Damien Woody on Jets Draft

j4jets

He was on ESPN radio on "The Herd" with Collin Cowherd this morning and here is what he basically said (paraphrasing):

"Ideally, I wanted the Jets to get a Guard, and a TE with their first two picks. They way the draft unfolded, nobody expected Dee Milliner to drop to them. Let me tell you, Dee Milliner was THE best corner of the draft and he will be a lockdown corner for years to come. He may not be as good as Revis, but Cro already has taken Revis' spot, so Dee Milliner will be replacing Kyle Wilson who will move inside.

Then the DT pick, Richardson is a big body that was the best pass rushing DT of the draft. He can push the pile and guess who plays the Jets twice a year? Brady. Guess what he loves to do? He loves to step in to his throws. With Richardson joining Coples and Mohammed Wilkerson, this group will move the pocket and force Brady not to step in to his throws. These two players were the two best players at their positions."

On whether if the Jets will draft a defender early today or not (word to word, I recorded this part):

"They could go defense, but I expect them to go offense. I expect them to go outside the football, cuz, look, you have to be able to score points to win football games so I totally expect them to go offense today."

His Twitter feed:

Ppl talking about Jets not picking offensive skill players in first round....no coincidence that not many skill guys were picked in first round. 

So the #Giants stocking up on DL is genius but the #Jets do it & it's terrible?!?!

I actually like both Jets picks....getting the top corner & a pass-rushing DT is big time. Plenty of offense talent out there for the taking

The more I think about it the smarter these picks were! I have heard quotes like this throughout the day and its nice to hear for once about this team. I thought they dropped the ball but it might be because I'm not used to them making smart decisions.

The more I think about it the smarter these picks were! I have heard quotes like this throughout the day and its nice to hear for once about this team. I thought they dropped the ball but it might be because I'm not used to them making smart decisions.

They've been taking defensive players for years, not sure how this is any different.     If Kyle Wilson didn't suck, people would think that was a great smart decision.

They've been taking defensive players for years, not sure how this is any different.     If Kyle Wilson didn't suck, people would think that was a great smart decision.

It is different because this year the Jets didnt deviate from their board. They went BAP. This is the method that teams who know how to build the right way use (Steelers, Giants, etc.)

So sick of hearing about Wilson sucking...he was a third round pick! He's been fine. 3rd round picks are not busts..enough already.

Not to mention that it is different because this year the Jets didnt deviate from their board. They went BAP. This is the method that teams who know how to build the right way use (Steelers, Giants, etc.)

What? He was a first rounder picked 29th overall, two picks after "All-World" Devin McCourty.

What? He was a first rounder picked 29th overall, two picks after "All-World" Devin McCourty.

You're right. My bad man.

Either way...its all the more reason to pick Milliner. I don't think Wilson can hold his own on one side of the field.

Wilk Richardson Garay and Coples will collapse pockets...

Not to mention the fact that their push will open things up and make blitzes much more effective.  I actually like the picks now that the pros and cons have sunk in.

KYLE WILSON WAS A 1st ROUND pick...and yes he is starting to ripen into a BUST...not a good CB...maybe a serviceable nickleback but not a #1 or #2 CB.

To paraphrase Woody Allen, he's already gone from mellow, to ripe, to rotting.

KYLE WILSON WAS A 1st ROUND pick...and yes he is starting to ripen into a BUST...not a good CB...maybe a serviceable nickleback but not a #1 or #2 CB.

I wouldn't go as far as calling him a bust, but he can be a very good nickel back. His every mistake was targeted last year, yet he held the fort pretty good. However, I still think his best suited spot is the nickel.

You're right. My bad man.

Either way...its all the more reason to pick Milliner. I don't think Wilson can hold his own on one side of the field.

I agree with you somewhat. See my post above.

An ex-Jet not sh*tting all over the organisation?

Must be fake.

Yeah.  I heard he hated the Jets or something.

Played 5 years for NE (and got 2 rings with them), 4 years for Detroit, and 3 years for the Jets who cut him for cap reasons.  And yet it's the Jets he's all about.  Love this guy.

Yeah.  I heard he hated the Jets or something.

Played 5 years for NE (and got 2 rings with them), 4 years for Detroit, and 3 years for the Jets who cut him for cap reasons.  And yet it's the Jets he's all about.  Love this guy.

I love the guy too. He's always been a pro-Jet guy. I would like to add, Jets didn't cut him just for cap. He was done as a player and that was evident by him retiring and not sh*tting on our team. In fact, he has defended this team like a true Jet fan.

100 percent on point. Hey I would have taken Warmack and Eifert. But the Jets now have the best DL in football and possibly the best CB tandem once again with an extra $13M to throw around for FAs next year.

Let's take it easy declaring it the "best line in football".  And while I'm slightly less depressed about the choices made last night, I still think we could have gotten batter value if we went maybe Floyd/Star at #9 and then Jarvis Jones at #13.  Doing it that way you sure up the D-Line still while adding an impact rusher, something we haven't had since Abraham.

I really hope they pick up QB Landry Jones in the 2nd or 3rd round.  He's my sleeper and would be better than ALL the QB's on the Jets current roster. 

I would much rather see them take Glennon in the same area (Late 2nd -Early 4th).  But either way they need to grab at least one QB.  MOre importantly though they need to get Ertz in the second round. 

what about the tight end from UF...he any good?

He's not an inline TE.  He's definitely more the Joker mold, kind of like Hernandez. 

Dude is uber talented.  Played some QB for us his freshman year.

He could make a team very happy.

I love the guy too. He's always been a pro-Jet guy. I would like to add, Jets didn't cut him just for cap. He was done as a player and that was evident by him retiring and not sh*tting on our team. In fact, he has defended this team like a true Jet fan.

A couple of people here - during a routine Jets conspiracy bashing - said that he hated the Jets because they cut him and then they didn't say they wanted to re-sign him. 

As I recall the dollars & cap stuff wasn't insignificant what with the lockout & the new CBA yet to be ironed out & that whole mess.  But it's a little hazy.  Anyway it's not like we upgraded with Hunter.

Regardless, I love seeing him talk Jets.  Just something about the guy I like.

A couple of people here - during a routine Jets conspiracy bashing - said that he hated the Jets because they cut him and then they didn't say they wanted to re-sign him. 

As I recall the dollars & cap stuff wasn't insignificant what with the lockout & the new CBA yet to be ironed out & that whole mess.  But it's a little hazy.  Anyway it's not like we upgraded with Hunter.

Regardless, I love seeing him talk Jets.  Just something about the guy I like.

He was bashing the Jets pretty good.  That might mean that we should take this with a grain of salt because it could be "anybody but Tannenbaum."  OTOH, he was right about the direction the last couple of years, so maybe he is right about this. 

Archived