Yahoo: Bucs offer 1st, 3rd, 6th for Revis; to pay him $15m-$16m

T0mShane

Exactly. It feels good to have them both back there, very secure like no one's going to pass on US.

No doubt.  But when you've got $30M tied up in 2 CBs (on top of another $20M tied up in 2 offensive linemen) your team is probably going to suck unless you are drafting with a crystal ball.  The last time we had a healthy Cro+Revis they combined for $13M on the 2011 cap so the team was able to allocate a lot more money elsewhere in addition to having those two.  That is not the case anymore.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No doubt.  But when you've got $30M tied up in 2 CBs (on top of another $20M tied up in 2 offensive linemen) your team is probably going to suck unless you are drafting with a crystal ball.  The last time we had a healthy Cro+Revis they combined for $13M on the 2011 cap so the team was able to allocate a lot more money elsewhere in addition to having those two.  That is not the case anymore.

What other teams in the league do, and it is really cool, is "next man up". Meaning they develop players behind their star cast. I know that is crazy talk with the former regime here, but they ought to give it a try. 

Teams that devalue draft picks and the ability to develop players are doomed. To rely only on star players is a tough go.

Eric Wright took $6.25M pay cut

Updated: April 11, 2013, 1:48 PM ET
By John Clayton | ESPN.com

Eric Wright, one of the top acquisitions in the 2012 free-agent market, accepted a $6.25 million pay cut to stay with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, according to a source.

NFC South blog

ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas writes about all things NFC South in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

{C}

Wright's new contract is a one-year deal that pays him $1.5 million and makes him a free agent next year. Last year, he signed a five-year, $35.8 million deal that supposedly had $15 million guaranteed.

His four-game suspension last year eliminated the guarantee on his second-year base. He was scheduled to make $7.75 million this year. Because that salary was no longer guaranteed, the Bucs could threaten to cut him if he didn't take a pay cut.

Wright started 10 games last season, finishing with one interception, seven passes defensed and 39 tackles.

With the Wright pay reduction, the Bucs now have $32.9 million of cap room, second most in the league.

The team announced Wright's restructured one-year deal on Tuesday but didn't disclose terms.

So Revis is worth 15 million dollars coming off an injury- Wright takes 6 million pay cut.for 1. 2 million- compare that

this 15 million dollar number is pure fiction. Until Revis signs a new deal and they break it down, that number is meaningless. I will bet cash money that Revis doesn't actually get 15 million per year guaranteed. It's an agent number. 

this 15 million dollar number is pure fiction. Until Revis signs a new deal and they break it down, that number is meaningless. I will bet cash money that Revis doesn't actually get 15 million per year guaranteed. It's an agent number. 

Nobody gets GUARANTEED 15mil + per year on a long term contract. 

Pretty much, and that's best case. 

Pretty much, and that's best case. 

"Agent contracts" are when a player is close to the end of his career and a club may give an extended contract with a high back end salary, that everyone realizes will never be met. The player will get cut, and the guaranteed portion gets accelerated into the year he is cut.

Revis is 27, this is not a contract that someone will "make up" numbers that they feel won't materialize. Someone could get seriously burned there

"Number" and "contract" do not mean the same thing. 

So an agent will float a high number to the public, only to have their player sign for less?

That is a brilliant strategy, and will enhance that agent in the eyes of other players.

"Oh, so you mean you are able to get me less than an advertised price? Sign me on"

Color me a skeptic, but based on prior actions of said player, I don't see him taking the same annual average salary as his last contract. He is looking for a payday.

as you've pointed out in a million threads, the CB market is cratered. Revis isn't getting 15 per year. That ship has sailed.

as you've pointed out in a million threads, the CB market is cratered. Revis isn't getting 15 per year. That ship has sailed.

The issue is this: if Revis was prepared to sign an $11 mil deal, there'd be a lot more interest in him other than Tampa. The likeliest scenario--IMO--is that Revis signs a three year deal averaging $13 mil, with a majority of that guaranteed.

The issue is this: if Revis was prepared to sign an $11 mil deal, there'd be a lot more interest in him other than Tampa. The likeliest scenario--IMO--is that Revis signs a three year deal averaging $13 mil, with a majority of that guaranteed.

Another deal the Jets can afford to make. 

Another deal the Jets can afford to make.

They can't really up the money this year because they have minimal cap room, so you'd be asking Revis to defer his bump until next season and beyond. The question then becomes, if he has to wait anyway, why doesn't he just go to free agency where he can pick and choose where he wants to play, and for how much? Unless he thinks his knee is toast, he'd be wise to go into free agency.

They can't really up the money this year because they have minimal cap room, so you'd be asking Revis to defer his bump until next season and beyond. The question then becomes, if he has to wait anyway, why doesn't he just go to free agency where he can pick and choose where he wants to play, and for how much? Unless he thinks his knee is toast, he'd be wise to go into free agency.

The extremely obvious answer is that there is no urge to play anywhere else. Well there's that and then I thought nobody wanted him and wants to pay him? Isn't only one team interested? Didn't Science prove that already? 

They can do fine with the money. He saw plenty money in his last contract and it opened with a salary lower than 9 million. 

The extremely obvious answer is that there is no urge to play anywhere else.

Sources close to...?

Well there's that and then I thought nobody wanted him and wants to pay him? Isn't only one team interested? Didn't Science prove that already?

There's a big difference between paying someone $13 mil per and trading multiple high picks for the right to pay someone $13 mil per. Also, Revis will have proven his health before next year, removing the doubt that he's a gimp. Also, the Jets will suck this year.

They can do fine with the money. He saw plenty money in his last contract and it opened with a salary lower than 9 million.

Revis, 2014: "You know what? I have enough money. I just wanna play for the love of the game now."

Revis gets an MRI Monday and starts running next week. He's been running on a treadmill recently.

did you see the special on Revis last night on NFL network?  I missed it but it looked like he was doing a hell of a lot more on the previews.

They can't really up the money this year because they have minimal cap room, so you'd be asking Revis to defer his bump until next season and beyond.  

thats not how new deals work. First off trading Revis is worse for the cap than keeping him. Re-signing him they can drop his 2013 cap number to a minimum and bump the bonus cap hit across several years. 

Strictly speaking, for 2013 the best the Jets can do cap-wise is re-sign Revis. I'm not making it up. Ask Jason. 

Sources close to...?

There's a big difference between paying someone $13 mil per and trading multiple high picks for the right to pay someone $13 mil per. Also, Revis will have proven his health before next year, removing the doubt that he's a gimp. Also, the Jets will suck this year.

Revis, 2014: "You know what? I have enough money. I just wanna play for the love of the game now."

Also, $13M/year from TB = $16M/year from the Jets

thats not how new deals work. First off trading Revis is worse for the cap than keeping him. Re-signing him they can drop his 2013 cap number to a minimum and bump the bonus cap hit across several years. 

Strictly speaking, for 2013 the best the Jets can do cap-wise is re-sign Revis. I'm not making it up. Ask Jason. 

And what are the Jets' chances at a SB this year with Revis? Zero.

the problem with that is Revis wants QB type money- hindering our salary cap to put a competitive "whole" team on the field for years to come.

considering the Jets don't have a QB deserving of the money, or any chance of finding one in free agency, i don't see the problem. You take the money away from Revis, who gets it? I've asked this question a hundred different ways without any answers that make sense. If the JEts draft a QB they won't have to pay him "QB money" for 4-5 years. 

This team is not about 2013. It is building beyond that. Teams that suck, that focus on one year are stupid. I don't want the Jets to be stupid.

Archived