So, who was your favorite pick?

T0mShane

In terms of where he was picked and what he'll provide, I'm going with Brian Winters. He's supposed to be nasty, physical, and tough, but he's also huge and played a decent LT. I really like the idea of putting a mauler between Brick and Mangold--both of whom are finesse players.

At first i didnt like the pick, but the more and more I read about him, the more I really like him. So I'm going with Sheldon Richardson. They say the dude is explosive as hell and plays/moves like a linebacker from the defensive line. I'm pretty excited to see him play with Wilkerson and Coples.

Geno, for so many reasons:

1) At 39, it was crazy good value.  If we'd have gotten Sanchez at 39 originally, we could have cut him much sooner. 

2) We got our potential franchise guy without precluding the possibility we draft another QB soon if he doesn't work out.

3) One day soon, perhaps June 1st, it rids us of the stain that is Mark Sanchez.  Possibly Tebow too.  Isn't that what we all wanted?

4) I've always argued that Rex is a QB away from winning a title.  Well we went out and got the best QB prospect in the draft.  Let the experiment begin!

If we can figure out how to fit Richardson in on our crowded DL and Milliner ends up being half of Revis, I'll love those picks as well.  But for now, hard NOT to get more excited about our 2nd rounder than our two 1st's.

I expect starters in R1, and we got 2.

I think getting a starting OG in R3, after the past few years of neglecting our OL makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, especially since Winters personality write up makes him sound like my type of player. Agree with Tom, I guess.

I like our 7th rounder too. That is where you draft a FB, and this kid sounds better than "look at that hit, draft him" Terminator already.

This draft really brings in an influx of "football is my life" type of guys, that play with a nasty edge. I like it.

Punish the opponent.

You know, I really cannot pick a favorite.  I was taken by surprise with the Jets' whole draft, but I am happy with the mix of what looks like terrific value across the board and a group of guys who will likely contribute now, plus players who should develop in the near future.

What I am most impressed with is the fact that, on paper at least, this team could realistically make a complete turn-around in two seasons.   With money to spend on free agents, a draft focused on "skill" positions, and a young QB who is ready to start next year, we have a chance to be in great shape.  And we will not have many, if any, holes to fill when all is said and done.  

I like the value we got out of our 4th too.  Ivory is going to be fun to watch.  We may not have a blanket TE for Geno to throw to, but if Holmes is healthy and behaves, AND Hill takes some developmental steps, we'll have a nice trio of receivers, a good RB corps, and a beefed up OL to support our rookie QB.  Plus there's still free agency.

Not too shabby.

Taking Geno was great too. 

sh*t, there's not a pick I dislike in this one.

You know, I really cannot pick a favorite.  I was taken by surprise with the Jets' whole draft, but I am happy with the mix of what looks like terrific value across the board and a group of guys who will likely contribute now, plus players who should develop in the near future.

What I am most impressed with is the fact that, on paper at least, this team could realistically make a complete turn-around in two seasons.   With money to spend on free agents, a draft focused on "skill" positions, and a young QB who is ready to start next year, we have a chance to be in great shape.  And we will not have many, if any, holes to fill when all is said and done.  

I have to agree. Although I tend to feel this way every year before a snap has been taken, this time it really feels like we have a guy in charge that knows wtf he is doing. He has a plan and is sticking to it, come hell or high water. It is also really nice to see other GMs giving Idzik praise. It is all off the record of course, but there are several reports out there of anonymous compliments.

In terms of where he was picked and what he'll provide, I'm going with Brian Winters. He's supposed to be nasty, physical, and tough, but he's also huge and played a decent LT. I really like the idea of putting a mauler between Brick and Mangold--both of whom are finesse players.

Yes. Good point.  Brimming with optimism.

I like Geno cause he fills our greatest need an we can actually look forward to something this pre-season.  Entertainment value of seeing if the kid turns out good or is just another turd in our septic tank of qb's is worth the pic.  Without Geno reading the camp report about QB's would be dreadful.  

I like the Richardson pick. I like that they bypassed the consensus top two DTs and picked the one they thought was best for them. They probably would've gotten a better draft "grade," in any number of shlock blogger sites by going with the convention, but I really like them bucking the trend there. And I have a lot of faith in Rex's input on the pick, as well as in his ability to get Wilk, Coples, and Richardson on the field together to wreak havoc on the other team.

It's probably another thing I don't particularly like about the Geno pick, though. That one kinda feels like they grabbed him at #39 because everyone else thought he was worth a first round pick - even though no one bothered to take him in the first round.

1) At 39, it was crazy good value.  If we'd have gotten Sanchez at 39 originally, we could have cut him much sooner. 

2) We got our potential franchise guy without precluding the possibility we draft another QB soon if he doesn't work out.

3) One day soon, perhaps June 1st, it rids us of the stain that is Mark Sanchez.  Possibly Tebow too.  Isn't that what we all wanted?

4) I've always argued that Rex is a QB away from winning a title.  Well we went out and got the best QB prospect in the draft.  Let the experiment begin!

If we can figure out how to fit Richardson in on our crowded DL and Milliner ends up being half of Revis, I'll love those picks as well.  But for now, hard NOT to get more excited about our 2nd rounder than our two 1st's.

This kid knows his sh*t.

i like the first 3 pics but geno was a pic we could have taken 5 or 6 pics later and gotten our 4th back. we passed on a bunch of better players with the other pics

There were rumors we'd be trading UP to get Geno.  I'm thrilled we got to stay put and still get him.  You ask for too much, sir.

