Florio: Tavon Austin's Dance Card is Full

flgreen

Tavon Austin’s pre-draft dance card is full

Posted by Mike Florio on April 10, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT

How much interest has West Virginia receiver Tavon Austin generated among NFL teams?  So much that he has had to decline some invitations for pre-draft visits.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Austin has visited or will visit the Rams, Bengals, Buccaneers, 49ers, and Jets.

The Jets are an intriguing option, given that they hold the ninth overall pick in the draft — and could end up with the 13th overall selection.

Austin’s floor could be No. 16 to the Rams, a team that desperately needs playmakers.

Thought this was a very interesting article from a Jets trade down stand point.

Looking at who else is bringing in Austin, and wondering why. 

Jets will have the Buc’s #13 most likely, so they are out of the picture.  Rams at 16 are players for sure.  The Bengals and 9’ers at 21 and 31 are more then likely out of the picture.  IMO he will be gone by 21 for sure.  Probably much earlier

One thing the Bengals, and 9’ers have in common is extra 2nd round picks.  The fact that they are using one of their pre draft visits on Austin indicates they are considering a trade up

The Bengals have #21 and #37   Jets could find some excellent players in those spots

The 49’ers have 31, 34, and lets throw in #93  another nice haul

Will Idzik be on the phone at 9, with 13 already in the bag?

I think that if he has both picks, he'll be more inclined to move one of them. I think it's something he'd want to do when the Jets are on the clock at #9, in case someone drops to him that he didn't expect - and that he doesn't expect to last to #13.

Thought this was a very interesting article from a Jets trade down stand point.

Looking at who else is bringing in Austin, and wondering why. 

Jets will have the Buc’s #13 most likely, so they are out of the picture.  Rams at 16 are players for sure.  The Bengals and 9’ers at 21 and 31 are more then likely out of the picture.  IMO he will be gone by 21 for sure.  Probably much earlier

One thing the Bengals, and 9’ers have in common is extra 2nd round picks.  The fact that they are using one of their pre draft visits on Austin indicates they are considering a trade up

The Bengals have #21 and #37   Jets could find some excellent players in those spots

The 49’ers have 31, 34, and lets throw in #93  another nice haul

Will Idzik be on the phone at 9, with 13 already in the bag?

Can not ask for anything else. Would love to lose the #9 and pick up a late first rounder this year and another first next year.

I really do like Austin, but I can't stop picturing Dexter McCluster and not Percy Harvin. I know the former wasn't a natural receiver, but Austin just seems to slightly built. I still would like the pick at 13 or so, but I can't shake the notion he'd constantly be nicked up.

i think it was Mayock who said it but a team that drafts Austin has to have a plan to use him. It's gotta be limited reps to keep his explosiveness and creative plays like motioning him into the backfield, reverses and the like. He's not gonna be a true #1 in this league and I think that limits his appeal in the top 10. 

I think that if he has both picks, he'll be more inclined to move one of them. I think it's something he'd want to do when the Jets are on the clock at #9, in case someone drops to him that he didn't expect - and that he doesn't expect to last to #13.

If we got the #13 for Revis, plus a 3rd and a 2014 pick, and then traded either the #9 or #13 to move down and add even more picks, the whole sequence involving "trade Revis" could end up netting us 3-5 draft picks, all in the first 3 rounds this year and next. In theory.

This shows how weak this years skilled players are. Two guards and a slot wr are being talked about as top prospects

I don't know about you but I think it would be fantastic watching Mayo and Spikes chase Austin around like Rocky chasing the chicken.

I really do like Austin, but I can't stop picturing Dexter McCluster and not Percy Harvin. I know the former wasn't a natural receiver, but Austin just seems to slightly built. I still would like the pick at 13 or so, but I can't shake the notion he'd constantly be nicked up.

The dude had over 100 receptions each of the last two years and (IIRC) didn't miss a snap. He's not a Santana Moss-type puntang, so I think the size issue is overstated. Harvin, Santonio Holmes, and DeSean Jackson are puny dudes and they've yet to die.

The dude had over 100 receptions each of the last two years and (IIRC) didn't miss a snap. He's not a Santana Moss-type puntang, so I think the size issue is overstated. Harvin, Santonio Holmes, and DeSean Jackson are puny dudes and they've yet to die.

Was he available in the mock draft when your turn came up?

he does run out of bounds like Santana. 

