Jets could unload a quarterback (sanchez) as part of Revis trade

JOJOTOWNSELL

I think this is more of a win for the Bucs than the Jets (besides from PR perspective). Both the Jets and the Bucs have the cap room to let Sanchez rot on their roster this season and cut him next year. There's nothing else they can do with that space this offseason, though they can roll it forward to next year. But the Bucs would be giving up less to get Revis.

For the Jets, why take less just to get rid of a guy you're going to likely bench this year and cut next year when the cap room isn't going to do you any good at this point?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Central and N Florida Mexicans

S Florida Cubans and Columbians

W Florida (Tampa) Old Jews

I live in So Florida. Not Miami area, 7-8 years ago there really wasn't  many Mexicans that I noticed.  it was pretty much the way you showed it.

Over the last 5 years the Mexican population has exploded.  Maybe it's unusal to my area

I live in So Florida. Not Miami area, 7-8 years ago there really wasn't  many Mexicans that I noticed.  it was pretty much the way you showed it.

Over the last 5 years the Mexican population has exploded.  Maybe it's unusal to my area

Palm beach area near lakeworth there's a lot in the area but not as much in dade and broward area compared to Cubans and Colombians from what I can tell.

I'm with this guy: I'd much rather dump Holmes

Trade Implications: Mark Sanchez

http://overthecap.com/trade-implications-mark-sanchez/

I had a lot of questions pertaining the Jets possible trade of QB Mark Sanchez as reported by Pro Football Talk. While I still think that Santonio Holmes makes the most sense for both sides as a throw in for CB Darrelle Revis lets examine some of the reasons why the Jets would make the trade:

1. Cap and Cash Space

If the Jets were to trade Mark Sanchez without any contract modification they would transfer to the Buccaneers $8.25 million in fully guaranteed base salary and $500,000 in workout bonus money, saving the Jets from paying another $8.75 million to the struggling QB.

Sanchez currently carries a cap charge for the Jets of $12,853,125, 2nd highest on the team. Between signing bonuses, salary advances and guaranteed salary it would have cost the Jets $17,153,125 in dead money to release Sanchez. If traded, however, the salary guarantees will move to Tampa leaving the Jets with just $8,903,125 in dead money, creating $3,950,000 in cap room for the Jets.

2. Offsetting some of the cap space lost to Revis

Trading Revis will cost the Jets $3 million in cap room plus the cost of the additional draft pick that replaces him. I have estimated the cost of the 13th pick in the NFL draft to be $1,828,000 in cap in 2013, making the trade of Revis cost the Jets $4.828 million in cap room. Sanchez’ net cap savings of $3.47 million (assuming he is replaced by a player earning $480,000) makes the cap effect of the Revis trade much more reasonable to the Jets.

3. Preparing for 2014

I heard a lot of comments, specifically on ESPN this afternoon, about how this does nothing to help the Jets now. Free agency is over and the Jets would give the QB away for nothing. What has to be realized is that the Jets are in a full scale rebuilding mode. While not to the level of the Raiders rebuild, the Jets essentially have no roster in 2014. As of the 11th of April the Jets had only 33 players under contract in 2014. Of those 33 players 3 have almost no chance of being on the team in 14 (Sanchez, Holmes, and Tim Tebow) and 11 are non-bonus longer shot types to remain. Functionally we are looking at probably 25 players plus 6 or 7 from this years draft, putting the Jets in a clear position to rebuild the club via free agency and the draft.

The offsetting cap space created by include Sanchez in the Revis trade would allow the Jets to carryover more salary cap money to 2014 that can be used to be more active in free agency. Moreso it eliminates $4.8 million in dead money that would be on the books in 2014 if the Jets carried him until then. So in essence the Jets cap space is going to be inflated by $8.75 million next year if they can include Sanchez in a trade.

