Jets to work out Josh Cribbs (per Schefter)

T0mShane

According to who?   Cribbs had 7 receptions last year.   That's not contributing.   Mcknight had 30 carries.      

McKnight sits behind Ivory, Goodson, and Powell on the RB depth chart.  He won't even be dressing for games on Sunday's unless he wins the KR/PR jobs outright.

7 catches > 0 carries.  And I guarantee we inject him into the offense more than that given our lack of playmakers (something many people complained we didn't get in the draft).

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny how fans throw out that Tebow sucks, Mcknight sucks,etc  but guys from other teams who aren't anything to brag about get hyped up.  Cribbs is a special teams returner.  that's it.  Thinking the guy is suddenly a WR is kind of a joke.

Remember when we tried McKnight at WR and it failed miserably?  Yeah.

He's a kick returner.   He wasn't a pro bowl WR.    Bringing in a 29 year old Kick Returner for a one year deal is really kind of pointless.  It doesn't do anything for the Jets.   And Mcknight was an all pro returner.   Nobody wants him around, so why bring in an older version.   Cribbs was a far better returner, but again, signing a guy like Cribbs to a one year deal just seems pointless.

Yeah, I'm not feeling this one either.

On most teams this is true but have you seen some of our WRS?

Have you seen our wide receiver corp? He would get more balls thrown his way than Jenna Jameson, on our team.

Yes I have.  Would you like him to play over whom? Holmes? Hill? Kerley? Some young kid who might break out?

I'd rather we be looking for a tight end.

I'd prefer Cribbs to Edwards.  Seems more like a yac guy, but he hasn't had much success at WR. He also is used to playing with sh*tty QBs which is an apparent prerequisite.  We do need a punt returner.

what is this, Clyde's 4th year?  You think he is ready to break out?

It will be his 3rd year and I think he is just giving the kiss of death to my dream.  Cribbs and Gates do have similar ypg and rpg numbers.  

I'd prefer Cribbs to Edwards.  Seems more like a yac guy, but he hasn't had much success at WR. He also is used to playing with sh*tty QBs which is an apparent prerequisite.  We do need a punt returner.

It will be his 3rd year and I think he is just giving the kiss of death to my dream.  Cribbs and Gates do have similar ypg and rpg numbers.  

that dream was a pipe dream man.  Not that I don't want to see Gates blow it up but if he hasn't done it in his first 3 years, well, he had 3 years more than others to prove he can put his measurables to good use on a football field.  my $0.02.

I'd really dig this signing. The Raiders looked at his knee already and he passed the physical. If he's healthy, he can bring a lot of playmaking ability to an offense that has exactly zero of it.

LOL, you are some piece of work... Cribbs is a proven return-man, beyond that he's never been able to actually play WR or RB, just gets used for gimmick plays.

I support adding Cribbs, but the notion that he's the "answer" to "we needz playmakerzzzz" is retarded.

that dream was a pipe dream man.  Not that I don't want to see Gates blow it up but if he hasn't done it in his first 3 years, well, he had 3 years more than others to prove he can put his measurables to good use on a football field.  my $0.02.

First two years and I don't expect him to be Steve Smith.  OTOH, I wouldn't be shocked if he is able to put up 35-50 with 500-800 yards.  Something like that.  I wouldn't consider that "blowing up" but I would be a pleasant surprise.  Viable WR territory. 

First two years and I don't expect him to be Steve Smith.  OTOH, I wouldn't be shocked if he is able to put up 35-50 with 500-800 yards.  Something like that.  I wouldn't consider that "blowing up" but I would be a pleasant surprise.  Viable WR territory. 

This.

We aren't going to have any 80+ catch WRs, but if we have a lot of 40 catch guys, and don't turn the ball over, we'll produce some offense.

This.

We aren't going to have any 80+ catch WRs, but if we have a lot of 40 catch guys, and don't turn the ball over, we'll produce some offense.

