•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Jets to work out Josh Cribbs (per Schefter)

• Please log in to reply
238 replies to this topic

#26 pointman

pointman

sandwiches are good.

• Members
  • 6,395 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

Cribbs is a nice kick returner and not much more. It's not like he'd take WR time from anyone. Don't see the point unless its a one year deal.

Have you seen our wide receiver corp? He would get more balls thrown his way than Jenna Jameson, on our team.

#27 Pac

Pac

shark jumper

• Members
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:28 PM

On most teams this is true but have you seen some of our WRS?

Cribbs couldn't hold Clyde Gates' jock as a WR.

#28 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 28,700 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

As long as it's not for more than the veteran minimum.  He's a UFA and I'd hate to lose a compensatory pick next year for 1 year of Josh Cribbs in 2013.

Anyone know how that would work if we signed him but cut him before the season? I mean what if we signed him to 1 year $1M (not crazy money, but above the vet min), with some signing bonus - say $250K - but then cut him over the summer or before the final roster cut-down.  Would we still lose a compensatory pick?

JetNation.com

#29 pedro55

pedro55

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:13 PM

I don't really get this. . He was a hell of a kick returner, but this isn't 2009.   And I'm not sure what the point in signing a kick returner is for one season.  

And who actually thinks this guy is a WR?   His best season was something like 40 receptions.   And he played on the Browns.  A team who isn't exactly known for winning or having top talent.

If the jets were a few players away from contention and a special teams player/kick returner could change a game around, go for it.   But signing a guy that really can only return kicks  to a 1-2 year contract,  seems kind of pointless.  Cribbs is as much a WR as Tebow is a QB.

Edited by pedro55, 08 May 2013 - 11:14 PM.

#30 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 46,564 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

because he is not a real receiver. didnt the browns attempt to run a west coast offense last season? hes devin hester....maybe half that. funny how people want to jump all over signing this dud who was fast but must be approaching 30, yet didnt want the Jets to part w/a 4th rounder for ivory.

He's a 3-time Pro Bowler who holds 7 Browns records.  He's 29.  What would be the problem with bringing him in?   

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#31 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 46,564 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:15 PM

His best season was something like 40 receptions.   And he played on the Browns.  A team who isn't exactly known for winning or having top talent.

Wait, so the Browns are a terrible org, yet Cribbs caught 40 balls in '11?  Shouldn't you be praising him for this?

He also had 15 TD's (4 receiving, 8 on KR's, 3 on PR's) that season.  Not too shabby.  Unless we're talking about overpaying the guy to bring him in,  I fail to see the problem here.

Edited by Jetsfan80, 08 May 2013 - 11:18 PM.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#32 pedro55

pedro55

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:18 PM

He's a 3-time Pro Bowler who holds 7 Browns records.  He's 29.  What would be the problem with bringing him in?   

He's a kick returner.   He wasn't a pro bowl WR.    Bringing in a 29 year old Kick Returner for a one year deal is really kind of pointless.  It doesn't do anything for the Jets.   And Mcknight was an all pro returner.   Nobody wants him around, so why bring in an older version.   Cribbs was a far better returner, but again, signing a guy like Cribbs to a one year deal just seems pointless.

#33 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 46,564 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:20 PM

He's a kick returner.   He wasn't a pro bowl WR.    Bringing in a 29 year old Kick Returner for a one year deal is really kind of pointless.  It doesn't do anything for the Jets.   And Mcknight was an all pro returner.   Nobody wants him around, so why bring in an older version.   Cribbs was a far better returner, but again, signing a guy like Cribbs to a one year deal just seems pointless.

McKnight is "just a kick returner" too.  Do you think he contributes much this year as the # 4 RB?  At least Cribbs brings the POSSIBILITY that he could contribute to the offense.  

We're already going to about max out the compensatory picks we can get for next season (especially if Moore signs elsewhere) so we really don't lose anything by bringing in Cribbs for that 1-year deal you speak of.

