•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Woody - Jets fans should be patient.

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#76 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 47,028 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:12 PM

Be careful, he might very well find this to be the most insulting post yet.

Whatever BG.  JoeKlecko added me as a friend on JN recently.  More than I can say about you, sir.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#77 pedro55

pedro55

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:19 AM

Jet fans should be patient. Even if you're pleased as pie about everything Idzik has done so far, the moves he's made are still largely very conservative. He shored up the defense and the running game, but it's still a passing league, and the Jets are still deficient in that department. People are optimistic about Geno, but he went #39 overall (with a few QB needy teams passing on him twice) for a reason. The Jets receivers and TEs are a below average group (being generous here) until someone proves otherwise. The Jets still don't have a clear plan about the future of the coaching staff, and we could see a disconnect between Rex's short term goals, and Idzik's long term goals this year.

Next year is when the full rebuild takes place. Rex proves himself, or he's gone. Sanchez probably doesn't have that much of a chance. The team will have as many as five extra draft picks and as much as $50M in cap space. That's when the team will get built. This year was a little foundation work in preparation for the coming overhaul, that's all.

This is all a hope at this point.   The draft picks might be good, they might be cut after next year.  Who knows.  We hope they wind up pro bowl players.   The running game?  Greene had more experience and yards then the guys they have on this team.   Just because people hope some backup to backups in the NFL & college will be a beast doesn't mean the guy will ever be a legit starting RB.    We all hope Ivory winds up being the next Turner.   But he could be the next guy who gets cut or just never plays.    

Next year is an unknown.  If the draft picks are good, then next years draft picks are a definitely chance to become even better.  If the draft picks suck,  there is no guarantee they'll be any better next year.     And the free agents,  if any of these guys wind up with career seasons, they might be gone after a season or just had that one great year.    Landry was a great pickup, except he's long gone now.  What was the point of a one year guy?  That's not building for the future.  And that is another worry with a lot of these signings.  Especially if the team winds up 5-11 or something.

#78 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 21,608 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:23 AM

Fair enough.  I have no problem with people disagreeing with me.  I DO have a problem with people who feel like they have to make it personal in order to try to disagree.  Rarely have I seen minds changed on Jets boards (and I've been posting on them since the late 90's).  Thus, I never try to change anyone's mind.  I'm an opinionated old fart and have been watching NFL games since 1963, so I have some confidence in my knowledge and stand up for my position, but I do my best to never make it personal.  Even when someone is rude to me first, I try to ignore it and stick to the facts, but sometimes I fail.

The only two things that really gets under my skin on Jets boards is when someone tries to twist my words and misrepresent what I said and when someone tries to squelch discussion because they don't like a thread.  Too often times boards of this type dissolve into pissing matches, and egos get in the way.  We all are passionate Jets fans, or we wouldn't be here.  We all have ideas of what we think are the best steps for the team to take in order to win a SB, and who those players should be.  I think that no one would post if we all agreed.  It would be boring.  One thing I know for certain, is that there are always contrasting viewpoints and different "readings" of what is said and how it was said, and someone always has something to say about it for better or worse. LOL

I hear you man and I'm right there with you on those things.  Let's be honest, we Jets fans are a very, um... interesting group.  If nothing else, we're all quite passionate and yes, you certainly nailed it in that try as we might, none of us are ever going to convince each other of anything.  If nothing else, at least we all get to wallow in the misery of this team together.

It's all good.

Don't mind me, I wasn't being serious, just making a joke at my own expense.  One of the few things I can do when posting that won't piss other people off. :tongue:

By day he's the (not so) mild-mannered Bleedin Green, but by night...

TL;DR

#79 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 21,608 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:24 AM

Whatever BG.  JoeKlecko added me as a friend on JN recently.  More than I can say about you, sir.

<3 U

By day he's the (not so) mild-mannered Bleedin Green, but by night...

TL;DR

#80 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 20,001 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

This is all a hope at this point.   The draft picks might be good, they might be cut after next year.  Who knows.  We hope they wind up pro bowl players.   The running game?  Greene had more experience and yards then the guys they have on this team.   Just because people hope some backup to backups in the NFL & college will be a beast doesn't mean the guy will ever be a legit starting RB.    We all hope Ivory winds up being the next Turner.   But he could be the next guy who gets cut or just never plays.    

