I'm excited about the Jets again. Dammit, just.....dammit.

Jetsfan80

Anyone else feel like they've been sucked back in by the Jets in the aftermath of the draft?

Before the draft, Mark Sanchez was pencilled in as the starter pending the health and effectiveness of David Garrard.  While the idea of Garrard, or anyone else, winning the job was preferable by a longshot, it wasn't exactly a result that screamed "bigtime storyline" or a "game-changer".  Sanchez starting meant an unwatchable season and waiting until the 2014 draft for that top 5 pick.  Garrard starting made the season only barely watchable.....and still waiting for that 2014 top 5 draft pick.

But now....

Tebow is gone.  Sanchez's trade or release seems imminent.  Whatever Sanchez's fate, it's a "when" not "if" for Geno Smith's time behind center.  We might actually have a future at the QB position that won't have to wait until 2014.

And just by residual effect, the idea of a potential franchise QB makes the whole roster look just a little bit better.  I questioned the 1st round draft choices on the first night of the draft, thanks in part to the beer and a sense that we were NOT, in fact, taking BPA (we were).  But starting the day after and increasing as time went on, my approval of the entire draft, not just the Geno pick, has gone way up. 

If Geno is the goods, our trio of Holmes-Kerley-Hill looks way better.  The offensive line looks like it has plenty of bodies to protect him.  We have more talent at RB than perhaps we've ever had under the Rex era.  And on the other side of the ball, if Coples-Wilkerson-Richardson play up to potential, we're scary once again.

I'm finding it hard not to like what Idzik has already done.  But we're Jets fans.  So waiting for the other shoe to drop is what we do.  How much should I be tempering my expectations?  Give me some reasons to be pessimistic.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Offensively Im excited to see Ivory run and that's about it. Geno isnt ready yet. Garrard is good at handing off.

Defense should be ok. Still a bad team on paper though regardless of Sanchez being here or not. If they can mirror the 2009 team I guess 9 wins in plausible. 

Still need to revamp the skill positions.

Not looking at Revis as a net loss since he didn't play last year the Jets have strengthened their secondary, front 7, OL, RBs and QB positions with nearly no cap space to speak of.

Nothing not to like from Idzik. I'll be keeping a close eye on Keenan Allen's career as he was there for the taking in the 3rd round but Winters was a solid pick at a pos of need.

I don't think we're better in the secondary after losing Landry and Bell, but Milliner obviously improves us at CB over what we had from last year.  Overall I think we will miss Landry and Bell, though.  Everywhere else you are correct, we are better. 

If Geno performs well or hell if Sanchez does a 180 from last year and holmes doesn't act like a lil btch this season I will be very into it.  More than confident Ivory will be a beast for us so not much concern there.  I hope our OL gets it together with the new draft picks and free agent pick up and we can put out a decent OL every week.  Defense I feel will do well enough as is to compete every week.  

Not looking at Revis as a net loss since he didn't play last year the Jets have strengthened their secondary, front 7, OL, RBs and QB positions with nearly no cap space to speak of.

Nothing not to like from Idzik. I'll be keeping a close eye on Keenan Allen's career as he was there for the taking in the 3rd round but Winters was a solid pick at a pos of need.

Wanted Keenan, BAD!

You are supposed to feel that way.  This is a "rebuilding" year. Expectations are supposed to be low and we are supposed to be happy to see what some young guns have.  The interesting thing about it from my perspective is the coach.  Most teams in this situaion have the coach in place and you can see the direction. For the people that hate Rex that will make this a strange ride.  For the rest of us that either like Rex (me) or can take him or leave him you just root for development and direction and the team will provide some happiness.

You are supposed to feel that way.  This is a "rebuilding" year. Expectations are supposed to be low and we are supposed to be happy to see what some young guns have.  The interesting thing about it from my perspective is the coach.  Most teams in this situaion have the coach in place and you can see the direction. For the people that hate Rex that will make this a strange ride.  For the rest of us that either like Rex (me) or can take him or leave him you just root for development and direction and the team will provide some happiness.

