Jets to work out Josh Cribbs (per Schefter)

T0mShane

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maybe instead of being sad that the team is going to stink, I can just stop caring.

Like when the Knicks were terrible for all those years and being a Knicks fan wasn't a thing people did. 

F*** that.  The revolution is happening right now and we are all witnesses.  I'm not convinced we're gonna suck so badly next year, and even if we do, I'm excited.  You should be too. 

The Knicks fans who disappeared aren't allowed to enjoy their success a fraction as much as the suffering Knicks fans do.  Sort of like the Cowboys fans in Louisiana who suddenly came out of the woodwork as Saints fans in the Brees era.  F*** them.

maybe instead of being sad that the team is going to stink, I can just stop caring.

Like when the Knicks were terrible for all those years and being a Knicks fan wasn't a thing people did. 

Why not just do what you want?  Nobody can tell you how to root.  We'll all be doing the same thing Sunday.  Even the mutts rooting for draft position.  You think they are going to absolutely suck?  Big deal.  It's not even June yet.  There may be something to be said for patience.  Listen to Woody.

Yep forgot about that.  Testaverde, FWIW, is near the top of the NFL charts in nearly every QB category possible, and Favre is a HOFer.  Every other QB we've had has basically sucked. 

And for evidence, just look at what some of those QB's we had did before they arrived and/or after they left New York and those "terrible" offensive coordinators.  Brooks Bollinger?  Quincy Carter?  Kellen Clemens?  Pennington with Miami?  All did exactly zero. 

Wrong... Pennington won 11 games and the AFC East.

Wrong... Pennington won 11 games and the AFC East.

One hit wonder.  The NFL figured him out thereafter and he was mediocre at best the rest of his career.  He's like Daunte Culpepper. 

We haven't had great QB play so we don't know what great QB play looks like.  Colts and Packers fans are spoiled.

Why not just do what you want?  Nobody can tell you how to root.  We'll all be doing the same thing Sunday.  Even the mutts rooting for draft position.  You think they are going to absolutely suck?  Big deal.  It's not even June yet.  There may be something to be said for patience.  Listen to Woody.

You had me until this.

agree completely. Jets fans have been permanently scarred by Hackett. As it turned out firing Schotty wasn't addition by subtraction. Good luck trying to explain that last spring. People thought he was the devil.

Yeah, he totally proved us all wrong last year with the Rams. The Jets offense sucked last year with no QB. The Rams scored a whopping 1 (one) point per game more than us. Schottenheimer sucks.

Yep forgot about that.  Testaverde, FWIW, is near the top of the NFL charts in nearly every QB category possible, and Favre is a HOFer.  Every other QB we've had has basically sucked. 

And for evidence, just look at what some of those QB's we had did before they arrived and/or after they left New York and those "terrible" offensive coordinators.  Brooks Bollinger?  Quincy Carter?  Kellen Clemens?  Pennington with Miami?  All did exactly zero. 

You're wrong about Pennington.  He had a very, very good season with Miami.  He started all 16 games, completed 67.4 percent of his passes, threw for 3,653 yards averaging 7.67 ypc, 19 TDs, 7 interceptions and had a QB rating of 97.4.

There's no disputing the fact that Jets' QBs by and large have sucked balls over most of their history, but to try to excuse away the problems with their OCs as being on the QBs is flat out wrong.  Schottenheimer IS awful.  I've pretty much blocked him out now, but a couple of years ago, could give a valid list of 15-20 reasons why he sucked and should have been fired years before he was.  I don't think he's qualified to coach Pop Warner, much less in the NFL.

You're wrong about Pennington.  He had a very, very good season with Miami.  He started all 16 games, completed 67.4 percent of his passes, threw for 3,653 yards averaging 7.67 ypc, 19 TDs, 7 interceptions and had a QB rating of 97.4.

There's no disputing the fact that Jets' QBs by and large have sucked balls over most of their history, but to try to excuse away the problems with their OCs as being on the QBs is flat out wrong.  Schottenheimer IS awful.  I've pretty much blocked him out now, but a couple of years ago, could give a valid list of 15-20 reasons why he sucked and should have been fired years before he was.  I don't think he's qualified to coach Pop Warner, much less in the NFL.

