Jets traded a fourth-round pick to NO for Chris Ivory.

Integrity28

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris Ivory is better than any 4th rd. DP.  Little tread used.  Saints fans are unhappy with the trade.  They would have preferred losing Mark Ingraham.

Jets will definitely have exciting positive moments in 2013.  Watch Ivory, a beast!

I'm new here...but a long time suffering Jets fan.  Informed posters I see.  Appreciated.

I don't have any idea how many of these "injuries" are legit but they certainly didn't need to dress him most of 2011 and 2012 with the 3 other bonafide backs and their passing game.

http://www.kffl.com/player/23292/nfl/injury_history/chris-ivory

One thing is certain, he's got less touches than an all purpose back gets in one season. So the correlation between touches and length of career is way in our favor.  

• 2 years later...

The Jets seem to do really well when they trade 3rd through 5th rounders for players.  Maybe that should be their strategy with those picks every year.

Ivory, Marshall, Holmes (was a great trade in terms of value even if he ended up being a dick-head), Bray (3rd and 5th in that case), Kris Jenkins (also a 3rd and 5th).

Ivory is a big upgrade over Greene. Not close. If you don't love this guy, the second you see him run you will. 

Nice call Mike.

This.

I have to be honest, we got #1a / 1b prospects at CB, QB, DT, a starting RB who will probably be the most exciting runner we've had since Curtis Martin, and a starting OG in a round where you should be drafting guards.

I have zero complaints about this draft. I think it has been foundational.

Who else gets 4 immediate starters and a potential franchise QB all in one draft?

Nice call Ape

Which player in the 4th round would have instantly become our best player on offense? Because that's what Ivory is.

Nice call Matt

Yeah Greene sucks so bad ,  but Ivory is a beast... Said no  team ever.  And if the guy doesn't play....guess all the 'smart' people will have built in excuses.

So what's yours lol

Ivory is a good back and it was a good move but it is not that hard to find a good running back.  We just happen to love to find mediocre backs like Powell, Greene and Ridley.

This theory is beginning to be proven wrong. If it was that easy then we wouldnt have mediocre RB's like Powell, Ridley and Stacey. Every time I watch that Eagles game it shows how valuable Ivory is to this offense and what a world of difference it is when he's back on the field. There arent alot of "Kniles Davis" RB's on football teams today. For the most part, when the lead back goes down on a team it's felt. 

Finding a RB may not be as hard as finding other positions, but that doesnt mean its as easy as even I once proclaimed it to be. And Ivory isnt just good, he's playing like a top 3 to top 5 RB in the league right now in terms of production and value to his team. 

This theory is beginning to be proven wrong. If it was that easy then we wouldnt have mediocre RB's like Powell, Ridley and Stacey. Every time I watch that Eagles game it shows how valuable Ivory is to this offense. 

Finding a RB may not be as hard as finding other positions, but that doesnt mean its as easy as even I once proclaimed it to be. And Ivory isnt just good, he's playing like a top 3 to top 5 RB in the league right now in terms of production and value to his team. 

We just suck at evaluating RB talent and it's not just this regime it's every regime we've had since Parcells left.  The New England Patriots can get Danny Woodhead and Legarrette Blount off the street meanwhile we're using high draft picks for scrubs like Shonn Greene.

We passed on Eddie Lacy and Giovani Bernard two years ago for Geno Smith and Dee Milliner.

We just suck at evaluating RB talent and it's not just this regime it's every regime we've had since Parcells left.  The New England Patriots can get Danny Woodhead and Legarrette Blount off the street meanwhile we're using high draft picks for scrubs like Shonn Greene.

We passed on Eddie Lacy and Giovani Bernard two years ago for Geno Smith and Dee Milliner.

You're right to an extent but I think Lacy and whoever the Pats run out there every year benefit from their great quarterbacks. 

The Patriots are one example. And if im correct it was the Jets who discovered Woodhead, and though Blount entered the league undrafted that wasnt because he wasnt considered a high round talent. 

It seems like most of the NFL sucks at evaluating RB talent because I really dont see back ups that could be leading men (like a Chris Ivory) on every team except the Jets. There are only a few teams that really have that luxury such as Kansas City. Many of these other teams have backs that are more situational (which to your point about our evaluation, we dont have that "situational" back on this team) but I wouldnt compare Danny Woodhead at any point in his career to Chris Ivory at any point in his career. If I had to make a decision to have Danny Woodhead at his best or Chris Ivory as a Saint Im going Chris Ivory all day long. And thats not a knock on Woodhead's skillset, its just that I dont think you can go into a 16 game season with Woodhead as your #1. You can certainly go into a season with KC's back up Kniles Davis as your #1 and be A-okay. But again, how many teams have that KC situation? 

Teams like NE are great at finding those Shane Vereen's in the 2nd round and really make him a mismatch in the passing game, but Shane Vereen as their #1 would be a disaster. Same thing with Dion Lewis today. Dude is a match up nightmare, but he's only relevant because of Blount...a more complete "running" back.  

But you are right in regards to the poor evaluating of talent when it comes to the Jets....but so is most of the league. 

I LOVE THIS DRAFT!!!

Idzik is ok by me.

Noted.

LOL - I remember making a prediction last year where I thought the Jets would be on the rise and that nobody would want to play them by season's end.  I think I predicted 10-11 wins.  It's just funny to go back over this type of stuff.

The Patriots are one example. And if im correct it was the Jets who discovered Woodhead, and though Blount entered the league undrafted that wasnt because he wasnt considered a high round talent. 

