Trade the #9, please.

Integrity28

The Jets are in serious need of quantity as well as quality in this draft. Their starters suck, and the team lacks depth. They need bodies at virtually every position. In a draft that has a lot of meat to it in the 20-45 range, trading down and getting multiple picks there is optimal. 

Now, they shouldn't make any move until they're on the clock. A guy like Dion Jordan slips to #9, you want to be there to take him. But on the other hand, if you don't see a huge difference between Tavon Austin and the third "best" WR in the draft, believe you can get a starting guard in the 3rd or later, would be just as happy to draft Ertz as Eifert, etc., then you make that move down and get a couple guys (or more) instead of just one. That's just good business. 

A move like getting the 49ers' #31 & #34 could put them in a position to take a QB, too, which is pretty intriguing. Don't expect them to reach for one at #9 or #13, and by the time their second rounder comes along, the a few QBs could be off the board. 

I like the idea of them trading back multiple times in this draft, and maybe trying to trade a second this year for a first next year - especially if they don't get a QB in this draft. 

i agree if the guys they like are gone.

I really dont want mingo or austin at 9 or 13. But those guys I listed above are some of the top rated players in this entire draft.

dion, milliner, and star. Vaccaro at 13 if hes there. Could make an immeddiete impact on the team

I just want someone really good that every time we play someone they have to focus on them. And or gameplan around them.

edit: Also keep in mind Schefter reported on our pick situation for next year. He says as of right now we are in comp pick heaven and that we should have a huge amount of picks in next years draft and a lot of free cap space

impact is different then safe and impactful no one is rating lacy as one of the best players in the draft. the guys im listing have been

I want for once some of the best players in the draft. The best saftey or tight end not the second best.

say we get like the 31st pick and keep 13 or whatever pick you want. What are some players you would draft?

I already posted a scenario that answers this.

13 - Cooper (arguably the best OG in the draft)

31 - Hayden (I've read he's the best man-coverage CB)

34 - Ertz (2nd best TE)

39 - Margus Hunt 

I could also see us doing this, based on the premise of trading back and taking advantage of this draft's depth at WR, S, TE and OG:

13 - Jarvis Jones (because picking 9th and 13th doesn't get you the best OLB, it gets you a guy that might be second best)

31 - Justin Hunter (WR)

34 - Ertz (TE)

39 - Warford (OG)

i agree if the guys they like are gone.

I really dont want mingo or austin at 9 or 13. But those guys I listed above are some of the top rated players in this entire draft.

dion, milliner, and star. Vaccaro at 13 if hes there. Could make an immeddiete impact on the team

I just want someone really good that every time we play someone they have to focus on them. And or gameplan around them.

edit: Also keep in mind Schefter reported on our pick situation for next year. He says as of right now we are in comp pick heaven and that we should have a huge amount of picks in next years draft and a lot of free cap space

Comp picks cannot be traded, but yeah, we're going to have a lot of them next year.

Having all those comp picks actually frees us up to trade some of our other picks if we decide to get that #1 overall. We'd only have to move up about 1 spot... LOL

The Jets are in serious need of quantity as well as quality in this draft. Their starters suck, and the team lacks depth. They need bodies at virtually every position. In a draft that has a lot of meat to it in the 20-45 range, trading down and getting multiple picks there is optimal. 

Now, they shouldn't make any move until they're on the clock. A guy like Dion Jordan slips to #9, you want to be there to take him. But on the other hand, if you don't see a huge difference between Tavon Austin and the third "best" WR in the draft, believe you can get a starting guard in the 3rd or later, would be just as happy to draft Ertz as Eifert, etc., then you make that move down and get a couple guys (or more) instead of just one. That's just good business. 

A move like getting the 49ers' #31 & #34 could put them in a position to take a QB, too, which is pretty intriguing. Don't expect them to reach for one at #9 or #13, and by the time their second rounder comes along, the a few QBs could be off the board. 

I like the idea of them trading back multiple times in this draft, and maybe trying to trade a second this year for a first next year - especially if they don't get a QB in this draft. 

Absolute given that the trade only happens when you are on the clock.

I already posted a scenario that answers this.

13 - Cooper (arguably the best OG in the draft)

31 - Hayden (I've read he's the best man-coverage CB)

34 - Ertz (2nd best TE)

39 - Margus Hunt 

I could also see us doing this, based on the premise of trading back and taking advantage of this draft's depth at WR, S, TE and OG:

13 - Jarvis Jones (because picking 9th and 13th doesn't get you the best OLB, it gets you a guy that might be second best)

31 - Justin Hunter (WR)

34 - Ertz (TE)

39 - Warford (OG)

I dig the first scenario more then your second

but ive also heard wilson was one of the best cover guys in the draft

We arnt gonna have a game changing sack guy tho

more is not necessarily better. if the jets are gonna find good players 9 and 13 are two good places to start looking. trading down for late 1/early 2 is fun on paper but they need top talent. Stick and pick. 

