I still believe in Mark!!!!

JollyGreen

Average? I am going to like, have to disagree with you there. Ummmmmm, yeah.

Your standard for an average QB is very high I guess. And you are basing ur opinion off of one season where Mark had the worst offensive players around him due to multiple injuries to starters, and WRs and TEs that had not started any games in the NFL before.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see how that would happen.  He makes too much money (no, it isn't guaranteed, and other than a $2M RB in March a team could cut him at any time later in the spring/summer without doing much cap damage).  But he'd have to "salvage" his career to the point that someone would be willing to pay him $11M just for 2014, in case Sanchez is inflexible in working out a new deal that pays him less.

But putting that aside as being possible, if we kept him for another year and Sanchez actually salvaged his career, the Jets would just keep him.  There is far, far more invested in Sanchez than in Geno Smith, and if he was a good QB he doesn't have a cap-busting contract for the next 3 years ($11M, $13.5M, $11.75M of new money through 2016).  In this (unrealistic in my view) fantasy, the Jets would keep Sanchez and instead trade Geno Smith for a day 2 pick.

But that's not happening either.  He will suck and then get cut, either this offseason (most likely) or after the season.  Mark's best hope for sticking around here as the unquestioned starter in 2013 is that Garrard gets hurt over the summer and that Jets don't think Smith can handle the starting duties right away, forcing them to go with Sanchez for at least the start of the season.  

But I think it's a little coincidental that almost amount of cap space cleared by Ferguson's restructure is almost the exact amount that would accelerate to 2013's cap if Sanchez was cut/traded right away.  I think it's still likely they'd do a June 2 cut (or June 2 designation if done sooner).  Even if we left those dollars unspent in 2013 and it's 6 in 1 / half dozen in the other in actual available 2014 space, sometimes it's psychological for an owner who has paid him so much that the name doesn't appear on the balance sheet next year.

The problem with this is if Smith isn't ready to be the starting QB, physically or mentally,  and Garrard pulls another one of his "can't play this season due to injury"   what do you do then?     Start McElroy?     I doubt it. So Smith is thrown to the wolves in some sink or swim fashion and if he's not ready in any capacity he winds up flaming out like many young QBs do.    But if Sanchez sucks and plays for a year,  Smith might get some reps and have a year under his belt before being thrown to the wolves on a team without any playmakers.

I know I sound crazy but I'm still rooting for him!

Why?   What have you seen that makes you think he can be a top QB and win a SB for the Jets?     I have not seen anything but that might just be me.  Rooting for him is one thing.  Another is to really believe in him.  They are vastly different.

The problem with this is if Smith isn't ready to be the starting QB, physically or mentally,  and Garrard pulls another one of his "can't play this season due to injury"   what do you do then?     Start McElroy?     I doubt it. So Smith is thrown to the wolves in some sink or swim fashion and if he's not ready in any capacity he winds up flaming out like many young QBs do.    But if Sanchez sucks and plays for a year,  Smith might get some reps and have a year under his belt before being thrown to the wolves on a team without any playmakers.

If Sucky was able to get the ball even remotely close to his receivers, perhaps they would be better at making plays.  Sucky is so inaccurate he makes the guys go nuts trying to catch his wild high passes or into the ground bloopers.

"I still believe in Mark".

And I believe in the Tooth Fairy.

The very first day the Jets drafted Mark Sanchez I never believed in him four years later I was right, 

from the moment the Jets drafted Geno Smith I believe in him, Smith will make good things happen

for us, wait watch and you'll see what am talking about

Haha you guys are pretty funny and no I will not take any posts on an online forum too seriously.

But all I'm saying is Mark has been treated pretty unfairly from many jets fans and those "highlights" prove my point. Tim catching the ball with his face? 0-line getting blown up? Bad snap from nick? Rb running wrong way?

Deff not all marks fault even tho he did nothing to make it better but I can't see having Tom Brady would changed how bad this team was on O.

Or how Geno makes it better but hey I'm just going to root for the best Qb and I believe it should and will be Mark Sanchez

Sincerely your optimistic Jet Fan

Haha you guys are pretty funny and no I will not take any posts on an online forum too seriously.

But all I'm saying is Mark has been treated pretty unfairly from many jets fans and those "highlights" prove my point. Tim catching the ball with his face? 0-line getting blown up? Bad snap from nick? Rb running wrong way?

Deff not all marks fault even tho he did nothing to make it better but I can't see having Tom Brady would changed how bad this team was on O.

Or how Geno makes it better but hey I'm just going to root for the best Qb and I believe it should and will be Mark Sanchez

Sincerely your optimistic Jet Fan

No? 

I agree with you as far as the Jets doing everything they could to derail any potential development by Sanchez, but I think the offense would've been sorta dramatically better with Tom Brady. 

Of course we root for him. He's a Jet. Why would we NOT root for him? I expect him to salvage his career n have an average yr and get traded for an early 3rd or a late 2nd day pick, while assuming Geno will take the lead. Can this be the Rivers/Brees situation? Absolutely, except, Sanchez would be under contract n Jets would get something back.