It's hard to tell where Rex stands.  It's the last year of his deal, but why give him a rookie QB to start over with if he's on his way out the door?  Or is Idzik just trying to make this an attractive destination for the next coach?  So confused.  But aroused.

Last time my expectations were low we had a rookie head-coach and quarterback that sneaked into the playoffs and set me up for a roller-coaster of four years.  I'm not sure I can handle my expectations being low again.  Although when they're high, we usually suck. Dammit.

Anyone else feel like they've been sucked back in by the Jets in the aftermath of the draft?

Before the draft, Mark Sanchez was pencilled in as the starter pending the health and effectiveness of David Garrard.  While the idea of Garrard, or anyone else, winning the job was preferable by a longshot, it wasn't exactly a result that screamed "bigtime storyline" or a "game-changer".  Sanchez starting meant an unwatchable season and waiting until the 2014 draft for that top 5 pick.  Garrard starting made the season only barely watchable.....and still waiting for that 2014 top 5 draft pick.

But now....

Tebow is gone.  Sanchez's trade or release seems imminent.  Whatever Sanchez's fate, it's a "when" not "if" for Geno Smith's time behind center.  We might actually have a future at the QB position that won't have to wait until 2014.

And just by residual effect, the idea of a potential franchise QB makes the whole roster look just a little bit better.  I questioned the 1st round draft choices on the first night of the draft, thanks in part to the beer and a sense that we were NOT, in fact, taking BPA (we were).  But starting the day after and increasing as time went on, my approval of the entire draft, not just the Geno pick, has gone way up. 

If Geno is the goods, our trio of Holmes-Kerley-Hill looks way better.  The offensive line looks like it has plenty of bodies to protect him.  We have more talent at RB than perhaps we've ever had under the Rex era.  And on the other side of the ball, if Coples-Wilkerson-Richardson play up to potential, we're scary once again.

I'm finding it hard not to like what Idzik has already done.  But we're Jets fans.  So waiting for the other shoe to drop is what we do.  How much should I be tempering my expectations?  Give me some reasons to be pessimistic.

This is what I'm talking about!!! I love it, Jet football baby, other teams better watch out! We comin!

I like the moves that they have made. It is only a start though, and the is a lot to do yet. Fortify in teh trenches is a good start, and that is what Idzik has done.

The offense will struggle (A LOT), and I know that the defense although high in rankings last year, was never tested greatly. The offense will not be as bad as last year, nor will the defense be as good.

Chalk it up to a year of learning and getting the next real coach in.

Chalk it up to a year of learning and getting the next real coach in.

SD you are delusional. Did you miss the first round of the draft? That was a Rex Ryan draft if I've ever seen one. 

as for the fans who are "coming back" to the Jets, get real. We never left.

But now....

Dont let the negativity of this place get to you.  And dont let the historical shortcomings of the Jets let you down.  You're fan, you should be excited about the prospect of your team improving and moving along from a hard season to watch.  You should be excited about the upcoming season because you love Football and you love the Jets.  You have no control over what happens on the field or behind the scenes.  The only thing you can control is the team you root for and that happens to be the Jets.  It could be worse.  

Besides, we're in the very capable of hands of Rex Ryan for a long long time.  Him and Idzik are going to achieve greatness.  You should be excited despite what all these idiots around here say.

Go Jets!

I'm not on board with this draft at all.

There were 6 positions which were practically SCREAMING for an upgrade: QB, G, S, OLB, WR and TE.

-They addressed QB well, this was a weak draft but Geno in the 2nd was good value.

-They addressed G very well, picking a number of mid-low round guards, possibly even a future tackle if the case should arise.

However, in a draft with 8 picks, they only addressed 2 of their 6 major needs overall. That's a fail. Kyle Wilson is at least a league average #2 corner, despite our distorted perceptions on the matter. We had at least a league average d-line IMO with 3 up and comers in Wilkerson, Coples and Ellis. An upgrade was fine at each of these spots, but it's a luxury more than a necessity.

