Sanchez says he expects to win starting job.

joewilly12

Mark Sanchez met with the media on Wednesday and part of that interview appears below.  We took the liberty of pruning out the questions that don’t impact things on the field.  So to the media member that asked Mark about his long hair, sorry but you didn’t make the cut here.

These questions all pertain to the upcoming QB competition.  One of the most important questions the Jets face heading into this season is who will be the starting quarterback.

On approaching the quarterback competition…
Exactly that way, just compete, compete my butt off, try to improve every day, focus on the fundamentals, focus on getting better and focus on learning this system.

On if he expects to be with the team all year…
Absolutely, that’s where my head’s at. I’m competing to be the starter.

On the competition at quarterback…
It falls right in line with what John Idzik talked about, bringing in competition at every position. But it also marries up with everything I’ve been about my whole life whether it was in high school, college or making it to the NFL level, competing with other players and earning everything you receive in this league. Nothing is just given. You have to compete to earn it, so it will be fun.

On whether he comes into the season saying ‘This is my team’…
Of course, every quarterback should feel that way. I know I do and I’m not shy about voicing my opinion. You have to own it and compete your butt off to keep it in my position. That’s what I’ll do and I’ll do it the very best I can.

On whether he has seen everything a competition can throw at him…
I think I’ve seen pretty much everything. So that’s good. The more years you have, the more experience you gain and you just make sure you take all those experiences, bottle them up somewhere and save them. You know how to react to different situations as they come up, but we’ll prepare and that’s what I’m going to keep on doing, preparing and competing.

On competing with the other quarterbacks…
Sure, whether it’s (Matt) Simms, (Greg) McElroy, David or Geno (Smith), all those guys want to play and that’s natural for a quarterback to want to play. It’s different than a guard, tackle, receiver or defensive tackle, there’s only one. So we’re all competing for that one spot. We’re friendly about it, but at the same time it’s a fierce competition. I’m excited about all those guys. I’m excited about having them in the quarterback room with me. We’ll learn as much as we can from each other, compete our butts off and the best guy will play and hopefully help the team.

On whether he feels like this is his team…
It has to feel that way going into your fifth year, at least that’s how I feel. I’m confident and I feel like we’ve seen just about everything you can see. So we’ll just keep rolling and do our very best.

On the team drafting another quarterback…
Those aren’t my decisions. It’s my job to roll with whatever happens and play the cards (I’m) dealt. John Idzik is trying to field the best football team he can. He feels like Geno (Smith) should be a part of that team and that’s fine. Now, I’m going to compete with Geno and see who’s the starter.

On whether he was disappointed when they drafted Smith…
For what?

On whether he was disappointed that drafting Smith further infringed on his hold on the starting quarterback job…
He’s going to come in here and compete. And if we’re competing for the job, I’m going to do my very best to compete and I expect to play. That’s just the way I am.

On if he expects to be the opening day starter…
Of course.

On if he still views himself as the future of the franchise…
Absolutely.

On whether he feels the front office views him as the future of the franchise…
Ask them, I don’t know.

On whether he expects to win the starting job…
No doubt. Of course.

On the front office not declaring a quarterback competition last season compared to this season…
It’s a new general manager.

On whether there wouldn’t be a quarterback competition if he performed better, even with a new general manager…
I don’t know. Ask John (Idzik). I have no idea.

On whether Coach Mornhinweg talked to him before or after the draft…
Actually both, he called and he said, “You doing alright?” (I said), ‘Yeah, I’m doing fine. Why?’ (He said), “Oh, they’re giving you a hard time on TV.” (I said), ‘I wasn’t even watching, should I be watching?’ He’s like, “Wow, that’s up to you. I don’t know, just make sure you’re hanging in there.” (I said), ‘I’m fine coach, come on man, it’s part of the job.’ Then he called after. He just said, “Hey man, we’re heating up the competition, you know that? We just took Geno.” I said, ‘Alright.’

On if there are enough reps for three quarterbacks to get a fair chance in an open competition…
I’ll let you know in camp.

On if he anticipates a fair opportunity for each quarterback…
I assume so. That’s everything I’ve heard. Unless, they want somebody to start and then it will be obvious, and the rest of the guys will know.

