Tampa Bay Times: Price For Revis May be to High

flgreen

The keep Revis crowd is annoying.  What in gods name makes them think:

A) The Jets are paying Revis

B ) Revis would consider staying after being "disrespected" like this

He doesn't want to play out the year for only an additional $6M.  If he plays out this year under his current deal and hurts that knee again he'll never again sniff at the lowest number the Jets could possibly throw at him.  So Revis would consider staying.  But with all the money TB was supposedly going to pay him if the Jets agreed to their top trade offer, I don't know what he'd settle for with the Jets just to get sure money now which will plainly be less than he could get if he makes it through the year unscathed (and not burned for multiple TDs for the first time).

But if we can't (or won't) re-sign him for a reasonable deal, the dumbest thing possible is to let him play out the season and walk.  We're not at that stage yet.  Technically we're not even at that stage after the draft.  It just means the top offer won't be a 2013 1st rounder unless the Jets covet the player someone else drafted in round 1 (like with the Giants/SD when Eli was drafted).

He doesn't want to play out the year for only an additional $6M.  If he plays out this year under his current deal and hurts that knee again he'll never again sniff at the lowest number the Jets could possibly throw at him.  So Revis would consider staying.  But with all the money TB was supposedly going to pay him if the Jets agreed to their top trade offer, I don't know what he'd settle for with the Jets just to get sure money now which will plainly be less than he could get if he makes it through the year unscathed (and not burned for multiple TDs for the first time).

But if we can't (or won't) re-sign him for a reasonable deal, the dumbest thing possible is to let him play out the season and walk.  We're not at that stage yet.  Technically we're not even at that stage after the draft.  It just means the top offer won't be a 2013 1st rounder unless the Jets covet the player someone else drafted in round 1 (like with the Giants/SD when Eli was drafted).

Revis was supposedly prepared to sit out the entire 10' season.  I remember reading stories about how strong minded he is and that he'd have no problem skipping the season.

If he feels slighted, which surely he does by now, I don't think there's any way he takes less than that 15 million dollar figure that keeps getting floated around.  If he has to suffer the indignity of playing for a mere 6 Million this year, I don't think there's any way in hell he's here in 14'. 

By all accounts Idzik and co. have been ignoring Revis' agents...  If they had any inkling of signing him to a long term contract you'd think the subject would have been broached by now.

I think his pride and inflated sense of self worth will override any fear he has about getting re-injured this year.

Revis was supposedly prepared to sit out the entire 10' season.  I remember reading stories about how strong minded he is and that he'd have no problem skipping the season.

If he feels slighted, which surely he does by now, I don't think there's any way he takes less than that 15 million dollar figure that keeps getting floated around.  If he has to suffer the indignity of playing for a mere 6 Million this year, I don't think there's any way in hell he's here in 14'. 

By all accounts Idzik and co. have been ignoring Revis' agents...  If they had any inkling of signing him to a long term contract you'd think the subject would have been broached by now.

I think his pride and inflated sense of self worth will override any fear he has about getting re-injured this year.

There is no reason to talk to Revis's agents about a contract right now. The time to do that will start during training camp. It doesn't benefit the Jets at all to resign him right now. When 6 million is staring Revis and his agents in the face, that is when you want to have that conversation. 12 + 12 > 6 +15, added to that is the security of a long term deal. But ofcourse the best solution for Revis would be a deal for 15 million right now, which is why his camp is pouring the heat on the Jets, even though there is no heat on the Jets at the moment.

Revis can not sit this season out or he is a Jet for the next 3 years. I'm not worried about hard feelings here. Revis will take the deal that most benefits him. He has bills to pay and I'm pretty sure he cant afford to play for a measly 6 million. Training camp is when the tables really turn on Revis, imho.

7-9 is better than 6-10 or 5-11. 

by the way the timing is important. Tampa Bay reportedly wanted to put Revis thru a physical, that was supposed to happen a week prior to the 1st round. the draft is next Thursday night. 

Finishing 4th is better than finishing 5th too, but if those are your aspirations, you are short and small minded.

Finishing 4th is better than finishing 5th too, but if those are your aspirations, you are short and small minded.

keep talking junk meanwhile Revis still a Jet.  my aspirations are the same as yours I just don't think they need to burn the village down to rebuild it. 

is it the year after? i thought it was the same year....thats even worse

Yes, comp picks are assigned before the league year begins for the year prior. So yes, the Jets will get a comp pick in 2015 for losing Revis in 2014.

I never said not to trade him. I just said not to trade him for peanuts. Bucs want him bad. They wanna be a playoff team and Revis is the missing piece with their league worst pass D last year. Its not like the Bucs have solid corners in place and just adding luxury. They are adding a player they badly need. They will give in. They won't find a player of Revis' caliber in this years draft and salary cap is not even a concern for them. Idzik knows this. Bucs know it. They both know it. They are just waiting to see who gives in first. If another team joins the bidding, I can assure you Bucs will try to jump back in with their 1st and a 2nd.