Just because there weren't many teams behind us looking for a QB doesn't mean someone else wasn't prepared to move up and get him.  We saw that happen in the first round with the Rams moving up to steal Tavon Austin from us.

And with Manti Te'o gone, who was going to trade up with us?  What coveted player was on the board in the early 2nd?

It's probably another thing I don't particularly like about the Geno pick, though. That one kinda feels like they grabbed him at #39 because everyone else thought he was worth a first round pick - even though no one bothered to take him in the first round.

A lot of good reasons in this thread why Geno is a good pick.  For me Slats it sorta selfish and fat.  I watch football to be entertained.  Geno intrigues me.  I will read every camp report on him with excitement.  Would have sucked to have nothing to read about except how Sanchez is really coming on against Garrard.  This shows me the team is ready to make Mark gone.  Or maybe Mark plays well enough to start and Geno come in end of the year.  Sanchez proves he;s not the answer and still enough time for us to see if Geno is the man. If not we pick ab QB next year and let Geno spend some time as a back up and possibly trade him if he improves.  

Meh.  You can't bash a pick just because someone fell.  Tons of teams passed on Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson.  

If we had Geno high on our board and liked him, tough to bash the pick for that.  When you think you can get a franchise QB in the draft, you do it.  If he doesn't work out, we can try again relatively soon, since we didn't invest an early 1st on the kid.

I'd much rather have the GM that's ballsy and proactive about this and have it fail than have watched Geno go somewhere else and turn into the next great young QB.

We've always said that drafting Sanchez isn't what got Tannenbaum fired.  It was doubling down on a failure.  So it's worth the shot to draft the kid.  

It sure beats going into camp wondering who among Garrard, Sanchez and Tebow are going to win the job.  Now that question becomes moot, and the more important question is "when does Geno get his shot?"  Makes for a much more exciting 2013 season.  That alone wasn't a reason to make the move, but it sure is a nice perk for us fans who watch football for entertainment value.

A lot of good reasons in this thread why Geno is a good pick.  For me Slats it sorta selfish and fat.  I watch football to be entertained.  Geno intrigues me.  I will read every camp report on him with excitement.  Would have sucked to have nothing to read about except how Sanchez is really coming on against Garrard.  This shows me the team is ready to make Mark gone.  Or maybe Mark plays well enough to start and Geno come in end of the year.  Sanchez proves he;s not the answer and still enough time for us to see if Geno is the man. If not we pick ab QB next year and let Geno spend some time as a back up and possibly trade him if he improves.  

Don't worry about me, lol. I didn't want Sanchez, either, but then once everyone started piling on him, I became one of his biggest defenders. It's what I do, it's a friend of the friendless kinda thing.

There were rumors we'd be trading UP to get Geno.  I'm thrilled we got to stay put and still get him.  You ask for too much, sir.

Just because there weren't many teams behind us looking for a QB doesn't mean someone else wasn't prepared to move up and get him.  We saw that happen in the first round with the Rams moving up to steal Tavon Austin from us.

And with Manti Te'o gone, who was going to trade up with us?  What coveted player was on the board in the early 2nd?

WR

I think Sanchez will be cut.  Rex sounded like an idiot yesterday talking about Sanchez.  I guess I like the Richardson pick because I knew nothing about him and went and read and watched some stuff.  This guy is a great athlete.  He is a sideline to sideline tackle for crying out loud.n   Having him is going to change the complexion of our line play, IMHO.

I liked that we didn't reach for skill positions we have holes in just to fill holes.  Reach for a player and you've still got a hole; it's just shallower.  Either way you're winning dick.  Take the best player on the board, and make sure that board doesn't have guards and centers at the top no matter how great of a prospect any of them is.  If someone doesn't pan out, then he doesn't pan out.  And prepare yourself now for everyone not working out; no one drafts 8 players and all 8 of them are still with the team in 3 years.  

Only thing I'm luke-warm about in hindsight might be Campbell. Not because I dislike him as a prospect, but because guys who are changing positions typically go undrafted.  Meaning we could have likely had him by trading down and picking him with a late 7th, or picking him up as an UDFA.  So while it's round 6 and that's pretty nitpicky, he was pick #178 not pick #200.  On the one hand you have to be true to your board, and take the next best player on your list.  But when drafting you should also be aware of where he's expected to be drafted.  Buffalo may have loved their sucky new QB more than anyone else in the draft, but that doesn't mean they had to burn the #15 pick in the country to get him.  (Same with other reach picks made by the Giants and Dallas and others).  You can take someone else who won't be there a round later and still get your guy.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Just don't know how many teams are looking to grab a project in a draft that still had solid mid-round type prospects on the board in round 6.  Naturally, if this guy turns into our RT for even just a few years, no one - including me - will lament on a point that we maybe or probably could have gotten him later.

Favorite pick was Geno because it ends the Sanchez mistake.  Or I think that's what it means.  Accomplish that, plus it's not like the kid is devoid of talent.  He might actually be as good as he was once projected to be.  If he pans out all the other picks - even other good to great ones - are gravy, frankly.

The beauty of the direction we are moving in is if Geno doesn't pan out, and we have to re-load at QB, the rest of the roster will be set.  I doubt this is a random coincidence.

This kid knows his sh*t.

Archived