Jets | Dawan Landry signed

FoxJet

Definitely liking this move.  The Jets had absolutely nothing at safety, he doesn't have the health issues a lot of this year's signings have had and at 30, isn't all THAT old.  Not to mention, Rex is obviously quite familiar with him.  Assuming it's not a particularly expensive deal, don't see any reason to dislike this, especially since Idzik has continued on with his trend of avoiding costing the Jets any comp picks with these signings.

Another potentially good low key free agent signing by Idzik.

Yup.

He's pro-actively replacing a lot of the veteran depth that was purged over the past 2 seasons. When Rex arrived, we had a lot of accomplished veterans, guys that understood what it took to be a professional athlete. It helped the team be a team, and is often the difference between a group of guys coming together towards a common goal, and a bunch of self-entitled assholes never getting it and finger-pointing when sh*t goes wrong.

The first 2 years of Rex is an attainable goal... with the right balance of accomplished veterans and young players. Idzik seems to be restoring what he can of the veteran side with low-cost FA additions, and it would appear he is banking on a huge influx of youth. Be it drafted players, or UDFA, there's going to be a lot of young-uns on this team.

The key is, it appears, Idzik knows Rex cannot corral the young guys on his own (few coaches can, if any). So he's getting some personalities in the fold that can help shape the collective character of the team.

So far, I'm a fan of Idzik. 

Definitely liking this move.  The Jets had absolutely nothing at safety, he doesn't have the health issues a lot of this year's signings have had and at 30, isn't all THAT old.  Not to mention, Rex is obviously quite familiar with him.  Assuming it's not a particularly expensive deal, don't see any reason to dislike this, especially since Idzik has continued on with his trend of avoiding costing the Jets any comp picks with these signings.

As well as Bell played last season, age/injuries alone make Landry an upgrade at the low cost/veteran safety spot.

The New York Jets and free agent safety Dawan Landry have agreed to terms, according to ESPN New York’s Rich Cimini:

Landry, to the surprise of no one, is a lot like his older brother LaRon who left for Indianapolis earlier this off-season. While Dawan might not have the same ball-hawking skills as his brother, he is very physical and more reliable in terms of health. This past season in Jacksonville Dawan totaled 100 tackles, the second-most in his seven year career. Dawan has played for both Rex Ryan and Dennis Thurman in Baltimore. No terms have been made available yet.

Here is the official press release from the NY Jets:

The New York Jets have signed free agent
S Dawan Landry

Landry (S/6-1/212/Georgia Tech/Boutte, LA)

entered the NFL as a fifth-round selection by Baltimore in the 2006 NFL draft. He spent five seasons with the Ravens, playing his first three campaigns under Jets Head Coach Rex Ryan, who was Baltimore’s defensive coordinator. Landry signed with Jacksonville as an unrestricted free agent (07/30/11), where he played for two years before he was released (03/08/13). In seven NFL seasons, he has started 96-of-98 games and has recorded 678 tackles, 12 interceptions, 5.5 sacks and three forced fumbles. In 2012, Landry started all 16 contests and registered a career-high 176 tackles.

Here is a thread on with more information from the JN forums.

As well as Bell played last season, age/injuries alone make Landry an upgrade at the low cost/veteran safety spot.

Completely agree.  I came away very impressed with Bell's performance last season, and I think it's safe to say he went well beyond everyone's expectations, especially considering his age and the minimal cost to the Jets.  Easily one of the best bang for their buck the Jets had last season.  That said, it's not something you can reasonably count on continuing for long, at least not as a starter, and now the Jets found themselves a more reliable solution who still provides that veteran presence to the safety position.  It also gives them a little more freedom to give some of the younger guys they currently have (plus any they bring in over the coming months) a shot at that other starting spot.

Hopefully he wears 30 so I didn't waste 150 on larons jersey last year..

That's nothing. I know a guy who bought a Justin McCarreins jersey ( I don't know why) a Pennington jersey (1 year before he left), and a Favre jersey. He almost bought a Braylon Edwards jersey 2 years ago but I talked him out of it.

Just curious:  Anybody questioning why Jacksonville released him?

I hope it was because they didn't want to pay him and not that he s*cked...

I'd feel a lot better if it was the 49ers letting him go than the basement Jax.

This guy is actually a pretty good player.  I'm really curious how much they paid him

Jets Sign Free Agent S Dawan Landry

Posted 2 hours ago

By Jets Media Relations Department

The New York Jets have signed free agent safety Dawan Landry.

Landry (6'1", 212/Georgia Tech/Boutte, LA) entered the NFL as a fifth-round selection by Baltimore in the 2006 NFL draft. He spent five seasons with the Ravens, playing his first three campaigns under Jets head coach Rex Ryan, who was Baltimore’s defensive coordinator.

Landry signed with Jacksonville as an unrestricted free agent July 30, 2011, and played for the Jaguars for the past two seasons before he was released on March 8.

In seven NFL seasons, he has started 96 of 98 games and has recorded 678 tackles, 12 interceptions, 5.5 sacks and three forced fumbles. In 2012 he started all 16 contests for the Jaguars and registered a career-high 176 tackles.

No.  But it seems to be the year of the release.  A lot of good talent free agents let go by teams this year.  A lot of the older ones still available. 

He signed a huge contract with Jags couple years ago. 5 years $27 mil. Not sure of his contract situation but Im pretty sure he probably had a bonus coming up that the Jags did not intend on paying, or his base for 2013 was too high for their liking.

My guess is, the Jets signed him to a 1 yr, roughly $2 mil deal.

I might be with you on that one if it were not for the fact that he was starting for the Ravens during Rex's entire stretch as their DC.  You'd have to imagine Rex knows him as well as anyone in the league, and at the very least was asked for his input.

The Jacksonville Jaguars are going to release S Dawan Landry according to multiple reports. Landry was set to earn $5.4 million in cash
compensation this season. He will carry a dead money charge of $3.9 million. The Jaguars will save $2.8 million in cap room with his release. We will remove him from the Jaguars cap sheets later today

Also he didn't really live up to his contract.

Jets | Dawan Landry signed 

Tue, 09 Apr 2013 10:25:10 -0700

The New York Jets have signed free-agent FS Dawan Landry (Jaguars). Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Comment | Source: Twitter | Share: facebook.png

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2PzMoVgtR   :biggrin: 

Why do I feel like Woody made a gread decision by hiring Idzik? He's been really impressive, which is a shame because all he's doing is his job. Nothing overly special. Tanny really sucked. 

Archived