I don't know man, Chad gets waaaaay too much credit for that season.  The Dolphins needed the starting QBs of the 2 significantly better division teams to get hurt to win the division on a tiebreaker and then what happened?  Pennington did what he's most famous for, play laughably bad come playoff time.  As you may recall, our very own Rex Ryan openly mocked Pennington prior to the game and then had his defense completely embarrass Penny throughout the entire game.  While his regular season may not have necessarily been bad, the truth is Pennington was nothing more than mediocre for pretty much his entire career outside of most of his 2002 season, right up until the point that Oakland showed the entire league what he really was.  The truth is, the only reason his career stats weren't any worse is because of how unbelievably scared he played the game of football.  It's the same reason he was incapable of ever beating a quality defense and would play so embarrassingly in the playoffs.

Sparano had some success in Dallas as an OC.  I think their offense was top 10 in 2006.  And Schottenheimer did pretty well with Favre, though of course he hasn't done much in STL with Sam Bradford being hurt and/or possibly being terrible.  Hackett was in the league a long time.  Heimerdinger may have sucked. 

But whatevs.  No team in the league talks about offensive coordinators more than Jets fans.  They can certainly have an impact, positive or negative, but I'd say 75 % of a team's offensive success comes down to the QB, and moreso than ever.  It was always funny listening to people like the Ape talking about "root trees".  It doesn't matter how open receivers are if the QB can't get it to them.  The best QB's fit the ball into tight spaces, creating openings that don't even seem to exist sometimes.  Aaron Rodgers doesn't give a sh** about your root trees.  As long as he's on the same page with his receivers most of the time, he'll get it to them.  And we all know Peyton Manning doesn't need an offensive coordinator.  He already is one.

I think Defensive Coordinators have FAR more of an impact on the game than OC's, for that matter. 

Actually, Sparano did NOT have success as an OC in Dallas.  He was OC in name only.  He only called plays for the first 2-3 games then that was taken away from him.  I forget who took over most of his responsibilities, but Sparano gets little credit for Dallas.

Also, Schottenheimer did not have success with Favre.  It's fairly common knowledge that Favre said that Schottenheimer's system was sh*t and refused to use it.  For all intents and purposes, Schotty's system went out the window when Favre was here.

I pretty much agree with the last 2 paragraphs, but if Rodgers or Manning had been saddled with an OC like Schotty, I don't think they'd ever have become the QBSs they are.

I don't know man, Chad gets waaaaay too much credit for that season.  The Dolphins needed the starting QBs of the 2 significantly better division teams to get hurt to win the division on a tiebreaker and then what happened?  Pennington did what he's most famous for, play laughably bad come playoff time.  As you may recall, our very own Rex Ryan openly mocked Pennington prior to the game and then had his defense completely embarrass Penny throughout the entire game.  While his regular season may not have necessarily been bad, the truth is Pennington was nothing more than mediocre for pretty much his entire career outside of most of his 2002 season, right up until the point that Oakland showed the entire league what he really was.  The truth is, the only reason his career stats weren't any worse is because of how unbelievably scared he played the game of football.  It's the same reason he was incapable of ever beating a quality defense and would play so embarrassingly in the playoffs.

We totally disagree on this.  He had a very limited arm, but I think he was much better than you do.  I'll just leave it at that.

We totally disagree on this.  He had a very limited arm, but I think he was much better than you do.  I'll just leave it at that.

Fair enough.  Probably for the best to leave it at that, as if we get into a Chad argument I could end up being up all night. :tongue:

Let's just say, as many around here can attest to, I was not a fan.

agree completely. Jets fans have been permanently scarred by Hackett. As it turned out firing Schotty wasn't addition by subtraction. Good luck trying to explain that last spring. People thought he was the devil. 

I have word from a trusted anonymous source that Schottenheimers, IS in fact, the Devil.

Fair enough.  Probably for the best to leave it at that, as if we get into a Chad argument I could end up being up all night. :tongue:

Let's just say, as many around here can attest to, I was not a fan.

LOL. Wouldn't want to keep you up all night.  I can understand your not being a fan of his.  A friend on another site whose opinion I greatly respect, couldn't stand him because of his lack of arm strength.  