They have to get open.  I saw no separation from any of the JAGs we had running around out there for the last part of the season.  maybe it was because of play design but I think it has something to do with personnel.

mehta just said Cribbs visited on Weds and did not get a formal offer from the Jets. Considering the fact that the Raiders offered him a deal and he's got 2 more visits, this is an unlikely addition to the Jets. 

on a side note Sperm says he doesn't want Cribbs for more than vet min. The front office probably agrees. and therein lies the problem. the Jets can't compete in a free agent market when all they are offering is the minimum, time and time again. It's fun to imagine that all these teams are wrong and the bargain basement is really where all the value is... but that's not how life works.

You get what you pay for and right now the Jets are paying for garbage. 

Yes I have.  Would you like him to play over whom? Holmes? Hill? Kerley? Some young kid who might break out?

I'd rather we be looking for a tight end.

Holmes is still up in the air with his injury. Hill is fragile, so far. Kerley is tiny. Last year we relied on total nobodies, leftover trash from other teams, to get us through the season. Cribbs is a dynamic player. If he comes in cheap, or as a one year rental... there is no downside. 

mehta just said Cribbs visited on Weds and did not get a formal offer from the Jets. Considering the fact that the Raiders offered him a deal and he's got 2 more visits, this is an unlikely addition to the Jets. 

on a side note Sperm says he doesn't want Cribbs for more than vet min. The front office probably agrees. and therein lies the problem. the Jets can't compete in a free agent market when all they are offering is the minimum, time and time again. It's fun to imagine that all these teams are wrong and the bargain basement is really where all the value is... but that's not how life works.

You get what you pay for and right now the Jets are paying for garbage. 

They're recovering from the mess Tanny left behind and adding cheap alternatives with something to prove.  Next year they'll be much bigger players in FA...

You know this..  why the long face?

Cruelty springs from weakness.

Bro I think I beat you on the Clyde Gates bandwaggon by 20 minutes or so..  check the time stamp on the thread where it all started.

If anything you're giving my dream the kiss of death...  but I choose to think brilliant minds think alike.

Bro I think I beat you on the Clyde Gates bandwaggon by 20 minutes or so..  check the time stamp on the thread where it all started.

If anything you're giving my dream the kiss of death...  but I choose to think brilliant minds think alike.

Not even close, oh crusher of dreams.  I was on Clyde Gates long ago.

They're recovering from the mess Tanny left behind and adding cheap alternatives with something to prove.  Next year they'll be much bigger players in FA...

You know this..  why the long face?

it's like shopping in the generic aisle at the supermarket. the fans want Coca Cola and Idzik puts America's Choice Cola in the cart. 

Why the long face? Because it sux. Oh yeah it's great for the bottom line. But this season is shaping up to be unwatchable. 

we have 3 pages of thread about a player who the Jets won't sign. The jets can only sign players no one wants, for the vet minimum. Um... okie. 

it's like shopping in the generic aisle at the supermarket. the fans want Coca Cola and Idzik puts America's Choice Cola in the cart. 

Why the long face? Because it sux. Oh yeah it's great for the bottom line. But this season is shaping up to be unwatchable. 

we have 3 pages of thread about a player who the Jets won't sign. The jets can only sign players no one wants, for the vet minimum. Um... okie. 

It's not like some big signing is going to get us to the Super Bowl, and almost no one wants to be here.  I'd rather go the cheap route this year and then next season we can be players on the FA market.  Especially if Geno Smith is the goods.  Who wouldn't want to be part of a team with an exciting young QB? 

Speaking of Geno, he alone makes this season VERY watchable.  You get this, right?  The prospect of having a potential franchise QB is ALWAYS cause for some optimism.

We're so used to spending big on guys like Calvin Pace and Santonio Holmes we fail to realize that's not how any successful team should be built.  Idzik invested heavily in the draft and cut out the fat.  Going forward only good things can come from it.  How is it not exciting that, for once, we seem to have a solid plan, and the GM is prepared to steadfastly stick to it?

they should just cancel the games then. If they aren't gonna try. 

