Chris Ivory Visits, Jets Make Offer

Integrity28

Chris Ivory - RB - Saints

Restricted free agent RB Chris Ivory visited the Jets on Friday.

Ivory was tendered at the second-round level, so the Jets would have to surrender the No. 39 overall pick to sign him. It's hard to see rookie GM John Idzik giving up picks -- especially a high one -- when his squad is short on talent and low on picks. We suppose he could give up the selection if Darrelle Revis nets the Jets an early-round pick in the 2013 draft from the Bucs, but a trade would have to be worked out by the April 19 RFA deadline. Ivory would be an early-down bruiser to pair with speed back Mike Goodson. The 25-year-old has averaged 5.1 YPC on 256 career totes. He's far underutilized in New Orleans.

The obvious, yet unmentioned, point of interest here is the Rob Ryan connection. 

Revis will have other suitors. The Bucs were just sloppy and let themselves be caught in the news cycle. Reality is, you know there are other teams that are going to poke around at Revis when it comes down to it.

I'd take the Saints 2013 first rounder, Chris Ivory (valued at a 2nd / 3rd rounder this year), and a 2014 second rounder that can escalate to a first. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this visit is not in connection with the Revis trade, I will be livid.  I couldn't even fathom trading a high second for Chris Ivory.  He's a pretty good player, but lets not start this crap again with trading away picks.  Keep the picks- get young, and get the cap right.  The only way we should be making a move for a RB is in May, if we don't end up drafting a guy.  Good values at RB are going to be available in rounds 3-5.  I'd much rather draft Andre Ellington in the 4th round than spend a second on Ivory.  Not to mention, we already have 3 guys, and I would assume this puts McKnight on the chopping block since we're not going to carry 4 RB on game day.  McKnight isn't that horrible.

I'm having flashbacks to Justin McCareins.

How are they going to fit his insane contract demands under their cap?

How much could he be asking for? He only has 1300 something yards for his career and three receptions.

He means the Saints, their cap situation is awful. 

I don't have an answer to that, my perspective is that I've never once seen a team unable to manipulate their way around a bad cap situations in order to add one player, especially one top 10 player in the league.

They can figure it out. Maybe Brees restructures, or maybe they send one of their contracts back our way in the deal. Who knows. I'm not worried about it.

I just think it's a reality that a team like New Orleans, with Rob Ryan as their coach, could step up and find a way to get Revis and keep him out of Tampa. The NFC South is going to be a tough division to win... Revis has been linked to ATL and TB so far, it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up in NO. That's all I'm saying... no need to get into the semantics of how they'd do it. GMs get paid to figure it out.

If this visit is not in connection with the Revis trade, I will be livid.  I couldn't even fathom trading a high second for Chris Ivory.  He's a pretty good player, but lets not start this crap again with trading away picks.  Keep the picks- get young, and get the cap right.  The only way we should be making a move for a RB is in May, if we don't end up drafting a guy.  Good values at RB are going to be available in rounds 3-5.  I'd much rather draft Andre Ellington in the 4th round than spend a second on Ivory.  Not to mention, we already have 3 guys, and I would assume this puts McKnight on the chopping block since we're not going to carry 4 RB on game day.  McKnight isn't that horrible.

I'm having flashbacks to Justin McCareins.

Meh, don't over-react. 

Meh, don't over-react. 

I'm hoping I don't have to.  If we trade the 39th pick for this guy it would be an extremely bad move.  The only time it makes sense to trade a high pick for a guy in the off season is if you are 1-2 players away from a SB run, it's a high priority position, and you acquire the old contract, where the other team already paid out the bonus, or if its a player who's value far excedes that of anyone you can draft in that spot.  Chris Ivory may have some potential, but he is not the kind of player who demands a second round pick, and the Jets are not in the position to be trading away picks.  We are in the position we are in right now because we traded away too many picks.  Thomas Jones, Lito Sheppard, Cromartie, Holmes, Tebow.  Some of those guys helped us when we were a good team, but they also left us completly devoid of depth, and put us in cap hell.  Trading a second round pick when you are rebuilding, and getting out of cap hell is not the right way to get the team back to respectability.

no way we give up a 2nd rounder for him. my guess is we try to get him for a 4th or 5th......the saints offense is obviously much better but ivory has a pretty darn good per carry average with them and he performed very very well when pressed into duty his rookie season. doesn't have any receptrions though so that could be a concern for the offense morhinweg wants to run. and one other thing is he has been injured already so that may be a concern also.

