Sign in to follow this  
T0mShane

Jets to work out Josh Cribbs (per Schefter)

T0mShane    90,931

I'd really dig this signing. The Raiders looked at his knee already and he passed the physical. If he's healthy, he can bring a lot of playmaking ability to an offense that has exactly zero of it.

• Upvote 4

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Jetsfan80    72,352

I'd really dig this signing. The Raiders looked at his knee already and he passed the physical. If he's healthy, he can bring a lot of playmaking ability to an offense that has exactly zero of it.

Holy sh** I didn't even know he was on the market.  I like adding Kent State guys too.  First Winters, now Cribbs.  Sign me up.

LAD_Brooklyn    82

Josh Cribbs, Oakland Raiders visit; New York Jets next

Former Cleveland Browns return man Josh Cribbs couldn't find a job early in free agency because his health was in question after he had offseason arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his knee. Cribbs now says he's healthy and is starting to visit teams again.

Free-agent tracker

0ap1000000151660.jpgNFL free agency is underway. Follow all of the latest player rumors and signings in our free-agent tracker.

More...

The two-time Pro Bowl selection visited the Oakland Raiders on Monday and is set to visit "several" more teams, NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday.

If Cribbs still is making visits, it might be a sign he doesn't want to play for the Raiders. Cribbs met with the Arizona Cardinals earlier in the offseason, and a contract reportedly was close. The Cardinals, however, backed off because of Cribbs' health.

UPDATE: Rapoport reported during "NFL Total Access" that Cribbs passed a physical for his knee during his Raiders visit. The Raiders offered Cribbs a contract, per Rapoport, but three other teams are interested.

According to a source, Rapoport said one of the three teams is the New York Jets, whom Cribbs is expected to visit next.

pointman    1,571

Both. Braylon is going to come cheap, and Cribbs is what... a one year prove it contract? We can get both. We could use depth at wide receiver. Proof, last season.

Jetsfan80    72,352

Good point to consider: does Cribbs signing here mean the end of McKnight?

Probably.  If we're going to carry 4 QB's, and Cribbs can contribute on both offense and as a KR, we probably only need to be carrying Ivory, Goodson, Powell, and a practice squad guy at RB.

Edited by Jetsfan80

Maxman    519,271

I think McKnight is done in their eyes. 

rillo    52,061

I'd welcome this, he can do a little of everything. 

JET80TV    8

why is he on the street ? bad knee injury ?

because he is not a real receiver. didnt the browns attempt to run a west coast offense last season? hes devin hester....maybe half that. funny how people want to jump all over signing this dud who was fast but must be approaching 30, yet didnt want the Jets to part w/a 4th rounder for ivory.

pointman    1,571

Who cares? McKnight sucks, and has been treated as such. With that said, I want to see him take more snaps at running back. Powell sucks.

NJ    132,734

Joe McKnight - another can't miss superstar that peaked before he ever got his hands on a football at USC. Get'em all out of here.

CrazyCarl40    49,437

Cribbs is a nice kick returner and not much more. It's not like he'd take WR time from anyone. Don't see the point unless its a one year deal.

Pac    26,346

Don't understand the interest.  Cribbs is a one trick pony and we already have an excellent KR who's still on a rookie contract. 

They better not dare utter the word wildcat as justification. 

aec4    29,346

Cribbs is a nice kick returner and not much more. It's not like he'd take WR time from anyone. Don't see the point unless its a one year deal.

On most teams this is true but have you seen some of our WRS?

• Upvote 1

pointman    1,571

Have you seen our wide receiver corp? He would get more balls thrown his way than Jenna Jameson, on our team.

Pac    26,346

On most teams this is true but have you seen some of our WRS?

Cribbs couldn't hold Clyde Gates' jock as a WR.

Sperm Edwards    338,547

As long as it's not for more than the veteran minimum.  He's a UFA and I'd hate to lose a compensatory pick next year for 1 year of Josh Cribbs in 2013.

Anyone know how that would work if we signed him but cut him before the season? I mean what if we signed him to 1 year $1M (not crazy money, but above the vet min), with some signing bonus - say $250K - but then cut him over the summer or before the final roster cut-down.  Would we still lose a compensatory pick?

pedro55    62

I don't really get this. . He was a hell of a kick returner, but this isn't 2009.   And I'm not sure what the point in signing a kick returner is for one season.  

And who actually thinks this guy is a WR?   His best season was something like 40 receptions.   And he played on the Browns.  A team who isn't exactly known for winning or having top talent.

If the jets were a few players away from contention and a special teams player/kick returner could change a game around, go for it.   But signing a guy that really can only return kicks  to a 1-2 year contract,  seems kind of pointless.  Cribbs is as much a WR as Tebow is a QB.

Edited by pedro55

Jetsfan80    72,352

because he is not a real receiver. didnt the browns attempt to run a west coast offense last season? hes devin hester....maybe half that. funny how people want to jump all over signing this dud who was fast but must be approaching 30, yet didnt want the Jets to part w/a 4th rounder for ivory.

He's a 3-time Pro Bowler who holds 7 Browns records.  He's 29.  What would be the problem with bringing him in?