Jets to work out Josh Cribbs (per Schefter)

T0mShane

It's not like some big signing is going to get us to the Super Bowl, and almost no one wants to be here.  I'd rather go the cheap route this year and then next season we can be players on the FA market.  Especially if Geno Smith is the goods.  Who wouldn't want to be part of a team with an exciting young QB? 

Speaking of Geno, he alone makes this season VERY watchable.  You get this, right?  The prospect of having a potential franchise QB is ALWAYS cause for some optimism.

We're so used to spending big on guys like Calvin Pace and Santonio Holmes we fail to realize that's not how any successful team should be built.  Idzik invested heavily in the draft and cut out the fat.  Going forward only good things can come from it.  How is it not exciting that, for once, we seem to have a solid plan, and the GM is prepared to steadfastly stick to it?

Great post!!!

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL, you are some piece of work... Cribbs is a proven return-man, beyond that he's never been able to actually play WR or RB, just gets used for gimmick plays.

I support adding Cribbs, but the notion that he's the "answer" to "we needz playmakerzzzz" is retarded.

You're so mean. I make an optimistic post and you sh*t on it.

they should just cancel the games then. If they aren't gonna try. 

Come on, man, you're better than this.  They're doing things the right way, building for the future and investing wisely, not throwing good money after bad and going all in every year like Tanny when they had no realistic chance of going deep in the playoffs the last 2 years.

mehta just said Cribbs visited on Weds and did not get a formal offer from the Jets. Considering the fact that the Raiders offered him a deal and he's got 2 more visits, this is an unlikely addition to the Jets. 

on a side note Sperm says he doesn't want Cribbs for more than vet min. The front office probably agrees. and therein lies the problem. the Jets can't compete in a free agent market when all they are offering is the minimum, time and time again. It's fun to imagine that all these teams are wrong and the bargain basement is really where all the value is... but that's not how life works.

You get what you pay for and right now the Jets are paying for garbage. 

Better than overpaying for garbage like we did in the past.

Come on, man, you're better than this.  They're doing things the right way, building for the future and investing wisely, not throwing good money after bad and going all in every year like Tanny when they had no realistic chance of going deep in the playoffs the last 2 years.

We don't know that this is the right way. We hope it's the right way.  there are 31 losers every season and there's more than one way to end up in that spot. The fact that the Jets don't even seem to be trying is different but no one can be sure if it's better or worse. 

BTW, think about what Idzik is setting up here. In two years, this team will have Geno (please God), Ivory, Goodson, Hill (?), Brick, Mangold, and Winters on offense. On defense, Wilkerson, Richardson, Coples, Davis, and Milliner. Next year, they'll have $50 million dollars to spend on FAs, and ~11 draft picks to use, with the first two likely in the top 35. Don't look now, Jets fans. The future is bright.

We don't know that this is the right way. We hope it's the right way.  there are 31 losers every season and there's more than one way to end up in that spot. The fact that the Jets don't even seem to be trying is different but no one can be sure if it's better or worse. 

Why do you keep saying the Jets "aren't trying"?  Because they passed on Cribbs?  WTF is your reasoning that they're "not trying"?  Take a step back and look at the big picture before posting again.

BTW, think about what Idzik is setting up here. In two years, this team will have Geno (please God), Ivory, Goodson, Hill (?), Brick, Mangold, and Winters on offense. On defense, Wilkerson, Richardson, Coples, Davis, and Milliner. Next year, they'll have $50 million dollars to spend on FAs, and ~11 draft picks to use, with the first two likely in the top 35. Don't look now, Jets fans. The future is bright.

Or just read this post.

Bit,

I actually like the approach the Jets are taking this offseason.  Even if they can afford some players like Cribbs who might help the team win 2-3 more games, why do it?  They're not going anywhere this season.  It's a rebuilding year.  Why go all out and the only thing you accomplish is screwing up draft position for next season.  Sometimes, you just have to stand pat and play the hand you're dealt.  Signing players like Cribbs would probably only serve to create unrealistic expectations and ramp up pressure on the team.  If they go with the younger players, see who can play and who can't and let those who can, develop, then they're in much better shape heading into 2014 than they would be by bringing in a bunch of jags this season, winning a handful of more games, but not have any real idea about whether or not the young kids can play, and the ones who can won't have developed as much.

