Baseball is here...

Maxman

They were both considered top of the rotation guys coming up. What are you failing to understand about that fact?

Newsflash: no one cares what guys were once "considered" many years ago.  What matters is what they ARE.  Hence the Garciaparra-Jeter comment, which you also completely botched.  

Fact remains that you created a fictional argument to try to boast about something completely unimpressive.  The positive for you here is when you argue with yourself, you always win.  But do yourself a favor: the next time you want to draw comparisons, do it with comparable players.  Cleanup hitter vs. cleanup hitter.  2nd baseman vs. 2nd baseman.  Closer vs. closer.  Not #2 vs. #5 starter.  It sounds ridiculous, and it doesn't make anyone envy the laptop thief.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Newsflash: no one cares what guys were once "considered" many years ago. What matters is what they ARE. Hence the Garciaparra-Jeter comment, which you also completely botched.

Fact remains that you created a fictional argument to try to boast about something completely unimpressive. The positive for you here is when you argue with yourself, you always win. But do yourself a favor: the next time you want to draw comparisons, do it with comparable players. Cleanup hitter vs. cleanup hitter. 2nd baseman vs. 2nd baseman. Closer vs. closer. Not #2 vs. #5 starter. It sounds ridiculous, and it doesn't make anyone envy the laptop thief.

LOL at you. Seriously. You inject yourself in a conversation that you admittedly knew nothing about and didn't care about and are now trying to swing the argument to your vantage point which in this context is wrong. I can compare two guys who were supposed to be top of the rotation guys on rival teams that came up about the same time. That makes perfect sense to anyone with half a brain. You also bring up laptops like that adds anything to the argument at all.

I guess we shouldn't compare the careers of Ken O'Brien and Dan Marino because of what they turned out to be. That logic is so flawed and idiotic.

I suppose at this point you should just politely excuse yourself from this conversation.

LOL at you. Seriously. You inject yourself in a conversation that you admittedly knew nothing about and didn't care about and are now trying to swing the argument to your vantage point which in this context is wrong. I can compare two guys who were supposed to be top of the rotation guys on rival teams that came up about the same time. That makes perfect sense to anyone with half a brain. You also bring up laptops like that adds anything to the argument at all.

I guess we shouldn't compare the careers of Ken O'Brien and Dan Marino because of what they turned out to be. That logic is so flawed and idiotic.

I suppose at this point you should just politely excuse yourself from this conversation.

Actually, it's clearly you that doesn't understand context.

Even by the flaw of your your own analogy, you prove this.  No one, not one single Jets fan on earth (not even Ken O'Brien's mother) would argue the case that today Ken O'Brien is a comparable QB to Dan Marino.  The fact that they were drafted in the same year is worthy of discussion, and something we point to as yet another Jets draft mistake, but it has absolutely no bearing on the discussion that one is a retired Hall of Famer and one is just retired.  

This started when you asked stupidly "are Yankees fans still arguing that Hughes is better than Laptop" or whatever.  The answer is no, we are not drawing comparisons here in 2013 between our #5 starter and your #2.  You are doing that, and it's making you look more ridiculous with each passing post.  

So no, I won't be politely doing anything except laughing at you.

Just because two comparable players turn out vastly different at different points in their career doesnt mean you stop comparing them. That's asinine and is just trying to serve your backwards logic. You can compare two things at any time you want to. People still compare how the careers of Manning and Leaf turned out every time Leaf is arrested. I guess ESPN and everyone else who writes and reports like that is flawed. When two players get traded for one another, people always go back and see how things turned out and they compare their careers. The fact that Hughes is a number 5 starter and Buchholz is a 2/3 starter now, just is a tool for comparison sake.

I'm done. You're missing the point entirely. This is what I get for arguing with a potato.

Hughes vs Buchholz is a valid comparison. Where they are in their respective rotations really has nothing to do with anything. 

No, no it isn't.  Solid argument though, lots of references.

They weren't traded for each other.  They weren't drafted in the same year.  They're not from the same state.  They're not the same age.  They aren't similar style pitchers.  They have different roles on their team.  They aren't similar in any way, shape or form.  

It's an illogical comparison used in a weak attempt at boasting.  Following the (lack of) thinking here, I can compare any 2 players in major league baseball, based solely on a misconception that they're somehow comparable.  It's a desperate attempt to pick one Red Sox player, saddle him up to his supposed Yankee twin, and say "my guy is better".  It's absurd, and sad.

This is your best post ever. 

Do you want to know why CC made the original post?   It was discussed around here.  Ad nauseam.  $hit....props to MadMike he actually made some half decent arguments for Hughes that the gap is not as big as RSN might think.

And a little clue CC was joking...he added a "ha ha" after it.

You are literally clueless.

Do you want to know why CC made the original post?   It was discussed around here.  Ad nauseam.  $hit....props to MadMike he actually made some half decent arguments for Hughes that the gap is not as big as RSN might think.

Well done . Can't argue with the mOrons. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Guys. We can't compare Harper and Trout either. JetPotato says so! Drafted different years, different leagues, different sized wieners, different haircuts, one has a hot mom, on doesn't, different astrological signs!!!

I think they have different colored eyes too. ;)

If it was discussed here ad nauseum, that doesn't make it any less of a stupid comparison.

But like I said, congrats to RSN for having a #2 starter with an ERA better than a #5, even though the gap isn't as big as thought  by some.

If it was discussed here ad nauseum, that doesn't make it any less of a stupid comparison.

But like I said, congrats to RSN for having a #2 starter with an ERA better than a #5, even though the gap isn't as big as thought by some.

The gap is a full run and widening. Just give it up already. You look bad in this.

The gap is a full run and widening. Just give it up already. You look bad in this.

Says the guy talking about ERA.  LOL.

By the way, it's pretty difficult to give up an argument I'm not even making, no matter how desperate you are to engage it.

Archived