Next year is an unknown.  If the draft picks are good, then next years draft picks are a definitely chance to become even better.  If the draft picks suck,  there is no guarantee they'll be any better next year.     And the free agents,  if any of these guys wind up with career seasons, they might be gone after a season or just had that one great year.    Landry was a great pickup, except he's long gone now.  What was the point of a one year guy?  That's not building for the future.  And that is another worry with a lot of these signings.  Especially if the team winds up 5-11 or something.

I don't even understand the point of this post. Who's suggesting anything is guaranteed next year? And what does it have to do with having a little patience this year?

It's not "hope" that the Jets will have 10+ draft picks next year, or that they'll have an abundance of cap space. And it's no secret that the Jets had a salary cap problem this year, and still have a couple albatross contracts that need to be shed. They just hired a new GM who I hope knows what he's doing with those picks and that money. That doesn't alter the fact that fans should be patient this year, because the roster still kinda sucks and the resources just weren't there to make the necessary improvements.

Next year, those resources will be available. That's not hope, that's a fact. That's the point of a lot of these one year signings. They didn't have the money to offer better players longer term deals, and the one year deals will lead to cap room next season and can potentially lead to comp picks in 2015. This is a foundation year. A lot of demolition is still going on. The structure really starts to get built -for better or worse- next season.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#81 T0mShane

T0mShane

Mark Sanchez is my spirit animal

• Members
  • 29,248 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

Jet fans should be patient. Even if you're pleased as pie about everything Idzik has done so far, the moves he's made are still largely very conservative. He shored up the defense and the running game, but it's still a passing league, and the Jets are still deficient in that department. People are optimistic about Geno, but he went #39 overall (with a few QB needy teams passing on him twice) for a reason. The Jets receivers and TEs are a below average group (being generous here) until someone proves otherwise. The Jets still don't have a clear plan about the future of the coaching staff, and we could see a disconnect between Rex's short term goals, and Idzik's long term goals this year.

Next year is when the full rebuild takes place. Rex proves himself, or he's gone. Sanchez probably doesn't have that much of a chance. The team will have as many as five extra draft picks and as much as $50M in cap space. That's when the team will get built. This year was a little foundation work in preparation for the coming overhaul, that's all.

After the Tannenbaum Era, this team could use a little conservative. I like that Idzik seems impervious to outside pressure, and just does his job. Though certainly not the first round picks I wanted, I think in three years we'll be pretty pleased with having the players he drafted on this roster.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#82 JoeKlecko

JoeKlecko

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationHigh Point, NC

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:33 PM

I hear you man and I'm right there with you on those things.  Let's be honest, we Jets fans are a very, um... interesting group.  If nothing else, we're all quite passionate and yes, you certainly nailed it in that try as we might, none of us are ever going to convince each other of anything.  If nothing else, at least we all get to wallow in the misery of this team together.

Don't mind me, I wasn't being serious, just making a joke at my own expense.  One of the few things I can do when posting that won't piss other people off. :tongue:

Yes, we are an interesting group.  We're all probably masochistic at the very least, and anyone that's been a fan of this team for more than 10-12 years may have been driven crazy to some extent.  lol   That said, I'm not sure we're any worse than fans of any other football team.  Ever see Raiders fans dressed up in their garb?  lol

No problem.  I'm glad we were able to sort through it.  I look forward to getting to know you and either rejoicing if things work out well, or crying in our beer if the team's woes continue.

Rex Ryan, the bag lady of NFL HCs.

#83 JoeKlecko

JoeKlecko

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationHigh Point, NC

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:34 PM

After the Tannenbaum Era, this team could use a little conservative. I like that Idzik seems impervious to outside pressure, and just does his job. Though certainly not the first round picks I wanted, I think in three years we'll be pretty pleased with having the players he drafted on this roster.

I totally agree, Tom.  Well said.

Rex Ryan, the bag lady of NFL HCs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users