EJ Manuel - QB Prospect - Why do you Love/Hate him as a Jets Pick?

Strangefunk

I like the idea of drafting EJ Manuel as a QB. I believe he has the right mix of size, speed and arm strength that can upend the current Sanchez/Garrard QB tree. I don't want to throw away the 2013 season. Drafting EJ would instantly inject some life in the QB position and honestly looking over his game tape, I think the can be very successful in the NFL.

What type of QB does he project into? I see him as a Kaepernick-lite. He has a great arm, good legs and creates plays when things break down. His weakness, which is correctable, is that he carries the ball without regard to its safety when he runs. HOWEVER, that can be corrected. He had a good completion percentage and he has good accuracy. I think the Jets should draft him. Much higher ceiling than Nassib, Barkley or Dysert.

If we trade down with San Fran and get there first as well as this years second. I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him with a later pick. They'll have 4 picks in the first two rounds to maybe get a OLB, TE, OG, QB, CB, WR or S.

Getting any of these 4 positions in the first two rounds would be a huge help.

EJ Manuel is a mid round prospect, inflated by a horrible QB class and his measurables.  He's a project QB at best. 

He's not a natural passer and I dont think he'll ever evolve into someone you can trust to drop back and throw the ball 30 times in the pocket for a victory.   He's got no touch.  Throws darts on everything and misses very short throws.  Inconsistent on his long ball.  He put up decent numbers this year playing in a conference that doesnt play defense.   He played 1 top notch defense this season and was horrible.  Hard to watch horribe vs. Florida...at his last home game of his career!   Didnt have a drastic improvement year over year at FSU which concerns me considering the talent he had around him.

I'd like Manuel if it was the 5th round or past.  Dont see him having a good career. Reminds me of Tavaris Jackson. 

I like the idea of drafting EJ Manuel as a QB. I believe he has the right mix of size, speed and arm strength that can upend the current Sanchez/Garrard QB tree. I don't want to throw away the 2013 season. Drafting EJ would instantly inject some life in the QB position and honestly looking over his game tape, I think the can be very successful in the NFL.

What type of QB does he project into? I see him as a Kaepernick-lite. He has a great arm, good legs and creates plays when things break down. His weakness, which is correctable, is that he carries the ball without regard to its safety when he runs. HOWEVER, that can be corrected. He had a good completion percentage and he has good accuracy. I think the Jets should draft him. Much higher ceiling than Nassib, Barkley or Dysert.

I see him developing more closely to Cleo Lemon, or similar ilk. Picking him any earlier than the 5th will be terrible.  If he's not available then, thankfully, he will be someone else's problem.   The only way I would use the word "ceiling" with him is if it were falling on his head.  

This is the trouble with QB prospects.  They can either play or they can't.  If you pick an LB and go for value, you may get a part time player or a special teamer.  A QB is either a GOOD starter or worthless.  Sanchez and Tebow weren't horrible picks as far as value goes, but they are not helpful because they are not GOOD starting QBs.  Therefore, if you have a QB you like, you take him and take him early because the next guy on your list probably isn't going to cut it.  The only way the later picks help is as developmental prospects.  Being picked later takes the pressure off and  you can let your QB guru (cough, cough, Baby Schottenheimer, Matt Cavanaugh, cough) work with the clay. 

FWIW, Kevin O'Connell has really good measurables.  He's a student of the game, coaches son and probably will go into coaching. QB?  Not so great.  

I like EJ Manuel as a potential Jets pick for all the reasons I hated when Collin Kaepernick was "over drafted" by the 49'ers.  I said all the same things about Kaepernick that JIF says above about EJ Manuel, but ultimately, Kaepernick's athleticism for the position made him a good prospect.  EJ Manuel will not be a traditional drop back passer who picks apart defenses with pin point passes to the tune of a 70% completion percentage in the pros.  What he will be is a guy that can make big plays with his legs and then take advantage of the defense's attempts to adjust to those plays by completing passes against linebacker heavy defenses that are forced to play more zone.  I can see him dropping back on a third and six and being just as likely to bootleg into a misdirection pass as throw a bomb as tuck it under and get 10 yards in a weak spot in the defense.  That kind of guy seems very exciting to me and a good gamble to bring on board.  His downside to me still seems like a pretty usefull player even if he never progresses past a back up role.  In order to find a top level, winning QB, you have to bring guys in and give them a chance to develop.  You can poo poo every QB prospect for some reason, but this guy's upside is something that can't be denied.