Percy got a 1st, and 3rd, and a 7th rounder. He's never had a thousand yard season, gave a ton of headaches to the Vikes, and has a hard time remaining healthy throughout the year. Revis deserves more...and not just marginally.

That's the silver lining here.  It is evident that our "circus" (whatever that is) has changed and that they new FO has a tighter reign on the org. I like it.

that being said, I hope they trade Revis. The 1st, 3rd and 5th are fine with me. I also hope they throw Tebow in for a snickers bar. I heard they really satisfy.

I like the lack of the circus. And when there is no circus you do not need any jokers...er.....Tebow!

From what i am reading(if true)  Bucs want to only give the 1st and the 5th. Not the 3rd pick. That's horrible trade for the JETS. Percy Harvin got more. I am with Idzik for not wanting to trade Tebow.

If they cannot get a trade done before the draft there is no harm in bringing Revis to training camp and fulfill his final year obligation and that too for 6.5 mill. Once scouts from various teams see him move in training camp or regular season there will be a lot more interest and teams will be willing to give more up.

Downside is we will not get this years draft picks but we can get more compensation going forward. Or worse case Revis plays an entire season and then walks.

The only way Idzik should "cave" on this is if his medical staff tells him Revis will not be the same going forward.

From what i am reading(if true)  Bucs want to only give the 1st and the 5th. Not the 3rd pick. That's horrible trade for the JETS. Percy Harvin got more. I am with Idzik for not wanting to trade Tebow.

If they cannot get a trade done before the draft there is no harm in bringing Revis to training camp and fulfill his final year obligation and that too for 6.5 mill. Once scouts from various teams see him move in training camp or regular season there will be a lot more interest and teams will be willing to give more up.

Downside is we will not get this years draft picks but we can get more compensation going forward. Or worse case Revis plays an entire season and then walks.

The only way Idzik should "cave" on this is if his medical staff tells him Revis will not be the same going forward.

How is your "worse" case better than only getting 2 picks for him (not saying that is all they should get)?

How is your "worse" case better than only getting 2 picks for him (not saying that is all they should get)?

You cannot get the best deal if you are not willing to walk away and live the consequences.

Remember when it was first reported that the Bucs only wanted to give a 2nd and a 4th. They are now upto a 1st and a 5th. And they have done an expert job on tapping in the JETS haters in the media. The Peter King's of this world who keep harping time and again that the JETS should take the deal. I would not be surprised if most JETS fans feel that way now by this media dominated indoctrination.

You cannot get the best deal if you are not willing to walk away and live the consequences.

Remember when it was first reported that the Bucs only wanted to give a 2nd and a 4th. They are now upto a 1st and a 5th. And they have done an expert job on tapping in the JETS haters in the media. The Peter King's of this world who keep harping time and again that the JETS should take the deal. I would not be surprised if most JETS fans feel that way now by this media dominated indoctrination.

The best deal is still better than the worst scenario (Revis walking).

Of course the Jets are going to hold out for the best possible deal. If they get a "1" and something else of value, they will have to take it.

The best deal is still better than the worst scenario (Revis walking).

Of course the Jets are going to hold out for the best possible deal. If they get a "1" and something else of value, they will have to take it.

A lot of teams would never have gotten proper value for their trade if they had held to that principle.

This is not the first trade of this kind in the NFL. I think the JETS fans are so used to the 'quick Tanny blink' that they find this process pretty foreign!

Pssss, it's a secret but this year is a wash regardless and then 1 season after that he's 30 with a repaired knee and still a complete and total douchebag. GET. THIS. ****ER off the team.

I want Revis traded too, but why do people keep talking about how old he is?  He's 27 years old right now.  He will finish the upcoming season at 28.  He will finish the 2014 season at 29.  He won't be 30 until the 2015 season.

I hope they hold out for the best trade.  But at the same time, if they overvalue what they can get and he winds up walking for really nothing next year,  Idzik and the Jets will be the laughing stock, nobody else.     And at this point, unless the Jets offer him a hell of a lot more than everybody else,  he' s probably going to walk.    He and his agent and family already has an attitude, after this offseason and the way its gone down, he probably has a bigger attitude against the Jets FO.

It's really common sense.  Imagine you were Revis.  You feel like you are the best player on a team. You feel like you are the best CB or defensive player in the NFL.  You feel underpaid.  You want more money. You want to be the highest paid player.   You get injured.  Now trade rumors start. The HC, whom you seem to love and he loves you, is rumored to be 'walking dead' this season.   The Jets have cut a lot of players.   More trade rumors happen about you.  The FO don't seem to be defending you or saying you will have a new contract worked out.   You see a guy like Clay Mathews get a contract extension.  And they have to extend another guy named Aaron Rodgers.  So imagine how you feel.    