4. Eliminating the Ugly Scene During the Season

As a long suffering Jets fan I can tell you that the treatment Sanchez received last season was probably worse than any QB in recent memory which is saying something when you consider the struggles the Jets have had. Whether it was or wasn’t all Sanchez’ fault the last two years the fact is the fanbase thinks it is. IMO, the Jets benched Sanchez last year as much to avoid the home field response as it was to try out Greg McElroy. If the team has lost faith in Sanchez there is almost no need to deal with the negative PR associated with him trotting out on the field, especially in the event he is backing up David Garrard. Garrard hasn’t taken a snap since 2010 and is an injury waiting to happen. I remember when the crowd booed Chad Pennington coming in for relief when Jay Fiedler got injured in 2005. That will seem like nothing compared to what would happen if Sanchez is the backup and forced into action.

Here is the article

Per Ian Rapoport of NFL.com the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have renegotiated the contract of CB Eric Wright
reducing his base salary from $7.75 million to $1.5 million, a $6.25
million dollar paycut. While Wright can earn up to another $1.5 million
in unknown incentives it is likely that these incentives will not count
towards the salary cap in the 2013 season. This move leaves the
Buccaneers with about $33 million in cap space which opens up a number
of questions about what they plan on doing with the cap room.

First I just wanted to discuss the situation with Wright. Everyone is
well aware that Wright signed a lucrative contract last year, but
voided his guarantees when he was suspended in 2012. This left Wright in
a bad position when it came to roster security. The Buccaneers are one
of the few NFL teams that employ almost a pure cash to cap philosophy.
Outside of rookies very few players on the roster have any cap
protection that comes from the potential of dead money acceleration.
Tampa Bay simply guarantees P5 salary, typically for two years, and once
the guarantees vanish so can the player without penalty. Wright’s
roster spot was clearly in jeopardy.

The decision to keep Wright benefits both sides. From Tampa’s
perspective you have to consider where would they get another cornerback
with the same upside at this stage of free agency?  The answer is they
couldn’t. $1.5 million is a bargain even in this market, The NFC South
is a pass happy division in a much stronger conference making
cornerbacks a premium position within the division. You need two of them
in the division more than any other division in the NFL. From Wright’s
point of view the cornerback market grew incredibly soft and he is
coming off a very low point in his career. Free agency is basically at
an end and the teams with the most cap room such as the Browns, Jaguars,
Eagles and Bengals would likely not be looking for a player like
Wright. Other teams might show interest but they may not even match the
$3 million potential Wright gets in Tampa Bay. In return for accepting a
low salary the remainder of his contract, per reports, will void,
giving him a shot at free agency next season when, in theory, the market
might be better.  The other added benefit for Wright deals with the
potential trade with the Jets for CB Darrelle Revis. If Wright plays
alongside Revis he could benefit greatly from the situation.

The added cap space for the Buccaneers is only going to add fuel to
the fire on the Revis speculation and I am going to feed into that here
as well. The logical reason that the Buccaneers are interested in
creating more cap room would be to frontload a contract for the injured
Revis and protect their salary cap in the event Revis is not the same
player post surgery. Remember how I said that the Buccaneers like to
guarantee 2 years of a contract, well when you are looking to sign a
deal with a Revis that is going to be a large amount of money. With $33
million in cap space and likely no first round draft pick to sign the
Buccaneers could give Revis as much as $26 million in 2013 in both cap
and cash considerations.

Per the rules of the CBA Revis would need to earn at least $13
million in 2014 to avoid the difference being treated as a signing
bonus. Per my estimates the Buccaneers have around $98.25 in cap
commitments in 2014 for 43 players, making a $13 million dollar hit very
reasonable for the team. While they do need to either re-sign Josh
Freeman or find a new QB, both moves are doable within the Bucanners cap
especially considering that they could be parting with two number 1
draft picks in a trade with the Jets. Structuring a deal this way gets
$39 million out of the way in two years, a number almost equal to the
$40 million two year payout received by the Bills Mario Williams, who
Revis is looking at as a guide for his contract. By using conditional
guarantees in the third year of the contract the Buccaneers could likely
structure a deal where Revis could be cut in 2015 with no or limited
penalty if unhealthy.