Chris Ivory - RB - Saints

Restricted free agent RB Chris Ivory visited the Jets on Friday.

Ivory was tendered at the second-round level, so the Jets would have to surrender the No. 39 overall pick to sign him. It's hard to see rookie GM John Idzik giving up picks -- especially a high one -- when his squad is short on talent and low on picks. We suppose he could give up the selection if Darrelle Revis nets the Jets an early-round pick in the 2013 draft from the Bucs, but a trade would have to be worked out by the April 19 RFA deadline. Ivory would be an early-down bruiser to pair with speed back Mike Goodson. The 25-year-old has averaged 5.1 YPC on 256 career totes. He's far underutilized in New Orleans.

The obvious, yet unmentioned, point of interest here is the Rob Ryan connection. 

Revis will have other suitors. The Bucs were just sloppy and let themselves be caught in the news cycle. Reality is, you know there are other teams that are going to poke around at Revis when it comes down to it.

I'd take the Saints 2013 first rounder, Chris Ivory (valued at a 2nd / 3rd rounder this year), and a 2014 second rounder that can escalate to a first. 

And I'd take Megan Fox....except, its not happening.

A second for a Jag, and the Bucks don't want to give the Jets a first for Revis...

Not true. Bucs are willing to part ways with the 1st if that is all the Jets want, but I agree, Chris Ivory is not worth the 2nd and a new contract. Rather draft a RB in the 2nd round and give him a rookie contract for 4 year.

Both the New York Daily News and ESPN New York report the Jets are not willing to surrender the No. 39 pick for restricted free agent Chris Ivory. As we suspected. The NY Daily News' Manish Mehta confirms the Jets are "very interested" in Ivory, and ESPN New York's Rich Cimini tweeted the club "WON'T give up a 2." Ideally, Ivory would sign his one-year restricted tender and the Jets would acquire him via trade, probably for a fifth- or sixth-round pick. Although Ivory has major durability red flags, the 25-year-old is one of the most physically gifted power runners in the game.

Thank God! 2nd for Ivory is too much.

Step off the ledge, damn. He'll probably sign his one year tender then be traded for a mid-round pick not our high second.

This.

Ivory for a fifth of a sixth isn't terrible, depending on the contract. That would pretty much take the Jets out of the RB market for the rest of the draft.

And this.

As others said, I imagine the Jets plan on making a trade offer to the Saints for him and used the fact he is an RFA simply to be able to have a visit with him.  Whether it's part of a bigger trade (i.e., Revis) or the Jets simply offering a lower pick, there's no way the Jets simply sign him to an offer sheet and give up a high second rounder.  Just consider for a moment, that this is the same Jets GM who's entire FA signing plan has been built around the concept of picking up players who were cut so as to not lose out on compensatory picks, so it's pretty clear how highly he values his draft picks.

Something else to remember is that Ivory was a UDFA, meaning if the Saints had tendered him at the lowest value, he could be signed away for nothing, which is obviously why they didn't do that.  With the RFA tenders they way they are now, 2nd round is the next lowest offer the Saints could have given him, so there's nothing to say that they really think he's worth that much or that they might not be willing to deal him for a good bit less than that.  While I agree surrendering a 2nd for Ivory would be ridiculous, I really wouldn't worry about that as this point.

I don't understand how people laugh at tebow being able to play and then get excited over a guy like Ivory.  He's barely played in college or the NFL due to injury or just not being good enough to start.     So Tebow isn't an NFL QB, but Ivory is an NFL RB?  According to who?

I don't understand how people laugh at tebow being able to play and then get excited over a guy like Ivory.  He's barely played in college or the NFL due to injury or just not being good enough to start.     So Tebow isn't an NFL QB, but Ivory is an NFL RB?  According to who?

Because Chris Ivory isn't trying to play Quarterback, or another position where he doesn't fit.  Becuase Chris Ivory, when healthy and utilized is good at the position he plays.  He's an NFL RB according to the recent superbowl winning saints that decided to put a 2nd round tender on him. I just don't get how this is even relatable to tebow; it's like, so women can't be members at Augusta, but Chris Ivory is an NFL RB?? 

Archived