Jets Have NFL's Third Weakest Roster

Bleedin Green

6-10 negates all. You don't have a losing season on Scott and T0m's watch and just get away with it. They're angry and they need cap space. 

You obviously don't see the direction of this team with Rex in charge. Blind homerism is an admirable trait, it is just not one that an NFL can get by with. Idzik does not seem to be following your tact

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And folks, there you have it. Thank you for re-stating it!

It's funny that you are really so sure that you are right.  You speak to Gato and I like we are 3 year old girls from out the country that never saw a football, yet you are adament that the team shouldn't keep Revis, in fact you have basically and probably specifically said that they can't win with him, yet you have no idea what trade offers they are getting or what kind of contract that he actually wants.  You will point to the fact that the team does not win the super bowl in 2013 as some kind of proof and ignore the fact that there are plenty of guys giving value for their contract, while up until 2012 Revis has played up to his. Bravo.  

It's funny that you are really so sure that you are right.  You speak to Gato and I like we are 3 year old girls from out the country that never saw a football, yet you are adament that the team shouldn't keep Revis, in fact you have basically and probably specifically said that they can't win with him, yet you have no idea what trade offers they are getting or what kind of contract that he actually wants.  You will point to the fact that the team does not win the super bowl in 2013 as some kind of proof and ignore the fact that there are plenty of guys not giving value for their contract, while up until 2012 Revis has played up to his. Bravo.  

It's funny that you are really so sure that you are right.  You speak to Gato and I like we are 3 year old girls from out the country that never saw a football, yet you are adament that the team shouldn't keep Revis, in fact you have basically and probably specifically said that they can't win with him, yet you have no idea what trade offers they are getting or what kind of contract that he actually wants.  You will point to the fact that the team does not win the super bowl in 2013 as some kind of proof and ignore the fact that there are plenty of guys giving value for their contract, while up until 2012 Revis has played up to his. Bravo.  

Everyone here thinks they are right. Haven't you noticed?

You might be right.  We might agree.  If we knew that Revis actually wanted $16M or $20M per.  The market is coming down and while Revis has fought for every dollar he hasn't been stupid.

I am just not a fan of paying the entire secondary a disproportionate amount of money in comparison to value for other parts of the team. At some point you have to rectify that.

Unfortunately, Revis has to be somewhat of a sacrificial lamb for the sins of some other bad contracts. If he was in the middle of a contract, or if he was seemingly willing to meet reasonably with the Jets on contract demands, I would not be so gung ho to trade him. But his unreasonable approach to contracts create a double jeopardy situation. 

I would rather the Jets get decent value (TBD) for him than see him walk and they get nothing. It is purely a TEAM approach, not a player

I am just not a fan of paying the entire secondary a disproportionate amount of money in comparison to value for other parts of the team. At some point you have to rectify that.

Unfortunately, Revis has to be somewhat of a sacrificial lamb for the sins of some other bad contracts. If he was in the middle of a contract, or if he was seemingly willing to meet reasonably with the Jets on contract demands, I would not be so gung ho to trade him. But his unreasonable approach to contracts create a double jeopardy situation. 

I would rather the Jets get decent value (TBD) for him than see him walk and they get nothing. It is purely a TEAM approach, not a player

Except that he doesn't have to be a sacrificial lamb.  The bad contracts are basically off the books for 2014.  This will be on Idzik.  As for the secondary, no matter what you think, the defense has worked. They are saving all that pass rush money and manufacturing a pass rush while covering for it with a secondary.  We all would rather they do what is best for the Jets and not necessarily what is best for Revis, but those do things are not mutually exclusive, no matter what you think.

I'm sure that's nothing against you personally, but that's what happens when you align your arguments with Gato.  You're just getting caught in the cross-fire.

As to your last comment, from 2010 through 2012 Revis came nowhere close to earning what he was paid.  Not by a long shot, considering 2011 is the only one of those years for which you could try to make an argument that he did.  The truth of the matter is, he was getting paid, and wants to continue to be paid, based on a 2009 season he has shown no evidence of being able to replicate.

Except that he doesn't have to be a sacrificial lamb.  The bad contracts are basically off the books for 2014.  This will be on Idzik.  As for the secondary, no matter what you think, the defense has worked. They are saving all that pass rush money and manufacturing a pass rush while covering for it with a secondary.  We all would rather they do what is best for the Jets and not necessarily what is best for Revis, but those do things are not mutually exclusive, no matter what you think.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with this if we knew Revis had some sort of reasonable contract demands, but there are two major problems with that: (1) there has been nothing throughout Revis' entire NFL career to suggest that he does, and (2) the Jets have little to no reason to have faith in Revis to honor a contract even if they were able to come to an agreement.

Those are the reasons why what would normally be a situation of "let's try to sign him and only trade him if we absolutely have to" turned into a matter of "let's see what teams are willing to give us for him and if it's not good enough, then maybe we'll talk about a new contract".  At least that seems to be the general impression based on reports, which is all we've really got to go on.