If you're happy about this draft, let me put it this way: going into the 2014 draft, what will be our top 2 positions of need? OLB and WR. AGAIN. For about 5 years now, those have been huge positions of need and we could have done something at those positions this year. Now it's another year away.

I'm excited to see progress.  I doubt this will be a good season by record standards, but I've been calling for this rebuild for some time now, and I'm satisfied with how it started.

I have my doubts about Geno, but when it comes to college, I really don't have a clue.  But, if he's a player, we could be a very good team in the not too distant future.

There were 6 positions which were practically SCREAMING for an upgrade: QB, G, S, OLB, WR and TE.

-They addressed QB well, this was a weak draft but Geno in the 2nd was good value.

-They addressed G very well, picking a number of mid-low round guards, possibly even a future tackle if the case should arise.

However, in a draft with 8 picks, they only addressed 2 of their 6 major needs overall. That's a fail. Kyle Wilson is at least a league average #2 corner, despite our distorted perceptions on the matter. We had at least a league average d-line IMO with 3 up and comers in Wilkerson, Coples and Ellis. An upgrade was fine at each of these spots, but it's a luxury more than a necessity.

If you're happy about this draft, let me put it this way: going into the 2014 draft, what will be our top 2 positions of need? OLB and WR. AGAIN. For about 5 years now, those have been huge positions of need and we could have done something at those positions this year. Now it's another year away.

I have a simple response to this.  Drafting for need sucks monkey balls. 

there were  3 pass rushers and the top WR drafted before 9. The Jets took the best players available. Which is better than reaching for need.

But now....

Santonio is still here?

there were  3 pass rushers and the top WR drafted before 9. The Jets took the best players available. Which is better than reaching for need.

Yep

After the first two days I was upset, but when I thought about it, they stayed true to their plan and took BAP.  Both Miliner, and Richardson, are going to be good players.  At least as a second round pick the Jets can walk away from Smith next year. 

However, in a draft with 8 picks, they only addressed 2 of their 6 major needs overall. That's a fail. 

Drafting for need is dumb. That's how you wind up drafting a kicker in the second round. 

This is a two year tear down/rebuild project. The Jets are still in phase one. Next year they'll have more picks (where they should continue the BAP approach), and a sh*tload of cap room to address specific needs with proven NFL players. Patience in key. 

so who is making the QB decisions this season?     Is it Rex, Marty, or Idzik?   

Not to beat the dead horse here but you draft for BAP and fill holes through FA.  Further, the Jets have a need....everywhere!  Addressing all their holes in 1 draft/offseason is impossible and foolish because you end up reaching or signing sh*t.  

It's hard to tell where Rex stands.  It's the last year of his deal, but why give him a rookie QB to start over with if he's on his way out the door?  Or is Idzik just trying to make this an attractive destination for the next coach?  So confused.  But aroused.

Even if Idzik thinks he might want to send Rex packing on next year, you don't pass on what you think could potentially be a franchise QB when you don't have one, because of that.  They are two completely independent decisions that you can't let be influenced by one another, as they are both too important to be dictated by an unrelated set of circumstances.

SD you are delusional. Did you miss the first round of the draft? That was a Rex Ryan draft if I've ever seen one. 

as for the fans who are "coming back" to the Jets, get real. We never left.

Ok Bit, You said the Jets couldn't  trade Revis, yet I am the delusional one.

The Jets love Rex so much that they have offered him up a big fat extension, haven't they? You are always one of the last ones to arrive at the party ;)

Where did I say anything about fans?

so who is making the QB decisions this season?     Is it Rex, Marty, or Idzik?   

Might be an interesting way to determine who is actually in charge.  There are plenty of clues that Rex is here to stay and that Rex is a complete lame duck.  It will be interesting to see which way it falls, but if you are willing to give him a chance with a fairly short leash, then it should be a fun season.  I would prefer the coaches decide myself, but I'd be nervous about them ******* up Geno trying to get wins quick and giving themselves a built in excuse for losing. 

Archived