104 replies to this topic

#51 Il Mostro

Il Mostro

Cazzone

• Members
  • 4,249 posts
  • LocationOut West

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

His job is already saved, Tom.  You don't hand your HC a rookie QB then fire him the next season, you just don't.

Especially since, as you recommend, Geno might not start until the 2nd half of the season.

True -- it's the NFL equivalent of a Get Out Of Jail Free card.  With a new GM and better defined boundaries, giving Rex another chance and clean slate could turn out to be a very good thing. 

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Then it's just fun.

#52 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

Morons. If Rex wants to save his job, he can

A. Start Garrard and hope he doesn't turn the ball over while the defense wins him 8 games.

-or-

B. Start Geno and hope Woody thinks the inevitable 3-13 record is the fault of the rookie QB.

Rex doesn't have the time or incentive to develop Smith so the next coach can profit.

3056.2rfvwcn.gif

Those are the only two doors? 

So the defense will win 8 games with Garrard but 3-13 is "inevitable" with Smith? How so now? The 2000+ snaps he took in college weren't enough preparation? He has to develop properly but properly cannot include sitting or playing time....I wonder, do you even take what you say seriously? 

Edited by SenorGato, 28 April 2013 - 11:44 AM.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#53 T0mShane

T0mShane

From devil to Bevell, '15

• Members
  • 24,702 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

I wonder, do you even take what you say seriously?

Oh, the irony.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#54 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 44,634 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

Oh, the irony.

Tom, I love you, but the kid's got a point.  You've been utterly contradictory lately.  I know that its the way of the Jets fan to be completely bi-polar, but you haven't even really made an attempt at being the least bit positive which, amazingly, seems unlike you.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#55 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

Oh, the irony.

I don't take most of what I say seriously. I also avoid stuff like "the defense will win 8 games with David Garrard but 3-13 is inevitiable with Geno Smith because development," or whatever the exact quote is. That's funny as a joke, but if meant to be taken seriously...

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

#56 T0mShane

T0mShane

• Members
  • 24,702 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

^ I didn't say the team will win eight games wit Garrard. I'm saying that's the only realistic route Rex has to eight wins, unless Geno is a lot more ready than we think or Sanchez has an epiphany.

My point is that it's dicey to entrust Rex with the development of the young QB right now because Rex needs to save his job more than he needs to dedicate time and effort in preparing a QB for a ten-year career.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#57 dbatesman

dbatesman

Vulgar Yankee Mannerisms

• Members
  • 7,815 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

White dude

PASS

This is like having a cat with leukemia.

#58 dbatesman

dbatesman

Vulgar Yankee Mannerisms

• Members
  • 7,815 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

His job is already saved, Tom.  You don't hand your HC a rookie QB then fire him the next season, you just don't.

Especially since, as you recommend, Geno might not start until the 2nd half of the season.

If his job was safe, he'd be signed past the end of this season.

This is like having a cat with leukemia.

#59 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 18,180 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

This is a good thread, let's not muck it up with petty BS. Thanks! :)

back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#60 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

^ I didn't say the team will win eight games wit Garrard. I'm saying that's the only realistic route Rex has to eight wins, unless Geno is a lot more ready than we think or Sanchez has an epiphany.

My point is that it's dicey to entrust Rex with the development of the young QB right now because Rex needs to save his job more than he needs to dedicate time and effort in preparing a QB for a ten-year career.

Who is the "we" doing the thinking on how ready Smith is? Why would 3-13 be inevitable with him starting? What does Rex have to do to prep him for ten years in the NFL, particularly since according to you neither sitting him or playin him is an option? Didn't the Jets bring in a guy who has been a real part of the development of multiple starting QBs? Why does Ryan need to save his job according to you? I'm really interested since also according to you Idzik is Rex's gimp. Which one is it?

#61 T0mShane

T0mShane

• Members
  • 24,702 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

What does the manner in which a head coach employs a rookie QB have to do with his development? How can one know what is unknown? Is the cat in the box dead or alive? If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound? Why do cats only meow in the presence of humans? Are there finite parameters to the universe? Why don't they make weed that I can ignite in the shower? If Train A leaves New York traveling at a rate of 56 MPH, and Train B leaves Boston at the same time traveling at 75 MPH? Why do coaches ever get fired? Were the pyramids built by aliens? How about Machu Picchu? Is $15 million more or less than $11 million? Does John Idzik have thoughts? How does anyone predict rain before they get wet? Why is Drew Barrymore a huge star but Jenna Von Oy isn't?

#62 Thor99

Thor99

Making friends since 1970

• Moderators
  • 18,047 posts
  • LocationLeland, NC

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

Jenna Von Oy isn't?

Can't figure out umlauts, huh?

