The Black Ryan Leaf, and other Geno Smith Bashing (Merged)

BurnleyJet

Ryan Mallett to Patriots in the 3rd round is genius match made in heaven, Geno to the Jets in the second round when nobody really expected him there and it's the second coming of  Ryan Leaf but a black a black Ryan Leaf, whatever that means. I'm pretty sure that's probably worse in NFL insider and Rush Limbaugh circles though, we've all heard what a dummy he is. That's in spite of the fact Dilfer's claims he was the only kid who picked up the entire playbook at the elite 11 camp.

Who knows about Mallet. Hes sucked so far. Its a genius move only if he turns out to be something or if NE can unload him for a higher pick(s)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QBs who were/are streaky, thin-skinned primadonnas who thought they were/are great:

Jay Cutler

Troy Aikman

Joe Montana

Aaron Rodgers

Phil Simms

Steve Young

Can Newton

Peyton Manning

Jim Everett

Randall Cunningham

Tom Brady

Dan Marino

Tony Romo

Jeff Garcia

Phillip Rivers

QBs who were/are streaky, thin-skinned primadonnas who thought they were/are great:

Jay Cutler

Troy Aikman

Joe Montana

Aaron Rodgers

Phil Simms

Steve Young

Can Newton

Peyton Manning

Jim Everett

Randall Cunningham

Tom Brady

Dan Marino

Tony Romo

Jeff Garcia

Phillip Rivers

But Aikman, Montana, Rodgers, Young, Manning, Brady and Marino were right. (yes,even though Marino never won a Super Bowl)

Jay Cutler

Troy Aikman

Joe Montana

Aaron Rodgers

Phil Simms

Steve Young

Can Newton

Peyton Manning

Jim Everett

Randall Cunningham

Tom Brady

Dan Marino

Tony Romo

Jeff Garcia

Phillip Rivers

Flacco too.

I heard a Geno/Flacco comparison personality wise....Flacco's a pretty surly dude.

He was projected first round before the draft, as was Esiason, and they both had good or great careers.

The draft is a crap shoot, falling from first the first to the second round is not that big of a deal and is not necessarily indicative of something being discovered as being wrong with the draftee the last few days.

The end result of the player is not really what we're discussing here. Brady was drafted in 6th and is one of the best QB's of all time. I disagree with this contention that he's being bashed just cause he's a Jet, he's being bashed for his behavior

Flacco too.

I heard a Geno/Flacco comparison personality wise....Flacco's a pretty surly dude.

Forgot him. It's easier to pull out QBs that are great and nice, humble guys. Eli, Brees, Kurt Warner. Pretty much all I got.

The end result of the player is not really what we're discussing here. Brady was drafted in 6th and is one of the best QB's of all time. I disagree with this contention that he's being bashed just cause he's a Jet, he's being bashed for his behavior

Yeah, okay.

Well, you did make the following statement:

The kid fell pretty far, and even the Jets were willing to lose him.

Part of your contention is that Geno fell far, and I gave some examples of great QB's who fell the same amount as he did.  Going from first round to second, unless you're an Andrew Luck type that everyone is salivating over, is not falling far.

Besides, it was understood by everyone that the draft status of all the top QBs was somewhat exaggerated because this was not considered a good draft class for the position.

I can't help but notice, all of the criticism of Geno seems to stem from the following report from Yahoo:

“All these other players who were in there were talking to the coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself,” one of the sources said. “That’s not what you want out of your quarterback.”

Seems to me that when you go for a job interview you show up, get called into a room with an interviewer, and things from there.  On the other hand, this scene-with other potential draftees who played other positions milling around in a room and looking to make contact with the appropriate coach-strikes me as being from one single team.  I don't think most teams conduct interviews like that.

If I had the same draft position as Geno, I would either walk out or do what he did, sit down and wait patiently for whichever coach wanted to talk to me to come over or at least send someone to get me.  If nobody came over, I guess I would check my phone and even make a call or two until someone did.

Looks like Geno flew out to the place expecting a normal interview, and found out the team was running a job fair.  I wouldn't be very impressed either, if I was projected as the draft's best QB.

And because of it, this story has circulated around and around and now he has to deal with a purported "bad rep".  Unbelievable.

Word. I'm just pointing out that being a dick doesn't preclude you from being a great QB.