I'm sure that's nothing against you personally, but that's what happens when you align your arguments with Gato.  You're just getting caught in the cross-fire.

As to your last comment, from 2010 through 2012 Revis came nowhere close to earning what he was paid.  Not by a long shot, considering 2011 is the only one of those years for which you could try to make an argument that he did.  The truth of the matter is, he was getting paid, and wants to continue to be paid, based on a 2009 season he has shown no evidence of being able to replicate.

You don't think Revis has played at such a high level since 2009.  I disagree.  Strongly.  The job he did in the playoffs in 2009 and 2010 was above and beyond.  He shut guys down through the playoffs. The simple fact is, Revis isn't the problem and hasn't been.  Getting rid of him doesn't necessarily fix anything.  I want them to maximize the value of the asset.  Some of you guys act like he is the anchor.  Let's get back to criticizing what is actually wrong. Sanchez!

You don't think Revis has played at such a high level since 2009.  I disagree.  Strongly.  The job he did in the playoffs in 2009 and 2010 was above and beyond.  He shut guys down through the playoffs. The simple fact is, Revis isn't the problem and hasn't been.  Getting rid of him doesn't necessarily fix anything.  I want them to maximize the value of the asset.  Some of you guys act like he is the anchor.  Let's get back to criticizing what is actually wrong. Sanchez!

The problem IS cap flexibility today and for the future. 

Personally, I am not a big fan of building secondaries up. I don't believe that is where you spend money in today's NFL.

Just look at our division and the dynasty that is the Patriots. Their secondaries have been turnstiles in personnel and talent. They have let it come and go, with no continuity. And their "defensive numbers" have been horrible, EXCEPT when it gets close to the goal line. And they stiffen there.

That is not a byproduct of a secondary doing their job but more so team defense a defending a spot on the field. They will bend, but don't break. That is not a byproduct of a secondary. It is a byproduct of team defense and scheme.

Do I want good secondary players? Yes! Do I need to have the best and highest paid? No. I don't believe that is what wins in today's NFL

It's not that I don't think he's played at a high level, I just think there's quite a difference between the admittedly exceptional season he had in 2009 and everything since then.  He wants to be paid based on that season that took place 4 years ago now, which is kind of ridiculous.  He has still played well for the most part since that time, but not to the point that it gives me reason to believe there is this massive gap between him and the other top players at his position that some suggest there is, and that he wants his contract to reflect.  I agree that Revis as a player isn't a problem, but a new contract for him at the rate he allegedly wants certainly could be, especially if it's followed up with another holdout after he cashes in on the early years.  And while I also don't think Revis is the big problem with the Jets, I also don't think Revis is some savior that the Jets are doomed without.

But yeah, I'm with you, not sure how this became another Revis thread, it's Sanchez who freakin' sucks!  Truth be told, while there are still plenty of other spots this team could be upgraded, an improvement at QB makes this team like night and day from last year.  Let's be honest though, the Jets are usually much better off with having people think they suck than people think they're any good, so at least they've got that going for them this year.

You obviously don't see the direction of this team with Rex in charge. Blind homerism is an admirable trait, it is just not one that an NFL can get by with. Idzik does not seem to be following your tact

I always forgot your major advantage is that you know the mind of Idzik. ****. Nice trump card. He is doing it maaaaaaad different from how I would do it.

The problem IS cap flexibility today and for the future. 

Personally, I am not a big fan of building secondaries up. I don't believe that is where you spend money in today's NFL.

Just look at our division and the dynasty that is the Patriots. Their secondaries have been turnstiles in personnel and talent. They have let it come and go, with no continuity. And their "defensive numbers" have been horrible, EXCEPT when it gets close to the goal line. And they stiffen there.

That is not a byproduct of a secondary doing their job but more so team defense a defending a spot on the field. They will bend, but don't break. That is not a byproduct of a secondary. It is a byproduct of team defense and scheme.

Do I want good secondary players? Yes! Do I need to have the best and highest paid? No. I don't believe that is what wins in today's NFL

This is exactly where we disagree.  If this is your philosophy you might as well give up now.  You can't compare the team to the Patriots.  Or the Packers or the Saints.  Then you are just waiting around for a HOF QB to come and drag you along.  You want to follow teams like the Ravens, or maybe Steelers.  They have gotten good QB play, but they are capable of winning without it.  

Personally I hate the bend but don't break bullsh*t.  The fact is Belichick is the master of it, but you are comparing a team with a HOF defensive coach and QB.  The Jets have only one of those and it ain't the QB.  I do tend to agree that as GM I might allocate more resources to the O and let Rex deal with making it work with worse players.

sorry bud, I have watched every game for as long as I can remember.  I have had the NFL ticket for the last 6 years and would go to sports bars before that. I could count on 1 hand the number of times I have seen Revis get burned.  All this without help over the top most of the time.  Not sure how you can say he only earned his salary 1 year.

sorry bud, I have watched every game for as long as I can remember.  I have had the NFL ticket for the last 6 years and would go to sports bars before that. I could count on 1 hand the number of times I have seen Revis get burned.  All this without help over the top most of the time.  Not sure how you can say he only earned his salary 1 year.