I think his career goes in the opposite direction. I bet mark is out of football entirely in 2 years and hosting the fox sports college football Saturday with joey Harrington. That or the bachelor.

It's not that Mark doesn't have enough physical skills to be a decent to good QB in the NFL. It's just that when adversity hits, or when he gets hit in the mouth, he crawls under a rock rather than get up and swing back. I don't know if that can ever change in a QB. The QB's that resurrect their careers in the NFL do not have this issue.

It's not that Mark doesn't have enough physical skills to be a decent to good QB in the NFL. It's just that when adversity hits, or when he gets hit in the mouth, he crawls under a rock rather than get up and swing back. I don't know if that can ever change in a QB. The QB's that resurrect their careers in the NFL do not have this issue.

Funny thing is, he actually did overcome adversity his first couple of seasons, leading some comebacks, making big throws.  But as soon as I say that or try and give Mark Sanchez the benefit of the doubt, which is very very very rare, I think of the butt fumble and immediately shake my head in shame.

Funny thing is, he actually did overcome adversity his first couple of seasons, leading some comebacks, making big throws.  But as soon as I say that or try and give Mark Sanchez the benefit of the doubt, which is very very very rare, I think of the butt fumble and immediately shake my head in shame.

lol. I know what you mean. The thing is he has never come back within the same game though. He played well in the playoffs - but those games generally went well from start to finish. I think the tipping point last year seemed to be the Pitt game when Harrison hit him. He never seemed to recover from that. Anytime he struggles within a game, he never seems to be able to shake it off and come back from it. 

lol. I know what you mean. The thing is he has never come back within the same game though. He played well in the playoffs - but those games generally went well from start to finish. I think the tipping point last year seemed to be the Pitt game when Harrison hit him. He never seemed to recover from that. Anytime he struggles within a game, he never seems to be able to shake it off and come back from it. 

Yeah, thats true.  He usually compounds his bad games with even more boneheaded sh*t.  

Butt fumble. 

Who knows.  I think he's done, but it doesn't take much.  Ask Alex Smith.   He was far more ridiculed and called a bust by everybody.   And Harbaugh picked a QB whom he wanted to be the guy. Some people thought Harbaugh was going to bring back Troy Smith over Alex Smith.   And Smith was terrible.  He was a bust. Who really says Sanchez is a bust?  They just say he sucks.   

Somehow someway,  Smith had a comeback season, made it to the NFC Championship game and really is the starting QB for the Chiefs because of it. Last year he was doing well, but got hurt early and never played again.   

Alex Smith was considered far worse a QB and far more a bust than Sanchez ever was and somehow he came back and people in KC have faith he'll do something for them.  Whether that happens or not is another story, but he's still a starting QB in the NFL after having like 6 years of horrible bust like QB performance and one season of being decent but more of a let the defense win kind of season.  

So really, if Sanchez throws has a season of 55 percent completion,  15 TDs  8 INTs,   3000 yards and the Jets finish 7-9 or 8-8,  more than a few teams would trade for him.   And if Geno Smith doesn't impress the jets in practice, he might come back for another year as a Jet.    

Will any of this happen?  I doubt it, but then again, who thought Alex Smith would still be a starting QB in the nfl?

Who knows.  I think he's done, but it doesn't take much.  Ask Alex Smith.   He was far more ridiculed and called a bust by everybody.   And Harbaugh picked a QB whom he wanted to be the guy. Some people thought Harbaugh was going to bring back Troy Smith over Alex Smith.   And Smith was terrible.  He was a bust. Who really says Sanchez is a bust?  They just say he sucks.   

Somehow someway,  Smith had a comeback season, made it to the NFC Championship game and really is the starting QB for the Chiefs because of it. Last year he was doing well, but got hurt early and never played again.   

Alex Smith was considered far worse a QB and far more a bust than Sanchez ever was and somehow he came back and people in KC have faith he'll do something for them.  Whether that happens or not is another story, but he's still a starting QB in the NFL after having like 6 years of horrible bust like QB performance and one season of being decent but more of a let the defense win kind of season.  

It is very similar. It would be great if this happens. Alex Smith always handled himself as a professional should though. He never had Jeff Garcia fight the battles for him and he never threw teamates under the bus. Still, it is possible,

It is very similar. It would be great if this happens. Alex Smith always handled himself as a professional should though. He never had Jeff Garcia fight the battles for him and he never threw teamates under the bus. Still, it is possible,

Thats more on Garcia.  He hired a guy to help him out, maybe he said a few things in private, Garcia just had a big mouth. I'm not blaming Sanchez for that.

And while Smith was beyond professional, especially after what happened last season,  I'm not sure Sanchez was terrible.  He didn't really come out and bash anybody when he was benched.  He didn't really come out and complain about Tebow being signed last year.     He didn't complain about being taken out at times for a Tebow up the middle run.     I'd say that was as professional as he was going to get.  Plus when Holmes trashed him, he didn't really come out and say all that much.

