What would Villain do during the draft?

Villain The Foe

Geno Smith is a good prospect, he's not a great prospect. In other years, he'd be the 3rd guy who goes late in rd 1 like Jason Campbell. 

You know his strengths, these are his weaknesses: 

-bad pocket presence, he's fumbled something ridiculous like 30 times in his career.  Took 2 safeties in the Syracuse bowl game (who does that? besides Mark). 

-real good speed but average height, average arm and average strength. If you saw Geno Smith in real life there's nothing that makes you go "wow" (compared to when Cam Newton, Big Ben or Joe Flacco walk in the room and you are presented with a giant). 

-comes from a texas tech type of one read system. He is a product of the same philosophies that made Cliff Kingsbury a productive college player. 

-misses open men/waits too long to throw on occasion. Mayock has done a real good job of showing his weaknesses on tape. Pete Prisco actually wrote a very detailed article based on film study. 

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/21965093/geno-smith-has-potential-but-not-the-overall-game-to-be-a-top-10-pick

-Skipped the Senior Bowl, despite having alot to prove.  It reminds me of Brady quinn, a player who listened to his agents and the media hype when the league wanted to see him actually play football in a pro setting. Working out at the combine he was good not great in drills. 

-Andy Reid passed on him. This is my biggest knock on the guy. if Reid doesn't want him and would rather have Alex Smith instead, who knows more about drafting QB's than this guy? Seriously, he drafted McNabb, Kolb and Foles, all starter quality or better. Why should the Jets take a guy that 8 teams passed on (and 7 of those teams are desperate at QB)? 

all this being said I don't hate geno Smith. Just question his value in the top 10. Take him in the 20's or early rd 2 sure that's where a player like him should go.

I don't think he's a guy who can beat out anyone year 1. Mark Sanchez would beat out Geno Smith. He'd have to be given the job like how Mark was given the job. Year 3 or 4 maybe he's amazing after sitting and learning (like Aaron Rodgers) but a top 10 pick won't be able to sit and learn. 

You bring up some very good points. However I guess what everyone (meaning us) is forgetting is that there's enough info to support both sides, none of them however tells the future. Take Kurt Warner for example. Look how unsuccessful he was in the Giants offensive scheme. Now imagine if he landed on some team who ran an offense that for some reason Kurt couldnt produce in for whatever reason, like in NY. Imagine the difference of this mans pro career. Imagine all the people who would have said that a team shouldnt have wasted their time on an arena football guy, that those players are the "good, but not good enough" talent class.

Geno Smith has professional talent. You dont put up over 12,000 passing yards in 3 years, avg. 67% completion rate for your career, throw 100 TD's to only 20 INTs amongst your peers and not have "it".

Now I hear what people are saying in regards to Geno's 5 game slump, but let me counter that with this. That Syracuse game Geno completed 68% of his passes, threw for 2 TD's and over 200 yds. This isnt a bad outing statistically as a QB. During that 5 game losing streak he threw for 11TD's and 5 INT's. This means that in the other 8 games he played (7-1 record) Geno threw 31 TD's and 1 INT. Thats ridiculous dude. Want to know something even more ridiculous. Lets see how horrid WVU's defense was. Geno Completed 45 of 51 passing for an 88% completion rate, threw for 656 yards and 8 TD's against baylor and how much did WVU win by you ask? 7 points. 70-63. In 13 games Geno threw for 2 or more TD's in 11 of them, 3 or more TD's in 8 of them, 4 or more TD's in 5 of them and 5 or more in 2 of them. Whats sicker is that in those 13 games, 9 of them he threw 0 INT's and out of the 6 INT's he did throw 4 of them came in 2 games. Yes, he fumbles, but mechanics, scheme and protection can fix this, im talking about decision making with the ball leaves his hand. Geno Smith in that regard is outstanding, and has shown it for a full collegiate career.

