If we get picks 9 & 13, how would you react if both picks are WRs?

AFJF

Obviously a hypothetical, but what if Idzik gets TB's first rounder and uses is to pick Patterson and Austin?

It's a passing league now, and the Jets are currently sitting there with a banged up unproven #1 in Holmes, who many feel will be gone after this season.  An unproven but freakishly talented second year guy in Hill, and a damn good slot guy in Holmes. 

If Holmes is healthy, and Hill makes any progress at all, there is no team in the league that's deep enough to cover that many good WRs. 

Before we start with the "but we don't have a QB to throw the ball" argument, stop it.  This team is weak at QB and this draft is weak at QB.  Does that mean you stop trying to improve your team until you get a QB?  No.  Get some weapons that can make our current QB's better or help the next guy be great.

I'm not saying that this is the route I'd prefer the FO take, but I can't say I'd be heartbroken if they did.

Obviously a hypothetical, but what if Idzik gets TB's first rounder and uses is to pick Patterson and Austin?

It's a passing league now, and the Jets are currently sitting there with a banged up unproven #1 in Holmes, who many feel will be gone after this season.  An unproven but freakishly talented second year guy in Hill, and a damn good slot guy in Holmes. 

If Holmes is healthy, and Hill makes any progress at all, there is no team in the league that's deep enough to cover that many good WRs. 

Before we start with the "but we don't have a QB to throw the ball" argument, stop it.  This team is weak at QB and this draft is weak at QB.  Does that mean you stop trying to improve your team until you get a QB?  No.  Get some weapons that can make our current QB's better or help the next guy be great.

I'm not saying that this is the route I'd prefer the FO take, but I can't say I'd be heartbroken if they did.

Holmes is Proven to be inconsistent and an a$$hole in the locker room and on the field. This team needs skill players on offense in a bad way true but they will probably use one of those picks on a pass rusher or trade out if their guy is not there

I would react in a surprised fashion. I don't think they'll take two WRs over the course of the draft, let alone in the first round.

I do think that if they got the #13, that they'd be very aggressively trying to trade down from one of those first rounders. Add extra picks, and maybe be in a better position to take the QB they like best late in the first. Or TE, or RB...

The thing is young wideouts never flourish with crappy QB's no matter what their skill set.  Dumb to waste both picks on wideouts.  No rookie wide out will make our weak QB's better. Yet a nice O-lineman could at least improve the running game and not suffer in maturation the way a wideout with a terrible QB would..  

Holmes is Proven to be inconsistent and an a$$hole in the locker room and on the field. This team needs skill players on offense in a bad way true but they will probably use one of those picks on a pass rusher or trade out if their guy is not there

Ass hole 100% yes.  Inconsistent?  Dude tuff to be consistent when the all is thrown over your head or behind you 60% of the time.  His run after the catch made Sanchez look like a star the first two years.  Can;t deny that.

Like any team you build a team around the QB - no matter who he is. The reality is you aren't going anywhere without an above average QB - right now the Jets QB situation seems dire but you never know what may happen - you build the team with the expectation that the Jets will have a QB that will take charge. At this time I don't think the Jets can afford to get 2 WRs in the 1st round. They need to build the OL and secure the TE position plus get them safety depth. Are we convinced that there are no hidden gems in the array of WRs the Jets have now?

I would be as upset as when the Jets took Alex Van Dyke with the 1st pick in the 2nd round after leading off with Keyshawn!

I would be as upset as when the Jets took Alex Van Dyke with the 1st pick in the 2nd round after leading off with Keyshawn!

LOL...I actually googled Alex Van Dyke after I started this thread.  Made me think of the same draft and I wanted to take a look at his career stats for a chuckle.  A very....sad....chuckle.

I'd like to see Idzik turn Revis + #9 + #39 into a starting WR, OG, S, TE.   

That's 4 players with 2 picks + Revis so they probably need to move down once.  I would be more than happy with:

Patterson - wr

Cooper - OG

Elam - S

McDonald - TE

I'd take Eifert over Cooper 100 times out of 100. Take a guard in the third round, if that early.

