Yahoo: Bucs offer 1st, 3rd, 6th for Revis; to pay him $15m-$16m

T0mShane

I want to hear that we at least made him an offer. It doesn't matter what these articles say. I want to hear we tried to sign him long term, and that the ego maniac laughed. THEN trade him.

Good point, I agree.  I don't want Revis to go at all, but if the Jets at least made a decent attempt to resign him and thru a reasonable offer at him.....then I wont care as much seeing him traded this year.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the problem with 2014 draft picks is the Jets are losing their best player in 2013. And there will be 8 home games, despite all the "season is already over" gloom and doom. If they don't get a high pick this year, screw em. He's a 27 y.o 3x All Pro for christs sake. 

When all is said and done, they need to take the deal that keeps Revis from playing out the year and becoming a free agent in 2014. Otherwise, it'll be the Jets who are screwed.

I'd like to see something coming back to us in this year's draft.  Give in to the #1 coming in 2014 and squeeze them for a 2nd or 3rd this year in addition to a 3rd next year?  The 6th is worthless and, if the actually Bucs improve by leaps and bounds (stranger things have happened), the 2014 1st and 3rd creep closer to 2nd and 4th round value.

That was my initial reaction as well, but the more I considered it, the less appealing the offer became.  Basically, the Jets will recoup a third round compensatory pick if they let Revis walk in the offseason.  So the trade, on the Jets end, becomes Revis for a one and a six next year.  So if Tampa becomes more competitive this season following several key aquisitions, even the one won't likely be a top 20 pick.  The six is basically a throwaway.  So, is the deal for league's best defensive player really that attractive? Meh.  I think Idzik can afford to sit on it a while, and let the Bucs squirm. 

The 3rd round compensatory pick we'd get would have otherwise been the #1 pick in round 4.  It's only a "3rd round" pick in name because they're adding him to the end of the 3rd round.  But absent a 3rd round compensatory pick being awarded in a given year, that overall pick would have been pick 1 in round 4.

Also that compensatory pick isn't until 2015.  In terms of trade value (theoretical, since you can't trade a comp pick) the #1 pick in round 4 is worth the #1 pick in round 6 today.  And, as others have mentioned, we only get it if we sit on our hands and don't sign a premiere player in 2014 - at a more valuable position than CB - when we'll have plenty more cap space.

A 6th round pick next year is worth (in trade) a 5th round pick in 2015.  It is not a throwaway.  We got Slauson, 3-year starter on our OL, with a 6th round pick.  The (penciled in) starter at safety, Bush, was drafted with a 6th rounder.  Joel Dreesen, who we let go of after 1 year, was drafted with a 6th.  And these are just some Jets draft picks out of a small sample (since we didn't draft a player in round 6 in two of the past three drafts). It's not nearly as valuable as the 3rd or the 1st, of course, but it is not a throwaway.  

I don't make the deal unless I can get picks in this draft.  I think it becomes a 2nd this year and a first next year when all is said and done.

That's where I think this ends up as well. And while it's less than I'd like ideally, that's far from a bad deal. If the Jets draft well that's a starter this year and ammo to get a QB next year. Not bad.

Good point, I agree.  I don't want Revis to go at all, but if the Jets at least made a decent attempt to resign him and thru a reasonable offer at him.....then I wont care as much seeing him traded this year.

Exactly. We hear rumors of this and that, but not once have we heard that we made an offer.. even a low ball offer.

All we are getting is rumors.  All the media is getting is rumors, but for some strange reason, the fans accept the media’s rumors as gospel.  Even though we know they have lied to us repeatedly about “undisclosed sources”  Anything we read form the scribes has no more credence that what posters on here write.

The latest  undisclosed source (me)  thinks the Jets have not made Revis any kind of an offer, nor do they intend to, unless the whole trade thing completely falls apart.  That would be a horrible start to the Idzik era.

IMO, they have all ready decided, during Idzik’s hiring sessions, they are trading Revis.  

Did someone request my services? lol   Well the way Charlie hears it...  The compensation would be for next years draft and the jets insist the pick be for this year. At least the first rounder...  My opinion is that why are the jets so hard after the picks for this year? We are rebuilding and there are no really true out of this world franchise type QB this year anyways.. We will possibly have a top 5 pick next year and if you add the Bucs first rounder we can have a shot at Johnny Football if he comes out and several other prospects.. Other then receiver... this is a weak draft...

It's very important that the Jets new GM not get screwed here. Everyone talks about the "worst case" of the Jets losing him for only a 3rd. The real worst case is the Jets new GM first major move is to get screwed out of the team's best player. And by the way trading Revis this year puts 13 mil dead money on the cap. It should be worth while in the short term, otherwise no deal. The league should know that the Jets aren't easily bent over. That's worth something. 

It's very important that the Jets new GM not get screwed here. Everyone talks about the "worst case" of the Jets losing him for only a 3rd. The real worst case is the Jets new GM first major move is to get screwed out of the team's best player. And by the way trading Revis this year puts 13 mil dead money on the cap. It should be worth while in the short term, otherwise no deal. The league should know that the Jets aren't easily bent over. That's worth something. 

