Live Draft Discussion Thread - rounds 4-7

Sperm Edwards

Two things becoming clearer:

1. Idzik is punting the 2013 season

2. He's drafting experienced guys who live for the sole purpose of playing football. Not one of these guys comes with motivation flags.

Idzik is like a smarter and ballsier Eric Mangini.  

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems Idzik has shut off the information valve with the media and has chosen to have no relationships with even the High Holies like Mort, King, and Francesa, so what you're seeing with guys like Mayock is the passive aggressive backlash. They have no incentive to pull punches, so they say what they think. The Giants get good press because they win, but also because Mara and Hanlon cultivate relationships with these guys. Over time, when he has some success, I'd imagine Idzik will be less paranoid and become more forthcoming, and the Jets will magically reap better coverage.

Maybe Idzik wants a no info atmosphere to tie Rex's hands.  The Jets don't need the kinds of useless distractions that Rex roils up.

What I learned:

-Jets trust Hayden Smith and Jeff Cumberland way too much.

Meh, once you got past the first 2 days, the TE value dropped way down.  I'd rather roll with those 2 guys and get a stud in the 1st/2nd round next season.  

Couldn't address ALL our needs in this draft with, apparently, no trade down partners.

What I learned:

-Jets trust Hayden Smith and Jeff Cumberland way too much.

What you should have learned ;)

The players the jets picked were rated higher than every other TE that was currently available on their board.  Everyone wanted BPA and that's what we're getting.  Idzik is not going to deviate from that one bit it seems and that's a good thing.  Hell, we basically played just with Cumberland last year anyways.

I think Tennesee has done a lot to improve their OL in this draft, but we're right behind them. Our QBs got blown up last year, before worrying about finding WRs you gotta fix that line. 

I love this draft. 

The defense is supported by replacing the two most glaring losses: Revis and Devito/Pouha

The offense is reconfigured by: addressing the offensive line starters and depth, bringing in an entirely new rushing attack, and drafting the QB of the future. 

The outcry for WRs and TEs is silly, imo. Morninwheg ran a successful WCO in Philly for years without every having a highly touted WR. We have Hill, Kerley, Holmes and some veterans. I can remember McNabb putting up sick numbers and none of his WRs ever had more than like 50 catches, the ball got spread around.... and the TEs came from out of nowhere back then.

I am more please with this draft than any I've ever paid attention to for the Jets. No joke.

I think it might be easier to scour a 4th receiver from the UDFA pool than it would be a legit guard.   There are always good hands, good route runners in that pool, something a WCO can use.  Tight ends?  Pray that Cumberland has an epiphany.

I learned that edge rushers have no place on our team.  7 years in a row I'm waiting for a pass rushing OLB.  7 Years in a row we get nobody.

In all fairness, they did sign Barnes to a multi-year deal and have high hopes for Ricky Sapp.  Not saying they're saviors, but it's clear they understood the dearth of talent we had there.  Also can't really complain seeing as how all the elite pass rushers in Mingo/Jordan/Ansah were off the board when we picked.

I think it might be easier to scour a 4th receiver from the UDFA pool than it would be a legit guard.   There are always good hands, good route runners in that pool, something a WCO can use.  Tight ends?  Pray that Cumberland has an epiphany.

Not to mention they had high hopes for White last year and if healthy, he'll be another name competing for a job.  

Two things becoming clearer:

1. Idzik is punting the 2013 season

2. He's drafting experienced guys who live for the sole purpose of playing football. Not one of these guys comes with motivation flags.

1. Disagree.

He's handling this team just like Seattle, build an attacking defense... support QB (young or old) with beefy O-line, and attacking run game. I'm going to say it right now, as long as Sanchez isn't turning the ball over 5 times a game, we are going to be a tough out. We'll compete for 2nd in the division. 

Our defense is going to be a joy to watch. Our offensive line and QB will no longer be the achilles of the entire team. I think he's focused on finding guys to fix the mess in this draft and think he's done well.

2. Agree. 

It's refreshing hearing that we'll have "nasty" offensive linemen, I want them to set the tone for the entire offense tbh. 

We are going to be competitive, moreso than the 3-13 predictions I keep seeing. I also think with a lockerroom full of football loving lunch pail guys, it reduces risk of Rex "losing them" as he did the past 2 years. 

Holmes has to go. He's the ******* worst.

Safeties and TE's looking a little scary right now. Guess we're all in on Stephen Hill taking it to the next level next year. 

Hey, Rome wasn't built in a day. Can't complain as I didn't expect Idzik to fix every problem in one draft. 

There's still UDFA and a bunch of veteran FAs in limbo.

1. Disagree.

He's handling this team just like Seattle, build an attacking defense... support QB (young or old) with beefy O-line, and attacking run game. I'm going to say it right now, as long as Sanchez isn't turning the ball over 5 times a game, we are going to be a tough out. We'll compete for 2nd in the division. 

Our defense is going to be a joy to watch. Our offensive line and QB will no longer be the achilles of the entire team. I think he's focused on finding guys to fix the mess in this draft and think he's done well.

2. Agree. 

It's refreshing hearing that we'll have "nasty" offensive linemen, I want them to set the tone for the entire offense tbh. 

We are going to be competitive, moreso than the 3-13 predictions I keep seeing. I also think with a lockerroom full of football loving lunch pail guys, it reduces risk of Rex "losing them" as he did the past 2 years. 

Holmes has to go. He's the ******* worst.

I like your assessment and I hope it's correct. But I think it will be an exciting training camp and hopefully season.

What's cool about the two OGs they took, both were the best OL on their team, athletic enough to be LTs in college....and BOTH considered to have mean streaks, nasty temperaments. I love that part!!!

Jets have a lot of badasses on the team now. Pure football guys. Nice building blocks. Not bad....

I forget about Jordan White. But he could be the guy in Marty's WCO. Thanks for reminding me about him...I like Jordan White. 

Jordan White and Demario Davis are the two things I am mad at Rex for last year.  They should have so much more game film on those two, not giving them every snap the last 6 weeks just made no sense.

What's cool about the two OGs they took, both were the best OL on their team, athletic enough to be LTs in college....and BOTH considered to have mean streaks, nasty temperaments. I love that part!!!

Jets have a lot of badasses on the team now. Pure football guys. Nice building blocks. Not bad....

I think we should be drafting 1AA captains like Mangini but whatever.  JK.

Just though this was a funny excerpt from Freeman "Smith has no idea what he's walking into. New York is the second-toughest market behind Philadelphia. Some, not all, of the journalists covering the team are personally miserable, and the fans would boo ice cream and puppies."

Gee, I wonder who he could be talking about. Glad to see they don't let it effect their work :/

It's true as everyone has been mentioning about drafting guys who just like football; the thing that I liken Geno to Russell Wilson is that apparently they are absolute football junkies who spend an inordinate amount of time in the film room and just studying football in general.  These guys all have incredible tools, it's the ones who have the work ethic and desire to be great that put it all together.  Really like the signing. 

Brandon Jenkins anyone? Surprised no one has taken a chance on him yet.

Seems to me Swope, Rogers and Washington are all still available. I wonder if there's something causing them to drop; besides maybe they have just been overrated all year by the media.  Rogers is a stud, so I'm just assuming his character concerns are much worse than have been reported.  Surprised all three are still around.

Jordan White and Demario Davis are the two things I am mad at Rex for last year.  They should have so much more game film on those two, not giving them every snap the last 6 weeks just made no sense.

Davis, especially, should have been on the field as much as possible, knowing Scott would be 86'd.  They did the kid and the team no favors going forward.

Archived