Jets | Geno Smith to visit

FoxJet

IF the Jets go for a QB in 2013, I'd rather wait for later rounds and pick a Zac Dysert or Sean Renfree. Or just wait till 2014 and get a more 'franchise-like' pick. 

if there any amazing franchise qbs in next years draft they will go top 4 which i seriously doubt the jets will have

For the record we will not pick Geno Smith. Take it to the bank

Because he will assuredly be selected before us, not really a bold statement.  However, if you were to say that if Geno fell, we'd pass, then I'd say that's a confident assertion.  I personally think they take him if he falls, I just don't think he falls.  We shall see.

Because he will assuredly be selected before us, not really a bold statement.  However, if you were to say that if Geno fell, we'd pass, then I'd say that's a confident assertion.  I personally think they take him if he falls, I just don't think he falls.  We shall see.

If geno falls, we pass. 

If geno falls, we pass. 

Is this because he's only worth a fraction of a win and not multiple wins like Revis or two guards??  If he's not even worth a full win, then I'm with you, I say we stand pat with our current quarterback situation and instead draft the player who can single-handedly net us multiple wins.

Is this because he's only worth a fraction of a win and not multiple wins like Revis or two guards??  If he's not even worth a full win, then I'm with you, I say we stand pat with our current quarterback situation and instead draft the player who can single-handedly net us multiple wins.

did you just compare Geno Smith to Revis? 

did you just compare Geno Smith to Revis? 

I sure did, as well as Carl Nicks and Davin Joseph to boot.  If you're right in your assessment of Revis and the tandem of Nicks/Joseph are equally worth two wins apiece, and I have no reason to believe that you aren't, then I feel we should look to draft whatever player single-handedly can give us the most wins.  

I sure did, as well as Carl Nicks and Davin Joseph to boot.  If you're right in your assessment of Revis and the tandem of Nicks/Joseph are equally worth two wins apiece, and I have no reason to believe that you aren't, then I feel we should look to draft whatever player single-handedly can give us the most wins.  

it's not even a given that Geno could beat out Sanchez. 

Hah how bad can you get-Smith will not throw a buttball i am sure of that

Just because Sanchez is gay does not make him worse than Geno. :)

Seriously, If you draft an iffy QB in the first round good luck having any success for the next 5 years!

And the JETS are in a worse shape right now both talent and cap wise than they were when they drafted Sanchez. So they just cannot take a chance with Geno.

drafting Geno and expecting him to start is actually the same thing that happened to Mark. Mark was given the job based on his draft position and a lack of competition. He was gifted the job of starting QB. If the Jets draft Geno and start him he will also be given the job. 

as bad as Mark has been, there's nothing in Geno's career that suggests he'd be better than Mark in the short term. In fact he has the same problems dealing with pressure and feeling the rush. He has 30 fumbles in his college career. If geno develops yeah year 3 or 4 maybe he's awesome. He's got potential to be much better. But starting a guy based on potential, i feel this franchise has already made that mistake. Hopefully the next starting QB of the Jets earns it. 

I'm of the mindset that, if you think this guy can become a franchise quarterback then you roll the dice. Worst case with the new CBA you try again in a couple years. Just have to hope he doesn't string you along like a Ponder/Dalton/Locker who I think eventually end up getting replaced (maybe not Dalton, but who knows, think he benefits a ton from Green).

That said, the current situation for a high first round rookie QB is terrible. The Jets have no idea who's starting at 2 offensive line spots (Colon is likely, but also likely to get injured), have no real TE to speak of, no established RB which means there's a question of whether or not he'll have a run game to take pressure off him, and the best WR by far on the team is also considered to be a negative locker room guy who probably isn't on the team after this year. And that's if he wins the job, which if he does people will likely say he's been "given" the job. On the other hand if he doesn't, unless they absolutely say he'll sit, then he lost the job to Mark Sanchez who is terrible. And after the season he'll likely have to deal with a new coaching staff (and possibly a new offensive system) because the head coach seems likely to be out the door.

I'm generally all for drafting QB's, but if there was ever a year to think the situation probably isn't right for a player's long term develop I think this is the one.

IF the Jets go for a QB in 2013, I'd rather wait for later rounds and pick a Zac Dysert or Sean Renfree. Or just wait till 2014 and get a more 'franchise-like' pick. 

It all comes down to what Idzik thinks about Geno.

At this point I agree with Bitonti and think that Idzik is the anti-tannenbaum  - making smart, risk averse moves to better the team rather than make headlines.   Any 1st rd QB is loaded with risk, a late round flyer on Renfree or Bray is a no-brainer and seems to fit with the MO.

It all comes down to what Idzik thinks about Geno.

At this point I agree with Bitonti and think that Idzik is the anti-tannenbaum  - making smart, risk averse moves to better the team rather than make headlines.   Any 1st rd QB is loaded with risk, a late round flyer on Renfree or Bray is a no-brainer and seems to fit with the MO.

This is what makes or breaks franchises though.    If they think Geno has a ton of upside and is the guy, then they should pick him.  If they don't think he's the guy, then they don't pick him.  I'm not sold on him, but hell plenty of teams weren't sold on Rodgers either. Plenty of teams weren't sold on Marino.   The Giants went all in on trading for Manning and gave up a hell of a lot to get him.   They could have just kept all their draft picks and had Rivers.  Sometimes you either think that's the guy or you don't.  

If a GM would rather make the safe picks, it doesn't always mean its a good thing.  It just means you pass on a Rodgers or Moss or Marino. It might mean taking a Dbrick instead of a Jay Cutler.  Or taking a Gholston instead of a Flacco.   I'm not going to be pissed when the Jets don't take him, but I'm hoping the Jets have more knowledge about the guy then I do.  I'm hoping the new GM doesn't just make safe picks.  If Geno is their guy, then that's the way it is.  Nobody was really complaining about Sanchez when the Jets were in back to back AFC Championship games.  And he wasn't really good then either.  It wasn't until the team fell apart the past two seasons and Sanchez got worse and worse.

At this time last year, most draft experts could have given you a dozen reasons why Russell Wilson would not start his first year and why he wasn't a franchise QB.

Sanchez went to 2 straight AFC Championship games....I believe the jury is still out on Wilson...

You're not drafting Geno Smith for the short term. In fact, I'd rather Sanchez started for a half season so he can get his head beat in while Rex tries to eke out eight wins.

Gee dude for once we're on the same page.

Ian Rapoport from NFL.com has reported that West Virginia WR Geno Smith will be visiting the Jets on Wednesday and Thursday this week.

This is a case of the Jets doing their homework.  KFFL believes that Smith will be a top 5 pick, and the Jets pick 9th.  With so many holes to fill, it is doubtful the Jets would go the QB route in round one, even if Smith were available.

West Virginia QB
Geno Smith
said he is capable of running any style of offense at the pro level and is simply not an option quarterback. “I think I have the skill set that fits any offense,” Smith said. “I can play within the pocket but I’m athletic enough to run that style of offense. I have the ability to. I don’t think that’s my game. I don’t think my game is predicated around that. If a coach wants me to, I’ll definitely be all for it.”

New offensive coordinator, Marty Morhinweg, will be tasked with trying to rebuild Mark Sanchez or making due with newly signed David Garrard.

Some additional information on Geno Smith can be found in our

Sanchez went to 2 straight AFC Championship games....I believe the jury is still out on Wilson...

The case is over for Sanchez. Done. Convicted. Gone to bogeyland after this year. Russel Wilson will still be playing football  long after Sanchez becomes a curse word spoken on the lips of children everywhere.

Archived