I’m not so sure if a team like the Dolphins sign him in 2014 for 0 compensation they will really have been taught a lesson that the Jets won’t be bent over

If this is true Idzik needs to do this immediately

If he takes too long and the deal falls through he'll irrepairably damage his reputation with NY fans.  He'll be forever known as the guy who let Revis go for nothing when he could have gotten 3 picks.

Im a NY Jet fan and I highly doubt this statement.

I don't believe that anyone will give Revis $14-16MM per.  The Bucs don't need to give him that much.  This is agentspeak, IMO.  His price tag has dropped due to market forces. 

Not necessarily so. What other CB's got paid is their salary for that team. Revis is much better than any of those guys signed mixed with the fact that the Bucs are most desperate in the secondary column and have more than enough money to afford it.

I’m not so sure if a team like the Dolphins sign him in 2014 for 0 compensation they will really have been taught a lesson that the Jets won’t be bent over

I love it how on one hand, Revis is overpriced, selfish, doesn't play important position and a team can't build around him.

But on the other hand God help us if he lands in the division. 

I love it how on one hand, Revis is overpriced, selfish, doesn't play important position and a team can't build around him.

That's because two things that are different, tend to be treated as such.  Most people agree that he is overpriced, selfish and doesn't play a position warranted of the contract he is rumored to want (which is different than you putting words in their mouth saying it's not an important position).

None of those facts take away from him being a phenomenal player, one who you don't want in your division.  I'm not sure how you're confusing the two.

The 3rd round compensatory pick we'd get would have otherwise been the #1 pick in round 4.  It's only a "3rd round" pick in name because they're adding him to the end of the 3rd round.  But absent a 3rd round compensatory pick being awarded in a given year, that overall pick would have been pick 1 in round 4.

Also that compensatory pick isn't until 2015.  In terms of trade value (theoretical, since you can't trade a comp pick) the #1 pick in round 4 is worth the #1 pick in round 6 today.  And, as others have mentioned, we only get it if we sit on our hands and don't sign a premiere player in 2014 - at a more valuable position than CB - when we'll have plenty more cap space.

A 6th round pick next year is worth (in trade) a 5th round pick in 2015.  It is not a throwaway.  We got Slauson, 3-year starter on our OL, with a 6th round pick.  The (penciled in) starter at safety, Bush, was drafted with a 6th rounder.  Joel Dreesen, who we let go of after 1 year, was drafted with a 6th.  And these are just some Jets draft picks out of a small sample (since we didn't draft a player in round 6 in two of the past three drafts). It's not nearly as valuable as the 3rd or the 1st, of course, but it is not a throwaway.  

Not a throwaway, no.  Poor choice of words.  But of minimal value should the Bucs have a season on the plus side of the ledger, making that pick a late 6th.  For as many 6th rounders that remain in the league, there are far more who never see a regular season snap.  It's just the statistical reality.  AS far as the third being a late third, or a really late third, does it make that big a difference in the grand scheme? I'm not saying I wouldn't pull the trigger, Just that I don't mind Idzik's poker face.  For years Tanny capitulated in trades like the Tebow debacle.  Nice to have a real dog in the fight, that''s all.   

No player is over paid.  Any player is worth what a team is willing to pay him.  If a team is foolish, and is willing to pay Revis 16 million, or what ever, to them he is worth that. 

He’s just not worth it to the Jets right now.

In 2013, even with Revis’ depressed salary, The Jets CB’s will count more against the cap, at over 20 million, then any team in the NFL.  In 2014, with Revis no longer on the team, the CB’s cap hit, will still be highest in the NFL, at over 24 million.

They seemingly don’t want to add any more to that unbalance.  Which should  bring up another drama next season when Cro counts over 15 million against the cap

Revis is a good player, no team wants one of their good players to go to a division rival.  Simple

Revis is a good player, no team wants one of their good players to go to a division rival.  Simple

the way you guys talk about him, it's like he's a poison pill for the Jets. Why can't he be a poison pill for the Dolphins? 

Not a throwaway, no.  Poor choice of words.  But of minimal value should the Bucs have a season on the plus side of the ledger, making that pick a late 6th.  For as many 6th rounders that remain in the league, there are far more who never see a regular season snap.  It's just the statistical reality.  AS far as the third being a late third, or a really late third, does it make that big a difference in the grand scheme? I'm not saying I wouldn't pull the trigger, Just that I don't mind Idzik's poker face.  For years Tanny capitulated in trades like the Tebow debacle.  Nice to have a real dog in the fight, that''s all.   

Agreed.  But if the Jets (read: Woody) is hell-bent on not engaging in contract talks with Revis, feeling his top offer would be maybe $10M that Revis would turn down, then I'd take a 1+3+6 this year or next year.  This year would be better I suppose only because you know what you're getting.  At some point I don't want him to overplay his hand.  Revis is a big trade chip, but so far it seems there is only one team that thinks so.  If that one team loses interest, and if we don't want to offer what Revis will accept, then this is better than the privilege of having him for 1 more season where we are not going to be serious superbowl contenders.

the way you guys talk about him, it's like he's a poison pill for the Jets. Why can't he be a poison pill for the Dolphins? 

