Idzik Gameplan 101

SouthernJet

my thoughts are that we will eventually eat Sanchez cap in 2013. Whether he is off team or on pine or a one year plays a bit guy, who cares. His absence makes the Jets stronger locker room wise IMHO.

So lets say Idzik is thinking, "hey wit ha decent D, you never freakin know. I will start Garrard until such time Jets are not in playoff contention. At that point, its Geno time".

Sounds fair to me. Disclaimer: If we keep Sanchez insert Sanchez/Garrard above wherever Garrard's name appears.

My guess is Sanchez will be kept around for a while throughout camp/preseason as insurance in case Garrard continues to have health issues AND they feel Geno is not ready to step in at the beginning of the year.  If Garrard is what they hope he is, I'd imagine they try to move Sanchez one way or another.

Woody doesn't want to pay for a guy who is on vacation or on another team.   And they signed a QB who hasn't played since 2010 due to injuries.  

So if they cut Sanchez now,  Garrard can't play or sits out another season,  you have McElroy and Smith.   Smith gets the nod, but do you want to throw him to the wolves?   He has talent, but is he ready to be the starting QB from day one?   And put up with whatever comes the Jets way.   He might not be a top 10 pick, but Smith starting day one for whatever reason,  he will be treated like he's a top pick.

I don't see it.  I read all the crap about reps, but big ******* deal.  We've known Tebow would be gone by the draft one way or the other since the end of the season. McElroy doesn't deserve any reps.  Right now we have 3 QBs with any chance as far as I'm concerned.  Sanchez has been bad, but at least there was some potential there.  I don't see why he's a distraction.  If he is better than the others he deserves to play, if he isn't who is he going to distract?  It's not like he is an aging Joe Montana holding back Steve Young. 

I don't see it.  I read all the crap about reps, but big ******* deal.  We've known Tebow would be gone by the draft one way or the other since the end of the season. McElroy doesn't deserve any reps.  Right now we have 3 QBs with any chance as far as I'm concerned.  Sanchez has been bad, but at least there was some potential there.  I don't see why he's a distraction.  If he is better than the others he deserves to play, if he isn't who is he going to distract?  It's not like he is an aging Joe Montana holding back Steve Young. 

I agree.  This isn't like last year where Sanchez was the spoiled QB who had to look over his shoulder.   The future is either Smith or it isn't, but he's going to get his shot at some point.  Sanchez is just here for a year and will be cut.  Everybody knows this.  If he starts, who cares. Nobody thinks Smith should start and Garrard is an unknown due to injuries.    If Smith is the best QB,  what is Sanchez going to say?   At this point he has nothing to say.

My guess is Sanchez will be kept around for a while throughout camp/preseason as insurance in case Garrard continues to have health issues AND they feel Geno is not ready to step in at the beginning of the year.  If Garrard is what they hope he is, I'd imagine they try to move Sanchez one way or another.

This sounds like what they are going to do.

Here's the problem with these game plan. If we are starting garrard then geno we will be probably be one of the worst teams . If u have the top pick its clowny no doubt but at 2 it's the kid from Louisville or Johnny football . Then what do u do? Pick another QB because he's BPA and will be better than geno ? Jets are in a no win situation here

Here's the problem with these game plan. If we are starting garrard then geno we will be probably be one of the worst teams . If u have the top pick its clowny no doubt but at 2 it's the kid from Louisville or Johnny football . Then what do u do? Pick another QB because he's BPA and will be better than geno ? Jets are in a no win situation here

If Geno is so good that the Jets would pass up a top QB prospect in 2014, they probably won't have the second pick in the draft to worry about such a thing. 

my thoughts are that we will eventually eat Sanchez cap in 2013. Whether he is off team or on pine or a one year plays a bit guy, who cares. His absence makes the Jets stronger locker room wise IMHO.

So lets say Idzik is thinking, "hey wit ha decent D, you never freakin know. I will start Garrard until such time Jets are not in playoff contention. At that point, its Geno time".

