#1 flgreen

flgreen

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 16,608 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

E.J. Manuel says Eagles, Bills and Jets are showing strong interest

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 17, 2013, 11:05 AM EDT

Former Florida State quarterback E.J. Manuel says three teams with Top 10 picks are showing strong interest in drafting him.

Manuel said on the Dan Patrick Show that the Eagles (who own the No. 4 overall pick), the Bills (No. 8) and the Jets (No. 9) have all made him feel like there’s a good chance they’ll select him.

“I feel really good about the Philadelphia Eagles, I feel really good about the Buffalo Bills, I feel really good about the New York Jets,” Manuel said. “I met with even more teams than that, but those are some of the teams I feel really confident in. I know they need quarterbacks, I know they want quarterbacks, they have brand new coaching staffs and things like that, so they want a fresh start. They want an energetic kind of quarterback to come in and play.”

Not many people expect Manuel to go in the Top 10 overall, and in fact plenty of people don’t think he’s a first-round pick at all. So if those teams are showing interest in Manuel, it may be to take him in the second round.

#2 flgreen

flgreen

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 16,608 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

Sounds like what his agent is telling him

#3 Stonehands

Stonehands

Jet Fan

• Members
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

I still feel like he is going somewhere in the first round.

#4 Joe Jets fan

Joe Jets fan

not sure

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

I so hate the next week.  All kinda of bull crap is going to come out.  95% of it will be lies.

#5 derp

derp

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

Would be quite a leap of faith to take Manuel top 10. Good on paper but needs some work. Seems like a classic Bills move in the top 10.

#6 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,089 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

On paper he's fine...I guess I would be OK with it.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#7 JetsFanInDenver

JetsFanInDenver

Transition Player

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

His agent is taking a page out of the Drew Rosenhaus book. He is not a Top 10 pick. He is not worthy of a first round pick. But by self promoting himself as a Top 10 pick he is raising his stock!

#8 RSJ

RSJ

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 9,849 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

No problem taking him in the second or at the end of the first. I can't see him going in the top 10.

#9 faba

faba

• Moderators
  • 25,126 posts
  • LocationHolmdel

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

Unless teams are really reaching he should not be in the first round

Treat people with how you want to be treated-with respect.

#10 stugotz81

stugotz81

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

i want nothing to do with him in the first round, he is second round maybe even third round talent imo. 

You can’t fly with eagles when you keep walking with turkeys

#11 Greenseed4

Greenseed4

Eskimo Brother

• Members
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

+1 above.

Just because the pickins are slim doesn't mean we need to sacrifice an early pick on a position that can be addressed next year. 

#12 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,271 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

Will he be there in the third round? That's the earliest I would take a QB in this draft.

#13 jetsjetsjetss

jetsjetsjetss

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

+1 above.

Just because the pickins are slim doesn't mean we need to sacrifice an early pick on a position that can be addressed next year. 

why does everyone keep saying this. Who is good in next years draft? None seem to be that great

#14 Stonehands

Stonehands

Jet Fan

• Members
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

so, you guys are ok with Mark for another year?

#15 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,271 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

so, you guys are ok with Mark for another year?

We're stuck with him but that doesn't mean he has to play. Tebow will be gone. I'm not sure that McElroy will make it through camp but I bet he will once Garrard eventually breaks down. I think you take a guy with promise in the 4th or 5th and see what happens.

#16 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,341 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

We're stuck with him but that doesn't mean he has to play. Tebow will be gone. I'm not sure that McElroy will make it through camp but I bet he will once Garrard eventually breaks down. I think you take a guy with promise in the 4th or 5th and see what happens.

I understand not wanting to reach on certain players, but doesn't it seem a bit backwards that you would rather pass on the best QB in this class as he's the best of a sh*tty group, but you'd rather give the lesser of the "sh*tty class" a chance, simply because he wouldn't be considered a "reach?"

Again, I'm not advocating for any particular quarterback, I just never get the idea of people wanting to pass on the best QBs that year as they might seem like a reach, but wholeheartedly support the idea of draft a sh*tty quarterback in the middle rounds and hope they can develop him.  

