Jets | Dawan Landry signed

FoxJet

Why do I feel like Woody made a gread decision by hiring Idzik? He's been really impressive, which is a shame because all he's doing is his job. Nothing overly special. Tanny really sucked. 

No one knows for sure, since he got fired.  But my guess is Tannenbaum would have extended Harris for another 3 years, converted more of Sanchez's guaranteed salary to signing bonus with more "we believe in Mark" nonsense, and would have done the same with Holmes instead of getting a simple pay cut as Idzik did.  This would have cleared up another $10M or so that he would have blown on re-signing more of our free agents or other teams' UFAs (and throwing away 3-4 compensatory picks in the process).  Not to mention, who knows what mess he might have made with Revis, since they do have some less than cordial history together.  When a guy is making moves to save his immediate job, he'll do a lot of things that make little sense long-term without thinking it through or examining all angles (Sanchez, Tebow, Harris, etc.).

Conversely, it seems if Idzik is going to bring back one or more of our UFAs my guess is it'll only be in the summer or after it's obvious that the other 31 teams have all passed on them (in which case we wouldn't have gotten compensatory picks for them anyway).

im all for improving the team but let's get real, Tanny's signing of Laron last year on a show me deal was a great move. Laron made the pro bowl. Dewan is JAG. 

Perhaps, but it still doesn't offset the countless mind-numbingly stupid deals Tanny has made too.  Let's remember, that deal was part of the same offseason that included the Tebow trade and Sanchez extension, probably the two dumbest moves in all of the NFL last year, and both possible contributors to the Jets' inability to retain the younger Landry brother.

Then again, I think it's pretty well established at this point that you may put a little more value on one season of a Pro Bowler who then walks than many others here would.

all im saying is that if we are evaluating john idzik the safety position got cheaper and worse. Yay. 

So what exactly is your point, that Idzik should instead follow the Tanny model of making a position more expensive and worse (e.g., 2012 QBs)?  And let's not even get into the mess that Tanny left for Idzik that is massively impacting how he is handling this offseason.

I know you have a long history of pulling sentences from other's posts completely out of context, but is this now your method for evaluating the team's roster moves too?

So what exactly is your point, that Idzik should instead follow the Tanny model of making a position more expensive and worse (e.g., 2012 QBs)?  And let's not even get into the mess that Tanny left for Idzik that is massively impacting how he is handling this offseason.

I know you have a long history of pulling sentences from other's posts completely out of context, but is this now your method for evaluating the team's roster moves too?

I was talking to one specific post that somehow Idzik is better than tanny cause he signed Dewan. I think that's  flat out wrong. The safety position got worse, fact. How is Idzik doing a better job exactly? Cause of cheapness? 

I was talking to one specific post that somehow Idzik is better than tanny cause he signed Dewan. I think that's  flat out wrong. The safety position got worse, fact. How is Idzik doing a better job exactly? Cause of cheapness? 

That just seems like faulty logic.  Laron was no longer a part of this team as he was only signed to a one year deal by Tanny, thus losing him is not the same as Idzik just cut or replaced him.  If you're going to compare our safety position that has been attributable to Idzik, you compare it to having Bush and Allen and now because of Idzik, we have Dawan and Bush/Allen.  He improved our safety position, not the other way around.  Unless you really wanted him to overpay for Laron for four years.

He improved our safety position, not the other way around.  Unless you really wanted him to overpay for Laron for four years.

I wanted the best Jets safety since Victor Green to continue being a Jet. we could call it overpaying or we could just call it paying. talent costs money and so far Idzik has proven excellent at filling roster spots cheaply. Whether it's a good thing or not I guess we can wait and see. My point here was to rebutt the idea that replacing Laron with Dewan was some sort of genius move. 

I wanted the best Jets safety since Victor Green to continue being a Jet. we could call it overpaying or we could just call it paying. talent costs money and so far Idzik has proven excellent at filling roster spots cheaply. Whether it's a good thing or not I guess we can wait and see. My point here was to rebutt the idea that replacing Laron with Dewan was some sort of genius move. 

Understandable and I agree to a point. I just found it a bit funny seeing how you spent a number of weeks leading up and into free agency saying how Laron wasn't worth the contract he got and that maybe the influx of safeties would lower his tag.  I know it's mostly devil's advocate on your part, but I agree with your overall point that what Idzik is doing isn't anything to be confused with genius.  I like his moves thus far, but I'll wait to see how they pan out before making and decisions.

It's way too early to draw any conclusions about Idzik. The man is shackled this year. Whether it's to Rex, or Sanchez, or the Revis issue, or the cap in general, the man is bound. There's not a lot he can do other than inexpensive, short term moves.

We'll start to get a feel for him during the draft. That's when he'll be making his first long term moves. But really, the picture won't start coming into focus until the season is over. By then, the Revis issue should be long resolved. And that's when he'll be free of Sanchez, free to do what he wants with Rex, and will have freedom to make a lot of moves within the cap.

• 4 months later...

anyone care to watch Dewan Landry's NFL caliber speed and quickness on display? 

warning do not watch this if you are eating 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000233683/Pre-WK3-Can-t-Miss-Play-David-Wilson-breaks-for-84-yard-TD

It's good that they saved so much cap room by not signing Laron Landry. So they could sign Peterman, Garrard, Goodson, Braylon etc. 

This is like when ya ask your mom for a real jersey and get 10 fakes instead. It's a false economy.  

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000233683/Pre-WK3-Can-t-Miss-Play-David-Wilson-breaks-for-84-yard-TD

It's good that they saved so much cap room by not signing Laron Landry. So they could sign Peterman, Garrard, Goodson, Braylon etc. 

This is like when ya ask your mom for a real jersey and get 10 fakes instead. It's a false economy.  

You're ridiculous.  We didn't fail to sign Landry so that we could get those players you listed.  We failed to sign Laron because we couldn't afford him, period.  

When Laron is being taken off in a cart this year you'll understand.

Either way, your "I told you so" BS is getting reeeeeal old.  If its so clear you're smarter than John Idzik maybe spend a little less time around here and more time crafting your resume.

Laron Landry blows.

Either way, your "I told you so" BS is getting reeeeeal old.  If its so clear you're smarter than John Idzik maybe spend a little less time around here and more time crafting your resume.

this entire board could have done a better job signing free agents. Even you 80.

but don't worry we can revisit this argument after Kellen Winslow and Willie Colon play 16 games. (Combined?)

Didn't you hear? We need to cut everyone before we can compete. Everyone in the NFL is doing it this way now. Just look at the Ravens, 49ers, Pats, and Pitt. Maybe if the Jets go 1-15 they can draft Lebron James. It only takes one player to turn an NFL franchise around, havent you heard?

You're ridiculous.  We didn't fail to sign Landry so that we could get those players you listed.  We failed to sign Laron because we couldn't afford him, period.  

When Laron is being taken off in a cart this year you'll understand.

Or working on his website lol

Lulza good try.  You're doing god work but this is a stretch.  The angle was terrible but he was coming from across the field chasing a faster player.  He was a step behind just like everyone else but  he never broke stride.  lulza 

this entire board could have done a better job signing free agents. Even you 80.

but don't worry we can revisit this argument after Kellen Winslow and Willie Colon play 16 games. (Combined?)

Dude, again with this?  Your resentment boner for Idzik is weird.  I'm not at all sold on him, but that is only because he hasn't made a move that wasn't screamingly obvious.  I don't understand what the problem with signing bargain basement free agent veterans is, especially when the cap situation dictates that doing so is the only option.

Archived