Sounds fair to me. Disclaimer: If we keep Sanchez insert Sanchez/Garrard above wherever Garrard's name appears.

Coming to Charlotte for the game this year.  At some point, need some Food/Drink reco's.

If Garrard is healthy our offensive problems will not be because of him IMO.  He was beating out tannenhill before he was injured in preseason last year and went to the probowl the last time he was healthy(2 years before that, he missed the year before last due to injury).

If Garrard is healthy our offensive problems will not be because of him IMO.  He was beating out tannenhill before he was injured in preseason last year and went to the probowl the last time he was healthy(2 years before that, he missed the year before last due to injury).

agree. .which is why I think jets wait and see how season unfolds with our decent Defense and Garrard. if we are in the hunt, he stays,,,once we are eliminated and Geno is doing OK at practice) then Garrard becomes backup/mentor to Geno.

I agree with this and why I like Idzik so much. He can care less about what people think. Its competition and he's shown (just look at the draft) that he will not stray away from the plan. If Sanchez is the best QB we have to add competition for the position then there's no point of cutting him because it only does a disservice to the team. The team only seems like a circus in the media. Idzik I believe will make the point of not listening/following what is being said in the media. Let Sanchez/Garrard/Smith duke it out and whomever is the best QB should play, but when it comes to Smith he has to be miles ahead of the competition in order to play. If Smith slightly beats out the other two QB's then he should still sit and learn the system and let the close second QB play. 

Ah, but the labor tied to that money hasn't been performed. Woody has a business mind, and businessmen don't pay for air.

Yeah, I hear that. This would be one of those moves that would scream, "wow, there really is a new sheriff in town!" I do think it's possible. Would take Garrard playing well and staying healthy, and Smith looking just about ready to start in the preseason. 

I don't see it. I read all the crap about reps, but big ******* deal. We've known Tebow would be gone by the draft one way or the other since the end of the season. McElroy doesn't deserve any reps. Right now we have 3 QBs with any chance as far as I'm concerned. Sanchez has been bad, but at least there was some potential there. I don't see why he's a distraction. If he is better than the others he deserves to play, if he isn't who is he going to distract? It's not like he is an aging Joe Montana holding back Steve Young.

Gotta agree but it would feel so right to cut Sanchez.

This isnt a problem. The problem is that the NFL has forgotten that they must develop players, especially QB's. Now that you're not giving a rookie a 60 million dollar contract simply for coming out of college then it is fiscally possible to pass on Johnny football in order to develop your QB. If we missed on Clowney thats fine, we can either trade down or pick up a player that can fill a hole. We still need safeties, LB's and TE's. 

Truth be told, Johnny Football looks like another Tim Tebow. 

Yeah, I hear that. This would be one of those moves that would scream, "wow, there really is a new sheriff in town!" I do think it's possible. Would take Garrard playing well and staying healthy, and Smith looking just about ready to start in the preseason.

IMO, really goes back to what we believe Idzik's expectations are for this season. I think (as I've repeated non-stop) he could care less if we won a game in 2013, and is using this year to purge the system. I know you don't agree, necessarily. Keeping Sanchez doesn't necessarily compromise that plan, and it lets Woody go to bed at night knowing that Sanchez isn't using his money to buy a sweet condo in Napa.

IMO, really goes back to what we believe Idzik's expectations are for this season. I think (as I've repeated non-stop) he could care less if we won a game in 2013, and is using this year to purge the system. I know you don't agree, necessarily. Keeping Sanchez doesn't necessarily compromise that plan, and it lets Woody go to bed at night knowing that Sanchez isn't using his money to buy a sweet condo in Napa.

Nothing would purge the old system like dumping Sanchez. He's a serious albatross on this team right now. Nothing about winning in 2013 -because I do agree with you that wins this year aren't his focus- but that the damage Sanchez will continue to do to the locker room is damaging to the future of the team - and that's something Idzik certainly cares about. 