By some accounts being a domineering douche is not exactly a bad thing for a QB. Peyton Manning, despite the aw shucks pitchman act, is not at all wilting violet to his teammates.Heck, when Jim Caldwell gave us a free timeout he wasn't above throwing the HC under the bus.  Simm lost his job for a time in part because he rubbed teammates the wrong way.Elways barely hid his dislike of Dan Reeves and his run first offense which made his comebacks necessary in the first place.  Joe Namath himself would concede he was a drunken a-hole.

Geno Smith leaves doesn't swap out the empty TP tube when he's done in the lou.

Gemo SMith will take the last bagel.

Geno Smith will not be your wingman nor go with the fat chick with a great personality.

Geno SMith even thinks posting on social media is nore important than listening to another NFL coach babble. If we have learned nothing as Jets fans, we have at least learned almost every NFL head coach is a BS artist who likes to hear himself talk as if he invented the game and the wheel while he was at it. Granted, that story sounds awful. But they guy basically heard the same pitch 32 times. Is he supposed to act like it's Moses getting tablets every time? Plus ultimately only 1 of the 32 pitchmen iwas going to pick him. Many oif those teams have QB and weren't picking him.

NFL insider calls Geno Smith the black Ryan Leaf

Stephen A. Smith on ESPN First Take today:

"I have somebody incredibly connected to the NFL, works in the NFL, works with numerous players. You know what he texted me with this morning, and called Geno Smith? He called him the black Ryan Leaf. He says if he doesn’t get his act together, that’s what he’s going to end up being, because his mouth is going to get him in trouble because he doesn’t have the game to match it….I think Geno Smith needs to hear that so he can guard against it and get his mind right so he can perform. So that’s what people in the NFL are saying about you, Geno. Take notice and make sure you don’t give them ammunition to think like that."

At the 32:00 mark in this podcast: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=9235272

You can't make this Sh@t up, the Jet hate is unreal.

Why must he be the "black Ryan Leaf"? Can't he be the reincarnation of Ryan Leaf?  Why don't readers realize that these writers are diplaying latent racism when they say things like that?  They are admitting that race is somehow an issue here.  They are categorizing Geno Smith.

Here we go-typical POS garbage article against Geno by one Ashley Judd:

He has the physical tools for the next level. What he must do is prove he is prepared from the neck up. Already, there is reason to doubt
his mental toughness.

Smith thought he was going to be a first-round pick last week and was at Radio City Music Hall for the first night of the draft. He never
heard his name called. After the first round, Smith told ESPN he wasn't going to return the next day for the second round. Although Smith
reconsidered, his initial decision showed a level of immaturity in the way he handled a significant disappointment that likely won't be his last.

Earlier this week, Smith fired his agents, Select Sports Group's Jeff Nalley and Eric Burkhardt. While Smith told Sirius XM NFL Radio
that the firing wasn't because he slipped into the second round, he would not give a reason for his decision.

On Wednesday, Yahoo! Sports reported that in pre-draft meetings with some teams, Smith was more preoccupied with texting friends and
checking Twitter than interacting with coaches and front-office executives. If true, that is a damning indication of where he was
mentally as he headed into the biggest moment of his young career. Those meetings were job interviews. They were auditions. To not take every
opportunity to impress potential employers is incredibly shortsighted, as was wasting any opportunity to learn something from others who have
experience in the NFL.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/9237085/geno-smith-learn-a-lot-learn

First of all, I read the original report of that criticism of Geno where he was in a room with several other players and team's coaches and he sat in a corner by himself seems to come from ONE team and the press has pluralized it.  Know how managers sometimes say "We have complaints against" something and it turns out to be only a single complaint?  Same thing appears to be happening here-one team complaining and the press has pluralized it so the reader gets the impression that team after team was saying it.

There is also the small matter of what those other players were doing in the room in the first place.  Geno was the highest rated QB in the draft at the time, and flew out to the team for an interview where it would be determined if he would be offered a multi-million dollar contract.   You would think the organization would take the time to go through the interview process one-on-one for at least a few hours, not throw the guy into a room with a bunch of other prospects and some coaches and see what comes of it.  If I went through all the trouble to fly out there, I think I would sit my ass down and wait to see if someone from the club want to talk to me as well. What an amateurish setup.

But the major reason this report is so dismissable is that it comes down to saying that Geno lacks "soft skills".  He doesn't make strangers in a room feel at ease.

This is the NFL.  It has people in it who are going to be arrested for assault, domestic violence, gun violations and my own personal favorite, dragging a hooker by the hair across the stage of a strip club and then pummeling her barehanded.  The players who do not do things still have to be tough enough to be able to deal with the players who do.  And they're talking about Geno might not make the grade because he doesn't go out of his way to make people he never met feel bright and cheerful.