Thats the problem.   When teams like the Packers extend players they think are their stars,  it looks bad that the Jets have no desire to even speak about extending Revis.  They just allow the trade rumors to continue on.    Why would you resign with a team who treated you like that?  Especially if you are their best player.     I mean even thougjh Clay Mathews is great, he's not Aaron Rodgers.   And they still extended  him while working on a deal for Rodgers.  

The Jets... they have no stars.  They are dumping players.  So the only guy they have, Revis,  is only in conversations about trades and not extensions.  There lies the problem with what the Jets think they have and what they think other teams think they have.   Again, if you were Revis and have dealt with all this crap and see what other teams are trying to do with their star players,  why would you come back?  Especially considering you don't even really live in the area.    

And thats if Ryan sticks around.   If Ryan is fired,  what would be the reason?  Honestly, we've all been in situations similar to Revis. Maybe not exactly like it, but if your company doesn't seem to respect you or give a crap about you,  you leave when you get a chance.  

I hope they hold out for the best trade. But at the same time, if they overvalue what they can get and he winds up walking for really nothing next year, Idzik and the Jets will be the laughing stock, nobody else. And at this point, unless the Jets offer him a hell of a lot more than everybody else, he' s probably going to walk. He and his agent and family already has an attitude, after this offseason and the way its gone down, he probably has a bigger attitude against the Jets FO.

It's really common sense. Imagine you were Revis. You feel like you are the best player on a team. You feel like you are the best CB or defensive player in the NFL. You feel underpaid. You want more money. You want to be the highest paid player. You get injured. Now trade rumors start. The HC, whom you seem to love and he loves you, is rumored to be 'walking dead' this season. The Jets have cut a lot of players. More trade rumors happen about you. The FO don't seem to be defending you or saying you will have a new contract worked out. You see a guy like Clay Mathews get a contract extension. And they have to extend another guy named Aaron Rodgers. So imagine how you feel.

Thats the problem. When teams like the Packers extend players they think are their stars, it looks bad that the Jets have no desire to even speak about extending Revis. They just allow the trade rumors to continue on. Why would you resign with a team who treated you like that? Especially if you are their best player. I mean even thougjh Clay Mathews is great, he's not Aaron Rodgers. And they still extended him while working on a deal for Rodgers.

The Jets... they have no stars. They are dumping players. So the only guy they have, Revis, is only in conversations about trades and not extensions. There lies the problem with what the Jets think they have and what they think other teams think they have. Again, if you were Revis and have dealt with all this crap and see what other teams are trying to do with their star players, why would you come back? Especially considering you don't even really live in the area.

And thats if Ryan sticks around. If Ryan is fired, what would be the reason? Honestly, we've all been in situations similar to Revis. Maybe not exactly like it, but if your company doesn't seem to respect you or give a crap about you, you leave when you get a chance.

I'm consigning on this one. Well said. I think idzik is negotiating well so far but we will find out soon enough. He's showing big balls so far. Hopefully he doesn't trip on them and botch this. It's not easy getting Max value for anyone when you are in this position. (Injury big contract no cap space and one real partner) here's hoping we're all happy with the outcome.

We should totally get nothing for Revis like Carolina got with Peppers.  At least the Panthers can hold their heads up high that they didn't get ripped off by only getting a 1st & a 5th for him.

Probably teams didn't consider Peppers an impact guy. 

It's not really as bad as you think.  The difference in value between TB's 13th overall pick and the pick Seattle gave Minnesotta is equivalent to a second rounder at the top of the second round.  Those high second round picks are traded for 1st rounders in the following year all the time during the draft.  The 13th overall pick has a lot of value, if we get more than that, it's gravy in my book.

It's not really as bad as you think.  The difference in value between TB's 13th overall pick and the pick Seattle gave Minnesotta is equivalent to a second rounder at the top of the second round.  Those high second round picks are traded for 1st rounders in the following year all the time during the draft.  The 13th overall pick has a lot of value, if we get more than that, it's gravy in my book.

#13 by itself carries the same trade value as Seattle's #1, #2, #4, #5, and #6 combined.  Or, technically, #1 this year, #1 next year, plus this year's #4, #5, #6.  And then there's TB's #5 this year on top of that.  Which is the same as Seattle's #5 and #7.

TB's #13 is the trade equivalent of getting (from a team in Seattle's draft slot) two #1's, a #2, a #4, two #5's, a #6, and a #7.  A good enough haul if you ask me.  Particularly if the team has no interest in re-signing him at Revis's minimum bottom-line.

Archived