Jets Talk: JetNation Radio NFL Analyst Chris Steuber Discusses Revis, Foles, Sanchez, And The Draft

JetNation

That was tough to listen to. I definitely got the impression that Chris watched about eleven seconds of Jets football last year.

I don't know Chris but he said people accuse him of being a USC loyalist.  Definitely seems to be the case.

I don't know Chris but he said people accuse him of being a USC loyalist.  Definitely seems to be the case.

he's not a USC loyalist he just thinks Mark Sanchez can still be a good QB. And that Matt Barkley is the best QB in the draft by far. What? 

Keller was injured the entire year and so was Hill's hands...or they might as well have been. Holmes was actually on pace for a 1000+ yard season before he got hurt if im correct. So the only legit target was Holmes last year and a double team (or season ending injury) could neutralize that rather easily.

People may say that Sanchez wasnt screwed simply because of a dollar amount, but I havent seen anything smart come out of florham park in years whether it was drafted talent on the offensive side of the ball, hired coaches/coordinators or fiscal responsibility.C'mon they drafted a WR in the 2nd round with less than 50 catches his entire collegiate career, added Tony Sparano as the OC and traded to draft picks (which historically aren't utilized well anyway) to get Tim Tebow to sell Jerseys...yeah I said it! Mark Sanchez is simply easy to blame. This football team/organization has been ran terribly.

Funny how in the interview dude talked about Kaepernick and Smith but I remember the first 7 years in Smiths career he was basically the 9ers version of Sanchez. Here walks in a coach with some good ideas and turns Smith into a NFC champion caliber QB and a 2nd year QB into a SB caliber QB, which imo the 49ers was going to the SB no matter the QB. 

Smith 3 years ago wasnt wanted by any team, even his own. Now a well respected Andy Reid is looking to retool his new baby with Smith. The same Andy Reid that someone in another thread complimented in regards to his outlook & history with "quality" quarterbacks. 

Mark Sanchez is screwed because he's with a terrible football program that gave him 50 million. To bring up the money is retarded. Sanchez got his latest deal simply because Tanny didnt know how to look Sanchez in the eye after attempting to get Manning, so they paid him. That in itself tells alot about the direction this team was going. Fortunately I think that Marty and Idzik is a great step in the right direction so I feel that Sanchez has a honest chance this year, however they need to draft playmakers on that side of the ball. Mornhinweg has absolutely no playmakers to work with, 50 million to Sanchez doesnt change that fact. If we go defense in the first round im going to kick the TV im watching the draft on. We need to get a playmaker at WR (Tavon Austin) and stop bullsh_tting with the TE position and get a guy who can block and catch a football. If the Jets do that this will be more than just a rebuilding year. 

Keller was injured the entire year and so was Hill's hands...or they might as well have been. Holmes was actually on pace for a 1000+ yard season before he got hurt if im correct. So the only legit target was Holmes last year and a double team (or season ending injury) could neutralize that rather easily.

People may say that Sanchez wasnt screwed simply because of a dollar amount, but I havent seen anything smart come out of florham park in years whether it was drafted talent on the offensive side of the ball, hired coaches/coordinators or fiscal responsibility.C'mon they drafted a WR in the 2nd round with less than 50 catches his entire collegiate career, added Tony Sparano as the OC and traded to draft picks (which historically aren't utilized well anyway) to get Tim Tebow to sell Jerseys...yeah I said it! Mark Sanchez is simply easy to blame. This football team/organization has been ran terribly.

Funny how in the interview dude talked about Kaepernick and Smith but I remember the first 7 years in Smiths career he was basically the 9ers version of Sanchez. Here walks in a coach with some good ideas and turns Smith into a NFC champion caliber QB and a 2nd year QB into a SB caliber QB, which imo the 49ers was going to the SB no matter the QB. 

Smith 3 years ago wasnt wanted by any team, even his own. Now a well respected Andy Reid is looking to retool his new baby with Smith. The same Andy Reid that someone in another thread complimented in regards to his outlook & history with "quality" quarterbacks. 