Meanwhile, we have another report where Geno was given a playbook to memorize, and after 3 weeks he was the only college QB in camp who had done so.  The story where he had done the best job preparing himself mentally for competition gets no attention, the vague story about not doing well in a room full of strangers gets publcized. 

And all this time, the league has been telling us that hard work and preparation were the keys to success in the NFL.  Apparently not any more.

Jim Corbett, USA TODAY Sports

Geno Smith has yet to take a snap for the New York Jets, yet the former West Virginia quarterback has already taken plenty of shots.

Thin-skinned diva? Immature? Spoiled and aloof?

Those descriptions, and more, were aimed at Smith for firing his agents, Erik Burkhardt and Jeff Nalley, last week after Smith slid to the second round of the NFL draft.

Smith finally responded Monday.

"I don't worry about what people say — my skin is pretty thick," Smith told USA TODAY Sports. "I've never been in trouble."

Smith denied a Yahoo Sports report that said one team was turned off when Smith seemed more pre-occupied with checking Twitter and texting than speaking with coaches during a pre-draft visit.

"That's not true," said Smith flatly. "I got strong remarks from all the teams I visited with. ... I couldn't care less what's coming out in the media because I know what's true."

Smith regrets taking his agents' advice to skip the Senior Bowl in January. EJ Manuel, selected by the Buffalo Bills with the 16th pick, was the only QB chosen in first-round. Manuel was the Senior Bowl MVP.

"It was a decision I ultimately made," Smith said. "My first instinct is always to go out and compete. I'm a competitor. It's one of those things where I trusted those guys. They advised me that it may have been best for me not to go."

Smith, who hasn't decided on his new representation, insists his tumble out of the first round wasn't the reason for firing his agents.

"No, that's not why I let them go."

But then he hinted otherwise.

"Parts of the draft experience were tough, but not all of it, Smith said. With that entire process, you can see where some things went wrong. ... "Choosing to leave those guys was the best decision for me at the time. That's what I went with."I think I'm pretty good with my decision making. So I trust myself."

Smith also disputed an ESPN report that he planned to skip second night of the draft.

"Coming back on Day 2 was never not an option for me," Smith said.

"My goal was to go up on that stage and shake Mr. Goodell's hand. And that's what we did."

Looking forward, Smith said he's eager to get to work — and work with both Mark Sanchez and David Garrard.

He received congratulatory text from each after his selection by the team.

"Mark is a great guy,'' Smith said. "I have the utmost respect for him and I look forward to competing with him."

"David sent me a text the day after I was drafted. I expressed how much I was looking forward to learning from him, competing with him and allowing him to mentor me and to help me get better. I'm going to do the same for him.''

Smith grabbed a Jets playbook the night he was drafted and has been focused every day since on learning the terminology as he preps for the team's rookie minicamp, which begins Friday. He's been in constant communication with offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and quarterbacks coach David Lee.

"The first goal for me is to get in that playbook, learn the terminology and learn it like the back of my hand as much as I can do to stay ahead of the curve,'' Smith said.

As for the open, five-man QB competition and his confidence about his chance to win the starting job?

"What more can you ask for?'' Smith said. "As of right now, my role as a rookie quarterback is to be a sponge.

"I have a goal in mind. I'm going to work hard towards it. And I'm just going to do all the things I think are necessary for me to eventually be one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL.''

Jim Corbett, USA TODAY Sports

Geno Smith has yet to take a snap for the New York Jets, yet the former West Virginia quarterback has already taken plenty of shots.

Thin-skinned diva? Immature? Spoiled and aloof?

Those descriptions, and more, were aimed at Smith for firing his agents, Erik Burkhardt and Jeff Nalley, last week after Smith slid to the second round of the NFL draft.

Smith finally responded Monday.

"I don't worry about what people say — my skin is pretty thick," Smith told USA TODAY Sports. "I've never been in trouble."

Smith denied a Yahoo Sports report that said one team was turned off when Smith seemed more pre-occupied with checking Twitter and texting than speaking with coaches during a pre-draft visit.

"That's not true," said Smith flatly. "I got strong remarks from all the teams I visited with. ... I couldn't care less what's coming out in the media because I know what's true."

Smith regrets taking his agents' advice to skip the Senior Bowl in January. EJ Manuel, selected by the Buffalo Bills with the 16th pick, was the only QB chosen in first-round. Manuel was the Senior Bowl MVP.

