So, who was your favorite pick?

T0mShane

Peeking ahead, next year's QB class is ******* putrid. Really explains the gamble on Smith this year. AJ McCarron and Tajh Boyd? Christ.

Not the biggest Boyd fan, but watching what he did to my Tigers in that chik-filet bowl was pretty impressive.  He'll transition that bowl game into a stellar year and people will be talking about how he's the second best prospect in the class due to the leagues new found love of these mobile quarterbacks.   

Couple guys that have all the physical tools in the world that could make some noise if they put it all together would be Zach Mettenberger and Logan Thomas; the later being much more of a long shot, considering there were times he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Edit: Not that I expect to be in the position to draft these guys, as I hope unless Geno plays lights out in camp, sits and learns behind Garrard until we're mathematically eliminated.  Personally, unless we make the playoffs, which obviously we all want, I wouldn't mind being just bad enough where we have a shot at Marqise Lee.  Give Geno Lee, Hill, Kerley, some TE and the running game we should have and that's how you nurture a young QB.

The O-line emphasis and that nasty FB. Time to get back to the fundamentals of what Jet Football under Rex is all about. I also like that the way the Jets drafted means that Sanchez is probably gone no matter what the Jets say in the papers. The ideal scenario would be for Sanchez and Tebow to be gone , Garrad starts for a good chunk of the season,and then the Geno Smith era begins!

It's sort of immaterial. I think we're going to be bad, but are we going to be that bad? Number 1 overall bad?

I doubt our defense will be bad enough for us to be # 1 bad.  Our defense will be pretty good, and we won't have Sanchez at QB, meaning we should be able to feast on some weak teams in the league.

In terms of where he was picked and what he'll provide, I'm going with Brian Winters. He's supposed to be nasty, physical, and tough, but he's also huge and played a decent LT. I really like the idea of putting a mauler between Brick and Mangold--both of whom are finesse players.

Winters was an awful pick. We should have had a similar player at number 9 in the first round.

It's sort of immaterial. I think we're going to be bad, but are we going to be that bad? Number 1 overall bad?

Arguments for 6+ wins:

1. Holmes could come back on his best behavior, fighting for a long-term deal.

2. Stephen Hill might actually be the Stephen Hill from the Buffalo game.

3. Coples, Richardson, Wilkerson combine for 30 sacks.

4. Garrard is Jeff Garcia.

5. Ivory is Marshawn Lynch.

6. Rex Ryan successfully sells his new vision and everyone buys in.

7. Bart Scott, Matt Slauson, Brandon Moore and Dustin Keller were all clubhouse lawyers that divided the team, maybe?

Argument for <6 wins.

1. The team realizes Rex is a lame duck and tunes him out.

2. Garrard gets blowed up and Geno Smith starts.

3. Holmes realizes he's better off going on IR rather than put up a 40 catch season playing in this offense.

4. Stephen Hill is Stephen Hill.

5. The meat grinder schedule through the first eleven weeks tears the team to shreds.

6. Marty Mornhinweg is revealed to have been Andy Reid's coffee boy.

7. The defense collapses under the weight of propping up the offense.

Not the biggest Boyd fan, but watching what he did to my Tigers in that chik-filet bowl was pretty impressive. He'll transition that bowl game into a stellar year and people will be talking about how he's the second best prospect in the class due to the leagues new found love of these mobile quarterbacks.

Couple guys that have all the physical tools in the world that could make some noise if they put it all together would be Zach Mettenberger and Logan Thomas; the later being much more of a long shot, considering there were times he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Edit: Not that I expect to be in the position to draft these guys, as I hope unless Geno plays lights out in camp, sits and learns behind Garrard until we're mathematically eliminated. Personally, unless we make the playoffs, which obviously we all want, I wouldn't mind being just bad enough where we have a shot at Marqise Lee. Give Geno Lee, Hill, Kerley, some TE and the running game we should have and that's how you nurture a young QB.

I'm kinda in love with Marqise, myself.

If 4 and 3 happened in argument for 6+ you're looking at 10+ wins. Of course, both arguments were ridiculous anyway.

I wonder what the chances are that Holmes believes his best option is IR for anything but health reasons. His reputation is at an all time low and he's an upcoming FA.

Peeking ahead, next year's QB class is ******* putrid. Really explains the gamble on Smith this year. AJ McCarron and Tajh Boyd? Christ.

I dont think there's any shot in hell Clowney doesnt go first overall barring injury

Not sure who my favorite is really...but what I do love is how Geno smith is taking away all this media coverage away from Dee and his ability to "replace" Revis. And i predict it will continue that way into training camp so hopefully Dee will have a easier transition.

Not sure who my favorite is really...but what I do love is how Geno smith is taking away all this media coverage away from Dee and his ability to "replace" Revis. And i predict it will continue that way into training camp so hopefully Dee will have a easier transition.

That's a good point and really seems to be the case. No one's talking about their two first rounders, everyone's talking about the QB. I agree, it's a good thing. I hope it continues. 

That's a good point and really seems to be the case. No one's talking about their two first rounders, everyone's talking about the QB. I agree, it's a good thing. I hope it continues. 

Yea, the media can't leave this 6 quarterback situation alone if they wanted to.

I liked that we didn't reach for skill positions we have holes in just to fill holes.  Reach for a player and you've still got a hole; it's just shallower.  Either way you're winning dick.  Take the best player on the board, and make sure that board doesn't have guards and centers at the top no matter how great of a prospect any of them is.  If someone doesn't pan out, then he doesn't pan out.  And prepare yourself now for everyone not working out; no one drafts 8 players and all 8 of them are still with the team in 3 years.  

