Rex: Jets will see the best Mark Sanchez 'they've ever seen'

Jetsfan80

Ugh.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/5/1/4288380/mark-sanchez-jets-rex-ryan

158819615.0_standard_709.0.jpg

The New York Jets have a quarterback controversy on their hands, though most would agree they needed one a couple seasons ago. Quarterback Mark Sanchez has been ... poor since being drafted by the team. This offseason is the first time they've legitimately brought in some competition for him to push him to improve.

That competition comes in the form of dependable (when healthy) veteranDavid Garrard and second-round rookie Geno Smith out of West Virginia.

Many feel like Smith will win the competition handily and earn the Week 1 starting job, especially given just how much Sanchez has struggled lately. That said, the Jets are expecting Sanchez to rise to the occasion and make the competition interesting. As noted at NJ.com, head coach Rex Ryan expects that the public will see the "best Sanchez they've ever seen."

Unfortunately, that's not an altogether impressive statement. Last season, Sanchez had miserable stats, with 2,883 yards, 13 touchdowns, 18 interceptions, too many fumbles to count and a paltry 54.3 completion percentage. As far as his "best" goes, he did have 26 touchdowns to 18 interceptions in 2011, but still had a 56.7 completion percentage.

So perhaps we will see the best Sanchez we've ever seen to this point, but even given that random resurgence, Smith would still probably be the favorite to win the job. At this point, many in the fanbase believe Garrard would beat Sanchez, and the long-time veteran makes more sense to mentor Smith, regardless. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perfect example of a quote being taken out of context.

Rex was replying to a season ticket holder during a conference call who said he's a Sanchez believer and that the competition amongst the QB's will bring out the best in Sanchez.

Rex was more or less was parroting the guys point and said he also believes the competition will bring out the best in Mark.  The way it reads above makes it sound as if Rex volunteered that statement unprovoked.  Shady tactic no doubt meant to elicit the types of responses in this thread.

For the record I also believe Mark will be a hell of a lot better than he was last year.  Whether or not that's enough to beat out Garrard is left to be seen.

It doesn't matter what context it's taken in because everybody knows Rex loves Sanchez for whatever reason.   He's going to praise the guy no matter what. I mean last year Sanchez was one of the biggest jokes as a QB and he still paraded the guy out there to finish the season.   I just hope this doesn't turn into an Alex Smith like year without the wins.   Because Harbaugh was all in with Kapernick.   I have no clue whether or not Rex likes Smith.  Every chance he gets, he praises Sanchez no matter what.    It's like he's the guys father or something who can never admit weaknesses and faults.   It's is just really odd.

Perfect example of a quote being taken out of context.

Rex was replying to a season ticket holder during a conference call who said he's a Sanchez believer and that the competition amongst the QB's will bring out the best in Sanchez.

Rex was more or less was parroting the guys point and said he also believes the competition will bring out the best in Mark.  The way it reads above makes it sound as if Rex volunteered that statement unprovoked.  Shady tactic no doubt meant to elicit the types of responses in this thread.

For the record I also believe Mark will be a hell of a lot better than he was last year.  Whether or not that's enough to beat out Garrard is left to be seen.

you damage control bastard

just admit it already

Sanchez is the man !!!

Ugh.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/5/1/4288380/mark-sanchez-jets-rex-ryan

158819615.0_standard_709.0.jpg

The New York Jets have a quarterback controversy on their hands, though most would agree they needed one a couple seasons ago. Quarterback Mark Sanchez has been ... poor since being drafted by the team. This offseason is the first time they've legitimately brought in some competition for him to push him to improve.

That competition comes in the form of dependable (when healthy) veteranDavid Garrard and second-round rookie Geno Smith out of West Virginia.

Many feel like Smith will win the competition handily and earn the Week 1 starting job, especially given just how much Sanchez has struggled lately. That said, the Jets are expecting Sanchez to rise to the occasion and make the competition interesting. As noted at NJ.com, head coach Rex Ryan expects that the public will see the "best Sanchez they've ever seen."

Unfortunately, that's not an altogether impressive statement. Last season, Sanchez had miserable stats, with 2,883 yards, 13 touchdowns, 18 interceptions, too many fumbles to count and a paltry 54.3 completion percentage. As far as his "best" goes, he did have 26 touchdowns to 18 interceptions in 2011, but still had a 56.7 completion percentage.

So perhaps we will see the best Sanchez we've ever seen to this point, but even given that random resurgence, Smith would still probably be the favorite to win the job. At this point, many in the fanbase believe Garrard would beat Sanchez, and the long-time veteran makes more sense to mentor Smith, regardless. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I have a rule I want instituted for Rex this year: positively no superlatives used in the description of his players.  None.

there is no competition

sanchez is the starter

rex is determined to prove he can do it, team (and fans) be damned

This is what will ulitmately lose Rex his job. It's called being stubborn. Even when given a chance to count your losses and succeed with a different guy, he will choose to prove that he was right all along.

I loved what Rex brought here, The whole "play like a Jet" thing and the mean aggressive Defense, but I honestly feel he is a moron where it comes to cutting losses and moving on.

I don't like to take things out of context and buy into any of these articles, but any statement that Sanchez is anything other than "in trouble" should not be said and Rex literally has no idea or ability to do that.

Heres more. Rex Ryan admits New York 'wasn't a good situation' for Tim Tebow - CBSSports.com

Speaking more generally, Ryan continued: "We are going to be a
dangerous football team. I can promise you that. How many wins and all
that, I don't know. But I'm gonna tell you: You're not gonna want to play the New York Jets."

Rex has to prove to everyone that hes not on death row. Its the Ryan way. I cant imagine that Izdk likes this attention whoring crap and its only May. I do not recall a lot of blather in Seattle as they quietly built a Super Bowl contending team. They seemed to fly under the radar with the exception of Richard Sherman.

The end will be near when Rex lashes out at the front office for trading away his best player. Then youll know that Rex is full auditioning for his next gig mode.

Heres more. Rex Ryan admits New York 'wasn't a good situation' for Tim Tebow - CBSSports.com

Rex has to prove to everyone that hes not on death row. Its the Ryan way. I cant imagine that Izdk likes this attention whoring crap and its only May. I do not recall a lot of blather in Seattle as they quietly built a Super Bowl contending team. They seemed to fly under the radar with the exception of Richard Sherman.

The end will be near when Rex lashes out at the front office for trading away his best player. Then youll know that Rex is full auditioning for his next gig mode.

Rex blathering about his team is about as surprising as one of us stealing food off a family members plate.  

Archived