The Jets will have ~$50 mil in cap space in 2014

T0mShane

I'm not sure if its the same Jason, but a cap aficionado on Twitter (@Jason_OTC) looked ahead and projected the Jets will have $50 mil in cap space in 2014. Hold your Revis tears, please.

No Sanchez, Holmes, and a likely top ten pick too.  

The negative rep was an accident and I'm not sorry.  I hope the Bulls gnaw off Deron's stupid ankles.

I'm not sure if its the same Jason, but a cap aficionado on Twitter (@Jason_OTC) looked ahead and projected the Jets will have $50 mil in cap space in 2014. Hold your Revis tears, please.

I think this is great news... however, I'll never pass on the opportunity to neg rep bomb you. LOL

No Sanchez, Holmes, and a likely top ten pick too.  

The negative rep was an accident and I'm not sorry.  I hope the Bulls gnaw off Deron's stupid ankles.

Yeah, mine was an accident too.

lol

Mine wasn't. You woosies!!!! 

All you guys ready to be the new Cleveland Browns/ Jacksonville Jags? As one of those teams with lots of cap space but no one really wants to go to and end with a top pick every draft? It doesn't matter much to have cap space especially when you suck as you have to grossly over pay to get players on a horrible team.

Having tons of cap space only means something if you know how to draft great players.  Then you can add some depth, a veteran, etc.   

As much as people hated Tanny, they did bring in some vets and went to an AFC championship game in 2010..   

But just having 50 mil to spend doesn't exactly translate to wins.  Ask the Eagles.  And they had a talented team.

So who the hell are we're going to spend $40m/plus on?

Got this from another site: didn't feel like combing through all the players that may or may not have received a new contract, but I took off the major names like Clay Matthews and Romo etc. So take it all with a grain of salt. 

2014 NFL Free Agents

QB’s

Matt Ryan- Atlanta

Jay Cutler- Chicago

Josh Freeman- Tampa Bay

RB’s

Maurice Jones-Drew- Jacksonville

Darren McFadden- Oakland

Ben Tate- Houston

Vonta Leach- Baltimore

John Kuhn- Green Bay

WR’s

Hakeem Nicks- New York Giants

Eric Decker- Denver

Jeremy Maclin- Philadelphia

Mike Williams- Tampa Bay

James Jones- Green Bay

Anquan Boldin- San Francisco

Golden Tate- Seattle

Devin Hester- Chicago

TE’s

Jimmy Graham- New Orleans

Jermichael Finley- Green Bay

Brandon Pettigrew- Detroit

Greg Olsen- Carolina

Dustin Keller- Miami

OL

Michael Oher- Baltimore

Eric Wood- Buffalo

Jared Veldheer- Oakland

Dominic Raiola- Detroit

Alex Mack- Cleveland

DL

Marcell Dareus- Buffalo

Geno Atkins- Cincinnati

Carlos Dunlap- Cincinnati

Justin Tuck- New York Giants

Jared Allen- Minnesota

Justin Smith- San Francisco

Paul Soliai- Miami

Randy Starks- Miami

Brett Keisel- Pittsburgh

LB’s

Brian Orakpo- Washington

Brian Cushing- Houston

Jonathan Vilma- New Orleans

Jason Worilds- Pittsburgh

CB’s

Charles Tillman- Chicago

Tim Jennings- Chicago

Tarell Brown- San Francisco

Josh Wilson- Washington

Aqib Talib- New England

Vontae Davis- Indianapolis

S

Kam Chancellor- Seattle

Troy Polamalu- Pittsburgh

TJ Ward- Cleveland

Malcom Jenkins- New Orleans

K

Sebastian Janikowski

50 under with no QBs, no WR #1, no RB #1, no TE #1, no OGs and holes on the defense. But yeah.

If they didn't trade him, they'd've lost him next year, and they'd have $41M million in cap space, and the same number of openings. 

So who the hell are we're going to spend $40m/plus on?