Mark Sanchez is screwed because he's with a terrible football program that gave him 50 million. To bring up the money is retarded. Sanchez got his latest deal simply because Tanny didnt know how to look Sanchez in the eye after attempting to get Manning, so they paid him. That in itself tells alot about the direction this team was going. Fortunately I think that Marty and Idzik is a great step in the right direction so I feel that Sanchez has a honest chance this year, however they need to draft playmakers on that side of the ball. Mornhinweg has absolutely no playmakers to work with, 50 million to Sanchez doesnt change that fact. If we go defense in the first round im going to kick the TV im watching the draft on. We need to get a playmaker at WR (Tavon Austin) and stop bullsh_tting with the TE position and get a guy who can block and catch a football. If the Jets do that this will be more than just a rebuilding year. 

Good post. But I think you might lose a tv. I think WR will be addressed but not in the 1st round. A lot can change particularly if the Jets successfully Trade Revis for pics. Obviously more pics give the Jets more flexibility which can change the flavor of the early drafts choices. My gut feeling is that the Jets will draft interior defensive lineman and offensive lineman. I like this guy Star and an OL early. Having said that, I do not think that Holmes is going to be coming back or at least you will be less effective. I think the Jets will address the wide receiver position but probably in the third of fourth round. Out of curiosity, can anyone make a statement about the wide receivers that are on the roster now. Are they all really that bad?

Good post. But I think you might lose a tv. I think WR will be addressed but not in the 1st round. A lot can change particularly if the Jets successfully Trade Revis for pics. Obviously more pics give the Jets more flexibility which can change the flavor of the early drafts choices. My gut feeling is that the Jets will draft interior defensive lineman and offensive lineman. I like this guy Star and an OL early. Having said that, I do not think that Holmes is going to be coming back or at least you will be less effective. I think the Jets will address the wide receiver position but probably in the third of fourth round. Out of curiosity, can anyone make a statement about the wide receivers that are on the roster now. Are they all really that bad?

Well, my pops will lose a TV. Im going to my parents to watch the draft lol. I wouldnt be surprised if they went defense in the first round, but it better be if we got both the 9th and 13th pick in the draft. I could see getting the trade done and Dion Jordan is sitting right there at 9. I can understand this, what I cant understand is not then drafting an offensive playmaker at 13 or just drafting a defensive player at 9 if we're not able to get a deal done for Revis. 

Im getting tired of not investing in the offense and wondering why the offense isnt clicking. Putting time in the offense can be a defensive move as well as you're giving yourself the opportunity to put more points on the board which makes the opposing team more one dimensional/predictable which can play to what our strengths which was our secondary. 

Holmes isnt enough. People have talked about the Jets providing Tomlinson and Edwards so the offense wasnt completely left out of the loop, which in that regard is true but when they then made it to the AFCCG then you hear that Sanchez and the offensive had nothing to do with it, it was the defense. Well, I correlate the depletion of our offense with the lack of our success, and if thats true then that means once again that its easier to simply blame Sanchez than to see the actual problem or to notice that when the Jets had a somewhat respectable offense we did wonderful things. 

Get Sanchez playmakers on this team and our defense can take all the credit people want to give it as long as we're making it to championship games and hopefully the SB. 

playmakers made sanchez run into his own linemens butt!? Playmakers made sanchez underthrow a wide open WR resulting in an interception???

#1. WHAT playmakers?

#2. The butt comment shows that I need not to take this seriously, especially since this is the best you could do.

see this is where you guys lose me.

The best i could probably come up with was hill running wide open and sanchez missing him (sanchez does that a lot)

The problem with the playmakers argument is that we have players that are wide open and sanchez just doesnt hit them. What do you want a "playmaker" running farther wide open? Sanchez isnt good cut your losses and move on

edit: Dismissing the butt joke shows you give sanchez a pass. That play is something out of a pee wee game. It was all on sanchez

see this is where you guys lose me.

The best i could probably come up with was hill running wide open and sanchez missing him (sanchez does that a lot)

The problem with the playmakers argument is that we have players that are wide open and sanchez just doesnt hit them. What do you want a "playmaker" running farther wide open? Sanchez isnt good cut your losses and move on

edit: Dismissing the butt joke shows you give sanchez a pass. That play is something out of a pee wee game. It was all on sanchez

No, Sanchez doesnt do that alot because quite frankly the WR's we have rarely if ever got separation from the defender to even be considered "wide open". Whats happening here is that there was a play that you seen from Sanchez that was obviously a bad play but you're exacerbating it.

And I can totally prove that point. I have NFL Rewind and I can prove that there WAY MORE PLAYS where Hill dropped a pass that hit him square on his hands than Sanchez over/under throwing him while being "wide open". Hill was dropping passes going back into last preseason.