This is a QB they were openly afraid of starting at home at the end of the year. The most casual Jet fans equate the kid with buttfumble. There are a lot of reasons to dump him. I understand the 8.25M reasons not to, but talk about addition by subtraction...

Nothing would purge the old system like dumping Sanchez. He's a serious albatross on this team right now. Nothing about winning in 2013 -because I do agree with you that wins this year aren't his focus- but that the damage Sanchez will continue to do to the locker room is damaging to the future of the team - and that's something Idzik certainly cares about.

This is a QB they were openly afraid of starting at home at the end of the year. The most casual Jet fans equate the kid with buttfumble. There are a lot of reasons to dump him. I understand the 8.25M reasons not to, but talk about addition by subtraction...

Well stated. I suppose what it will come down to is whether or not Idzik can sell Woody on the idea that the benefits of removing Sanchez is worth $8.5m. If I were Idzik, I'd convince Woody that removing Sanchez could result in improving Rex's standing in the locker room by eliminating the Golden Child. Rallying around Sanchez likely cost Rex a lot of credibility among the other 52 players.

I think there is plenty of incentive for the Jets to give Sanchez a chance to prove himself - even if it for only one year. Trade value this year even if we have to eat part of his 2013 salary

There is also plenty of incentive for Sanchez to prove himself - even if it only for this year. Future employment opportunities and contract value.

So we should not cut Sanchez till we see what we got value-wise and what we can get in exchange.

As for the circus, what should we do with Tone?

Sanchez and Rex are joined at the hip. Sanchez will be gone after this season and Rex right behind him. Rex just said that he still sticking with Sanchez and that they have won more playoff games than the Patriots during their time together. Idzik can hang Rex by keeping Sanchez and set himself up for next season.

The best thing that could happen to the Jets is to go 2011 Colts on this season and be in line to grab Teddy Bridgewater next draft. Bridgewater would set the Jets up for a decade at QB because he is truly a franchise QB like A Luck or RG3. You have to have a franchise QB to win the Super Bowl. Theres no way around it.The Trent Dilfer way was the exception to the rule and the NFL has changed since then.

2014 the Jets would have a new HC picked by Idzik, a real franchise QB and salary cap flush with space. If that future isnt bright, I dont know what is.

I don't tthink Sanchez will be cut because deep down, I thnk Idzik feels that Mark might have some talent.  I think he wants to see how he reacts to the West Coast offense which should utilize his skills better than whatever it is that Sparano was doing last year.  The only thing worse than the "circus" created from keeping Mark around is having him leave and blossom with a different west coast team while we are paying the bulk of his salary.  If you are going to be paying him anyway, why not see if you can get anything out of him?

sadly, literally nothing was said that was remotely interesting.  kept to his mantra of competition at every position.  Maintained that they went BPA during the draft and were not going to be swayed by need. 

sadly, literally nothing was said that was remotely interesting.  kept to his mantra of competition at every position.  Maintained that they went BPA during the draft and were not going to be swayed by need. 

It's all part of the plan to wean us, and then makes us fiend for the Rex!

Well stated. I suppose what it will come down to is whether or not Idzik can sell Woody on the idea that the benefits of removing Sanchez is worth $8.5m. If I were Idzik, I'd convince Woody that removing Sanchez could result in improving Rex's standing in the locker room by eliminating the Golden Child. Rallying around Sanchez likely cost Rex a lot of credibility among the other 52 players.

I think it will come entirely down to Garrard in preseason.  If he looks good out there, Woody will be thrilled and that will be enough for everyone associated with this team, even Woody, to want Sanchez gone.  If Garrard looks bad or has more health issues that changes everything, because no matter how good Geno ends up looking, they're not going to head into the season with him as their only viable option.

I think Idzik's plan is to put the best team possible on the field while getting finances in order.  Shocking!  

Best news yet.

Archived