I like Manuel. When Ponder went down performance wise FSU didn't miss a beat as he was ready every week to step up and full the void. Also JiF couldn't be any wronger in his evaluation. To saw he throws darts on everything just proves he hasn't watch much of the kid as I seen the opposite. Feels he throws with too much touch and arch at time and needs to show more zip. Not asking him to be a gunslinger like Cutler but at times he needs to show he can zip it in there fast and quick. If you don't have that throwing power needed, DBs have a higher chance of recovering. Also not sure about this talent around him in which you speak especially at the skill position without Thompson and Reed. Kelvin Benjamin is the worst.

Love EJ Manuel.... Rocket Arm... Can scramble when the pocket breaks down and make something happen.

Strengths

Manuel is a big, strong, fast athlete who keeps defenses on their heels. He smoothly executes play fakes and rollouts with precision.

Manuel's delivery is clean and he seems to have natural feel as a passer in the short and intermediate areas of the defense, whether he's throwing a touch pass or a fastball. Manuel isn't always accurate as a deep passer, but he has the arm strength to stretch NFL defenses. While he is a dangerous runner, Manuel doesn't abandon the pocket at the first sign of trouble, but he has good vision and can make strong throws downfield outside of the pocket.

I like Manuel. When Ponder went down performance wise FSU didn't miss a beat as he was ready every week to step up and full the void. Also JiF couldn't be any wronger in his evaluation. To saw he throws darts on everything just proves he hasn't watch much of the kid as I seen the opposite. Feels he throws with too much touch and arch at time and needs to show more zip. Not asking him to be a gunslinger like Cutler but at times he needs to show he can zip it in there fast and quick. If you don't have that throwing power needed, DBs have a higher chance of recovering. Also not sure about this talent around him in which you speak especially at the skill position without Thompson and Reed. Kelvin Benjamin is the worst.

Ummmmm, no.  I've watched a ton of Manuel, a ton.  It seems your the one who hasnt.

He's got zero touch.  He's got a live arm and doesnt know when to take a little off, everything is a straight line ala Vick in his early years.  Maybe he changes that...but that's the truth.  He's got a big arm, but he's not a natural passer has zero feel for the blitz and is slow to process the D.   

FSU was stacked on both sides of the ball.  Not sure why you'd argue different.  They should have gone undefeated but didnt mainly because Manuel played absolutely embarrassingly bad vs. NC St. and Florida.  

And I dont know how on earth you could say that he filled in for Ponder and they didnt miss a beat.  They were 8-5 with him as a replacement but the dude was a turnover machine when he'd take over for Ponder.  

Try again.

Love EJ Manuel.... Rocket Arm... Can scramble when the pocket breaks down and make something happen.

Strengths

Manuel is a big, strong, fast athlete who keeps defenses on their heels. He smoothly executes play fakes and rollouts with precision.

Manuel's delivery is clean and he seems to have natural feel as a passer in the short and intermediate areas of the defense, whether he's throwing a touch pass or a fastball. Manuel isn't always accurate as a deep passer, but he has the arm strength to stretch NFL defenses. While he is a dangerous runner, Manuel doesn't abandon the pocket at the first sign of trouble, but he has good vision and can make strong throws downfield outside of the pocket.

WEAKNESSES

Gives opponents too many chances for turnovers by forcing throws into coverage trying to make a play. Area code accuracy short throws are often low or wide, preventing receivers from making a play after the catch. Deep ball accuracy is uneven, as well. Gets happy feet under pressure, spins to the outside to avoid the rush. Inconsistent recognizing blitz. Must step into his throws more consistently to fully utilize his arm strength.

