Jets traded a fourth-round pick to NO for Chris Ivory.

Integrity28

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With top 15 QB play the last two years, the Jets would've made the playoffs at least once, and very possibly twice.

We'll see. I'm currently of the opinion that he probably looked a lot better for the Saints than he ever will on the Jets. No one was stacking the box against the NO.

Sure. But he makes people miss, has a second gear and can catch the football. All things Greene couldnt do.

What's annoying is we cant draft running backs.

I would have rather Allen in the third and Franklin/Ellington or Barner in the 4th. Er, go get the OG in 5,6,7 or FA. 

My lust for Cooper or Warmack is b/c I felt they were elite fwiw. 

Winters was solid but....well, jmo. 

I wanted skill in the third.  They must really be sworn to BPA all the way down the line.  Ivory is a guy with skill, but he is a bit of an injury pansy

Ivory and Goodson will be an most excellent tandem  - almost as excited about this as I am about Marky potentially cleaning out his locker.

Well,now the jets have a back who can get a yard.  Just keep your fingers crossed he doesn't get turf toe, or gout, or fibromyalgia.

In Idzik I trust.  They are not making moves because they are popular.  They are not squandering picks.  i don't have concerns about Ivory's talent, just his durability.  The Jets know his injury history.  They also could have drafted RB if they wanted to.  So I will trust them on this, and on the draft to date.  I wanted skill at 3, but if Winters was BPA on their board, God bless them.  They must have good reports on Holmes, and some belief that Hill is going to get it.  All the TEs were basically gone.  Their receivers are not bottom of the barrel if Hill improves and Holmes comes back.  If it has to be Cumberland and Rueland, whatever.

Well,now the jets have a back who can get a yard.  Just keep your fingers crossed he doesn't get turf toe, or gout, or fibromyalgia.

If Shonney boy can get a thousand the last 2 seasons by running slowly up the gut, being dropped by the first defender that touches him, without changing directions, assisted by Vlad - we're in for a treat with Ivory and Goodson.

I said it before - Ivory's been behind Ingram, Thomas, and Sproles the last couple years. How many of those injuries are legit and how many are due to the fact they really don't need him so they put him on IR?

The issue with trading for Ivory is that every defense New Orleans faced played nickel the majority of the time, so every back the Sainst roll out there looks like Earl Campbell. Ivory is going to be running against nine man fronts here because there are no skill position players to warrant attention. I'm sure Idzik's idea was getting a big, tough back like Marshawn Lynch and letting him pound behind Brian Winters and Mangold, but Ivory is not Marshawn Lynch.

I'm not particularly in love with this trade, as I definitely think the Jets gave up too much, but nobody thought Marshawn Lynch was what he is now either back when he left Buffalo essentially considered a bust.  There's no doubt Ivory is going to be in a completely different type of situation than he was in NO, but Idzik is clearly in love with this guy, so here's just hoping that 1) he's right about him and 2) Ivory stays healthy.

I'm not particularly in love with this trade, as I definitely think the Jets gave up too much, but nobody thought Marshawn Lynch was what he is now either back when he left Buffalo essentially considered a bust.  There's no doubt Ivory is going to be in a completely different type of situation than he was in NO, but Idzik is clearly in love with this guy, so here's just hoping that 1) he's right about him and 2) Ivory stays healthy.

I'm really psyched to have Ivory on the team.  He's one of the few guys (like Austin) with highlight tape that can get me amped up and his was in the NFL.  I can understand giving up the fourth, but really would like to have gotten something else back even a 2014 7.  I was hoping it'd be for a 5th.

Chris Ivory - RB - Jets

Jets signed RB Chris Ivory to a three-year contract.

Ivory turned 25 last month, so the three-year deal keeps him under the Jets' control through his age-27 season. He'll be eligible to enter free agency at 28, giving Ivory a chance at another significant contract should he capitalize on the opportunity in New York. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport hears the agreement is worth about $3 million annually. If so, it's a good deal for both sides.

