NFL Draft 2013: Tharold Simon arrested on draft night

RSJ

NFL Draft 2013: Tharold Simon arrested on draft night

By Rodger Sherman

SBNation.com

Tharold Simon's draft weekend hasn't gone as planned: the LSU cornerback expected to be selected in the 2013 NFL Draft was arrested in his hometown of Eunice, Louisiana Thursday night after an incident with a police officer.

Per a police report, Simon allegedly refused to move his car for a police officer, turning his radio all the way up and telling the officer that he would be fired if he tried to write a ticket for Simon:

According to the report, Simon told the officer, "I own Eunice," and "I'm gonna buy these projects and you are gonna be mine."

That earned him charges of public intimidation, resisting an officer, and unnecessary noise violation. Simon had been suspended a game in 2011 for failing a drug test. It doesn't sound as if Simon did anything particularly egregious Thursday night, but it probably wasn't the smartest move considering this is the weekend NFL teams are actively deliberating on whether to select him. The town of 10,000 about 90 miles from Baton Rouge still plans to hold a ceremony for Simon Friday night.

Simon started for the first time as a junior in 2012, intercepting four passes with 13 pass breakups for a defense that finished 12th in the nation in points allowed. He declared for the draft early, a somewhat surprising decision considering he's expected to be a fourth- or fifth-rounder.

Awesome.

Archived