It also speaks volumes that several teams are interested in him right now.  No kick returner would get this kind of interest if he didn't have the ability to contribute in multiple ways.  Even the Pats (notorious for looking for guys who contribute in multiple ways) were interested before signing Leon Washington.

Edited by Jetsfan80, 08 May 2013 - 11:23 PM.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#34 pedro55

pedro55

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:20 PM

Wait, so the Browns are a terrible org, yet Cribbs caught 40 balls in '11?  Shouldn't you be praising him for this?

He also had 15 TD's (4 receiving, 8 on KR's, 3 on PR's) that season.  Not too shabby.  Unless we're talking about overpaying the guy to bring him in,  I fail to see the problem here.

Cribbs caught how many balls last season?    Hill caught how many with the Jets?

And McKnight was an all pro a couple season back for his special teams.    Whats the point in bringing in a one year special teams guy when you already have a guy.      

#35 pedro55

pedro55

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:23 PM

McKnight is "just a kick returner" too.  Do you think he contributes much this year as the # 4 RB?  At least Cribbs brings the POSSIBILITY that he could contribute to the offense.  

According to who?   Cribbs had 7 receptions last year.   That's not contributing.   Mcknight had 30 carries.      

It's great to see Cribbs from a few years back, but this isn't 2009.  Hell it's not even 2011.    Cribbs was a great special teams player and I'm sure he will make some plays now and again this season.    But what's the difference between McKnight and Cribbs at this point?  One guy is a bad RB.  The other is a bad WR.     And Mcknight is cheap and already here.   Cribbs is a wasted one year contract.  

It's funny how fans throw out that Tebow sucks, Mcknight sucks,etc  but guys from other teams who aren't anything to brag about get hyped up.  Cribbs is a special teams returner.  that's it.  Thinking the guy is suddenly a WR is kind of a joke.

Edited by pedro55, 08 May 2013 - 11:24 PM.

#36 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 46,564 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:25 PM

According to who?   Cribbs had 7 receptions last year.   That's not contributing.   Mcknight had 30 carries.      

McKnight sits behind Ivory, Goodson, and Powell on the RB depth chart.  He won't even be dressing for games on Sunday's unless he wins the KR/PR jobs outright.

7 catches > 0 carries.  And I guarantee we inject him into the offense more than that given our lack of playmakers (something many people complained we didn't get in the draft).

Edited by Jetsfan80, 08 May 2013 - 11:26 PM.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#37 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 46,564 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:27 PM

It's funny how fans throw out that Tebow sucks, Mcknight sucks,etc  but guys from other teams who aren't anything to brag about get hyped up.  Cribbs is a special teams returner.  that's it.  Thinking the guy is suddenly a WR is kind of a joke.

Remember when we tried McKnight at WR and it failed miserably?  Yeah.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#38 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 28,700 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:28 PM

Yeah, I'm not feeling this one either.

JetNation.com

#39 Smashmouth

Smashmouth

Make us proud Wrecks

• Members
  • 13,162 posts
  • LocationDallas Tx.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:50 PM

Josh Cribbs would mean the end of McKnight IMO. But hes not a good receiver on offense he will basically be another Brad Smith. If we do sign Cribbs we should also sign Edwards.

Proud Member of the AVM

#40 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 27,248 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:33 AM

I thought the clock tower was UT-Austin.

Well, that's just awful.

Edited by T0mShane, 09 May 2013 - 04:07 AM.

Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#41 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,382 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:00 AM

On most teams this is true but have you seen some of our WRS?

Have you seen our wide receiver corp? He would get more balls thrown his way than Jenna Jameson, on our team.

Yes I have.  Would you like him to play over whom? Holmes? Hill? Kerley? Some young kid who might break out?

I'd rather we be looking for a tight end.