"It was a decision I ultimately made," Smith said. "My first instinct is always to go out and compete. I'm a competitor. It's one of those things where I trusted those guys. They advised me that it may have been best for me not to go."

Smith, who hasn't decided on his new representation, insists his tumble out of the first round wasn't the reason for firing his agents.

"No, that's not why I let them go."

But then he hinted otherwise.

"Parts of the draft experience were tough, but not all of it, Smith said. With that entire process, you can see where some things went wrong. ... "Choosing to leave those guys was the best decision for me at the time. That's what I went with."I think I'm pretty good with my decision making. So I trust myself."

Smith also disputed an ESPN report that he planned to skip second night of the draft.

"My goal was to go up on that stage and shake Mr. Goodell's hand. And that's what we did."

Looking forward, Smith said he's eager to get to work — and work with both Mark Sanchez and David Garrard.

He received congratulatory text from each after his selection by the team.

"Mark is a great guy,'' Smith said. "I have the utmost respect for him and I look forward to competing with him."

"David sent me a text the day after I was drafted. I expressed how much I was looking forward to learning from him, competing with him and allowing him to mentor me and to help me get better. I'm going to do the same for him.''

Smith grabbed a Jets playbook the night he was drafted and has been focused every day since on learning the terminology as he preps for the team's rookie minicamp, which begins Friday. He's been in constant communication with offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and quarterbacks coach David Lee.

"The first goal for me is to get in that playbook, learn the terminology and learn it like the back of my hand as much as I can do to stay ahead of the curve,'' Smith said.

As for the open, five-man QB competition and his confidence about his chance to win the starting job?

"What more can you ask for?'' Smith said. "As of right now, my role as a rookie quarterback is to be a sponge.

"I have a goal in mind. I'm going to work hard towards it. And I'm just going to do all the things I think are necessary for me to eventually be one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL.''

IMO nothing wrong with what Smith is saying here, but he would be well advised to not tangle with the media, and keep his mouth shut until he has his new agents.

Once he does, lisen to them and keep mouth shut

Report: Geno Smith responds

Updated: May 7, 2013, 10:52 AM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Is Geno Smith Ready To Learn?

New York Jets rookie quarterback Geno Smith, painted as a diva in various post-draft media reports, responded Monday to the criticism, denying he texted friends during pre-draft visits and insisting he never told ESPN he was planning to skip the second day of the draft.

"I don't worry about what people say -- my skin is pretty thick," the much-maligned Smith said in an interview with USA Today Sports. "I've never been in trouble."

Smith, projected as a possible top-10 pick, dropped to the second round, 39th overall. His nosedive became one of the big stories of the draft, and it became bigger when he fired his agents reportedly because they told him he'd be a top choice.

"No, that's not why I let them go," Smith said.

But the former West Virginia star admitted he shouldn't have listened to his agents' advice to skip the Senior Bowl. He also acknowledged that "parts of the draft experience were tough, but not all of it. With that entire process, you can see where some things went wrong."

Smith still hasn't picked a new agent.

A quarterback-needy team picking in the top 10 passed on Smith because of a poor attitude in a pre-draft interview, ESPNNewYork.com reported last week. An unnamed NFC scout said Smith was behaving like a "spoiled, pampered brat."

Previously, Yahoo! Sports reported that Smith annoyed teams by texting and checking Twitter during interviews with team officials.

"That's not true," he said. "I got strong remarks from all the teams I visited with. … I couldn't care less what's coming out in the media, because I know what's true."

Smith also took a lot of heat for initially telling ESPN that, after sitting through an agonizing first round on national TV, he wouldn't return for the second day. He claimed he never said that.

Yet, in separate interviews on the night of the draft and the day after, he never attempted to dispute his comment to ESPN.

Smith, through a Jets spokesman, denied an interview request last Friday by ESPNNewYork.com.

He will report Friday to the Jets' rookie minicamp. He's competing with Mark Sanchez, David Garrard, Greg McElroy and Matt Simms for the starting job. Smith said he received congratulatory texts from Sanchez and Garrard. Last Thursday, Sanchez said he hadn't reached out to the rookie.

"Mark is a great guy," Smith said. "I have the utmost respect for him and I look forward to competing with him.

"David sent me a text the day after I was drafted. I expressed how much I was looking forward to learning from him, competing with him and allowing him to mentor me and to help me get better. I'm going to do the same for him."

Archived