Dee Milliner: Sports Science.

Villain The Foe

Lol. Come on. The guy missed an entire season due to an injury anybody can get.    So if Milliner gets injured in game 1 and missed the entire season, "oh great we got a rookie who is always injured."       It's one thing if Revis is missing a game here, a game there with nagging injuries.   The guy had an ACL tear early in the season.       He missed 14 games last year due to an injury.  This is why numbers can be misleading. 

I don't see Milliner as some injury prone player.  It should be a worry that he had all these surgeries in college though.   A 20 year old kid bounces back far quicker than some banged up NFL 25 year old.     

Revis had hamstring issues too.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Point - Kyle Wilson chortles on moose cock. He's a half decent tackler but that's it. He'll even hurt us as a nickle or dime. He's not going to get any better.

:( I know. I said it like half a dozen times since last night. Basically, I just wanted one of our picks to be an offensive one. Milliner came up, and I tried to rationalize why we didn't need him. I prefer the Milliner pick to the Richardson one for sure though.

Last time Jets tried to negotiate a deal, he didn't seem to love the place and signed a deal that paid him $42mil over the first 3 years. Revis is the last guy that would take hometown discount. Thats almost as true as a fact. He was not going to sign for anything less than $15-16mil a yr.

But we'll never know. Again, make the man an offer. Thats my only point on that.

But we'll never know. Again, make the man an offer. Thats my only point on that.

Of course we do. He took nothing less than his asking price of $16mil from the only team interested in paying him, and already know he's not a hometown discount type of guy with his no-franchise tag clause deals (twice).

True.  I am not discounting the number of injuries, but it's not like he's had 5 surgeries to the same body part or shows chronic injury to the same body part.  

(1) He had a knee scoped once -- this is pretty much SOP for high level athletes these days. 

(2) Sports hernia -- as common as it gets in pro sports.

(3) Stress facture in his tibia.  Surgery is not usually necessary but is commonly conducted at the pro level to make sure it does not re-occur.  This involves putting a pin or nail in the bone, which virtually guarantees the injury will not happen again.

(4) The most recent injury was a small labra tear (right shoulder).  The reason for his not being ready to practice now is because he delayed surgery so he could participate in the Combine.  Surgery appears to be completely successful but rehab activity has been limited due to a busy pre-draft schedule.   

(5) He had previous surgery to his other shoulder.  I did not see any specifics, so I am going to assume it was minor.

Again, I am not ignoring the number of procedures, but he seems more dinged than damaged and it does not keep him off the field or effect his level of play.  So, I don't have a problem with the pick now that I have reconciled the fact that they went CB with the first pick.

This is exactly the same thing that happened to Adrian Peterson. The kid was my favorite non-LSU player in college football that year and as such I watched him every chance I could.  He was clearly regarded as the best RB prospect in football and by some the best prospect period, however just like Millinier, concerns surfaced around draft time of him being injury prone.  He sustained a dislocated shoulder injury his freshman year, high ankle sprain his sophomore year and a dislocated shoulder his junior year; just like Milliner, none of these injuries are chronic or should lead one to believe they will be a recurring issues.  They both were high-end prospects (Milliner not on ADs level however) who happened to have multiple, unrelated injuries.  Yes, Milliner had more of them and more surgeries for them, but unlike AD, Milliner never missed a game.  

This actually isn't even correct.  Revis was hurt in week 1 last season, missed a game, came back and then got hurt again, which is when he was knocked out for the season.  He missed games in 2010 as well.  So that would be three injuries significant enough to cost him games in the past 3 seasons.  Meaning, even if you completely discount the ACL tear (which I have no idea why you would, since it could easily be a future issue for him), Revis has still missed far more time with injury.  I'm also pretty sure that pretty much any injury is "an injury anybody can get", so I'm not sure what you think that proves.

How many games did Revis miss in college?   This kid is young,  already has a shoulder injury he's recovering from.  Some people think he won't be ready for training camp.   That's a risk.

This is exactly the same thing that happened to Adrian Peterson. The kid was my favorite non-LSU player in college football that year and as such I watched him every chance I could.  He was clearly regarded as the best RB prospect in football and by some the best prospect period, however just like Millinier, concerns surfaced around draft time of him being injury prone.  He sustained a dislocated shoulder injury his freshman year, high ankle sprain his sophomore year and a dislocated shoulder his junior year; just like Milliner, none of these injuries are chronic or should lead one to believe they will be a recurring issues.  They both were high-end prospects (Milliner not on ADs level however) who happened to have multiple, unrelated injuries.  Yes, Milliner had more of them and more surgeries for them, but unlike AD, Milliner never missed a game.  

AP is a HOF type RB, he was a heisman type of RB and everybody knew that. Are there injury concerns? Of course.  Considering he had to come back from an ACL injury like nobody ever came back before, says it's a valid concern.    Nobody is even calling Milliner as good as Revis at this point.  I'm not that worried about the kids injuries, but it's always a risk when a kid is recovering from injuries before he even starts his NFL career.

It's funny people are concerned Revis might not be Revis or recover,  yet this guy is recovering from a shoulder surgery, who knows if it will mean anything or not. But it could.

How many games did Revis miss in college?   This kid is young,  already has a shoulder injury he's recovering from.  Some people think he won't be ready for training camp.   That's a risk.

What possible relevance does Revis' college career have to do with anything?  He's been injured numerous times since then and that is what is relevant.  Some people also think Revis won't be ready for training camp, is that not also a risk?  Especially when you consider that a knee injury would seem to be a tad bit more of an issue for someone playing CB than a shoulder injury would be.  Particularly when you're talking about paying the one with the knee injury $16 million / year.

