•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

If we get picks 9 & 13, how would you react if both picks are WRs?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 AirForceJetFan

AirForceJetFan

Veteran

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 7,733 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:48 AM

Obviously a hypothetical, but what if Idzik gets TB's first rounder and uses is to pick Patterson and Austin?

It's a passing league now, and the Jets are currently sitting there with a banged up unproven #1 in Holmes, who many feel will be gone after this season.  An unproven but freakishly talented second year guy in Hill, and a damn good slot guy in Holmes. 

If Holmes is healthy, and Hill makes any progress at all, there is no team in the league that's deep enough to cover that many good WRs. 

Before we start with the "but we don't have a QB to throw the ball" argument, stop it.  This team is weak at QB and this draft is weak at QB.  Does that mean you stop trying to improve your team until you get a QB?  No.  Get some weapons that can make our current QB's better or help the next guy be great.

I'm not saying that this is the route I'd prefer the FO take, but I can't say I'd be heartbroken if they did.

#2 Cyberjet

Cyberjet

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:28 AM

🙀

#3 Smashmouth

Smashmouth

Make us proud Wrecks

• Members
  • 13,326 posts
  • LocationDallas Tx.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:55 AM

Obviously a hypothetical, but what if Idzik gets TB's first rounder and uses is to pick Patterson and Austin?

It's a passing league now, and the Jets are currently sitting there with a banged up unproven #1 in Holmes, who many feel will be gone after this season.  An unproven but freakishly talented second year guy in Hill, and a damn good slot guy in Holmes. 

If Holmes is healthy, and Hill makes any progress at all, there is no team in the league that's deep enough to cover that many good WRs. 

Before we start with the "but we don't have a QB to throw the ball" argument, stop it.  This team is weak at QB and this draft is weak at QB.  Does that mean you stop trying to improve your team until you get a QB?  No.  Get some weapons that can make our current QB's better or help the next guy be great.

I'm not saying that this is the route I'd prefer the FO take, but I can't say I'd be heartbroken if they did.

Holmes is Proven to be inconsistent and an a$$hole in the locker room and on the field. This team needs skill players on offense in a bad way true but they will probably use one of those picks on a pass rusher or trade out if their guy is not there

Proud Member of the AVM

#4 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,483 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:03 AM

If by 2 WRs you mean a to flight WR and Eifert, I'd be okay with it. 2 straight up WRs would be a terrible decision.

#5 JetsFanInDenver

JetsFanInDenver

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:03 AM

I hope we trade down one of the two picks say in the lower teens and then draft Eifert!

#6 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 19,617 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:13 AM

I would react in a surprised fashion. I don't think they'll take two WRs over the course of the draft, let alone in the first round.

I do think that if they got the #13, that they'd be very aggressively trying to trade down from one of those first rounders. Add extra picks, and maybe be in a better position to take the QB they like best late in the first. Or TE, or RB...
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#7 The Crusher

The Crusher

More Please!!!

• Moderators
  • 29,662 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:17 AM

The thing is young wideouts never flourish with crappy QB's no matter what their skill set.  Dumb to waste both picks on wideouts.  No rookie wide out will make our weak QB's better. Yet a nice O-lineman could at least improve the running game and not suffer in maturation the way a wideout with a terrible QB would..  

#8 The Crusher

The Crusher

More Please!!!

• Moderators
  • 29,662 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:19 AM

Holmes is Proven to be inconsistent and an a$$hole in the locker room and on the field. This team needs skill players on offense in a bad way true but they will probably use one of those picks on a pass rusher or trade out if their guy is not there

Ass hole 100% yes.  Inconsistent?  Dude tuff to be consistent when the all is thrown over your head or behind you 60% of the time.  His run after the catch made Sanchez look like a star the first two years.  Can;t deny that.

#9 Cyberjet

Cyberjet

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:01 AM

Like any team you build a team around the QB - no matter who he is. The reality is you aren't going anywhere without an above average QB - right now the Jets QB situation seems dire but you never know what may happen - you build the team with the expectation that the Jets will have a QB that will take charge. At this time I don't think the Jets can afford to get 2 WRs in the 1st round. They need to build the OL and secure the TE position plus get them safety depth. Are we convinced that there are no hidden gems in the array of WRs the Jets have now?

#10 JoeC36

JoeC36

JetNation's Keeper Of The Anals

• Moderators
  • 11,864 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

One WR id be okay with. But two i don't think i could handle. Like previously said Eifert i would be fine with, but not two straight wide receivers.

289 Time Post of the Week Loser

#11 LionelRichie

LionelRichie

Veteran

• Members
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

I'd like to see Idzik turn Revis + #9 + #39 into a starting WR, OG, S, TE.   

That's 4 players with 2 picks + Revis so they probably need to move down once.  I would be more than happy with:

Patterson - wr

Cooper - OG

Elam - S

McDonald - TE

#12 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 58,773 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:43 AM

I would be as upset as when the Jets took Alex Van Dyke with the 1st pick in the 2nd round after leading off with Keyshawn!