If we trade Revis and Dee Millner is available at #9 i do not want Idzik to trade down unless he gets a lot better than fair market value deal in terms of picks.

On the other hand even if we only have one pick in the first round (no Revis trade) and Austin or Dee Millner are available I would not mind a fair market value deal down and get some picks in the process.

If we trade Revis and Dee Millner is available at #9  

If CB isn't an important enough position to keep revis it's not an important enough position to go there at 9. 

fwiw Idzik worked for the team that hit on Richard Sherman, if he can get that type of player in the 5th round that's at least an understandable resource switch. Revis for Milliner is just dumb. Especially if Milliner actually works out and demands big money. 

Agreed with bit. I would've preferred they moved Cro than Revis. I understand at this point he's going to be moved, but I'll be livid if they trade him for the 13th pick only to take a cornerback with the 9th pick who they'll hope ends up almost as good as Revis. Obviously the cap is a factor, but not enough of a factor to justify essentially downgrading at a position in exchange for a lower draft pick.

McCluster carried the ball 300 times and caught close to 100 passes in his last two years in the SEC and he's had trouble finding a niche in the NFL. I still would like the pick in the teens, but not sure I'd wanna use it in the top ten. It wasn't a disparaging post, just that I can't shake the feeling if the Jets draft him he is on perma-IR, but if the Pats got him he'd be Welker on an 8 ball.

If CB isn't an important enough position to keep revis it's not an important enough position to go there at 9. 

fwiw Idzik worked for the team that hit on Richard Sherman, if he can get that type of player in the 5th round that's at least an understandable resource switch. Revis for Milliner is just dumb. Especially if Milliner actually works out and demands big money. 

If Milliner is close to Revis in talent, signing him for four years/$13M in total would seem to be a pretty good deal - even if you want to believe that Revis would sign for four years/$48M.

It wouldn't be my preference, but I could see how it makes sense.

If Milliner is close to Revis in talent, signing him for four years/$13M in total would seem to be a pretty good deal - even if you want to believe that Revis would sign for four years/$48M.

It wouldn't be my preference, but I could see how it makes sense.

Exactly.  Tons of money saved over the life of the rookie contract (to be spent elsewhere on the team) and not to mention the additional picks the Jets would still be sitting on from the trade.  I'm not even advocating that pick, but not drafting a player solely on the basis that you could have gotten a proven (but injured) one for excessively more money is ridiculous.  By that logic, every team in the league should just wipe off their draft boards any prospect who isn't a near lock to be better than every player available at his position in FA this year.

if you draft Milliner to replace Revis it's an impossible situation for that young man. No way he's as good as Revis. Zero chance. 

not to mention drafting a rd 1 corner is the anti-thesis of what Idzik is supposedly about. Even when he was with the bucs they didn't value that position. 

Taking Austin at #9 or the hypothetical #13 will put this franchise back into Kotite territory.

I'm sorry but it is lunacy to start your rebuild with a first round 170lb flea slot receiver when so many other positions have need.

Kotite's drafts weren't terrible. Lol.

But every offensive skill position is a massive position of need for the Jets. If Tavon can run fast with the ball in his hands and score TDs, he's incredibly valuable.

McCluster carried the ball 300 times and caught close to 100 passes in his last two years in the SEC and he's had trouble finding a niche in the NFL. I still would like the pick in the teens, but not sure I'd wanna use it in the top ten. It wasn't a disparaging post, just that I can't shake the feeling if the Jets draft him he is on perma-IR, but if the Pats got him he'd be Welker on an 8 ball.

Didn't McCluster also run in the mid 4.5's? Not nearly the same athlete Austin is. Definitely risks, but I don't really see the comparison aside from the fact that they're both short and tweeners TBH.

Kotite's drafts weren't terrible. Lol.

But every offensive skill position is a massive position of need for the Jets. If Tavon can run fast with the ball in his hands and score TDs, he's incredibly valuable.

I'm not saying he wont be dynamic in the NFL but this would be a Matt Millen move no?

Building the roof before the foundation never works.

Jets need big tough linemen, linebackers and a QB 1st.

yeah if we trade revis and then draft a cb in the first i'm gonna be like wtf

Taking Austin at #9 or the hypothetical #13 will put this franchise back into Kotite territory.

I'm sorry but it is lunacy to start your rebuild with a first round 170lb flea slot receiver when so many other positions have need.

This is stupid, the Jets haven't a gamebreaker like Tavon Austin in YEARS.

Archived