On having competition for the starting quarterback position after four years in the league…
It’s new management. John Idzik wanted every position to compete for their job, so the quarterback position is no different.

I don't see how any of the other QBs can beat him. Sanchez is the worst starting QB in the nfl but the backups are even worse.

If he doesn't hurt his back or his knee I expect Garrard to win the job.  If he didn't have knee surgery in August he was going to be Miami's starting QB (at least until they were eliminated from contention or until he got injured, whichever happened first, after which they'd then go with their rookie).  So unless he's gotten worse - which is possible with another year away from real action - or unless Rex sabotages the "competition" he should beat out Sanchez.

From all the stuff that's been thrown at us in the papers & on TV it paints the picture of Smith starting now as being pretty unlikely.  But until I see someone worse, Sanchez is the least accurate QB among the 3 that are actually in the competition.

How funny would it be if Simms won the job? Just looking on paper, he wasn't even a top 10 QB in the SEC. 140 completed passes and 8 TDs in his entire college career?  I mean how does he even qualify to be camp fodder for 1 hour of camp?

Idz, wants Geno, but since 2013 is year one rebuild, Garrard I expect to be the starter until we are out of contention, then it's Geno time.

Rex won't be able to pull any sh*t this year. He's going to be on a very short lesh. He's got to show enough to get a contract extension.

How funny would it be if Simms won the job? Just looking on paper, he wasn't even a top 10 QB in the SEC. 140 completed passes and 8 TDs in his entire college career?  I mean how does he even qualify to be camp fodder for 1 hour of camp?

phil.jpg

As long as Rex is the coach i fully expect Sanchez to be the QB.  Idk what it is that Rex likes so much about him (maybe he has nice feet) but he has committed to Sanchez and even though Garrard will likely deserve to start we will have to watch another atrocious year of #6.

Mark Sanchez met with the media on Wednesday and part of that interview appears below.  We took the liberty of pruning out the questions that don’t impact things on the field.  So to the media member that asked Mark about his long hair, sorry but you didn’t make the cut here.

These questions all pertain to the upcoming QB competition.  One of the most important questions the Jets face heading into this season is who will be the starting quarterback.

On approaching the quarterback competition…

Exactly that way, just compete, compete my butt off, try to improve every day, focus on the fundamentals, focus on getting better and focus on learning this system.

On if he expects to be with the team all year…

Absolutely, that’s where my head’s at. I’m competing to be the starter.

On the competition at quarterback…

It falls right in line with what John Idzik talked about, bringing in competition at every position. But it also marries up with everything I’ve been about my whole life whether it was in high school, college or making it to the NFL level, competing with other players and earning everything you receive in this league. Nothing is just given. You have to compete to earn it, so it will be fun.

On whether he comes into the season saying ‘This is my team’…

Of course, every quarterback should feel that way. I know I do and I’m not shy about voicing my opinion. You have to own it and compete your butt off to keep it in my position. That’s what I’ll do and I’ll do it the very best I can.

On whether he has seen everything a competition can throw at him…

I think I’ve seen pretty much everything. So that’s good. The more years you have, the more experience you gain and you just make sure you take all those experiences, bottle them up somewhere and save them. You know how to react to different situations as they come up, but we’ll prepare and that’s what I’m going to keep on doing, preparing and competing.

On competing with the other quarterbacks…

Sure, whether it’s (Matt) Simms, (Greg) McElroy, David or Geno (Smith), all those guys want to play and that’s natural for a quarterback to want to play. It’s different than a guard, tackle, receiver or defensive tackle, there’s only one. So we’re all competing for that one spot. We’re friendly about it, but at the same time it’s a fierce competition. I’m excited about all those guys. I’m excited about having them in the quarterback room with me. We’ll learn as much as we can from each other, compete our butts off and the best guy will play and hopefully help the team.

On whether he feels like this is his team…

It has to feel that way going into your fifth year, at least that’s how I feel. I’m confident and I feel like we’ve seen just about everything you can see. So we’ll just keep rolling and do our very best.