It seems like most of the NFL sucks at evaluating RB talent because I really dont see back ups that could be leading men (like a Chris Ivory) on every team except the Jets. There are only a few teams that really have that luxury such as Kansas City. Many of these other teams have backs that are more situational (which to your point about our evaluation, we dont have that "situational" back on this team) but I wouldnt compare Danny Woodhead at any point in his career to Chris Ivory at any point in his career. If I had to make a decision to have Danny Woodhead at his best or Chris Ivory as a Saint Im going Chris Ivory all day long. And thats not a knock on Woodhead's skillset, its just that I dont think you can go into a 16 game season with Woodhead as your #1. You can certainly go into a season with KC's back up Kniles Davis as your #1 and be A-okay. But again, how many teams have that KC situation? 

Teams like NE are great at finding those Shane Vereen's in the 2nd round and really make him a mismatch in the passing game, but Shane Vereen as their #1 would be a disaster. Same thing with Dion Lewis today. Dude is a match up nightmare, but he's only relevant because of Blount...a more complete "running" back.  

But you are right in regards to the poor evaluating of talent when it comes to the Jets....but so is most of the league. 

Our talent evaluators whiffed on Woodhead.  As did many on Jets message boards.  He is still doing damage today.

You're absolutely correct. But Woodhead is not a #1 type back on some teams back up rotation. Chris Ivory (saints)...yes. Kniles Davis...yes. Ryan Matthews.....yes. 

I like Ivory as much as the next guy but I have real concerns about his ability to stay healthy the way that he runs.  If he changes the way he runs he will not be anywhere near as effective.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  I was fairly high on Powell as a backup but he has been very unimpressive with his touches this year.  I think the potential drop-off in our running game may be the biggest risk to our playoff chances outside of "the evil of two lessers" choice at QB..

With respect to this thread it was clearly a very good trade for us.

I heard a rumor that the Bears might be dumping player contracts and Matt Forte might become available.... Yum yum, yes please!  That would certainly relieve my concerns if it were possible and more importantly if it were possible under the salary cap.  I wonder what picks (and/or players) it might take to get Chicago to pull the trigger on that. 

I like Ivory as much as the next guy but I have real concerns about his ability to stay healthy the way that he runs.  If he changes the way he runs he will not be anywhere near as effective.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  I was fairly high on Powell as a backup but he has been very unimpressive with his touches this year.  I think the potential drop-off in our running game may be the biggest risk to our playoff chances outside of "the evil of two lessers" choice at QB..

With respect to this thread it was clearly a very good trade for us.

I heard a rumor that the Bears might be dumping player contracts and Matt Forte might become available.... Yum yum, yes please!  That would certainly relieve my concerns if it were possible and more importantly if it were possible under the salary cap.  I wonder what picks (and/or players) it might take to get Chicago to pull the trigger on that. 

Ehhhh, Im not too sure about Matt Forte. A great back no doubt, but I would be more concerned about Forte's production moving forward than I would ever be with Chris Ivory's health. Forte is 29 now and he's been averaging 260 carries over his last 7 seasons. That guy is going to hit a wall. Ivory is 2 year younger and has avg. 127 carries over the last 5 seasons...with the bulk of those coming with the Jets the past 2 seasons. Im not really concerned about Ivory's health. It was a big deal in New Orleans but Ivory has been with the Jets for now his 3rd season and the Eagles game was just his 2nd game missed. 

Some guys are injury prone or at least they are players you must be concerned about. I think Chris Ivory has put that to bed. The good thing is that he's not worn down with all of the carries so this is a relatively fresh 27 year old. I think we got 3 great years in Ivory, however, we need a situational back BADLY. 

Ehhhh, Im not too sure about Matt Forte. A great back no doubt, but I would be more concerned about Forte's production moving forward than I would ever be with Chris Ivory's health. Forte is 29 now and he's been averaging 260 carries over his last 7 seasons. That guy is going to hit a wall. Ivory is 2 year younger and has avg. 127 carries over the last 5 seasons...with the bulk of those coming with the Jets the past 2 seasons. Im not really concerned about Ivory's health. It was a big deal in New Orleans but Ivory has been with the Jets for now his 3rd season and the Eagles game was just his 2nd game missed. 

Some guys are injury prone or at least they are players you must be concerned about. I think Chris Ivory has put that to bed. The good thing is that he's not worn down with all of the carries so this is a relatively fresh 27 year old. I think we got 3 great years in Ivory, however, we need a situational back BADLY. 

Games missed is one thing and he may have only missed two starts but he has been dinged up quite frequently with the Jets and his performance drops off significantly when he is.  A bit like game-2.  He was one the field but he might just as well have not been on the field.

I would not view Matt Forte as any kind of long term solution but more of an opportunistic rental of sorts, albeit a somewhat expensive one along the lines of a Thomas Jones.  I am just not sure what kind of a pick they would be looking for or whether or not we can fit him  under our cap.  I think he would help us tremendously this year.

Forte would be a stupid signing. A classic Raiders pickup. 

Ivory is great. I couldn't comprehend the negative reaction some had when we got him. One look at his highlight reel and you can see the guy's a force. He has his limitations as an all rounder, but seem to be improving every year. As a pure runner there aren't 5 better backs in the league.

LOL at the Saints.

I think Forte and Ivory would compliment eachother nicely but I agree that Forte isn't long for this league. Im not a huge Ivory fan personally but he is talented and I know that our RB situation could be far worse. I think we will and should stick with what we have for now and see what happens when Ridley gets back, I wouldn't mind taking a swing on Chubb in the draft as I think his stock just took a big dive yesterday.

Archived