.

Davis has been quite the hot commodity on the free agent market in what is a very soft tight end class. Davis has already been courted by the Buffalo Bills, and the Cleveland Browns also expressed their interest in him. All this while he is supposedly in negotiations with Washington to keep him in the nation's capital.

Now, Davis is looking into the bright lights of New York as a possible landing spot after the Jets watched Dustin Keller walk out the door to sign with the Miami Dolphins.

Rest of the story is on SB Nation, on my phone.

Injury riddled career.  Never played an entire season.

He'll get a contract. 

He is surely injury riddled, but a clear upgrade over Keller. At least we wouldnt see the boneheaded facemask drops.

another Mark Sanchez connection! Sanchez started 3 games for injured John David Booty during Fred Davis's 2007 final season at USC 

Wow...so Sanchez can re-light the hall of fame chemistry he built with Fred and become the best of all worlds. I guess its better than not having played any time with a receiver. We all know Sanchez is starting.

They're almost the same player on paper. Maybe Davis is less terrified of being hit having never been punked on national TV by Ray Lewis. 

Maybe Davis should be.  Considering if you break wind in his direction he's out for the year. 

Ok, I'll be the guy who goes "there".

Fred Davis has already been courted by the Browns and the Bills.  Both of those teams are sitting pretty under the cap...and are arguably in better position to be contenders this year.  

The only reason to come here is for the good company he'll have on PUP/IR?

Better blocker (isn't everyone?), taller, better hands and far better awareness than Keller.

I just dont how a player who's never played a full season is a clear upgrade over a player who had never missed a practice up until this season.  

I just dont how a player who's never played a full season is a clear upgrade over a player who had never missed a practice up until this season.  

I know he blew out his achilles last year and I know he had a drug suspension one year, but I don't remember any other major injuries. 

If Davis recovers from the Achilles he is the equivalent to Keller, maybe even a slight upgrade.       

We are comparing talent. I liked Keller and wanted him back. But he was a liability in the run game, and pass blocking. Davis isn't much different, but he's better. Landry gave us a Pro-bowl season with his injury history. Mabe Fred can too.

Even then he only scored 3 tds.  I want a big, healthy pass-blocking TE with a huge catch radius.  

Oh OK then. Go find one in FA for a good price then.

What you want has nothing to do with what is available, and what is available should not be discounted because you imagine there's better. This guy will not stop them from acquiring a big, healthy pass blocking (BLOCKING?!?! what decade are you in?) TE with a huge catch radius if that mysterious being somehow appears. 

Oh OK then. Go find one in FA for a good price then.

What you want has nothing to do with what is available, and what is available should not be discounted because you imagine there's better. This guy will not stop them from acquiring a big, healthy pass blocking (BLOCKING?!?! what decade are you in?) TE with a huge catch radius if that mysterious being somehow appears. 

Who said anything about free agency?  Draft one.  Duh.

....Flooring. Can't draft a TE if you sign one in FA. That would be absolute madness.

If Davis is healthy, he is worth more than whatever we'll be offering him.  If he's not healthy, then he's an unnecessary risk/expense.  We need an upgrade at our TE position, not another health risk or lower-tier free agent addition.  We can land one of the top-5 TEs in the draft and be set at the position...we don't need to fill that role before the draft just to fill it.  

Before you ask:

1. Tyler Eifert

2. Zach Ertz

3. Gavin Escobar

4. Travis Kelce

5. Vance McDonald

The New York Jets are scheduling a couple of free agent visits:

Former Washington Redskin’s tight end Fred Davis is planning on visiting the Jets in the near future:

The Jets did tender restricted free agent tight end Jeff Cumberland but after losing Dustin Keller in free agency they are in the market to bolster the position.

Davis played seven games last year having 24 receptions for 325 yards before suffering a season ending Achilles tendon injury and was having a career year in 2011 with 59 receptions for 796 yards and 3 touchdowns but was suspended for the last four games due to a performance enhancing drug suspension.

Even with these issues there is a market for Davis’ services including division rival Buffalo and his former team the Redskins have been mentioned as interested in a Davis return.  While Davis would be a quality addition at a position of need the Jets financial constraints may put him out of their price range.

The Jets are also in the market for a veteran safety as for now they have second-year players Antonio Allen and Josh Bush along with third year disappointment former Philadelphia Eagle second round pick Jaiquawn Jarrett currently on the roster.

Former Jacksonville Jaguar and Baltimore Ravens safety Dawan Landry, brother of LaRon Landry who played for the Jets in 2012 but was lost in free agency, is scheduled for a visit on Wednesday March 27th.  Landry had 100 tackles, 2 pass defenses and 1 interception for the Jaguars last season and played under Jets head coach Rex Ryan (2006-08) when he was defensive coordinator for the Ravens.

The Jets continue their slow, stay and diligent approach to free agentcy looking for those who could provide quality leadership on and off the field at the right price.

Archived