The other more “out of the box” possibility is that the Buccaneers
are creating cap space to essentially take on a salary dump from the
Jets. In other sports we see trades for cash, something that can’t be
done in the NFL. But if a team has the cap space to absorb a bad
contract with guaranteed salary they can sweeten a trade offer by
essentially taking a majority of the cash and cap obligation away from
the trading team.

The Jets have three bad contracts on their team that contain minimal
prorated money but guaranteed base salaries. These guaranteed salaries
essentially prevent the Jets from cutting the player but by no means
prevent the trade of a player. The two big ones on the books are LB
David Harris and WR Santonio Holmes. Harris has $9.5 million in fully
guaranteed salary in 2013 and a $13 million dollar cap hit. If traded
Harris’ dead money would only be $4 million freeing up $9 million in cap
for the Jets. Holmes carries a $9 million dollar cap hit, $7.5 million
of which comes from a fully guaranteed base salary. Trading Holmes frees
up $5.25 million in cap space for the Jets. The other name is QB Tim
Tebow, who only carries a $2.586 million dollar cap charge, of which
$1.531 million is owed to  the Denver Broncos. None of these 3 players,
to the best of my knowledge, carry any guaranteed salary in 2014 pretty
much making them a 1 year rental for Tampa with no damage done to their
future salary cap.

Of these names the two that make the most sense would be Holmes and
Tebow. Holmes, if healthy, could be a good complement to WR’s Vincent
Jackson and Mike Williams giving Freeman another weapon in the passing
game. Holmes could be convinced to play the slot in Tampa. The money he
would free in cap space would balance out the $3 million loss of cap
from Revis and the $1.83 million cap charge the 13th pick in the draft
should carry making the trade much more acceptable to the Jets. If Tampa
has to part with a 1st round pick in 2013 plus a 2nd or another 1st in
2014 the addition of a second contributing player in the trade will make
the price more acceptable to the Buccaneers. Tebow does not benefit in
the same way, but gives the Jets the chance to save face and money from
the ill advised trade with the Broncos. The low cap charge for Tebow
would not impact the Bucs ability to frontload a deal with Revis the way
Holmes’ would.

While nothing more than wild speculation on my part I do think that
it can provide a pretty interesting way to manipulate the salary cap
that has not really been used at all in the past. As more teams move
towards the cash to cap philosophy it could open the door for more teams
to consider trades as a normal business operation to fix a teams salary
cap.

Two really interesting articles.  Thanks guys.

With out knowing Tampa’s roster very well, and to lazy to look it up, I don’t know if this works for them from a personnel standpoint, but I would think Harris might be the trade sweetener.

He is a good player, just grossly overpaid.  Nobody is going to pay Sanchez 8.25 million to sit on the bench.

Holmes future is totally up in the air.

Harris would probably be a good player for them at least 

Two really interesting articles. Thanks guys.

With out knowing Tampa’s roster very well, and to lazy to look it up, I don’t know if this works for them from a personnel standpoint, but I would think Harris might be the trade sweetener.

He is a good player, just grossly overpaid. Nobody is going to pay Sanchez 8.25 million to sit on the bench.

Holmes future is totally up in the air.

Harris would probably be a good player for them at least

They run a 4 3 and their MLB had over 100 tackles and two sacks. Holmes makes more sense for them.

this would make me fully support a Revis trade.

False idol. Taking on Sanchez's concrete albatross of a contract means they can afford to offer less in the way of draft picks for Revis. If we're gonna suck either way (and we are), I'd rather eat Sanchez's money this year if it means getting an extra 4th (or whatever) from Tampa.

Maybe Jets trade Revis and Sanchez and get nothing back in return. Win!

No different than a Friday night and the hottest chick in the bar is sitting there with her 210lb short necked acne filled faced girlfriend.  Somebodys gonna hate themselves in the morning. 

The big win here to me is Revis and Holmes to TB. Get back a 1 and 4 this year and a 2 next year or something along those lines. 

1) Harris is the only experienced linebacker we have coming back.  As overpaid as he might be, he's productive and we could use a little continuity in that unit, no?