Keep in mind, I never said Milliner was not a health risk, I simply said it's completely contradictory to say how outrageous it is to spend a first round pick on a player because of his health when he hasn't missed a single game with injury, while at the same time throwing a fit about how the Jets didn't commit 15%+ of their cap space to a player at the same position who has missed 17 games with 3 different injuries over the past 3 years.

AP is a HOF type RB, he was a heisman type of RB and everybody knew that. Are there injury concerns? Of course.  Considering he had to come back from an ACL injury like nobody ever came back before, says it's a valid concern.    Nobody is even calling Milliner as good as Revis at this point.  I'm not that worried about the kids injuries, but it's always a risk when a kid is recovering from injuries before he even starts his NFL career.

It's funny people are concerned Revis might not be Revis or recover,  yet this guy is recovering from a shoulder surgery, who knows if it will mean anything or not. But it could.

The fact that you're trying to compare the potential impact of a knee injury (which cost the player 13 games) and a shoulder injury (which cost the player 0 games) for a freakin' cornerback is really kind of ridiculous.  If you think the Jets should have kept Revis and paid him whatever he wanted then so be it, but you're really grasping at straws with this one.

Firstly, comparing a shoulder surgery of which he played through and worked out at the combine in to a season ending ACL injury is comical. 

Secondly, AD is a HOF RB now, however if you followed the draft back then, there were concerns of his durability, which surfaced months before the last week before the draft.  If teams knew what they know now, he would have leapfrogged, Russell, Gaines Adams RIP, Laron Landry, Levi Brown and possibly Joe Thomas. The only one who has a legit argument to go ahead would be Calvin Johnson.  Whether you want to admit it or not, his injury concerns were something that were talked about regularly and when he was drafted, it was noted that Minnesota felt they were unrelated and non-chronic injuries, the same as I'm sure we did in regards to Milliner.

Firstly, comparing a shoulder surgery of which he played through and worked out at the combine in to a season ending ACL injury is comical. 

Secondly, AD is a HOF RB now, however if you followed the draft back then, there were concerns of his durability, which surfaced months before the last week before the draft.  If teams knew what they know now, he would have leapfrogged, Russell, Gaines Adams RIP, Laron Landry, Levi Brown and possibly Joe Thomas. The only one who has a legit argument to go ahead would be Calvin Johnson.  Whether you want to admit it or not, his injury concerns were something that were talked about regularly and when he was drafted, it was noted that Minnesota felt they were unrelated and non-chronic injuries, the same as I'm sure we did in regards to Milliner.

The difference is AP had injury concerns, but everybody knew the guy was a potential HOF RB.  The guy was a heisman candidate.   Millinier is just a guy who people think is the best CB in this years draft. Nobody is making claims he'll be the next Revis.  Huge difference.   You take a risk in picking a guy like AP due to injuries, but if he stays healthy, you knew you were getting a guy who would be a HOF type RB.    Picking Millinier, you don't know if he'll be Kyle Wilson or Revis.  

The difference is AP had injury concerns, but everybody knew the guy was a potential HOF RB.  The guy was a heisman candidate.   Millinier is just a guy who people think is the best CB in this years draft. Nobody is making claims he'll be the next Revis.  Huge difference.   You take a risk in picking a guy like AP due to injuries, but if he stays healthy, you knew you were getting a guy who would be a HOF type RB.    Picking Millinier, you don't know if he'll be Kyle Wilson or Revis.  

As per the OP, he has freakish athleticism that points more towards Revis than Kyle Wilson.  Wilson was never given the kind of grading that Milliner has received, even if he WAS considered one of the best corners of THAT draft. 

Also, I find it hard to believe people were projecting AP as a Hall-of-Famer.  A stud, sure, but no one can project out that far.  Saying "everyone knew AP was a future all-time great if healthy" is hindsighting it.

Nobody was claiming Revis to be Revis either.  Hell, when the Jets moved up for Revis, it was questioned why they didn't stay put, since it was considered such a supposedly CB-heavy draft and how they could have not given anything up and gotten someone like Aaron Ross if they stayed put.  Well, we saw how that all worked out, didn't we?

I would have taken Patterson at 13 and Vaccaro at 9 these two are the best at their position and its a need. Its not a reach if they are rated first at their position with all other targets have been drafted. This would allow us to still take Ertz in the second.

I could understand Vaccaro though this draft seems to be deep with Safety talent. As for Patterson, his rating is not based on him being rated "the best" of all the wideouts...he wasnt even the #1 WR on Tennessee so that cant be true. His upside is freakish which imo the Jets shouldnt be gambling on right now.

If Patterson pans out then people could easily say "told you", but honestly, the guy is a project which we already have one in Hill. There are WR's in the draft that are better than Patterson right now, may not have the upside, but as of right now they are a better quality WR.

We did not trade Revis for Milliner. We picked Milliner with our original pick and he was the best player on the board. Milliner is not here to replace Revis. No one can replace  Revis. He's just here to play as well as he can give us an upgrade at CB over Kyle Wilson.

As mentioned, we drafted Richardson and a future 3rd rounder to replace Revis, on top of roughly 40 million dollars in cap space over the next three years.  I love Revis as much as the next guy (or gal), but for a team "rebuilding" Richardson, that draft pick and 40 million in cap space is more likely than not going to have a bigger effect on this team than one elite corner, no matter how good he was or is.

Dudes I know that, the Revis Pick ... wasn't Milliner I just meant in essence. I don't think we should have addressed CB with our first round picks .... And us giving Revis and then picking up another kid to fill that CB spot ... I just don't like it our O dept needs serious fine tuning that should have been addressed first IMO 

Archived