Only thing I'm luke-warm about in hindsight might be Campbell. Not because I dislike him as a prospect, but because guys who are changing positions typically go undrafted.  Meaning we could have likely had him by trading down and picking him with a late 7th, or picking him up as an UDFA.  So while it's round 6 and that's pretty nitpicky, he was pick #178 not pick #200.  On the one hand you have to be true to your board, and take the next best player on your list.  But when drafting you should also be aware of where he's expected to be drafted.  Buffalo may have loved their sucky new QB more than anyone else in the draft, but that doesn't mean they had to burn the #15 pick in the country to get him.  (Same with other reach picks made by the Giants and Dallas and others).  You can take someone else who won't be there a round later and still get your guy.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Just don't know how many teams are looking to grab a project in a draft that still had solid mid-round type prospects on the board in round 6.  Naturally, if this guy turns into our RT for even just a few years, no one - including me - will lament on a point that we maybe or probably could have gotten him later.

Favorite pick was Geno because it ends the Sanchez mistake.  Or I think that's what it means.  Accomplish that, plus it's not like the kid is devoid of talent.  He might actually be as good as he was once projected to be.  If he pans out all the other picks - even other good to great ones - are gravy, frankly.

The Saints were very high on Campbell and drafted a smilar player at pick 183. I'm not sure Campbell makes it past 183 if the Jets don't take him at 178. The Lions were also big on him (he went to HS in Detroit, too) and had a pick at 199. I hear what you are saying, but if the Jets wanted Campbell, they probably had to take him at that spot.

I think the defense is to good for that but the idea of getting the #1, starting Geno next year and adding Clowney as somebody who can finally get to a QB has me hard as a rock, typing this with one hand.

I think the defense is to good for that but the idea of getting the #1, starting Geno next year and adding Clowney as somebody who can finally get to a QB has me hard as a rock, typing this with one hand.

Probably would be the greatest defense in the entire history of the NFL by a wide margin. 

Towards the end of the first round (25th pick+), I was hoping Jets would trade up before Eagles, Cards, Raiders or even Chiefs got a chance to draft him. I wanted Geno, just not in the top 13. When he slid to 39, it was a no brainer. He had been mocked as number 1 overall by several writers and analysts before all the QB movements started.

Milliner was slotted to go as high as 3rd. To get him at 9, it also presented value. Same with Sheldon. He was a top 10 talent we got at 13 and the way Shariff slid, it seemed like he wasn't the consensus best DT. Great job grabbing Winters and filling a desperate need. I was glad to see us use our last 6 picks on offense. TE and safety are the only two positions we didn't address (ROLB can be played by Barnes n ROLB by Pace). LBs would be just fine with our stud DL opening up holes and penetrating the OLs all year long. Mo is already a force. Coples showed he deserved his draft status n if Rich can prove to be the best DT if the draft, watch out Brady. Yes, Brady. We don't need Revis to force errant throws anymore. Eat dirt all day long, Gaydy!

I'm gonna roll with Rich as my favorite pick.

Geno, no doubt about it. Literally changed my opinion on our draft completely.

Always been of the mentality that until you have a QB, you keep trying to get one. If he busts and we have to start over, so be it. We’ll likely have our chances if he does. 1st round prospect with very little risk attached considering where we got him. Finally have a long term alternate to Sanchez and more than anything it gives me some ******* optimism that we might have our guy, even if we don’t. I’ve gone from being incredibly alienated with this whole team and its direction to actually being interested - can’t wait to see how he looks in training camp, in pre-season and see whether he’ll start right away or not.

The best part is it actually made me feel much better about the first two picks, I hated that we were neglecting our offence. But with the Geno pick, the Ivory trade and the Winters pick we’re actually finally addressing the major issues, all the while giving Rex some top defensive talent to work with. Still not a huge fan of the Milliner pick, but he could easily prove me wrong. Richardson’s going to be a beast though. With Coples and Wilkerson there, we’re going to be absolutely dominant in up front. It’s the best way to allow Harris and Davis to be effective too.

Geno was my favorite pick because of all the implied meaning behind it:

- No more, blind faith that Mark is the guy/going to get better.

- Its real competition for Mark and it sends the message that needed to be sent; you cant play that bad and expect to be just handed the job

- Hopefully, it means we never seen Mark again (doubt it though, I see him starting this season)

- Idzik stuck to his big board the entire draft and for a team is straight rebuild mode, that's the best strategy!

- The fact they didnt trade up for him, shows me Idzik knows how to play the game.

In the end, I think we're all going to love Sheldon Richardson and he might end up being the best player we selected but if you're just asking me who was my favorite pick, its Geno, no doubt about it. 

In terms of where he was picked and what he'll provide, I'm going with Brian Winters. He's supposed to be nasty, physical, and tough, but he's also huge and played a decent LT. I really like the idea of putting a mauler between Brick and Mangold--both of whom are finesse players.

Thomas. Winters maybe my 2nd fave,,,

But I think Jets finally exorcised the demons of passing on warren sapp in draft..

this kid, to me, is warren sapp all over..dynamic, disruptive, vocal in lockeroom etc etc

I think we hit a home run here

We'll see...I see Tom Brady. The game seems to slow down for him and he is very accurate with his passes.

He plays on an NFL team, but in the SEC. They'll get him into the Combine and drop him for a flimsy arm, same as Barkley.

Archived