I am glad we are able to discuss this QB. I think, out of all the QB prospects, he intrigues me the most with his ceiling. I am not sold on Geno, Barkely, or Glennon. I think Manuel would be a good late t1st round or early second round pickup and Dysert would be a good pick in the late 4th round to early 5th round. Manuel has a better ceiling and will provide, I believe, the spark that the dormant Jets O needs. Dysert is a longer term project and would take at least 2 years to develop and roll out. I don't believe Dysert would challenge Sanchez/Garrard this year while Manuel would definitely challenge Sanchez/Garrard this year for the starting QB role.

Colin Kaepernick Draft Report 2011

http://draftbreakdown.com/scouting-report-colin-kaepernick

EJ Manuel

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=83592&draftyear=2013&genpos=qb

There are other scouting reports out there. I like this QB, true, he probably won't be Kaepernick BUT I think his upside is much better than the other QBs in this draft.

Ummmmm, no.  I've watched a ton of Manuel, a ton.  It seems your the one who hasnt.

He's got zero touch.  He's got a live arm and doesnt know when to take a little off, everything is a straight line ala Vick in his early years. 

What are you seeing?!?! What live arm? He finesse to many of his throws and needs to zip it more when needed. Not sure how you can concluded it that other way around.

This is from Dane Brugler:

8. EJ MANUEL | Florida State

6045|237 lbs|5SR Virginia Beach, VA (Bayside HS) 3/19/1990 (age 23) #3

PROJECTION: 4th-5th Round

MEASUREABLES: 6045 | 237 | 35” | 10 3-8" | 83 1-8”

PRO DAY: 4.65 40-YD DASH | 1.67 10-YD | 34” V | 9-10 BJ | 7.08 3C | 4.21 SS

STRENGTHS: Good-sized athlete with long-striding speed and quick feet...effortless thrower with all the arm strength you need...fluid hips and can pick up chunks of yards with his legs or elude pressure...improved decisions to find the correct read and put extra juice on his passes...keeps eyes downfield and looks in control of the offense...gains confidence with positive plays...nice job on ball fakes with experience on zone-read and option plays...high completion percentage with good numbers. WEAKNESSES: Doesn’t panic in the pocket, but holds the ball too long and struggles to feel pressure...below average footwork in the pocket...hesitant to unleash his arm or pull the trigger, leading to a lot of head-scratching decisions or check down screens... questionable field vision and anticipation, struggling to recognize what the defense is doing...streaky touch to throws at all levels and the accuracy plummets without a clean pocket...inconsistent execution and production on the big stage.

SUMMARY: A talented passer who improved his leadership and command as a senior, but benefited from a lot of easy reads and basic throws...too many examples of “what did he see?” questions as he often ignored safety help, making puzzling decisions downfield...galloping athlete with the quickness to make plays with his feet, but poor pocket presence...will be over-drafted because he has NFL size, speed and arm strength, but there are strong concerns if the mental side will ever catch up.

2012: (14/14) 2011: (12/11) 2010: (10/2) 2009: (7/4) 2008: Redshirted

68.0/3,397/23/10 65.3/2,666/18/8 69.9/861/4/4 65.1/817/2/6

Also, after watching him on the Gruden spot on ESPN, he came off as likeable and pretty sharp.  The guy got a 28 on the Wonderlic which is 4 points better than average.  A lot of the complaints or shortcomings people have for Manuel are things we saw from Donovan McNabb for his entire career and he made it to a Super Bowl.

Also, after watching him on the Gruden spot on ESPN, he came off as likeable and pretty sharp.  The guy got a 28 on the Wonderlic which is 4 points better than average.  A lot of the complaints or shortcomings people have for Manuel are things we saw from Donovan McNabb for his entire career and he made it to a Super Bowl.

Show off --  a solid 10-14 score is more than enough.

Intelligence tests are not really good barometers for "pocket" intelligence. They are two different things, entirely. It's like trying to use "Where's Waldo" to see if a QB can find the open receiver.

Intelligence tests are not really good barometers for "pocket" intelligence. They are two different things, entirely. It's like trying to use "Where's Waldo" to see if a QB can find the open receiver.

Yeah, but if the guy pulled a 7 we would all hear about how stupid he is in the pocket.

I know we have a POTW, but this should be SOTW (sentence of the week). 

Lulz

Archived