On the team drafting another quarterback…

Those aren’t my decisions. It’s my job to roll with whatever happens and play the cards (I’m) dealt. John Idzik is trying to field the best football team he can. He feels like Geno (Smith) should be a part of that team and that’s fine. Now, I’m going to compete with Geno and see who’s the starter.

On whether he was disappointed when they drafted Smith…

For what?

On whether he was disappointed that drafting Smith further infringed on his hold on the starting quarterback job…

He’s going to come in here and compete. And if we’re competing for the job, I’m going to do my very best to compete and I expect to play. That’s just the way I am.

On if he expects to be the opening day starter…

Of course.

On if he still views himself as the future of the franchise…

Absolutely.

On whether he feels the front office views him as the future of the franchise…

Ask them, I don’t know.

On whether he expects to win the starting job…

No doubt. Of course.

On the front office not declaring a quarterback competition last season compared to this season…

It’s a new general manager.

On whether there wouldn’t be a quarterback competition if he performed better, even with a new general manager…

I don’t know. Ask John (Idzik). I have no idea.

On whether Coach Mornhinweg talked to him before or after the draft…

Actually both, he called and he said, “You doing alright?” (I said), ‘Yeah, I’m doing fine. Why?’ (He said), “Oh, they’re giving you a hard time on TV.” (I said), ‘I wasn’t even watching, should I be watching?’ He’s like, “Wow, that’s up to you. I don’t know, just make sure you’re hanging in there.” (I said), ‘I’m fine coach, come on man, it’s part of the job.’ Then he called after. He just said, “Hey man, we’re heating up the competition, you know that? We just took Geno.” I said, ‘Alright.’

On if there are enough reps for three quarterbacks to get a fair chance in an open competition…

I’ll let you know in camp.

On if he anticipates a fair opportunity for each quarterback…

I assume so. That’s everything I’ve heard. Unless, they want somebody to start and then it will be obvious, and the rest of the guys will know.

On having competition for the starting quarterback position after four years in the league…

It’s new management. John Idzik wanted every position to compete for their job, so the quarterback position is no different.

Sombody want to point out something that Mark said wrong here?  I see nothing wrong with what he said.  The real question is does he believe the things he is saying?  It's one thing to give the correct anwser to questions from the media, most players are schooled up on how to handle these interviews, and anyone with half a brain can walk through these with ease, Mark might suck at QB, but when it comes to saying the right things he has always done a fair to good job, most things he says that get dissected is just the media spinning it in a negative way.

Do I think Mark is the future of the Jets?  NO!  Do I hope he comes out, and proves me, and everyone else wrong?  ******* A!  In a ideal world Sanchez gets it in year 5, the Jets franchise tag him after the season to make sure it wasn't a fluke before giving him another contract, and we trade G Smith for a 2nd rounder in the 2015 draft if Mark shows in year 6 it wasn't a fluke.  Again I see zero chance of this happening, but it is the absolute best thing that could happen to the Jets plain, and simple.

Without any weapons on offense I don't really see any QB having success this season unless the Jets find a way to run the ball like they did in 2009!

Worst case scenario for the Jets is having the 2nd overall pick in the 2014 draft, with Clowney getting picked 1st, and G Smith not showing enough to say he will, or won't be a great NFL QB, this puts the Jets in a tough spot do you draft the next big QB (assuming one of the 2-4 QB's coming out are viewed this way), or do you trade the pick for a kings ransom, and risk G Smith being the next M Sanchez while you watch the QB taken with your pick you traded away become the next big thing!  The Jets put themselves in this situation by drafting G Smith, but I can't blame them for taking him at 39 the value was just to good to pass up.  On a personal level I hate taken a QB there, but I do understand it was the right thing to do after letting my emotions settle down from that 5 day whirl wind starting with trading D Revis, to drafting Smith.  Unfortunatley I can't see any QB getting a fair shake on this team, and getting a true evaluation on what they can do in this league becuase again the Jets have nothing at the play maker positions, unless Smith is the playmaker with his legs like RGIII, and R Wilson, I don't see that thou, yes he ran in the same range as Wilson, but he never really ran a read option, and from watching him in college he is always looking to throw when he extends plays not take off, and run I just don't think that is his thing mentally even if he has the legs to actually do it.

Archived