One Last Thread about Tebows Future - Optimists and Doubters Welcome - but not zealots or haters.

IPack

I'm really down for the guy. I've been there at the top of the world and came crashing down before going uo again so I know how difficult it can be to get back to the level your were before. And frankly how unlikely it is to do so. With that out of the way "good luck to you Mr. Tebow" as you plow forward.

But this thread is really not about that its where people think he will end up.

Case 1. NFL Starting QB: Highly unlikely that a team will bring him in as a starting QB. The only possible places for this to happen based on QB suckiness would be Cleveland, Miami, Oakland, Minnesota, Jacksonville. Alas, sh*tty teams tend to be concerned with perception more so than others so the TebowMania problem likely closes the door here.

Case Two Backup and Punt Protector or position change: Only the top teams with good QBs could consider him and already the Niners. Chargers. Bears and Seahawks are out. That leaves the Patriots. Steelers. and Saints as possibilities. I like the Steelers as a dark horse in this scenario, a team that no one would expect to do it.

CFL/AFL: I made this comment In an earlier post. I don't see this happening. If he can make more money in another career then it's time to drop football and never look back.

MMA: He would be a good fighter and needs to kick Donovan McNabbs ass but I also don't this happening. It would be too bad for his image.

My final thought is that he will choose to sit out this year and approach a team in obvious need next year or mid way through this season.

Cheers

I think some team will sign him as a backup to some minimum contract, maybe build in some incentives, and maybe even use him like they did in Denver.

You never know as there are plenty of bad backup QBs in the NFL that seem to hold onto jobs and move around.   I think it's the media and his cult following that kills him.    It wasn't like the Jets created the hype,  Tebow has so much hype for whatever reason.     So certain teams aren't going to want to create some pointless QB controversy.    Everywhere he goes, regardless, there are going to be those who worship him and those who hate him.  

Not sure why, but that's the case.   So some team will give him a shot to be a backup or compete for the backup job.  Whether or not the guy ever plays again in a real game in the NFL , depends on a starter getting hurt and a team thinking Tebow has improved.

Saying all that, if his agents refuse to accept some low offer,  no team will want him.

CFL/AFL: I made this comment In an earlier post. I don't see this hHappening. If he can make more money in another career the it's time to drop football and never look back.

The CFL is easily his smartest option, IMHO. The game up north is practically designed for the way Tebow plays football. They pass on practically every down, and the field is significantly larger than an NFL field. He'll have more opportunities to scramble, and more room to do so. He can play his game and move his football team -and maybe even win!- while honing his QB skills.

He's only 25 years old. He could put four years in up north and try to make an NFL comeback at that time. Or, continue to enjoy whatever success he's having up there. And I do believe he can be successful there.

It's not about how much money he can make, especially in the short term. It's about keeping his profile high. This is a kid who'll make a living on speaking tours and has political ambitions. Those sort of things work better as a person chasing his dreams rather than as a person who's given up on them.

He could be a star in the CFL, and raise the profile of the entire league.

The CFL is easily his smartest option, IMHO. The game up north is practically designed for the way Tebow plays football. They pass on practically every down, and the field is significantly larger than an NFL field. He'll have more opportunities to scramble, and more room to do so. He can play his game and move his football team -and maybe even win!- while honing his QB skills.

He's only 25 years old. He could put four years in up north and try to make an NFL comeback at that time. Or, continue to enjoy whatever success he's having up there. And I do believe he can be successful there.

It's not about how much money he can make, especially in the short term. It's about keeping his profile high. This is a kid who'll make a living on speaking tours and has political ambitions. Those sort of things work better as a person chasing his dreams rather than as a person who's given up on them.

I see your point but it doesn't sound like he is going to get a shot there. I guess Montreal could trade him to another CFL that wants him to start?

I see your point but it doesn't sound like he is going to get a shot there. I guess Montreal could trade him to another CFL that wants him to start?

The story the other day sounded harsh, but it makes sense for Tebow to spend a season on the bench and learn the CFL game before he gets elevated to starter. It is very different. Once he learns it, I think he'll be a natural up there. I really do.

The story the other day sounded harsh, but it makes sense for Tebow to spend a season on the bench and learn the CFL game before he gets elevated to starter. It is very different. Once he learns it, I think he'll be a natural up there. I really do.

You are probably right if he gets a chance but those comments from the Montreal GM were harsh. It's a real blood bath out there for him.

Great post.  

I don't think the Montreal comments were all that harsh.

The CFL has to maintain pride, their GM can't gush that getting an NFL QB is an automatic upgrade over their present QB.  Everyone knows that the players are in the CFL because they can't get into the NFL-but the GM can't say that.

Besides, Vince Ferragamo was a quality NFL QB who went to the CFL-they made periodic attempts to lift themselves into parity with the NFL-and he bombed out because he couldn't adjust to the CFL game. He came back to the NFL and did fine for a few more years.  It is a somewhat different game.

Joe Kapp, Warren Moon, Doug Flutie and Jeff Garcia were all quarterbacks who had to prove themselves in the CFL before coming down and having substantial careers in the NFL.  It has happened so often that if a QB up there really does well, there is speculation among the sportswriters about whether he'll be offered an NFL contract.

I wish Tim Tebow the best, as long as he realizes that he isnt an NFL caliber QB which probably will be hard to swallow given that Denver traded damn near their entire draft just to take him in the 1st round as a QB lol. I'll have to admit though, his heart and ambition is the best I've ever seen so if he were to prove me wrong I wouldnt be in the least surprised. 

Good luck Mr. Tebow. 

I predict this wont be the last thread about Tebow.

My take on Tebow is not only can't he play QB but he will not play as a TE or a RB or a FB or and HB because he does not have those skill sets either. Playing the QB position and running through gaping holes when nothing is open down field is a hell of a lot different than what most people think this kid can accomplish at other positions or even consistently at the QB position. While I would love for him to prove me wrong I dont think he will.

I predict this wont be the last thread about Tebow.

My take on Tebow is not only can't he play QB but he will not play as a TE or a RB or a FB or and HB because he does not have those skill sets either. Playing the QB position and running through gaping holes when nothing is open down field is a hell of a lot different than what most people think this kid can accomplish at other positions or even consistently at the QB position. While I would love for him to prove me wrong I dont think he will.

Running through the holes is what I'll miss most but back to back years of broken ribs is not good.

I don't think the Montreal comments were all that harsh.

The CFL has to maintain pride, their GM can't gush that getting an NFL QB is an automatic upgrade over their present QB. Everyone knows that the players are in the CFL because they can't get into the NFL-but the GM can't say that.

Besides, Vince Ferragamo was a quality NFL QB who went to the CFL-they made periodic attempts to lift themselves into parity with the NFL-and he bombed out because he couldn't adjust to the CFL game. He came back to the NFL and did fine for a few more years. It is a somewhat different game.

Their QB is 41 years old, how is that not a jab. Even more he said that it he would only be able to compete for the backup spot.

He could always be traded to another CFL team though.

It worked for Warren Moon and Joe Theisman

Archived