Jets to work out Josh Cribbs (per Schefter)

T0mShane

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd really dig this signing. The Raiders looked at his knee already and he passed the physical. If he's healthy, he can bring a lot of playmaking ability to an offense that has exactly zero of it.

Holy sh** I didn't even know he was on the market.  I like adding Kent State guys too.  First Winters, now Cribbs.  Sign me up.

Josh Cribbs, Oakland Raiders visit; New York Jets next

Former Cleveland Browns return man Josh Cribbs couldn't find a job early in free agency because his health was in question after he had offseason arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his knee. Cribbs now says he's healthy and is starting to visit teams again.

Free-agent tracker

0ap1000000151660.jpgNFL free agency is underway. Follow all of the latest player rumors and signings in our free-agent tracker.

More...

The two-time Pro Bowl selection visited the Oakland Raiders on Monday and is set to visit "several" more teams, NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday.

If Cribbs still is making visits, it might be a sign he doesn't want to play for the Raiders. Cribbs met with the Arizona Cardinals earlier in the offseason, and a contract reportedly was close. The Cardinals, however, backed off because of Cribbs' health.

UPDATE: Rapoport reported during "NFL Total Access" that Cribbs passed a physical for his knee during his Raiders visit. The Raiders offered Cribbs a contract, per Rapoport, but three other teams are interested.

According to a source, Rapoport said one of the three teams is the New York Jets, whom Cribbs is expected to visit next.

Good point to consider: does Cribbs signing here mean the end of McKnight?

Probably.  If we're going to carry 4 QB's, and Cribbs can contribute on both offense and as a KR, we probably only need to be carrying Ivory, Goodson, Powell, and a practice squad guy at RB.

why is he on the street ? bad knee injury ?

because he is not a real receiver. didnt the browns attempt to run a west coast offense last season? hes devin hester....maybe half that. funny how people want to jump all over signing this dud who was fast but must be approaching 30, yet didnt want the Jets to part w/a 4th rounder for ivory.

Don't understand the interest.  Cribbs is a one trick pony and we already have an excellent KR who's still on a rookie contract. 

They better not dare utter the word wildcat as justification. 

Cribbs is a nice kick returner and not much more. It's not like he'd take WR time from anyone. Don't see the point unless its a one year deal.

On most teams this is true but have you seen some of our WRS?

Cribbs is a nice kick returner and not much more. It's not like he'd take WR time from anyone. Don't see the point unless its a one year deal.

Have you seen our wide receiver corp? He would get more balls thrown his way than Jenna Jameson, on our team.

As long as it's not for more than the veteran minimum.  He's a UFA and I'd hate to lose a compensatory pick next year for 1 year of Josh Cribbs in 2013.

Anyone know how that would work if we signed him but cut him before the season? I mean what if we signed him to 1 year $1M (not crazy money, but above the vet min), with some signing bonus - say $250K - but then cut him over the summer or before the final roster cut-down.  Would we still lose a compensatory pick?

I don't really get this. . He was a hell of a kick returner, but this isn't 2009.   And I'm not sure what the point in signing a kick returner is for one season.  

And who actually thinks this guy is a WR?   His best season was something like 40 receptions.   And he played on the Browns.  A team who isn't exactly known for winning or having top talent.

If the jets were a few players away from contention and a special teams player/kick returner could change a game around, go for it.   But signing a guy that really can only return kicks  to a 1-2 year contract,  seems kind of pointless.  Cribbs is as much a WR as Tebow is a QB.

because he is not a real receiver. didnt the browns attempt to run a west coast offense last season? hes devin hester....maybe half that. funny how people want to jump all over signing this dud who was fast but must be approaching 30, yet didnt want the Jets to part w/a 4th rounder for ivory.

He's a 3-time Pro Bowler who holds 7 Browns records.  He's 29.  What would be the problem with bringing him in?   

His best season was something like 40 receptions.   And he played on the Browns.  A team who isn't exactly known for winning or having top talent.

Wait, so the Browns are a terrible org, yet Cribbs caught 40 balls in '11?  Shouldn't you be praising him for this?

He also had 15 TD's (4 receiving, 8 on KR's, 3 on PR's) that season.  Not too shabby.  Unless we're talking about overpaying the guy to bring him in,  I fail to see the problem here.

He's a 3-time Pro Bowler who holds 7 Browns records.  He's 29.  What would be the problem with bringing him in?   

He's a kick returner.   He wasn't a pro bowl WR.    Bringing in a 29 year old Kick Returner for a one year deal is really kind of pointless.  It doesn't do anything for the Jets.   And Mcknight was an all pro returner.   Nobody wants him around, so why bring in an older version.   Cribbs was a far better returner, but again, signing a guy like Cribbs to a one year deal just seems pointless.

He's a kick returner.   He wasn't a pro bowl WR.    Bringing in a 29 year old Kick Returner for a one year deal is really kind of pointless.  It doesn't do anything for the Jets.   And Mcknight was an all pro returner.   Nobody wants him around, so why bring in an older version.   Cribbs was a far better returner, but again, signing a guy like Cribbs to a one year deal just seems pointless.

McKnight is "just a kick returner" too.  Do you think he contributes much this year as the # 4 RB?  At least Cribbs brings the POSSIBILITY that he could contribute to the offense.  

We're already going to about max out the compensatory picks we can get for next season (especially if Moore signs elsewhere) so we really don't lose anything by bringing in Cribbs for that 1-year deal you speak of.

It also speaks volumes that several teams are interested in him right now.  No kick returner would get this kind of interest if he didn't have the ability to contribute in multiple ways.  Even the Pats (notorious for looking for guys who contribute in multiple ways) were interested before signing Leon Washington.

Wait, so the Browns are a terrible org, yet Cribbs caught 40 balls in '11?  Shouldn't you be praising him for this?

He also had 15 TD's (4 receiving, 8 on KR's, 3 on PR's) that season.  Not too shabby.  Unless we're talking about overpaying the guy to bring him in,  I fail to see the problem here.

Cribbs caught how many balls last season?    Hill caught how many with the Jets?

And McKnight was an all pro a couple season back for his special teams.    Whats the point in bringing in a one year special teams guy when you already have a guy.      

McKnight is "just a kick returner" too.  Do you think he contributes much this year as the # 4 RB?  At least Cribbs brings the POSSIBILITY that he could contribute to the offense.  

According to who?   Cribbs had 7 receptions last year.   That's not contributing.   Mcknight had 30 carries.      

It's great to see Cribbs from a few years back, but this isn't 2009.  Hell it's not even 2011.    Cribbs was a great special teams player and I'm sure he will make some plays now and again this season.    But what's the difference between McKnight and Cribbs at this point?  One guy is a bad RB.  The other is a bad WR.     And Mcknight is cheap and already here.   Cribbs is a wasted one year contract.  

It's funny how fans throw out that Tebow sucks, Mcknight sucks,etc  but guys from other teams who aren't anything to brag about get hyped up.  Cribbs is a special teams returner.  that's it.  Thinking the guy is suddenly a WR is kind of a joke.

Archived