If Josh Cribbs can win them 2-3 more games and they didn't sign him I'd be pissed.  

Why do you keep saying the Jets "aren't trying"?  Because they passed on Cribbs?  WTF is your reasoning that they're "not trying"?  Take a step back and look at the big picture before posting again.

Or just read this post.

6 good players on defense, 5 good players on offense. if the Jets played Ironman football they might have a full team. 

the Pats just signed Lavelle Hawkins. That's an example of a young-ish player who can improve the team. But the Jets don't make moves like that. Because they aren't slated to win until the 2020 season. Patience.

with the first two likely in the top 35. Don't look now, Jets fans. The future is bright.

if I'm reading this correctly, you are expecting the Jets to be a top 3 draft pick. this is improvement?

the idea that sometimes a team has to take a step backward to take a step forward is bull.

It's not that complicated. The Jets are either getting better or worse. 

if I'm reading this correctly, you are expecting the Jets to be a top 3 draft pick. this is improvement?

the idea that sometimes a team has to take a step backward to take a step forward is bull.

It's not that complicated. The Jets are either getting better or worse. 

So do you think teams should constantly mortgage their future for any possible slight improvement to the present?  I can't imagine you believe that, otherwise you'd support the idea of trading away every draft pick and overloading the roster with insane unmanageable contracts on a year to year basis, which is a proven a method for complete and utter failure in the NFL.  I'm sorry, but anyone with a clue knows that the Jets cannot and will not be contenders this year.  So the great debate is over what level of mediocrity we'll see out of the Jets this year.

With that in mind, you don't load up your roster with a bunch of short-term over-the-hill veterans who will provide absolutely zero benefit to the future of your team in order to play them over the young players on your squad you are trying to groom as the future of your team.  If anything, it is seasons like this that provide team's with a benefit of being able to work through the bumps and bruises that come along with young players without sacrificing potential success of the team.  We saw in 2009 what it's like to build your team up for a one-year run all while resting your hopes on the back of a young kid who ends up ruining it for you when all is said and done.  Granted you might be making a small sacrifice in this current season which is already destined for failure anyway, but the reason why is for the long term benefit of the team, or at least that's the goal.  There's a huge mess to clean up for this team and it was literally impossible to do it all in one offseason, so the team decided they were going to do as much as they could to start that clean up process while absolutely refusing to create an bigger of a mess at the same time.  If they continue with this same exact strategy for years to come you may have a point, but there's no reason to believe that will be the case.

6 good players on defense, 5 good players on offense. if the Jets played Ironman football they might have a full team. 

the Pats just signed Lavelle Hawkins. That's an example of a young-ish player who can improve the team. But the Jets don't make moves like that. Because they aren't slated to win until the 2020 season. Patience.

Lavelle Hawkins?  He is just the kind of likely to be out of the league guy you'd complain about.  He's probably a worse propect than Pac and my boy, Clyde Gates. He has had 1 decent season and 4 sub 10 catch years. He was barely active last year.  

So Idzik is paying for the mistakes of Tannenbaum, yet he's suppose to have studs at every position?  This is a complete tear-down and rebuild.  Just because there won't be immediate results doesn't mean they aren't trying to improve the team.

So do you think teams should constantly mortgage their future for any possible slight improvement to the present?  I can't imagine you believe that, otherwise you'd support the idea of trading away every draft pick and overloading the roster with insane unmanageable contracts on a year to year basis, which is a proven a method for complete and utter failure in the NFL.  I'm sorry, but anyone with a clue knows that the Jets cannot and will not be contenders this year.  So the great debate is over what level of mediocrity we'll see out of the Jets this year.