I watched him play at Marshall and wanted the Jets to draft him, then was very excited when they did.  I think his play in the NFL was negatively affected by his injuries.  I don't recall his ever being seriously hurt while at Marshall, but could be wrong.  I think that if the injuries hadn't robbed him of what arm strength he had and derailed his career, he could have been a very good QB for the Jets.  He would never have been at a Manning or Rodgers level, but he didn't have to be.  He was very accurate, threw the ball where the receivers could get YAC, was smart and a leader.  I think in a WCO system surrounded with excellent WRs and with an OC who wasn't so predictable, have such screwy play design, try to get too cute and wound up overthinking things, the Jets could have piled up a lot of wins and possibly at least a SB appearance or two.

John Idzik: Josh Cribbs isn’t quite there yet physically

Posted by Josh Alper on May 14, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT

Joshua Cribbs, Chris KelsayAP

Josh Cribbs has spent the last week or so paying visits to various NFL teams in hopes of proving his knee is sound and landing a job for the coming season, but one of the teams didn’t think the kick return ace was fully recovered.

Conor Orr of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that Jets General Manager John Idzik said that the team had a good meeting with Cribbs last week, but found during Cribbs’ physical that the former Brown “isn’t quite there yet” after having surgery to repair a torn meniscus. There’s no word on whether or not the Jets have ruled out signing Cribbs.

Cribbs’ need to recover from that surgery squashed an early round of interest in the free agent, including a reported deal with the Cardinals. He has visited with the Giants, Raiders and Lions recently and told the Lions’ website Monday that he planned to take a couple of days to weigh his choices before signing any deal.

If the other teams share Idzik’s opinion, Cribbs might have to wait a bit longer than that to sign his deal.

John Idzik: Josh Cribbs isn’t quite there yet physically

Posted by Josh Alper on May 14, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT

Joshua Cribbs, Chris KelsayAP

Josh Cribbs has spent the last week or so paying visits to various NFL teams in hopes of proving his knee is sound and landing a job for the coming season, but one of the teams didn’t think the kick return ace was fully recovered.

Conor Orr of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that Jets General Manager John Idzik said that the team had a good meeting with Cribbs last week, but found during Cribbs’ physical that the former Brown “isn’t quite there yet” after having surgery to repair a torn meniscus. There’s no word on whether or not the Jets have ruled out signing Cribbs.

Cribbs’ need to recover from that surgery squashed an early round of interest in the free agent, including a reported deal with the Cardinals. He has visited with the Giants, Raiders and Lions recently and told the Lions’ website Monday that he planned to take a couple of days to weigh his choices before signing any deal.

If the other teams share Idzik’s opinion, Cribbs might have to wait a bit longer than that to sign his deal.

But I thought Bit said we weren't trying?  Clearly everybody wants this guy so we're making a big mistake not signing him.  Clearly.

But I thought Bit said we weren't trying?  Clearly everybody wants this guy so we're making a big mistake not signing him.  Clearly.

Correction the whole board knows the Jets aren't trying. I was upset by it.  My fellow fans convinced me that the way to success is by crawling through a river of sh*t. Like shawshank. 

I don't know man, Chad gets waaaaay too much credit for that season. The Dolphins needed the starting QBs of the 2 significantly better division teams to get hurt to win the division on a tiebreaker and then what happened? Pennington did what he's most famous for, play laughably bad come playoff time. As you may recall, our very own Rex Ryan openly mocked Pennington prior to the game and then had his defense completely embarrass Penny throughout the entire game. While his regular season may not have necessarily been bad, the truth is Pennington was nothing more than mediocre for pretty much his entire career outside of most of his 2002 season, right up until the point that Oakland showed the entire league what he really was. The truth is, the only reason his career stats weren't any worse is because of how unbelievably scared he played the game of football. It's the same reason he was incapable of ever beating a quality defense and would play so embarrassingly in the playoffs.

Pennington had such a great year, they went all wildcat on the league and Ronnie Brown took half the snaps!

Correction the whole board knows the Jets aren't trying. I was upset by it.  My fellow fans convinced me that the way to success is by crawling through a river of sh*t. Like shawshank. 

Too good a movie for this reference to be associated with your delusional fallacy.

ugh. don't make me get out a dictionary. 

dichotomy...  it's like when they cut out half your brains and stuff.  like what they did to Jack Nicklaus in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.

How about both of the people incapable of expressing themselves without resorting to false dichotomy?

Hey, don't bring me into this I was just defending a good movie, from a bad metaphorical comparison. 

Archived