Easy:

2010 - First half of the season was an absolute embarrassment.  He showed up fat and out of shape, and played mediocre at best because of it.  Got burned a lot more times than your total count in those first couple of games alone.  Then got injured as a direct result of his poor shape.  Came back from injury and played even worse at first, barely lucking out that he didn't cost the Jets the game against the Vikings.  Did he pick it up in the second half of the season?  He most certainly did, but you don't make a guy the top paid CB in the league for half a season, especially considering his poor play was 100% his own doing, so there is absolutely no excuses for that.

2011 - Played great the first half of the season, his play dipped a bit in the second half.  Still very good mind you, but not quite the same level.  As I said, this is the one season I would still say that you could say he earned his pay.  My only point was, it was definitely not on the level of his 2009 season though.

2012 - Played 2 games.

I know people like to play it off that just because I don't think Revis is worth as much as he seems to think he is, or that he ever again played at his 2009 level, that I'm trying to act like he sucks, but that couldn't be further from the truth.  He's obviously an exceptional CB, but the question is if that's enough to justify the kind of commitment it would take to keep him, while passing up what could be gotten in return in a trade.  It's not just anything against Revis either, I would feel the same way if Mangold came around asking for $16 million / year.

This is exactly where we disagree.  If this is your philosophy you might as well give up now.  You can't compare the team to the Patriots.  Or the Packers or the Saints.  Then you are just waiting around for a HOF QB to come and drag you along.  You want to follow teams like the Ravens, or maybe Steelers.  They have gotten good QB play, but they are capable of winning without it.  

Personally I hate the bend but don't break bullsh*t.  The fact is Belichick is the master of it, but you are comparing a team with a HOF defensive coach and QB.  The Jets have only one of those and it ain't the QB.  I do tend to agree that as GM I might allocate more resources to the O and let Rex deal with making it work with worse players.

It is one aspect of the team-the defense. One where they give up bushels of yards through the air, yet are efficient on defense in points allowed.  They were 29th in pass defense, yet 11th in ppg allowed.

If you are telling me that Rex can only duplicate that with Revis, I will tell you that Rex is not worth as much as some say then. BB is doing it with less than Revis. And, Rex has not been doing it as well as BB WITH Revis

I've REALLY lowered my expectations going into this season and they weren't that high going into last season when we had some decent players. I really think trading Revis to help rebuild all the holes we have is the way to go.

I do tend to agree that as GM I might allocate more resources to the O and let Rex deal with making it work with worse players.

It is one aspect of the team-the defense. One where they give up bushels of yards through the air, yet are efficient on defense in points allowed.  They were 29th in pass defense, yet 11th in ppg allowed.

If you are telling me that Rex can only duplicate that with Revis, I will tell you that Rex is not worth as much as some say then. BB is doing it with less than Revis. And, Rex has not been doing it as well as BB WITH Revis

Dude, did you read my post?  Read it again.  I took out the unrelated portions.  Also, again you are comparing him to a guaranteed HOF coach that specializes in that specific item - bend but don't break defense.  Rex can be an all time great DC and not be as good as Belichick.  Your comment is silly.  It's like complaining that the Jets don't build a team like the Pats or Peyton era Colts who have built around HOF QB play.  As if every team has that option.

It's amazing how simple it is, huh?

Can we get back to talking about how much the rest of the team sucks now, please?

Just when I thought I was out...

I've REALLY lowered my expectations going into this season and they weren't that high going into last season when we had some decent players. I really think trading Revis to help rebuild all the holes we have is the way to go.

al_pacino_godfather_3_pull_me_back_in.gi

Dude, did you read my post?  Read it again.  I took out the unrelated portions.  Also, again you are comparing him to a guaranteed HOF coach that specializes in that specific item - bend but don't break defense.  Rex can be an all time great DC and not be as good as Belichick.  Your comment is silly.  It's like complaining that the Jets don't build a team like the Pats or Peyton era Colts who have built around HOF QB play.  As if every team has that option.

The fact of the matter is, except in extreme cases, teams win today with offense, not defense. You can get by with a bad defense. No team today is winning with a bad offense.

And, if we don't have Rex here to be a defensive genius, what reason is he here?

The fact of the matter is, except in extreme cases, teams win today with offense, not defense. You can get by with a bad defense. No team today is winning with a bad offense.

And, if we don't have Rex here to be a defensive genius, what reason is he here?

Did you read my post?  Did you stop paying attention and just decide to continue spewing your agenda?  I thought you were better than this, but I guess not.

For the record, you do not win with offense or defense.  You win by scoring more points than the other team.  There are a million ways to get there. 

A good defense beats a good offense.  See the pats come playoff time or just as any Giant fan. That hasn't changed in any sport..

Archived