2014 Free Agents : 

QBs  -   Matt Ryan (extended or franchised),  Jay Cutler, Josh Freeman

RBs  -  Maurice Jones-Drew, Darren McFadden, Ben Tate, Vonta Leach, John Kuhn, 

WRs -  Hakeem Nicks (probably franchised), Eric Decker, Jeremy Maclin, Mike Williams,  Anquan Boldin, Golden Tate, Devin Hester

TEs  -  Jimmy Graham(franchised), Jermichael Finley, Brandon Pettigew, Greg Olsen,  Dustin Keller

OL   -   Michale Oher, Eric Wood, Jared Veldheer, Dominic Railoa, Alex Mack

DL  - Marcell Dareus, Geno Atkins(franchised), Carlos Dunlap, Justin Tuck, Jared Allen, Justin Smith, Paul Soliai, Randy Starks, Brad Kiesel

LBs -  Brian Orakpo(franchised), Brian Cushing(franchised), Jonathan Vilma, Jason Worilds

CBs - Charles Tillman, Tim Jennings, Tarell Brown, Josh Wilson, Aquib Talib, Vontae Davis

S  - Kam Chancellor, Troy Palamalu, TJ Ward, Malcom Jenkins, 

K - Sebastina Janikowski

Matt Ryan is working on an extension and if nothing happens, they'll franchise the guy.  How many Pro Bowl like QBs who make the playoffs every year get dumped?   They only get cut when teams have a replacement and they think the QB is past their prime.  Or a QB gets a bad injury and they decide to move onto some other #1 QB pick.

The other issue is if the Jets just are bad and they dump the entire coaching staff, how many free agents will even want to come here? Great you can offer more money, but how much more compared to some other winning team?  And after the past few years, the Jets rep is not a good one.  As somebody else said,  how many free agents, unless they are dumb and just not as good as you'd hope, jump to the Jags, Bills, Browns, Raiders, etc?   And this season the Jets look like they are in that conversation.   

2014 Free Agents : 

QBs  -   Matt Ryan (extended or franchised),  Jay Cutler, Josh Freeman

RBs  -  Maurice Jones-Drew, Darren McFadden, Ben Tate, Vonta Leach, John Kuhn, 

WRs -  Hakeem Nicks (probably franchised), Eric Decker, Jeremy Maclin, Mike Williams,  Anquan Boldin, Golden Tate, Devin Hester

TEs  -  Jimmy Graham(franchised), Jermichael Finley, Brandon Pettigew, Greg Olsen,  Dustin Keller

OL   -   Michale Oher, Eric Wood, Jared Veldheer, Dominic Railoa, Alex Mack

DL  - Marcell Dareus, Geno Atkins(franchised), Carlos Dunlap, Justin Tuck, Jared Allen, Justin Smith, Paul Soliai, Randy Starks, Brad Kiesel

LBs -  Brian Orakpo(franchised), Brian Cushing(franchised), Jonathan Vilma, Jason Worilds

CBs - Charles Tillman, Tim Jennings, Tarell Brown, Josh Wilson, Aquib Talib, Vontae Davis

S  - Kam Chancellor, Troy Palamalu, TJ Ward, Malcom Jenkins, 

K - Sebastina Janikowski

It's really not very helpful to post this. The percentage of these players who will actually be URA's is very very low. 

It's really not very helpful to post this. The percentage of these players who will actually be URA's is very very low. 

But thats my point.  These are the guys potentially on the list and there aren't a ton of "we will sign him" kind of guys.  

So with all this money next year, who will the Jets really sign?   Seems more like they will just be saving money for Woody.

Plus if any of their one year injury prone guys does well this season, they'll have to pay them more next year, like Landry. Or watch those guys leave and then be forced to sign somebody to replace them.    

How does this replace Revis dammit? How? HOW? *in whiny Jets fan voice

You don't need to replace Revis with Revis, but you need to replace him somehow.  Look at the Pats and Welker.. The guy who had over 100 Receptions every year since he became a Patriot, they let go, and they went and signed some other younger version like a week later.   He might not be Welker, but if he puts up close to it, no loss.  

The Jets need to start replacing players and not just dumping them. It's easy to just slash the entire team, slash some more salary next year(Holmes, Sanchez, etc) and have a ton of cap space.   But you need to actually start drafting replacement players and bringing in long term solutions.  Otherwise you have a team of one year rental players that aren't very good.    

I'm watching what the Jets are doing with a close eye because there is a fear I have that this is more about cutting costs than rebuilding. If they have a great draft, then it's golden. If they seem to trade down and just pick up guards and tackles,  you start to wonder what are they building.

All I know is over the years, the Jets seem to dump their young star players more often than not.  Sometimes it's valid, other times it's one of those, should we really have done that. And they never replaced Abraham.. And its how many years later?   Vilma..He was out of position and he went to the Saints and won a super bowl.    Johnson years ago never lived up to the #1 hype, but he put up good numbers and won a super bowl.   Now Revis.     Eventually you have to wonder if the Jets just dont' like having 'larger than life " good players on their team.

Archived