#42 whodeawhodat

whodeawhodat

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationI was up above it, now I'm down in it.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

Cribbs couldn't hold Clyde Gates' jock as a WR.

what is this, Clyde's 4th year?  You think he is ready to break out?

#43 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 27,545 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:01 AM

I'd prefer Cribbs to Edwards.  Seems more like a yac guy, but he hasn't had much success at WR. He also is used to playing with sh*tty QBs which is an apparent prerequisite.  We do need a punt returner.

what is this, Clyde's 4th year?  You think he is ready to break out?

It will be his 3rd year and I think he is just giving the kiss of death to my dream.  Cribbs and Gates do have similar ypg and rpg numbers.  

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#44 whodeawhodat

whodeawhodat

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

I'd prefer Cribbs to Edwards.  Seems more like a yac guy, but he hasn't had much success at WR. He also is used to playing with sh*tty QBs which is an apparent prerequisite.  We do need a punt returner.

It will be his 3rd year and I think he is just giving the kiss of death to my dream.  Cribbs and Gates do have similar ypg and rpg numbers.  

that dream was a pipe dream man.  Not that I don't want to see Gates blow it up but if he hasn't done it in his first 3 years, well, he had 3 years more than others to prove he can put his measurables to good use on a football field.  my $0.02.

#45 Integrity28

Integrity28

I love it when Idzik's plan comes together.

• Members
  • 33,804 posts
  • Locationwrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

I'd really dig this signing. The Raiders looked at his knee already and he passed the physical. If he's healthy, he can bring a lot of playmaking ability to an offense that has exactly zero of it.

LOL, you are some piece of work... Cribbs is a proven return-man, beyond that he's never been able to actually play WR or RB, just gets used for gimmick plays.

I support adding Cribbs, but the notion that he's the "answer" to "we needz playmakerzzzz" is retarded.

"Idz a process."

Posted Image

#46 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 27,545 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:19 AM

that dream was a pipe dream man.  Not that I don't want to see Gates blow it up but if he hasn't done it in his first 3 years, well, he had 3 years more than others to prove he can put his measurables to good use on a football field.  my $0.02.

First two years and I don't expect him to be Steve Smith.  OTOH, I wouldn't be shocked if he is able to put up 35-50 with 500-800 yards.  Something like that.  I wouldn't consider that "blowing up" but I would be a pleasant surprise.  Viable WR territory. 

#47 Integrity28

Integrity28

I love it when Idzik's plan comes together.

• Members
  • 33,804 posts
  • Locationwrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

First two years and I don't expect him to be Steve Smith.  OTOH, I wouldn't be shocked if he is able to put up 35-50 with 500-800 yards.  Something like that.  I wouldn't consider that "blowing up" but I would be a pleasant surprise.  Viable WR territory. 

This.

We aren't going to have any 80+ catch WRs, but if we have a lot of 40 catch guys, and don't turn the ball over, we'll produce some offense.

"Idz a process."

Posted Image

#48 whodeawhodat

whodeawhodat

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

This.

We aren't going to have any 80+ catch WRs, but if we have a lot of 40 catch guys, and don't turn the ball over, we'll produce some offense.

They have to get open.  I saw no separation from any of the JAGs we had running around out there for the last part of the season.  maybe it was because of play design but I think it has something to do with personnel.

#49 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 27,545 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

This.

Our new rallying cry:  Some Offense!  Better than none!

#50 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,937 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

mehta just said Cribbs visited on Weds and did not get a formal offer from the Jets. Considering the fact that the Raiders offered him a deal and he's got 2 more visits, this is an unlikely addition to the Jets. 

on a side note Sperm says he doesn't want Cribbs for more than vet min. The front office probably agrees. and therein lies the problem. the Jets can't compete in a free agent market when all they are offering is the minimum, time and time again. It's fun to imagine that all these teams are wrong and the bargain basement is really where all the value is... but that's not how life works.

You get what you pay for and right now the Jets are paying for garbage. 

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users