With that in mind, you don't load up your roster with a bunch of short-term over-the-hill veterans who will provide absolutely zero benefit to the future of your team in order to play them over the young players on your squad you are trying to groom as the future of your team.  If anything, it is seasons like this that provide team's with a benefit of being able to work through the bumps and bruises that come along with young players without sacrificing potential success of the team.  We saw in 2009 what it's like to build your team up for a one-year run all while resting your hopes on the back of a young kid who ends up ruining it for you when all is said and done.  Granted you might be making a small sacrifice in this current season which is already destined for failure anyway, but the reason why is for the long term benefit of the team, or at least that's the goal.  There's a huge mess to clean up for this team and it was literally impossible to do it all in one offseason, so the team decided they were going to do as much as they could to start that clean up process while absolutely refusing to create an bigger of a mess at the same time.  If they continue with this same exact strategy for years to come you may have a point, but there's no reason to believe that will be the case.

Sometimes you do, but you do it after you've seen that the young guys aren't ready.  The time to sign those stop gap guys is after the June 1 cuts and again during the "mini-draft".  Not right at mini-camps when you want to see what you've got and have a bunch of guys with potential.  The TE thread is the perfect spot to see this.  We have 2 interesting UDFAs, a project WR conversion that has been around long enough to show dividends, an athletic rugby player project that actually saw snaps and a young player that played in 15 games last year and showed (some) promise.  None of those guys is a slam dunk.  Quite possibly none of them is a quality player, but if you bring in some sh*tty Ben Hartsock you lose the opportunity to find out.  Ride out some camp and see where you need the bodies and spend a bit there.  Later.  It's not a race.  The season doesn't start for a long time.

So Idzik is paying for the mistakes of Tannenbaum, yet he's suppose to have studs at every position?  This is a complete tear-down and rebuild.  Just because there won't be immediate results doesn't mean they aren't trying to improve the team.

to be clear i didn't say he needs to have studs at every position. i was responding to the TS comment that the Jets will pick top 3 next year and the future is bright. 

those two statements don't coexist.

either the Jets will be super s--tty or the future is bright. its not both. 

You're so mean. I make an optimistic post and you sh*t on it.

I'm not knocking you for positivity, I'm knocking you for making an illogical statement.

On one hand you complain that we have no "playmakers" on offense, and then on the other you insinuate Josh Cribbs will fix that.

A guy that has never been able to establish himself as an integral part of an offense.

He's a great special teamer. 

to be clear i didn't say he needs to have studs at every position. i was responding to the TS comment that the Jets will pick top 3 next year and the future is bright. 

those two statements don't coexist.

either the Jets will be super s--tty or the future is bright. its not both. 

These are NOT mutually exclusive, because one refers to the present (being super sh*tty) and one refers to the future (what happens after the shiftiness).

Your on pace for the single-day record in being wrong.

These are NOT mutually exclusive, because one refers to the present (being super sh*tty) and one refers to the future (what happens after the shiftiness).

Your on pace for the single-day record in being wrong.

I'm a simple man. Wins are good, losses are bad.

I don't know how this board came to think that 16 losses in 2013 would be a step forward from 10 in 2012.

I'm open minded. Maybe someone can try to explain this to me.  

From what I've seen, with other terrible teams, they usually just stay bad. 

I don't know how this board came to think that 16 losses in 2013 would be a step forward from 10 in 2012.

Terrible teams usually stay bad because they don't value the draft (Redskins), suck at drafting (Raiders), or a combination of both.  Terrible teams don't suddenly get good by making splashy free agent pickups.  They do it by making smart picks and filling in the rest of their rosters with role players.

Wins are good and losses are bad.  No one is arguing against that 1st grader talk.  But sacrificing your future to go 8-8 is ALWAYS a bad decision.  Always.  Trading your draft picks away to get flashy players or signing pricy free agents is ALWAYS a bad decision.  Its what got Tannenbaum fired.  What Idzik is doing is what has a long track record of success in the NFL.  So while we may not achieve the short-term success you're looking for, our future looks a helluva lot brighter than it did previously.

If this isn't good enough for you I don't know what to tell you.  You're the same guy who backed losers like Dewayne Robertson and Vernon Gholston for years, yet you can't see what smart drafting will do to benefit a franchise. 

You're infuriating to have any discourse with because your next response to this post will be something stupid like "I'll take 8-8 over 6-10 any day".  The NFL isn't that simple.