Look at me
I'm a tangled puppet
I might be a mess
But I sure can survive

#63 T0mShane

T0mShane

• Members
  • 24,702 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

Can't figure out umlauts, huh?

For years, I thought that was a flavor of coffee.

#64 Thor99

Thor99

Making friends since 1970

• Moderators
  • 18,047 posts
  • LocationLeland, NC

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

For years, I thought that was a flavor of coffee.

I'm a little embarrassed that I know who that is, without looking it up.

Whoa!

Look at me
I'm a tangled puppet
I might be a mess
But I sure can survive

#65 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

Maybe Von Oy a-nnoyed someone.

Edited by SenorGato, 28 April 2013 - 05:31 PM.

#66 T0mShane

T0mShane

• Members
  • 24,702 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

I'm a little embarrassed that I know who that is, without looking it up.

Whoa!

I know, right? Her-herrrrrrr

#67 khesanh

khesanh

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

I am telling you guys, Joseph Fauria at TE. 6'7", 259lbs, athletic as hell, good hands and has crazy leaping ability on the field. The guy can play and will be an absolute steal as an UDFA.

What happened with that Ivy League kid from who was being talked up as a pass rusher supreme? Did he get drafted?

I love Fauria very good TE underrated and great in.the red zone
I would take Da'Rick based only on his name -- it is d'awesome.

#68 Lurking Troll

Lurking Troll

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

Geno is so cute. He is so excited, walking towards the door not realizing that it leads to a room full of rotating knives.

Edited by Lurking Troll, 28 April 2013 - 06:26 PM.

#69 Ryno the Jet

Ryno the Jet

AGS WIN

• Members
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

Geno is so cute. He is so excited, walking towards the door not realizing that it leads to a room full of rotating knives.

Dude, we got rid of D Rob years ago...no more bowling balls with knives round here.

#70 Lurking Troll

Lurking Troll

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

Dude, we got rid of D Rob years ago...no more bowling balls with knives round here.

But if bowling balls with knives are outlawed only outlaws will have bowling balls with knives.

#71 Ryno the Jet

Ryno the Jet

AGS WIN

• Members
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

But if bowling balls with knives are outlawed only outlaws will have bowling balls with knives.

Sorry, politics are not allowed in this forum. I hope they don't ban you...or do I??

Um74r.gif

Edited by Ryno the Jet, 28 April 2013 - 08:02 PM.

#72 Lurking Troll

Lurking Troll

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

Sorry, politics are not allowed in this forum. I hope they don't ban you...or do I??

Um74r.gif

#73 Lurking Troll

Lurking Troll

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

Ok..I'm usually not easily creeped out...but

#74 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 26,340 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

Pantale projects as a blocking TE.  Here are his workout numbers:

40 yard dash:  4.99 sec. dead last among all 13 TEs who ran at the combine (best time was Furstenburg, 4.62 sec)

Broad jump: 9'2" dead last among all 13 TEs who jumped at the combine (best was Eifert & McDonald, 9'11")

Vertical jump: 33 1/2" tied with 1 other for 5th among 13 TEs who jumped at the combine (best was Eifert & Furstenberg, 35 1/2")

3 Cone Drill: 7.48 sec. dead last among the 10 TEs who participated at the combine (best was Escobar, 7.07 sec.)

Bench Press: 17 reps tied with two others for 8th among the 11 TEs who participated at the combine (best was Eifert, Kasa, & Sims, 22 reps)

Not exactly a workout warrior.  Hey, he was undrafted.

Shanahan is a converted WR, similar to Jeff Cumberland (although Cumberland initially played TE then converted to WR then back to TE.  Also, Cumberland ran a sub-4.5 at his pro day.  Shanahan supposedly plays much faster than his timed speed, but his timed speed at his pro day was 4.81).  Honestly I didn't know Cumberland timed that fast; doesn't look like a speed demon on the field.  Maybe he's put on a lot of weight since then.

Basically to sum up, one guy is a blocking TE and one guy is a receiving TE.

I don't think Pantale is necessarily a blocking TE.  He's just big and slow.  He was a pretty strong prospect, but he broke his foot last year. Came back and caught a bunch of balls the second half, but I don't think anybody expected him to be so slow.   I've seen him described as a "work in progress" as a blocker. 

http://www.nfl.com/c...tale?id=2539208

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#75 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 26,340 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

Interestingly, there were a couple of pre-draft Bleacher Report articles linking the Jets to Pantale.  The first also mentions Rontez Miles and the second is regarding the Shrine Game.  First value I've seen out of there.

http://bleacherrepor...to-watch/page/7

http://bleacherrepor...ine-game/page/4

Edited by #27TheDominator, 28 April 2013 - 08:57 PM.

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users