Furthermore, for all of the negative light thrown on Geno there are some things that Geno has done that when Sanchez came out they stated was a lack for Sanchez. Geno played all 4 years, 3 full years as a starter and got better in all key QB stats. In his 3 years his completions have gone up while attempts stayed about the same, percentage gone up, TD's gone up, INT's gone down, QB rating gone up, while his yard avg. reached and stayed over 8 yards.

This kid can certainly fall to the 2nd round no doubt, but if he goes in the top 10, sh_t...top 5 for that matter, to call that a reach would be ridiculous. And if the Jets are there at 9 and he's on the board, they better take him. This is a QB league and Geno's college career can size up with the best of them.

Geno at 9 if he's there.

Lots of players have been great in college and put up ridiculous numbers. Vince Young had a ridiculous season. Hell, Leinart and others have too. College numbers don't necessarily translate to the pros. Ask Gholston and a litany of running backs.

College numbers dont mean much unless its supporting your point. There's been alot of players who have put together great college careers and flopped. How many players however have put together a terrible college career and succeeded in the pros? Better yet did they even get there? See what I mean?

Your statement in this regard is pointless.

College numbers dont mean much unless its supporting your point. There's been alot of players who have put together great college careers and flopped. How many players however have put together a terrible college career and succeeded in the pros? Better yet did they even get there? See what I mean?

Your statement in this regard is pointless.

No. It's not. It makes sense, it just goes against your point so you see it as pointless.

After Mark, we need a Qb who takes care of the football. not a guy who can't feel the rush and fumbled 32 times in 4 years. Or took 2 safeties on national TV. 

You forgot to mention.

12,000 yards in 4 years

100 TD's in 4 years

20 INT's in 4 years.

Even if he lost every fumble he'd still have a 2 to 1 TD/turnover ratio.

Kid averaged 230 yards per game passing, 2 TD's per game and threw a TD for every 120 yards passed and barely played his freshman year. He averages 600 yards passing and 5 TD's before throwing an INT.

I'll take the 32 fumbles and 2 safeties on national TV. Heck, we've all taken the butt fumble on PRIME TIME national tv. And you're making a big deal over 4 messily points off 2 safeties as if he's the first one to have a bad game? Really dude? lol.

How many legit college defenses did he face? 

He's not going to run into many cupcake defenses where he can run up his stat totals in the NFL.

Geno played in the big 12 conference, the exact same conference that RG3 was in. I didnt hear about cupcake defenses with RG3 last year.

After Mark, we need a Qb who takes care of the football. not a guy who can't feel the rush and fumbled 32 times in 4 years. Or took 2 safeties on national TV. 

Didn't Peyton Manning throw for 100 yards with one TD and an INT and get benched in his last college game against the immortal Scott Frost? 

FWIW, I had an 11:1 TD:INT ratio, but it wasn't in this country. 

I'll take the 32 fumbles and 2 safeties on national TV. Heck, we've all taken the butt fumble on PRIME TIME national tv. And you're making a big deal over 4 messily points off 2 safeties as if he's the first one to have a bad game? Really dude? lol.

He had 5 bad games and a bad bowl game. He got into a bad losing streak and couldn't compose himself. Alot of the problems Mark has with acting emotional and moody, Geno does it too. 

He had 5 bad games and a bad bowl game. He got into a bad losing streak and couldn't compose himself. Alot of the problems Mark has with acting emotional and moody, Geno does it too. 

His stats during that bad losing streak is pretty impressive for what its worth. He probably couldnt compose himself because his defense was giving up 7 on every damn drive. 

People say if he wins a whole bunch of games that he's playing against cupcake defenses. If he goes on a losing streak its like he's the first QB to do so. I took the games into consideration and I still think that he has great potential. Im not saying that we "must" take him. I still think that Sanchez can be our QB. Im saying however that if Smith was there at 9 and we took him I'd be more than okay with that. He's had a losing streak....so what. Every QB has put together a losing streak and didnt look good doing so, hence the reason why the probably lost. What I dont hear is how opposing teams are putting up 63 points and Smith is pulling out the win more often than not.  That stat people unbelievably pass on. He's good in my book. 

Archived