Rallying around Geno Smith

T0mShane

I'm looking forward to the end of the "coddling culture" we've had the past 4 years. I don't see the Jets wasting any draft picks, not even 7th rounders, to bring in Geno's old roommates to make him "more comfortable".

Sanchez pussified this franchise. Rex, for all his bravado, facilitated it in an almost oblivious way. 

Glad it's over. 

OK, they drafted him. Now, the fun part: cultivating and developing him. Here's what I want to see--

1. DRAFT HIM A TE: Young QBs need reliable underneath receivers to throw to. Security blankets. You can't ask him to whip the ball downfield at first.

2. Sign or trade for a veteran WR: Dudes will fall off rosters in camps as they're replaced by drafted receivers. Get one or two of them--the Braylons and Nate Washingtons of the world. Dudes who will be where they're supposed to be.

3. SEND SANTONIO HOLMES HOME: Do not let him in the huddle with Smith, do not let him talk to Smith, don't let him tweet Smith. Holmes is a cancer and QB killer.

4. WEIGH TRADING SANCHEZ: Sanchez will be an absolute pussy about Smith's presence and will make life hell in the locker room. You'd be much better off with a QB room of Smith-Garrard-Tebow anyway--two solid vets who can teach, assuming Garrard isn't butthurt.

5. DO NOT HAND HIM THE STARTING JOB!!!!!:

Most important of all. Jets fans will want blood early in the season, and the team will suck hard no matter who is playing QB. Don't let Smith bear the brunt of the Boo Festival that will greet the team early on. Rex has to wait for the soft five game stretch at the end of the season to start Smith. Let him come in as the conquering hero after the team has taken its lumps through the first 2/3rds of the year. Let Garrard and Tebow play, suck, then get replaced.

Solid post. While I agree with everything mentioned, I don't actually believe they will all happen.  Of the five points you bring up, I have a feeling 2, 4 and 5 have the most likelihood and 1 is kind of unfair seeing as how we only have our 5th - 7th picks left.  

If I'm Idzik, I dump Sanchez immediately as for whatever reason there are plenty of people in the locker-room that like him and that's the last thing we need is a quarter of the team hating on the kid before he even gets a snap.  Let them compete, where a healthy Garrard will play out the year and hopefully keep us competitive throughout the majority of the year so as to at least make games on sundays worth waking up for.  When we are mathematically eliminated, if Geno hasn't already earned the job, let him start from there on out to see what we have.  We'll then have all 7 of our picks, the 3rd from TB and the 3 or 4 compensatory picks and something like 35+ million in cap space.  If Geno truly is the real deal, we will actually be in pretty damned good position to build a team and surround him with talent.  

If Idzik hits on this kid, and I hate drinking the koolaide and saying this, but we could be looking at a long window of being a contender.

This is the challenge, and why bringing Rex back is tough. If we assume Rex is in an audition year, how does that influence the way he handles his QBs? Does he throw Smith out there in the hope that he becomes Russell Wilson right away? Or does he force-feed Garrard onto the field, looking to eke out 7 wins? I hate the idea of asking Rex to make calls that affect the development of another QB, and I hope Idzik finds a way to bring Rex to heel before he ruins Smith.

Anyone else notice Shane just made both starting him and sitting him the wrong options for Ryan already? Lol. 

Start him week 1. Use the fact that you drafted him in the 2nd to your advantage. He's not a huge investment.

If he busts, he busts and we'll have a high pick and better QB class to find the answer. If he holds his own, if he plays relatively well, you build around him.

I love that was landed him without using a 1st rounder. 

I honestly loved him early last year.  He was the Heisman winner at that point.  And the they lost.  And then he started to look bad at times. He was never Sanchez bad, but he was not that impressive at times.    So it went from "this guy is the heisman winner' to this guy doesn't look like a good QB.    Who knows how he'll turn out.  It really depends on how the Jets develop him.   As bad as Sanchez is, he also sucked more because the Jets coaching staff sucked at developing him and surrounding him with a talented offense.    

Yeah, I agree with all of this. Getting the top QB prospect in the draft with your own second round pick is nice, but there's a reason this kid fell this far. I said before the draft that if the Jets drafted him, I'd feel the way I did when they drafted Pennington. Same sorta deal, the allegedly best QB in a weak field. It's better that they didn't use a first, but like in that draft, they used their third pick overall. 

And yeah, if Sanchez ever had any potential the Jets completely destroyed him. Terrible coordinators, no continuity at the reciever positions. In his make or break year, he had Sporano coaching him and Jeremy Kerley as his number one target. That's a tough, tough break. 

I don't think Morhinweg's any super genius, but I do at least think he's a legitimate NFL coordinator. That's a massive step forward for this team. Jets still have a receiver problem. A TE or a WR rather than a guard might've been nice in the third - especially with their fourth now traded away. I don't know what options they have for him. I do think Hill will be better, Kerley should be, too. Don't know if Holmes will even be able to play. Braylon? Geno will have it a little better with the coaching now, but the talent is still awful. Right now, you're hoping for something from Jordan White and a rugby player. :/

Yeah, I agree with all of this. Getting the top QB prospect in the draft with your own second round pick is nice, but there's a reason this kid fell this far. I said before the draft that if the Jets drafted him, I'd feel the way I did when they drafted Pennington. Same sorta deal, the allegedly best QB in a weak field. It's better that they didn't use a first, but like in that draft, they used their third pick overall. 

And yeah, if Sanchez ever had any potential the Jets completely destroyed him. Terrible coordinators, no continuity at the reciever positions. In his make or break year, he had Sporano coaching him and Jeremy Kerley as his number one target. That's a tough, tough break. 

I don't think Morhinweg's any super genius, but I do at least think he's a legitimate NFL coordinator. That's a massive step forward for this team. Jets still have a receiver problem. A TE or a WR rather than a guard might've been nice in the third - especially with their fourth now traded away. I don't know what options they have for him. I do think Hill will be better, Kerley should be, too. Don't know if Holmes will even be able to play. Braylon? Geno will have it a little better with the coaching now, but the talent is still awful. Right now, you're hoping for something from Jordan White and a rugby player. :/

I agree 100% with this post.

I hated the pick, but mostly because of what the experts were saying.

now I'm ok with it.  ernie acorsi has a philosophy of "the priorities of drafting "

get a quarterback

protect the quaterback

rush the quarterback

3rd down difference maker

3 of the jets 4 picks fall into this category.  with smith obv being #1

some GM's draft a QB every year

lets support the kid and cheer for him !!!!!!

Start him week 1. Use the fact that you drafted him in the 2nd to your advantage. He's not a huge investment.

If he busts, he busts and we'll have a high pick and better QB class to find the answer. If he holds his own, if he plays relatively well, you build around him.

I love that was landed him without using a 1st rounder. 

I would put him on the kaepernick plan. There really isn't even a reason to put him on the field this season. 2nd rd pick, let him play in preason and then learn from Garrard.

I would put him on the kaepernick plan. There really isn't even a reason to put him on the field this season. 2nd rd pick, let him play in preason and then learn from Garrard.

Wouldn't have like the pick in the 1st rd. But Geno is a good pick for where he was selected. IMO, he should start only if he out plays all the other QB's in camp.  

Archived