West Coast offense with no TE?

Jetfan13

I dont see anyone out there better then what we have, couldnt rebuild the whole team in one off-season

I dont disagree but a west coast off. without a TE is like ground and pound without a big back.

Right now we are holding out hope for Hayden Smith making a giant leap in year two. Not likely, but you never know.

That said, the FB that was drafted in the 7th round has a real shot at being a useful tool in the WCO. They lined him up everywhere in college, including at TE. He has soft hands and is a punishing blocker. Don't expect him to be a pro bowler next year, but he should be able to help fill the TE void somewhat.

Jets signed two very interesting TE's in UDFA, plus the Aussie that Tannenbaum said no one could cover last year.   TE is the least of their problems.

The real question is, how are they going to run a WCO with out a QB

Please tell me there are alternatives to Jeff Cumberland. Has anyone heard anything of their plans?

Why not run a WCO without a TE?  After all, Rex has run a base 3-4 for 4 years with no real pass-rushing OLB.  LOL

Seriously, I imagine that a TE or two will be cut somewhere between now and the end of TC, and the Jets will have a chance to pick one of them up at that time.

What about Kevin Boss if he can get cleared medically? Same for Travis Beckum.  Dallas Clark is available but he turns 34 next month.  

Bad as these (or other worse FA) options might be, it would also be good to know that Cumberland was able to beat one of them out.

Was anyone here aware that Cumberland ran a 4.46 at his pro day? I knew he was a WR in college but I didn't know he was capable of running that fast.  Certainly explains the team's "What if this guy actually gets it this year" sticking with him.  Gym shorts speed vs playing speed aside, that's ridiculously fast for a man his size.  If he gets beat out at TE maybe Rex can make him a rush linebacker also, lol.

Jets signed two very interesting TE's in UDFA, plus the Aussie that Tannenbaum said no one could cover last year.   TE is the least of their problems.

The real question is, how are they going to run a WCO with out a QB

Seriously, this.

Nobody heard of Gates, Graham, or a number of the relevant TEs we clamor for here... And every uear we see TEs step up in their system, we'll be fine there.

It is 100% about the QB.

Maybe the Jets believe in Cumberland more than the fans do.  They carried him on the roster for an entire season a few years ago without giving him any significant playing time.  When he was looking at an expanded role, he got hurt, and who can really hold any young offensive player accountable for last season?  Worst offense I've seen in decades.  I like the guy, and I think the Jets do too.

Cumbie + Aussie = WIN

That pretty much equates to if squared. In the last few picks, TE is the one position I would've liked to see them reach for need. I really hope Winters is the sh*t, because there were a couple nice TEs there, too. Hopefully that 7th round FB has something to offer as an H-back.

I'm not big on the old guys having trouble making teams, but maybe the mini-draft will offer up something if Cumberland, H. Smith, and Bohanon aren't cutting it. I like Cumberland -at least a little- but his health is a real concern.

What about Kevin Boss if he can get cleared medically? Same for Travis Beckum.  Dallas Clark is available but he turns 34 next month.  

Bad as these (or other worse FA) options might be, it would also be good to know that Cumberland was able to beat one of them out.

Was anyone here aware that Cumberland ran a 4.46 at his pro day? I knew he was a WR in college but I didn't know he was capable of running that fast.  Certainly explains the team's "What if this guy actually gets it this year" sticking with him.  Gym shorts speed vs playing speed aside, that's ridiculously fast for a man his size.  If he gets beat out at TE maybe Rex can make him a rush linebacker also, lol.

I knew it and I was squawking about it his first camp. I like Cumberland and I don't have any problem with him starting.  I'd be a little bothered by his blocking, but he I think that if they spread things out a little it will only help him. IMO the biggest problem with Cumberland besides the injuries is that he isn't a good compliment to Keller who is also a catch first block second guy.  FWIW, remember that was a pro-day time and those aren't that reliable.  I'd heard it was quick as 4.43.  I think his playing speed is fine.

Maybe the Jets believe in Cumberland more than the fans do.  They carried him on the roster for an entire season a few years ago without giving him any significant playing time.  When he was looking at an expanded role, he got hurt, and who can really hold any young offensive player accountable for last season?  Worst offense I've seen in decades.  I like the guy, and I think the Jets do too.

I like him too.  I think he should be a good fit for this WCO crap. 

Reuland is a perfectly capable JAG TE, the rugby dude at least has potential and at least two UDFAs seem like at least one should be moderately capable.  They should easily be JAG level bottom roster guys.  I think that people look at TE as a premium position, but IMO it is not.  I don't think the replacement value is there to reach.  

It should be pointed out that we have no idea how much the Achilles injury might have slowed Cumberland down compared to his pro-day.  I was moderately surprised that they placed a 2nd level RFA tag on him and paid him $2m.  I don't like TE's that can't block but I trust that Idzig, who is doing one hell of a good job so far, knows more than I do. 

Lets face facts- we will have so much trouble this year moving the ball and scoring based on our roster. We need some breakout years from guys you would not expect

I disagree Frank. I think they are going to surprise people this year. I admit Sanchez has wet the bed the last few years, but his best game is short slants and timing routes. I think the west coast is just what he needs.

Go ahead and have fun Sanchez bashers, I for one wish to be hopefull. And I really do think you are gonna be surprised.

I disagree Frank. I think they are going to surprise people this year. I admit Sanchez has wet the bed the last few years, but his best game is short slants and timing routes. I think the west coast is just what he needs.

Go ahead and have fun Sanchez bashers, I for one wish to be hopefull. And I really do think you are gonna be surprised.

I haven't burned my Sanchez jersey yet (flea market 40 bucks sue me) but trust me the fire has started.

"Best game" and Sanchez don't belong in the same paragraph, much less the same sentence.  A complete oxymoron.  

The "best" part of his game may be timing routes, but it certainly isn't short passing.  I've seen statistics that show that is where is accuracy is worst.

Yes, I remember reading that about him when the Jets signed him and was very excited with his potential.  I still think he has a chance to become a major mismatch for opposing Ds and a big part of the Jets' offense.  He may not, but he has that kind of potential.

Please tell me there are alternatives to Jeff Cumberland. Has anyone heard anything of their plans?

Don't give up on my Illini boy, Al. I think he's got a chance to look a lot better and he's not been horrible to begin with. I'd love to see the Aussie be a factor a well. 

That pretty much equates to if squared. In the last few picks, TE is the one position I would've liked to see them reach for need. I really hope Winters is the sh*t, because there were a couple nice TEs there, too. Hopefully that 7th round FB has something to offer as an H-back.

I'm not big on the old guys having trouble making teams, but maybe the mini-draft will offer up something if Cumberland, H. Smith, and Bohanon aren't cutting it. I like Cumberland -at least a little- but his health is a real concern.

Now the 3rd round is too soon with this guy holy ****!!!

:)

Love how people who are in love with Sanchez hold him out above every other player on the team, and call other people "haters" while they hate on almost every Jets player & coach except Sanchez.

If lightning strikes and suddenly Sanchez is a good QB (lol) for a season, we'd all love to see it.  But until then:  Sanchize lovers = Jets haters

Archived