The way the Dolphins are spending money this year, if they were to sign Revis next year, and don’t win a Super Bowl, he will be a poison pill.  At least for their GM.

Which will make Fish fans rejoice 

Agreed.  But if the Jets (read: Woody) is hell-bent on not engaging in contract talks with Revis, feeling his top offer would be maybe $10M that Revis would turn down, then I'd take a 1+3+6 this year or next year.  This year would be better I suppose only because you know what you're getting.  At some point I don't want him to overplay his hand.  Revis is a big trade chip, but so far it seems there is only one team that thinks so.  If that one team loses interest, and if we don't want to offer what Revis will accept, then this is better than the privilege of having him for 1 more season where we are not going to be serious superbowl contenders.

Sperm gets an A for the day.

Good post

Im a NY Jet fan and I highly doubt this statement.

I didn't say it was fair, but it is a reality.  If Idzik gets anything less than multiple high round picks, or lets Revis walk with nothing but a 3rd rounder to show for it, he'll be destroyed.  Every decision he makes going forward will be compared to how he handled the Revis situation.

Do you think a "regular" Jet fan remembers any of Tannys good moves?

I didn't say it was fair, but it is a reality.  If Idzik gets anything less than multiple high round picks, or lets Revis walk with nothing but a 3rd rounder to show for it, he'll be destroyed.  Every decision he makes going forward will be compared to how he handled the Revis situation.

Do you think a "regular" Jet fan remembers any of Tannys good moves?

Again, based on the words you used I highly doubt your statement. There's much more that this man is doing that is beneficial outside of this Revis potential trade that as a fan I recognize. 

Again, based on the words you used I highly doubt your statement. There's much more that this man is doing that is beneficial outside of this Revis potential trade that as a fan I recognize. 

Well of course dorks like you and I who spend way too much time dissecting every Jets move will know.  I'm talking about the other 95% of Jet fans who can't name the RB, G, or DT that Idzik signed.

Well of course dorks like you and I who spend way too much time dissecting every Jets move will know.  I'm talking about the other 95% of Jet fans who can't name the RB, G, or DT that Idzik signed.

it's true. if Idzik accepts less than a 2013 1st, the tabloids will skewer him. And rightfully so. It's friggin revis. 

Also, to preempt the inevitable: Jason Cole is not a sensationalist tool. He doesn't "make things up." He's one of the more credible reporters out there. Save your "eeeeeeeevil meeeeeeedia" warbling for Manish and Cimini.

jason did not provide a source or even a direct quote

this is probably coming from revis' agents

so yeah

Revis has so much bad-karmic baggage, no team should want him. Trust. I brought his football card to my friend the witch doctor next door and he told me, "Revis will never win anything. His lust and greed will thus prevent him from ever reaching any other goal in life." (in voodoo accent) He is marked dudes. His aura is really in the dumps. Bad karma is for real. Get rid of the scumbag. 

Dudes... everything you are reading about the REvis situation right now, and for the past weeks, has been driven by Revis' agents. Stop reacting as if there's any credibility to it.

Agents want him OUT of NY and landing wherever he gets paid, so they get their take. Which means, I'm sure, they have many reporters / writers on the take too. All in an effort to keep the situation as high-pressure as they can. 

Idzik can't blink. That's all.

Revis has so much bad-karmic baggage, no team should want him. Trust. I brought his football card to my friend the witch doctor next door and he told me, "Revis will never win anything. His lust and greed will thus prevent him from ever reaching any other goal in life." (in voodoo accent) He is marked dudes. His aura is really in the dumps. Bad karma is for real. Get rid of the scumbag. 

Shoot.  A witch doctor?  Man.  Maybe we should all rethink this thing.  I'm agraid of witches and doctors.  Now witches are becoming doctors.  Where will the madness end?  If they get spiders involved then Revis will have to go.  That's where I draws the line.

Bucs willing to give a 2013 first-rounder for Revis, Jets want a lot more

Posted by Mike Florio on April 8, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT

It widely has been believed that the lingering impasse between the Jets and the Buccaneers over cornerback Darrelle Revis arises from the question of whether the Bucs will give up a first-round pick in 2013 to get Revis.

There’s a problem with that widespread belief.  It’s not correct.

Multiple sources with knowledge of the situation tell PFT that the Buccaneers are willing to send the 13th overall pick in the 2013 draft to the Jets for Revis.  The Jets, however, want “a lot more” than this year’s first-round pick, we’re told.

It’s unclear what else the Jets want.  Last month, the Vikings got a first-round pick in 2013, a seventh-round pick in 2013, and a third-round pick in 2014 for receiver Percy Harvin.  It’s possible the Jets want that, or something close to it.

We’ll have more regarding the Revis situation, including full analysis of the odd stare down between Revis and the Jets over his involvement in offseason workouts on Monday’s Pro Football Talk, which gets rolling at 5:00 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Network.

That would be a tease.  It was suggested by Ross Tucker.  Who will be on the show.  And who will be happy to see his name in print.  Or whatever it’s called when your name shows up on a website.

Archived