Jets | Stephen Peterman agrees to terms

RSJ

Geno better get used to scrambling -- Peterman has to be the worst pass blocking guard in the league.

You are right. He was inconsistent last season. But it wouldnt be the first time we picked up a Detroit lineman and he played better for us, then them.

You are right. He was inconsistent last season. But it wouldnt be the first time we picked up a Detroit lineman and he played better for us, then them.

He isn't just inconsistent, he is truly awful.  The Lions were an open gate up the middle and Peterman was the main reason.  You could not find a worse pass blocker if you tried.

He isn't just inconsistent, he is truly awful. The Lions were an open gate up the middle and Peterman was the main reason. You could not find a worse pass blocker if you tried.

So no matter how bad the QBs are it will be all this guys fault.

And so it begins...again.

So no matter how bad the QBs are it will be all this guys fault.

And so it begins...again.

Who said that?  The guy stinks as a pass blocker and they will have to work around that fact.  The QB's have plenty of opportunity to stink it up on their own.

I still have to figure Winters & Colon are starting opening day.  But at least Winters isn't being handed the job.  Ducasse is no competition, but Peterman started for 6 years.  Let Winters beat him out before he starts.

And if that happens - which we all want - then I'm sure we could do with a worse backup than a guy with 6 years starting experience.

why is everyone saying winters is gonna start day 1?

i thought the scouting reports said hes gonna have a touch transition to the pros for the first couple years

I think he'll compete for day one, but if he isn't starting within 2 years then something probably went wrong.  I say it's more likely than not that he's our starting RG by week 1.  

Best case scenario is for Vlad to put it all together and be our starting LG, but that's just not going to happen.  Hopefully Campbell transitions back to the Oline quickly and we have our 2014 oline already set.  And if Oday hits the weightroom and maximizes his potential, we either have our future starting RT if Austin fizzles or a fantastic swing-tackle insurance encase of injury.  

The Jets drafted three guards who didn't play guard in college. Good signing. 

I have a feeling they're only going to kick winters and campbell inside and keep Oday as a swing-tackle, either as our future RT encase Austin doesn't pan out or just for injury.  Word is that they grabbed him, like others, because the value of him was so high.  I could be wrong, but I don't think they're gonna be moving him to guard.

Did Peterman just have a bad year pass blocking in 2012 or was last season the beginning of the end of his career? 

In 2011 he was one of the league's better pass protectors, allowing pass pressure (not sacks; just merely allowing pressure) on a puny 0.96% of snaps. Compared favorably to some guards we associate with being far better (1.50% Mankins, 1.04% Iupati, Jahri Evans 2.28%). http://thedctimes.com/2012/02/top-20-nfl-offensive-guards-using-advanced-stats-to-rank-best-ogs/

There's another chart from PFF outlining the top 15 pass protecting guards from 2009-2011.  Peterman came in at #13, just ahead of Ben Grubbs and Jahri Evans.  Brandon Moore was #1.

Take either one of these stats-geek sites for what they're worth.  They probably have some merit, but the extent to their true value is anyone's guess.  Some things you just have to see with your eyes, and I think it's safe to say none of us watched Stephen Peterman for 16 games, focusing strictly on his RT position and ignoring the rest of the action on the field.

He supposedly allowed 36 pressures last year (pretty awful, and worst in the league), though it should be noted Detroit had Stafford drop back to pass over 750 times.  13 of his 36 pressures (which PFF includes sacks, hits, and hurries) occurred in 2 games, leaving a far less horrible 23 in the other 14 games.  It would seem they were two brutal games where every Detroit Lions fan wanted Peterman drawn and quartered.  32 of the 36 would seem to be just pressures as well, as he only allowed Stafford to get hit on 4 of the 756 pass attempts.

Lions GM did release him because he felt there was too much interior pressure on Stafford, and Peterman was #1 on his blame list.  I don't know much about Detroit's playcalling (or how much to factor it in).  But when you run the ball only 391 times in about 1200 plays, which is undoubtedly the most lopsided pass:run ratio in NFL history, it's safe to say there is at least some element of predictability to the playcalling.  Defenses seemed to have adjusted accordingly.

We either got a generally solid guy who had a bad season for his team who did nothing but pass all year, or we got a guy who was once pretty solid and now stinks.  Seems a worthwhile risk on a 1 year contract that's probably pretty cheap. 

But when you run the ball only 391 times in about 1200 plays, which is undoubtedly the most lopsided pass:run ratio in NFL history, it's safe to say there is at least some element of predictability to the playcalling.  Defenses seemed to have adjusted accordingly.

One problem with that seems to a ratio that our new OC doesn't have a problem with.  This guy can't be loving our draft.  

One problem with that seems to a ratio that our new OC doesn't have a problem with.  This can can't be loving our draft.  

True.  But I don't know that he ever approached the more than 2:1 ratio of passing:rushing that Detroit did last year.  At his worst with Philadelphia and SF he kind of approached a 60/40 split (usually less).  Lopsided, to be sure, but being ~30-50% more likely to pass than run (depending on which season you're looking at) isn't quite the same as being some 107% more likely to pass than run.  

At the same time, how many "runs" were pass plays that broke down and Vick just ran, changing another called pass play into a rushing play?

Should be an interesting combination with him and Rex, if nothing else.  You couldn't have 2 more diametrically-opposed philosophies on offense.

Not that I believe it's the deciding factor, but I do believe Rex enjoys the ancillary benefit to his defense with running as opposed to passing, the fact that it leaves less time on the game clock overall, meaning less time for his defense to be on the field, meaning less time for the other team to rack up yards or points.  Incomplete passes will necessarily cause more plays per game for his defense (over time) than will running plays (even failed running plays).

We'll see who wins out in the end.  I think Rex likes scoring plenty of points, but no way Rex likes passing more than running to get there unless time and situation dictates there is no choice.

Should be an interesting combination with him and Rex, if nothing else.  You couldn't have 2 more diametrically-opposed philosophies on offense.

I don't think so. The WCO is really a ball control offense. Sure, it employs a lot of passing, but they're largely short, safe throws. And Morhinweg is probably more run oriented than your average WCO guy. The Eagles were in the top half of the league rushing the football in 5/7 seasons with Morhinweg running the offense, including 5th in the league in both 2010 and 2011. I get that had a lot to do with Vick, but it also had a lot to do with Sean McCoy. 

The Jets seem to be all in with the rushing game this year, too. Have to think Morhinweg had some input into drafting three OL and a FB, while signing one RB in free agency and trading for another. If he didn't he's gotta be pissed. Lol.  

I don't think we'll see Rex throwing any punches on the sidelines. 

He isn't just inconsistent, he is truly awful.  The Lions were an open gate up the middle and Peterman was the main reason.  You could not find a worse pass blocker if you tried.

You must be a newly converted Jets fan. Let me tell u a little story about this fine man called Wayne effing Hunter...wait, nevermind.

With the three OL picks, there's a good chance Peterman might be part of the final cuts. With Idzik in charge, it's not about saving ur pride n not letting go off a player you hand picked. It's about "What can Brown do for you?"

Archived