2) TB would only take Tebow to turn around and cut him and absorb the cap hit.  While it would be good for us, I'd rather take the cap hit and not give up trade value in terms of draft picks.  Let's take our medicine.

3) Sanchez sounds like a dream to the Sanchez haters, but again, it's only a one-year problem and anyone who would rather watch Garrard (or some 2nd round rookie) isn't really thnking clearly IMO.

4) Holmes isn't adding enough value right now to warrant keeping him for a year and he creates real cap benefit right now.  Lots of WR talent in this draft.  I like the idea of gambling a bit here, picking up two rookies in this draft and maybe a journeyman FA with gives good locker room to work with Hill, Kerley and the rookies.  Get them experience in WCO so whoever we bring in next year to be the QB has an experienced, young unit to walk into.

With the between the 2nd and 5th rounds (lets assume 5 picks total), I think we can take 2 WRs, a CB and a Safety that can all have a decent chance to stick with the team.  Maybe a TE instead of one of the WRs.  Use the two first rounders on OLB and maybe one of the two OGs.  Maybe grab a QB prospect you like in the middle, and fill in some BPAs at the end.  You fill lots of holes and are set up pretty nicely for 2014.

Get 'er done!

The consensus regarding the NY Jets QB situation is that Mark Sanchez will battle David Garrard and Greg McElroy in training camp for the starting position.  It has been widely reported that Tim Tebow would be released before training camp, if the Jets are unable to trade him.  The other wildcard in the equation is the draft, if the Jets select a QB on day one he would be in the mix for a starting job.

Mike Florio threw a pretty big curve ball yesterday when he reported that the Jets were trying to include Mark Sanchez in the potential Revis Tampa trade.

While poking around the question of whether the Jets could be trying to include quarterback-of-all-trades Tim Tebow in the package (which would keep the Jets from cutting Tebow and seeing him sign with the Patriots), we tripped over a previously unknown nugget.  Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the discussions between the Jets and Bucs have included the possibility of the Buccaneers assuming the contract of quarterback Mark Sanchez.

That seems like a long shot, the contract extension that Mike Tannenbaum gave Mark Sanchez remains the gift that keeps on giving.  Mike Garafolo from USA Today chimed in today and shed some more light on these trade rumors.

The New York Jets’ overtures to push quarterback Mark Sanchez on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as part of a potential trade involving Darrelle Revis were met with resistance from the Bucs, according to a person informed of the conversations between the teams.

The person, who spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because negotiations were to remain private, said the Bucs are not interested in acquiring Sanchez, especially not with his $8.25 million salary on the books this year.

Where does that leave the Jets?  Right back where they started; an open competition in training camp between Sanchez, Garrard and McElroy.  Keep a close eye on the Jets draft day moves.  Actions speak louder than words and draft day will show how much faith (or how little) the Jets have in Sanchez and company.

You can read more about the in the JN forum.

Does anyone think that if the Jets send Revis and Sanchez to Tampa Bay that Josh Freeman would be coming back our way as part of the trade?

Man that would be the trade of the decade. I can't see TB being that stupid but man, one can only hope. I wanted Freeman instead of Sanchez right from that draft. We wouldn't have had to give up extra choices to move up either. I still can her Rex and Tanny after they worked out Sanchez ... "He can make all the throws and NFL QB has to. " Grrrrr

the way this trade discussions are going it's almost like the Jets don't want to trade Revis.

"Give us a 1st. Give us THIS years 1st. ok now take Sanchez. And we want more picks. "

Idzik is either gonna rape Dominik or the bottom will fall out of negotiations. Im ok with either outcome. 

Better then Sanchez means nothing, he sucks.

Just cause you leave a 300 lbs chick for a 230 lbs chick does not mean you should tell anyone still.

Just different levels if suck

So you're backpedaling on your argument already? Freeman is a solid quarterback and doesn't suck. He actually played well last season. If they get a decent pass defense next season, I could see them making the playoffs. Freeman is not the problem in Tampa Bay.

Archived