A year after Chrebet had a damn good rookie season, and like a month after signing Jeff Graham (coming off a 1300-yard season).  Had Graham, Keyshawn, and Chrebet in the slot.  So what do the Jets do with the #1 pick in round 2? Why, draft a WR of course! And the worst one in the draft, to boot! (Drafted after Van Dyke: Amani Toomer, Muhsin Muhammad, Bobby Engram, T.O., Joe Horn, and a couple other good ones.).  And didn't he have a killer drop over the middle in the AFCCG? Yecch.

I wouldnt' take 2 WRs in round 1 unless the team needs just 1 as the missing piece and we're hedging bets that one of them will be a bust.  And even then I wouldn't do it.  

I wouldnt mind two receivers but not two wide receivers. I would draft Austin and Eifert. Hill is still a work in progress and he has the raw talent to be a beast in this league. I wouldnt give up on him. If he puts it together it'll be sweet. You put Hill together with a playmaker like Austin and a TE like Eifert with Marty at the offensive controls and you have a receiving offense.

This draft is do deep at WR, we'd get better value making multiple picks in a different round. Say the 2nd or 3rd.

I think we'd be better off with a combo of Patton, Hopkins, Wheaton, Woods, Hunter, etc. than the top two WRs in the first.

Ass hole 100% yes.  Inconsistent?  Dude tuff to be consistent when the all is thrown over your head or behind you 60% of the time.  His run after the catch made Sanchez look like a star the first two years.  Can;t deny that.

You forgot the 39% that are frozen ropes thrown 5 yards in front of him.

Problem is, even if the draft was super strong at QB, none would have lasted till the 9th. Almost every team picking ahead of the Jets had a QB need at the start of the off season. You can draft one of the best WRs in the game and still won't be feared as a passing team (Larry Fitzgerald and the Cards last year). Obviously, Mark is much better than the QBs Cards had (and I think Mark will have a solid season), but Jets have Hill, Holmes and Kerley. We know Kerley is the best slot receiver in NY since Wayne and I have faith in Hill as well. Holmes is also a solid WR. We may not have a true #1, but if Hill plays to his potential, Holmes can be great like he was his first year along with Edward (whom the Jets need not to waste a second to resign).

Maybe Im overly optimistic. I know Im a glass half full type of a guy. Having said all that, I wouldn't if the Jets picked a WR in the first round. WR is not an immediate need though and we'd be much better served if we drafted OLBs and/or LG/RG.

Definitely NOT TWO WRs in the first round.

We are in desperate need of a top flight TE.  Not to mention, the best WR in this draft -- Aaron Dobson -- will not go in the 1st.  I have to think they are looking for a pass rusher  in round 1.  The passing game is the most important component in today's game.  The next most important thing is a player(s) who is adept disrupting the opponents passing game -- the Jets, despite having good young talent on the DL, still do not have that player.

I'd like to see Idzik turn Revis + #9 + #39 into a starting WR, OG, S, TE.   

That's 4 players with 2 picks + Revis so they probably need to move down once.  I would be more than happy with:

Patterson - wr

Cooper - OG

Elam - S

McDonald - TE

I'd like Idzik turn sh*t in to gold....I agree with getting an additional pick, but the WR needs to be NOT Patterson. And I prefer Warmack over Cooper. Warmack is an elite run blocker and can drive you to the wall. He is a very well rounded guard that will be durable and productive for years and will start immediately. Cooper is also an immediate starter, but he's not as god as Warmack in pass protection. He is however on about the same level as Warmack in the run protection. Being a little quicker than Warmack makes him better at the second level (not that we ever got to see that with our run game lately).

it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world but keep in mind there's tremendous WR value in rd 2/3 this year. 

Likely including former top WR in the draft Keenan Allen after he ran in the 4.7's twice today.

LOL...I actually googled Alex Van Dyke after I started this thread.  Made me think of the same draft and I wanted to take a look at his career stats for a chuckle.  A very....sad....chuckle.

He caught 25 passes in 3 years with the Jets.  But his numbers get worse from there, he played two more years with the Eagles and caught 1 pass.

Archived