#17 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,271 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

I understand not wanting to reach on certain players, but doesn't it seem a bit backwards that you would rather pass on the best QB in this class as he's the best of a sh*tty group, but you'd rather give the lesser of the "sh*tty class" a chance, simply because he wouldn't be considered a "reach?"

Again, I'm not advocating for any particular quarterback, I just never get the idea of people wanting to pass on the best QBs that year as they might seem like a reach, but wholeheartedly support the idea of draft a sh*tty quarterback in the middle rounds and hope they can develop him.

You'd have to prove to me Geno Smith is without a doubt the best QB in this class. Some scouts are mixed.

#18 T0mShane

T0mShane

From devil to Bevell, '15

• Members
  • 25,853 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

You'd have to prove to me Geno Smith is without a doubt the best QB in this class. Some scouts are mixed.

Some scouts swore that Ryan Leaf was better than Peyton Manning.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#19 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,271 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

Some scouts swore that Ryan Leaf was better than Peyton Manning.

Some people think cucumbers are better pickled.

#20 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 18,847 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

A lot of pressure on everyone involved if the Jets take a QB at #9. If Idzik isn't sure about the guy, I don't see him pulling the trigger. Don't know what he's thinking about Rex for sure, either. Does he spend #9 on a QB that fits Mornhinweg's system, only to let Mornhinweg go after the season? Too many variables, I think - unless he really loves a guy.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him "reach" for a QB in the later rounds, though. Maybe take a guy like Dysert a round allegedly too early.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#21 Stonehands

Stonehands

Jet Fan

• Members
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

You'll certainly never make a high profile mistake with that philosophy...but, you will probably also never draft a franchise QB that way either. Without a franchise QB, you don't have a team. QB is not like an offensive guard or a safety, you can't just stick some guy in the position and hope to win games. You need a great QB and the chance of finding them later in the draft is very remote.

#22 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,271 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

You'll certainly never make a high profile mistake with that philosophy...but, you will probably also never draft a franchise QB that way either. Without a franchise QB, you don't have a team. QB is not like an offensive guard or a safety, you can't just stick some guy in the position and hope to win games. You need a great QB and the chance of finding them later in the draft is very remote.

Okay. I don't believe there is a franchise QB in this draft. That's just me. So why would we waste a pick in the early part of the draft on something that isn't there?

You're almost as likely to bust in a first round QB as you are to find a great QB.

#23 rillo

rillo

Bernard Pollard for President.

• Members
  • 9,642 posts
  • LocationWPB, FL

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

As a FSU fan, this guy SUCKS! Maybe take a chance in the 6th round or something. 

#24 kelticwizard

kelticwizard

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 3,212 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern Connecticut

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:45 PM

I did some research once and looked up the draft position of the top 16 QB's, (by QB rating, which I'm not crazy about but what the hell).  This was a few years ago.

Eight were first rounders, (though not all with their original team), three were second rounders, and the rest were evenly distributed across the rest of the draft and undrafted free agents.

This business of "well we need a QB so let's see who's there on the fourth round" doesn't cut it.  I love Russel Wilson but what he did doesn't happen often.

Edited by kelticwizard, 17 April 2013 - 10:46 PM.

#25 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,341 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:35 AM

I did some research once and looked up the draft position of the top 16 QB's, (by QB rating, which I'm not crazy about but what the hell).  This was a few years ago.

Eight were first rounders, (though not all with their original team), three were second rounders, and the rest were evenly distributed across the rest of the draft and undrafted free agents.

This business of "well we need a QB so let's see who's there on the fourth round" doesn't cut it.  I love Russel Wilson but what he did doesn't happen often.

I believe it's even more exaggerated than that, but I can't recall the exact numbers.  Scott from NFLDC did a long retrospective analysis of all the successful QBs in the league for a number of years (forgot what he labeled as successful; maybe it was pro bowl or maybe it was just starter etc.) and the overwhelming majority were all first rounders and of those first rounders a lot were top half of the draft.  It's just so rare to actually hit on a QB outside of the first or even high second round.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users