The largest independent community of NY Jets fans on the web. Visit our blog, Facebook page and Twitter.

#13 AirForceJetFan

AirForceJetFan

Veteran

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 7,733 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

I would be as upset as when the Jets took Alex Van Dyke with the 1st pick in the 2nd round after leading off with Keyshawn!

LOL...I actually googled Alex Van Dyke after I started this thread.  Made me think of the same draft and I wanted to take a look at his career stats for a chuckle.  A very....sad....chuckle.

#14 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 19,617 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

I'd like to see Idzik turn Revis + #9 + #39 into a starting WR, OG, S, TE.   

That's 4 players with 2 picks + Revis so they probably need to move down once.  I would be more than happy with:

Patterson - wr
Cooper - OG
Elam - S
McDonald - TE

I'd take Eifert over Cooper 100 times out of 100. Take a guard in the third round, if that early.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#15 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 28,738 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

A year after Chrebet had a damn good rookie season, and like a month after signing Jeff Graham (coming off a 1300-yard season).  Had Graham, Keyshawn, and Chrebet in the slot.  So what do the Jets do with the #1 pick in round 2? Why, draft a WR of course! And the worst one in the draft, to boot! (Drafted after Van Dyke: Amani Toomer, Muhsin Muhammad, Bobby Engram, T.O., Joe Horn, and a couple other good ones.).  And didn't he have a killer drop over the middle in the AFCCG? Yecch.

I wouldnt' take 2 WRs in round 1 unless the team needs just 1 as the missing piece and we're hedging bets that one of them will be a bust.  And even then I wouldn't do it.  

JetNation.com

#16 faba

faba

• Moderators
  • 25,764 posts
  • LocationHolmdel

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

This team has too many holes to fill to devote two high picks to one position

Treat people with how you want to be treated-with respect.

#17 Villain The Foe

Villain The Foe

6 Years Is Enough. Time To Fire Rex

• Members
  • 3,631 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

I wouldnt mind two receivers but not two wide receivers. I would draft Austin and Eifert. Hill is still a work in progress and he has the raw talent to be a beast in this league. I wouldnt give up on him. If he puts it together it'll be sweet. You put Hill together with a playmaker like Austin and a TE like Eifert with Marty at the offensive controls and you have a receiving offense.

NYJetsScript.gif

#18 Greenseed4

Greenseed4

Eskimo Brother

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

This draft is do deep at WR, we'd get better value making multiple picks in a different round. Say the 2nd or 3rd.

I think we'd be better off with a combo of Patton, Hopkins, Wheaton, Woods, Hunter, etc. than the top two WRs in the first.

#19 flgreen

flgreen

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 17,181 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

Exactly

As dismal as that has been this year, there would be a lot of hockey for me next year

#20 Integrity28

Integrity28

Told you so.

• Members
  • 34,300 posts
  • Locationwrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

Benny Hill theme song.

"Idz a process."

Posted Image

#21 JADEDGREEN

JADEDGREEN

Annoying

• Banned
  • 2,160 posts
  • LocationFree

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

Benny Hill theme song.

Is Bob Robbins you, or your wife?

#22 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,534 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

Integrity got married? Why, he never told us!

Id boo my little tush off if they doubled up on WRs in the first.

Edited by SenorGato, 09 April 2013 - 09:39 AM.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#23 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,139 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world but keep in mind there's tremendous WR value in rd 2/3 this year. 

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#24 Il Mostro

Il Mostro

Cazzone

• Members
  • 5,152 posts
  • LocationOut West

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

Ass hole 100% yes.  Inconsistent?  Dude tuff to be consistent when the all is thrown over your head or behind you 60% of the time.  His run after the catch made Sanchez look like a star the first two years.  Can;t deny that.

You forgot the 39% that are frozen ropes thrown 5 yards in front of him.

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Then it's just fun.

#25 j4jets

j4jets

Numbers guy!

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

Problem is, even if the draft was super strong at QB, none would have lasted till the 9th. Almost every team picking ahead of the Jets had a QB need at the start of the off season. You can draft one of the best WRs in the game and still won't be feared as a passing team (Larry Fitzgerald and the Cards last year). Obviously, Mark is much better than the QBs Cards had (and I think Mark will have a solid season), but Jets have Hill, Holmes and Kerley. We know Kerley is the best slot receiver in NY since Wayne and I have faith in Hill as well. Holmes is also a solid WR. We may not have a true #1, but if Hill plays to his potential, Holmes can be great like he was his first year along with Edward (whom the Jets need not to waste a second to resign).

Maybe Im overly optimistic. I know Im a glass half full type of a guy. Having said all that, I wouldn't if the Jets picked a WR in the first round. WR is not an immediate need though and we'd be much better served if we drafted OLBs and/or LG/RG.

Definitely NOT TWO WRs in the first round.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users