He's kind of one of those guys. Not a big mouth.  Problem he has is he's from USC and known as a pretty boy on magazine covers.  He also had a coach who got a tattoo of him.   So there are a lot of things with Sanchez that really have nothing to do with Sanchez.  But it's similar to Tebow in that it's more about the 'celebrity' status compared to attitude.       Sanchez became a celebrity for no other reason than being the QB for the NY Jets who lucked into a playoff run his rookie year and got to be on magazine covers.   

Last year was one of those WTF years though.   Butt fumble, other odd plays, and it was apparent the guy had no confidence.   It reminds me, in a different way, of Pennington years ago.  Pennington was one of the smartest players, but he'd throw a pick and suddenly he was shot the rest of a game.  It ate at him. Other QBs like Favre or Manning could throw 5 picks in a game and still throw 5 TDs and win it.   Pennington just thought too much and at times lacked confidence to be elite.  Sanchez isn't Pennington, but he has that confidence issue.  And it was obvious with the Manning conversations and the Tebow signing, he just went south in a hurry.   And it got worse and worse as the team stunk, he stunk and fans were bashing him.      You could say it's similar to vince Young.   He got depressed, lost faith, and was just done.  He came back for the Eagles and sucked.   

Maybe a better coaching staff helps him, but who knows.  Sometimes you cant' fix mental issues.   Sometimes arrogance is annoying, but it pushes athletes. When that arrogance turns into nothing but self doubt and confidence issues and a shrink can't fix it, you're probably done in professional sports.  Sanchez might be at that level. And he was never really that good.

Your standard for an average QB is very high I guess. And you are basing ur opinion off of one season where Mark had the worst offensive players around him due to multiple injuries to starters, and WRs and TEs that had not started any games in the NFL before.

See, that's the thing about evaluating whether someone is "average"-- you don't need a standard. All you have to do is rank all the QBs and the middle third are average by definition. Mark is in the bottom third of my list, making him more than one standard deviation from the middle and less than average amongst comparators.

Standards come in to play when you are saying this guy is good or that guy is bad, some people might be too strict in saying what defines each and too narrowly define the category and exclude guys who many think should be there. But everyone's list will have a middle, so you can't say someone is too strict in labeling guys average, only that you disagree with his ordering. If you think mark is average i would love to hear the ten or so starting QBs from last season that you think are worse.

So really, if Sanchez throws has a season of 55 percent completion,  15 TDs  8 INTs,   3000 yards and the Jets finish 7-9 or 8-8,  more than a few teams would trade for him.   And if Geno Smith doesn't impress the jets in practice, he might come back for another year as a Jet.    

Will any of this happen?  I doubt it, but then again, who thought Alex Smith would still be a starting QB in the nfl?

Who's trading for Sanchez? Seriously. 

And completing 55% of his passes would just be continued suckiness. He's QB'ing a WCO this year. He should be connecting on 63% of his passes at a bare minimum. But he's not going to come close to that. He's got the dual problem of being inaccurate himself, and having Hill and Cumberland as his starters.

I don't think the Jets want Sanchez winning the starting job. They were afraid to start him at home last year. Sanchez will hear the boos as soon as he steps out on the field in the preseason, and the cheers for David Garrard (yes, cheers for David Garrard) will be riotous, and the cheers for Geno will be deafening. Sanchez' biggest problem -far and away- is mental. His psyche has no chance of repairing itself for as long as he remains a member of the Jets. And the Jets forcing him out there in hopes of getting some trade value for him in 2014 is a pipe dream. One that will set the franchise back. They'll need to see Geno Smith out there, preferably in games that have some consequence, so they'll know what they're doing at the QB position next year. 

See, that's the thing about evaluating whether someone is "average"-- you don't need a standard. All you have to do is rank all the QBs and the middle third are average by definition. Mark is in the bottom third of my list, making him more than one standard deviation from the middle and less than average amongst comparators.

Standards come in to play when you are saying this guy is good or that guy is bad, some people might be too strict in saying what defines each and too narrowly define the category and exclude guys who many think should be there. But everyone's list will have a middle, so you can't say someone is too strict in labeling guys average, only that you disagree with his ordering. If you think mark is average i would love to hear the ten or so starting QBs from last season that you think are worse.

Still waitin on that list

bueller_stein.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgkr46cnAt8

On the overwhelming majority of these facepalm-worthy obscenities there is a minimum of one receiver open just in the small area of the screen we can see on camera.

Keep watching this until it sinks in just how bad he is.  He is worse than Smith, who had at least started to turn the corner a bit by year 4 where Sanchez regressed.  The interceptions mostly went away after his 2nd season (though he was still awful his 3rd year).  Plus Smith - hideous as he was as a rookie - took over at QB for the worst team in football with a 7th round rookie left tackle, a crappy ground game, and fewer receiving options than Sanchez ever had.   Sanchez walked right into a playoff team with the NFL's premiere OL and actually lost a football game when his RBs ran for well over 300 rushing yards and the defense good enough to hold up despite 5 interceptions in regulation.  Just atrocious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mlx6LJPMBk

Look how open Hill is at :25 below.  Tell me more about separation and how nobody is ever open.

This happens every game.  Just that they don't usually make highlight (lowlight) reels because they're merely incomplete passes.

Useless.

Archived