Salary Cap question...

AVM

Im realistic, and chances are it wont happen, but lets say, for instance, that mawae and curtis take cuts next year, we cut law, fabini, and fiedler, but we DO resign abe to a long term deal(which from what i can gather, helps the cap b/c of his large salary this year)---are we still in horrible shape, or is that doable then?

Im realistic, and chances are it wont happen, but lets say, for instance, that mawae and curtis take cuts next year, we cut law, fabini, and fiedler, but we DO resign abe to a long term deal(which from what i can gather, helps the cap b/c of his large salary this year)---are we still in horrible shape, or is that doable then?

I can't find all the information about everyone, but here are some things that will help you out..

Cut - Savings

Law - 1.405M if all the information I see is right

Fabini - 3.2M (he's gone)

Fiedler - from what I hear, 5.1M

Chrebet - (if there is a new CBA) 1.3M

Mawae will count 4.467M on the cap next year. 1.13M if we cut him. if he restructures, that extends him and you need to think about that. The potential savings for restructuring Mawae is... my ballpark guess, 1.8M

Abraham to a long term deal doesn't help the cap because he's not on it right now for 2006. However, all those 25-30M over estimates you hear count him at 8.008M. A new deal would probably count around 4-4.5M, unless therer is a new CBA, then it would be around 3-3.5M. That's a potential 5M savings

The big kicker is Pennington. Cutting him doesn't help the cap one bit. However, his deal was DEFINITELY structured, from the looks of it, to trigger a restructure right now. The Jets could save 8M on the cap for Pennington for next year if:

1) They delay his roster bonus until 2007

2) They turn his 6M base salary into a bonus

3) There is a new CBA.

A new CBA would save us more here since the 6M count be extended through 6 years reducing 6M to 1M. The roster bonus is 3M, so there is your 8M. Without a new CBA, the 6M can only extend for 4 seasons, so we'd save 7.5M

I also think Curtis Martin, with his 2.2M savings, would either be cut or restructured/pay cut.

Dewayne Robertson is another guy with a big deal because of escalators for 2006. If he's restructured, that would lower his hit by about 5-5.5M I think too.

Basically, our cap situation is fixable, but it will take a LOT of work.

Archived