Seriously with this?  What would you like them to do?  Build the exact opposite way all the successful franchises do?  What was the last team that had success by spending big bucks in the offseason?  Did you think we'd be able to fix all of our problems in one offseason?  Tannenbaum screwed the franchise up and its Idzik's job to clean up the mess and create a path towards long-term success, not build an 8-8 team to save some jobs.

I'd say drafting the top CB prospect, the # 2 DT prospect and the top QB prospect is evidence of "trying".  You're supposed to be the draft guru around here, yet you're clamoring for big FA signings. 

I think you're still pissed about Revis.  Let it go man. 

they should just cancel the games then. If they aren't gonna try. 

LOL...  Who spiked your Mocha Latte?

Might be the first time I've seen you pessimistic let alone this up in arms.

Seriously with this?  What would you like them to do?  Build the exact opposite way all the successful franchises do?  What was the last team that had success by spending big bucks in the offseason?  Did you think we'd be able to fix all of our problems in one offseason?

I'd say drafting the top CB prospect, the # 2 DT prospect and the top QB prospect is evidence of "trying". 

This thread is an example of fans getting their hopes up for a player who will never sign here. Why? Because more than one team is interested and the Jets don't sign guys who have multiple suitors. 

There's a middle ground between spending big bucks and spending no bucks. The Jets are filling the roster with cannon fodder and guys no one wants.

Not even close, oh crusher of dreams.  I was on Clyde Gates long ago.

I don't read threads started by Gato.

But it does appear you've been on it for a couple months..  I'll be wingman on it.  Whether you want one or not.

There's absolutely no cause for it either, its bizarre.  I haven't been this excited about the Jets' future in a while.  Just because we might go 5-11 season doesn't mean you just throw up your hands and say "f*** this".  We all knew this would have to happen first.   

LOL...  Who spiked your Mocha Latte?

If you look at the Jets only it's easy to say this is a new way forward and that's a good thing. 

If you look at the other 31 teams they are getting better (or at least trying) and the Jets are filling out a lineup card. 

This thread is an example of fans getting their hopes up for a player who will never sign here. Why? Because more than one team is interested and the Jets don't sign guys who have multiple suitors. 

There's a middle ground between spending big bucks and spending no bucks. The Jets are filling the roster with cannon fodder and guys no one want.

lol.  Who cares?  I would have liked to see Cribbs here at the right price, but as Sperm mentioned, at least we don't lose a comp pick for a guy that might only be here 1 season. 

Not to mention, its only May.  Why do you assume we're not planning to spend a little more this offseason?  June 1st cuts haven't even happened yet.

If you look at the Jets only it's easy to say this is a new way forward and that's a good thing. 

If you look at the other 31 teams they are getting better (or at least trying) and the Jets are filling out a lineup card. 

So we should be like the Raiders.  Cool.

There's absolutely no cause for it either, its bizarre.  I haven't been this excited about the Jets' future in a while.  Just because we might go 5-11 season doesn't mean you just throw up your hands and say "f*** this".  We all knew this would have to happen first.   

see that's the thing i don't buy that going 5-11 after going 6-10 is a way forward. It's not shawshank. The Jets don't have to crawl through a river of s--t to come out clean the other side. They could just sign quality players. But that's crazy talk. 

by the way the reason I'm mad today is i looked at the roster. The WR corp is terrible. The TE are worse. The line is worse. The defense is worse. They have 3 mediocre QB instead of 1 mediocre QB. The trend is down. 

The running backs are better. I'll give them that. 

They could just sign quality players. But that's crazy talk. 

by the way the reason I'm mad today is i looked at the roster. The WR corp is terrible. The TE are worse. The line is worse. The defense is worse. They have 3 mediocre QB instead of 1 mediocre QB. The trend is down. 

LOL.  What quality players are out there to sign right now?  Dallas Clark (nope)?  Give me a list.

What of the handful of high priced FA's would you have had them sign?  There are still a lot of name recognition guys on the street because NO ONE is interested. 

I'll use as Idzikism and ask that you let this play out a bit more.

Archived