With that logic we should keep trading up round after round because quality is better than quantity.  Any team not trading up from every one of their picks is foolish.  If it's always smart to stick and pick, then it's always dumb to not trade up.  Unless you think there is something magical about picks #9 and #13 where above them is the same level player but below them is noticeably worse, which I don't believe.

Trade down.  If this is truly a mediocre first round (a couple of OGs notwithstanding) then a team with as many holes as we do should be just as happy with one of them as with another.  A team with only a few holes would want to trade up because not all of the evenly-ranked players fills a need for them. 

We have nothing BUT needs (except on the DL, LT, C, and slot receiver) so it's hard to find someone we couldn't use badly.  Austin is a great talent, and I wouldn't pass up on him just because we have a pretty good slot receiver already, but if the trade down is juicy a team in our situation has no business passing up on two first round picks so we can grab him.

And the truth is while I'd love to pick him up he probably is little bit a reach just because of the weakness at the top of this WR class and the high profile of the position.  A different year with some really highly rated 6'2-6'4" WR prospects and he'd go in the top 15 picks of round 2 not the top 15 picks of round 1.  Two equally ranked players (even at other positions) will serve this team better than one slot receiver, dynamic as he seems.  

I don't know.  Then I go back & forth with it, with how huge Victor Cruz was for the Giants.  Yes they have a real QB but after watching the Sanchez fiasco these past 4 years and counting, I don't think it's such a super idea to draft a QB while we have nothing except a speedy but soft TE, and then pick up a WR here or there over the next couple of seasons.  Meanwhile he's terrible to begin with AND has limited options to throw to.  I don't know that Sanchez was ever going to be a decent QB no matter what, but even I'll concede the way he came in with mostly weak and/or scumbag WRs didn't help any. 

I don't know.  My gut says we need upgrades at over a dozen positions, and unless we want to take 3 seasons to fill those holes we need more picks.  The way to get more picks is to trade down.  As long as we don't get ripped off Parcells-style and get a 3rd rounder and a bunch of late rounders dropping a couple of times from #1 to #8, we'll get good value.  Fatso needed to get another #1 pick at least moving from #1 to #6, not the 6th pick in rounds 3 and 4 or whatever it was.  I know you bring it up from time to time, but no one gets gypped like that anymore anyway.  

If we had the #31 and #34 picks would you advocate only taking one of them to move up to #13? A stacked team like SF can do that. We f*cking suck and aren't trying to fill one specific need the way a superbowl team is.  And if they swing and miss it's not a big deal.  We need a playmaker on offense badly, but if we swing and miss after passing up on 2 (possibly safer) picks and it could set us back a whole year.

We need skill more than we need speed. But speed would be good too. :)

I'm thinkin they go OLB and austin

one rumor mill has the jets taking eifert and austin that would be ok, but either guy at 9 is a reach.  I like OLB better at 9 but would still trade out and take a guy at 13

some hacks are deperately trying to find a way the jets take a QB and corner.  lol

my basic thought is we have 4 former first rounders on the lines, lets get some speed on this roster, and wait until next year for the QB, but taking a back up typeQB in the 3rd would be cool

With that logic we should keep trading up round after round because quality is better than quantity.  Any team not trading up from every one of their picks is foolish.  If it's always smart to stick and pick, then it's always dumb to not trade up.  Unless you think there is something magical about picks #9 and #13 where above them is the same level player but below them is noticeably worse, which I don't believe.

Trade down.  If this is truly a mediocre first round (a couple of OGs notwithstanding) then a team with as many holes as we do should be just as happy with one of them as with another.  A team with only a few holes would want to trade up because not all of the evenly-ranked players fills a need for them. 

We have nothing BUT needs (except on the DL, LT, C, and slot receiver) so it's hard to find someone we couldn't use badly.  Austin is a great talent, and I wouldn't pass up on him just because we have a pretty good slot receiver already, but if the trade down is juicy a team in our situation has no business passing up on two first round picks so we can grab him.

And the truth is while I'd love to pick him up he probably is little bit a reach just because of the weakness at the top of this WR class and the high profile of the position.  A different year with some really highly rated 6'2-6'4" WR prospects and he'd go in the top 15 picks of round 2 not the top 15 picks of round 1.  Two equally ranked players (even at other positions) will serve this team better than one slot receiver, dynamic as he seems.  

I don't know.  Then I go back & forth with it, with how huge Victor Cruz was for the Giants.  Yes they have a real QB but after watching the Sanchez fiasco these past 4 years and counting, I don't think it's such a super idea to draft a QB while we have nothing except a speedy but soft TE, and then pick up a WR here or there over the next couple of seasons.  Meanwhile he's terrible to begin with AND has limited options to throw to.  I don't know that Sanchez was ever going to be a decent QB no matter what, but even I'll concede the way he came in with mostly weak and/or scumbag WRs didn't help any. 