Like I said, its totally easy to blame Sanchez.

EDIT: Speaking of "wide open", check out this link and just read a few sentences. Things like this tends to be forgotten when its not pointed at Sanchez. And trust me, im not taking up for Sanchez, he played terribly last year, but there's enough blame to go around and maybe it should for one.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/10/jets_rookie_receiver_stephen_h_1.html

No, Sanchez doesnt do that alot because quite frankly the WR's we have rarely if ever got separation from the defender to even be considered "wide open". Whats happening here is that there was a play that you seen from Sanchez that was obviously a bad play but you're exacerbating it.

And I can totally prove that point. I have NFL Rewind and I can prove that there WAY MORE PLAYS where Hill dropped a pass that hit him square on his hands than Sanchez over/under throwing him while being "wide open". Hill was dropping passes going back into last preseason.

Like I said, its totally easy to blame Sanchez.

EDIT: Speaking of "wide open", check out this link and just read a few sentences. Things like this tends to be forgotten when its not pointed at Sanchez. And trust me, im not taking up for Sanchez, he played terribly last year, but there's enough blame to go around and maybe it should for one.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/10/jets_rookie_receiver_stephen_h_1.html

thats fair to say hill dropped passes some in big spots but im giving a pass to a rookie WR on drops but not a multiple year starter in QB who cant hit a wide open reciever.

But I think you need to look at the entire offense. For how bad the players were a lot of times someone was wide open sanchez just didnt see him (cause he loves to lock on) or just didnt throw the ball accuratly.

Also that insane stat of sanchez 1/3 hits on sanchez resulted in a fumble is just completely dumbfounding. Thats so bad its not even funny (except the butt fumble i can laugh at that one cause come on who didnt laugh at that)

it's true that Sanchez' WR corp stunk and it's also true they let him down at times. But it's the old story he's getting paid 10 million dollars to make those around him better. If he needs awesome WR and awesome RB and awesome OL they don't need a 10 million dollar QB for that. 

thats fair to say hill dropped passes some in big spots but im giving a pass to a rookie WR on drops but not a multiple year starter in QB who cant hit a wide open reciever.

But I think you need to look at the entire offense. For how bad the players were a lot of times someone was wide open sanchez just didnt see him (cause he loves to lock on) or just didnt throw the ball accuratly.

Also that insane stat of sanchez 1/3 hits on sanchez resulted in a fumble is just completely dumbfounding. Thats so bad its not even funny (except the butt fumble i can laugh at that one cause come on who didnt laugh at that)

Im glad that you think its fair to say that Hill dropped passes in big spots, and im also glad that you feel like I need to look at the entire offense which I believe im doing when I respond to people who isolate solely on the faults of Mark Sanchez. You said it yourself "for how bad the PLAYERS were", which means that it wasnt only Mark Sanchez. Yes Sanchez over threw a few passes. I can give you an example here. I remember Holmes ran a post route in the Pittsburgh game that was a clear TD and Sanchez overthrew him by about 5 inches, that if im correct would have given the Jets the lead in that game. I remember this clearly. What I dont like is when its simply "Sanchez fault" when I've seen guys misrun routes, not come back to the ball, not get separation, the guards looking like revolving doors for defenders etc.

For all of the alleged faults of Sanchez, I can present a concise defense for why some of these things occured and how there was much more to the play than simply the throw or non-throw from the QB (primarily coaching and scheme).

The offense was terrible, it doesnt have any playmakers, receivers (be it a rookie or not) couldnt get separation and some couldnt catch a cold, the TE position was virtually nonexistent, the oline from left to right all underachieved etc.

To simply mention Sanchez is a cop out, and I mean that in no disrespect to one's comment. I mean it more as in "Sanchez being the sole problem". He's far from being that....quite far.

:love0038:

Catering to my easily-won-over ego is how my Mrs. Sperm got me.  In hindsight it was no great accomplishment of hers; she could have done better.

It was Ms. Edwards foresight at work there. It wasnt about her great accomplishment, she already knew she was the bomb! She, like what my wife did for me, simply wanted to give you an upgrade knowing you'd appreciate it. I believe our wives play chess way better than their checker playing counterparts.

Now I gotta go, got to do the dishes! lol. 

Archived