The issue with trading for Ivory is that every defense New Orleans faced played nickel the majority of the time, so every back the Sainst roll out there looks like Earl Campbell. Ivory is going to be running against nine man fronts here because there are no skill position players to warrant attention. I'm sure Idzik's idea was getting a big, tough back like Marshawn Lynch and letting him pound behind Brian Winters and Mangold, but Ivory is not Marshawn Lynch.

Perceived lack of skill position talent is not why teams can commit 8-9 guys to the run.

Unless you are blind, all it takes is a look at his film to see that Ivory has a rare combination of size, speed, power and moves.  And, his highlight reel is at the NFL level, not playing agains 11 scrubs.  He is a roll of the dice -- but at RB (or any other skill position) 4th round picks are always a roll of the dice.  Not something to get your panties bunched up over.

It's very simple as we aren't contenders next season. Just sign him as a free agent and done with. This is the type of sh*t the Raider do.

You give up the 4th now so as to not enter a bidding war encase he showcases his talent moreso this year.  He's locked up for a reasonable contract and when the kid rolls out 1200 yards and 8 tds, Idzik will look pretty damned good in doing so.  It's very obvious they did their homework on the kid and only pulled the trigger when value dictated to do so.  Pretty savvy move in my opinion.

This is absolutely a fair point, and I wish we could have maybe worked out a "conditional 5th" type deal in case the kid gets hurt.

Love this trade. Ivory is a beast. Welcome to gang green . We hit rock bottom last year but the rebuilding has begun. Things are lookin up jet fans. May take a little time but were heading in the right direction. Loved seeing chrebet announce geno smith pick. Good times.

Unless you are blind, all it takes is a look at his film to see that Ivory has a rare combination of size, speed, power and moves. And, his highlight reel is at the NFL level, not playing agains 11 scrubs. He is a roll of the dice -- but at RB (or any other skill position) 4th round picks are always a roll of the dice. Not something to get your panties bunched up over.

Y are we the only team wanting him?

Y are we the only team wanting him?

I know I am new here and just reading through all of the posts, it appears there are positive Jets fans, there are negative Jets fans, and there are trolls. I think I've got one pegged.

? If Ivory is able to stay healthy, he's going to be Michael Turner from his first few years with the Falcons. 

I'm not ready to say "definitely" to that, and being stuck behind Pierre Thomas isn't the same as being stuck behind LaDanian Tomlinson, but it was a good point.  No one knew how Turner would hold up over a full season against NFL defenses, and Atlanta gave him like $6M/year when he was a year older than Ivory, when the cap was almost $10M lower than today, and with $15M guaranteed compared to the $10M total that Ivory signed for.  We gave up a 4th round pick for Ivory, but when Atlanta signed Turner as a UFA they lost the opportunity to gain a compensatory pick of around that level by signing Turner to such a lucrative deal.  

Most concerning - assuming he stays healthy - are the things that kept him buried on the depth chart.  It wasn't his running, as he was certainly a more dangerous runner than Pierre Thomas & Mark Ingram.  It was that in pre-season he put the ball on the ground and also missed his blocking assignments in pass protection (allegedly).  I don't think New Orleans had any concerns about his ability to gain yards, and he hasn't fumbled in a live game since 2010.

Even still, I like the pick.  Like slats I don't like giving RBs lucrative second contracts.  But this is hardly lucrative and Ivory's a 25 year old RB with under 300 career touches. 

3 yr 10 mil for a guy who had a total of 258 over 3 yrs and one run of 56 how's that a good deal?

WTF are you talking about?

2010 -  12 G  716 Yds  5.2 Y/A

2011 -    6 G  374 Yds  4.7 Y/A

2012 -    6 G  217 Yds  5.4 Y/A

And, as other people (who are not 'tards) have pointed out it is the guaranteed money that counts.

Archived