I don't know.  My gut says we need upgrades at over a dozen positions, and unless we want to take 3 seasons to fill those holes we need more picks.  The way to get more picks is to trade down.  As long as we don't get ripped off Parcells-style and get a 3rd rounder and a bunch of late rounders dropping a couple of times from #1 to #8, we'll get good value.  Fatso needed to get another #1 pick at least moving from #1 to #6, not the 6th pick in rounds 3 and 4 or whatever it was.  I know you bring it up from time to time, but no one gets gypped like that anymore anyway.  

If we had the #31 and #34 picks would you advocate only taking one of them to move up to #13? A stacked team like SF can do that. We f*cking suck and aren't trying to fill one specific need the way a superbowl team is.  And if they swing and miss it's not a big deal.  We need a playmaker on offense badly, but if we swing and miss after passing up on 2 (possibly safer) picks and it could set us back a whole year.

I just looked at that 1997 draft.  oh the horrors !!!    from the #1 pick to only 3 picks in the top 88, including thier own.  epic fail

devils advocate here.  (I also prefer to trade down and think the trading up cost tanny his job because there was no depth.)

but what if fatty just took pace ?  5 time all pro, something like 9 feet tall and 500 lbs

one rumor mill has the jets taking eifert and austin that would be ok, but either guy at 9 is a reach.  I like OLB better at 9 but would still trade out and take a guy at 13

some hacks are deperately trying to find a way the jets take a QB and corner.  lol

my basic thought is we have 4 former first rounders on the lines, lets get some speed on this roster, and wait until next year for the QB, but taking a back up typeQB in the 3rd would be cool

I'm thinking they take the pass rusher at #9, then really work to trade out of #13.

If the idea is to have Garrard be our starter, then the right thing to do is take a developmental QB in the mid-rounds. 

The first 2 rounds should be devoted to addressing starting positions. This draft has start-ready players at OG, TE, S, CB, OLB available in the top 40 picks. Potentially WR too. Those are the positions we need to draft.

If the idea is to have Garrard be our starter, then the right thing to do is take a developmental QB in the mid-rounds. 

The first 2 rounds should be devoted to addressing starting positions. This draft has start-ready players at OG, TE, S, CB, OLB available in the top 40 picks. Potentially WR too. Those are the positions we need to draft.

of that list, I would love to see OLB, TE then OG, but I don't think we can count on anything from holmes, so a WR is on my list as well

I'm thinking they take the pass rusher at #9, then really work to trade out of #13.

that would work for me.  the WR's seem to be going late first early second.  I'd like to grab one

that would work for me.  the WR's seem to be going late first early second.  I'd like to grab one

That's where the QBs will be, and I've seen more rumors linking the Jets to Ertz than Eifert.

That's where the QBs will be, and I've seen more rumors linking the Jets to Ertz than Eifert.

I like Ertz -- he is a superior receiver but still a decent enough blocker.  That is exactly where the TE position is at these days.  If things play true to projections, he could be drafted with a lower pick and fall into the Jets' lap if they trade down with one of the picks.  

This whole draft feels like a fantasy football draft. There are no sure fire prospects - but there are a bunch of guys who excite you. The run on a position has a chance to happen right at the beginning of the draft, rather then in the second round like most drafts. In the top 10 there could be a run on OT, OLB, NT, or even QB. A run at WR could start as early as 4 with Phili. Should be one of the most interesting drafts in a long time.

sal p just reported on espn that he spoke it idzik.....

1) the phone is ringing off the hook to trade down.  true or not, always good to create the perception of competition

2) need will not dictate pick.  they are going BPA.  true or not, I like the stratgey

you can't believe anything they say day before draft, but I think he is playing his cards just right

"if you want the pick, you better up the offer, and don't try to predict who we are taking based on our current roster, it may be the guy you like"

sal p just reported on espn that he spoke it idzik.....

1) the phone is ringing off the hook to trade down.  true or not, always good to create the perception of competition

2) need will not dictate pick.  they are going BPA.  true or not, I like the stratgey

you can't believe anything they say day before draft, but I think he is playing his cards just right

"if you want the pick, you better up the offer, and don't try to predict who we are taking based on our current roster, it may be the guy you like"

I like the sound of this a lot, too. The phone ringing off the hook might be BS, but I hope the BAP strategy isn't. 

I like the sound of this a lot, too. The phone ringing off the hook might be BS, but I hope the BAP strategy isn't. 

Yup.

When you could use 8-10 new players/starters, how could you not go BPA! LOL

No way a guard or TE is the BAP at #9. 

What do you mean BAP then?

Highest rated players by scouts are gaurds and stuff this year. Just that kinda year lol

I've read the same, that the guards are being talked about in the top 15 because they are graded out the highest. If they were any other position with their grades they'd be top 5 or something like that... 

I've read the same, that the guards are being talked about in the top 15 because they are graded out the highest. If they were any other position with their grades they'd be top 5 or something like that... 

gonna be such a weird draft comparing it to last years.

Mike mayocks draft that just came out is kinda interesting

Archived