It's got nothing to do with the losses, it's got everything to do with the young roster, cap space and amount of picks we've got coming down the pipe.

I don't care about the wins/losses and Clowney sweepstakes, no matter how many wins we have next year, our situations doesn't change much. Idzik is positioning us so that IF we hit on a QB, we can surge from being a 6 win team to a 10-12 win team, with all the youth that'll be coming in between this year and the next, and the opportunity to hit free agency with cap space.

The lulzacoaster just went off the tracks....

Terrible teams usually stay bad because they don't value the draft (Redskins), suck at drafting (Raiders), or a combination of both.  Terrible teams don't suddenly get good by making splashy free agent pickups.  They do it by making smart picks and filling in the rest of their rosters with role players.

Wins are good and losses are bad.  No one is arguing against that 1st grader talk.  But sacrificing your future to go 8-8 is ALWAYS a bad decision.  Always.  Trading your draft picks away to get flashy players or signing pricy free agents is ALWAYS a bad decision.  Its what got Tannenbaum fired.  What Idzik is doing is what has a long track record of success in the NFL.  So while we may not achieve the short-term success you're looking for, our future looks a helluva lot brighter than it did previously.

If this isn't good enough for you I don't know what to tell you.  You're the same guy who backed losers like Dewayne Robertson and Vernon Gholston for years, yet you can't see what smart drafting will do to benefit a franchise. 

You're infuriating to have any discourse with because your next response to this post will be something stupid like "I'll take 8-8 over 6-10 any day".  The NFL isn't that simple.

Idzik is certainly different than Tanny. Whether he's better, we shall see. The wins and losses will tell the tale. I want the jets to get better. In the near term and the long term. I don't want to see this franchise enter a nose dive that it can't recover from. 

There seems to be this faith that if the team makes "smart" (a.k.a. cheap) moves and loses more games in the near term, that's the pathway to success. It's a pipe dream. Most of the time, teams that stink stay that way. Look at the history of draft it's the same 10 terrible teams always in the top 10.  I don't want the Jets to be one of those teams. I'd take mediocrity over awfulness. 

btw this thread was about Josh Cribbs. I said the Jets are never gonna sign him, because he has choices. And that's what happened. 

It's got nothing to do with the losses, it's got everything to do with the young roster, cap space and amount of picks we've got coming down the pipe.

I don't care about the wins/losses and Clowney sweepstakes, no matter how many wins we have next year, our situations doesn't change much. Idzik is positioning us so that IF we hit on a QB, we can surge from being a 6 win team to a 10-12 win team, with all the youth that'll be coming in between this year and the next, and the opportunity to hit free agency with cap space.

If they hit on a QB, it will all be ok.

How is this different from Tanny? Tanny got fired cause the QB he picked stunk. The moves he made didn't work. if Idzik picks a high first round QB and he has a career like Sanchez, Idzik will get fired too.  

You guys talk about Idzik hitting free agency next year, is there any evidence that he will do this? It's being hopeful. It's possible that signing vet min guys is what he believes in. We really don't know. I don't know and neither do you. 

I don't want to get into the philosophy on how to build a team. Bottom line I woke this morning, looked at the roster and got depressed. the team is short on talent. and I agree Lavelle Hawkins probably doesn't change that. But no one knows how this team is gonna score points this season.

it frustrates me when Brandon Moore (a player you wanted back 10 days ago Integrity) is on the street, and fans say that a 6 man guard competition is better. It's not better. 1 former Pro Bowl guard is better than all these scrubs.  Maybe not in 2015 but who cares about that. Seriously. The romans had a saying eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we shall die. We can't count on the Jets being good in 2015 to get us through the 2013 season. It's a dream. 

and just think of the great player they can get in 2015 if they lose all the 2014 games.  

the problem with tanking seasons is that it's hard to pull an entire franchise out of a nose dive. 

You're sounding more and more like I was in December and January.  Maybe you should take a break from the Jets for a month or so.  It helped me come back with a more even, balanced approach.  There are still things that I'm not happy with, but at least I can see some positives and both sides of things now.

Just because they don't go all in to win every single game this year doesn't mean that they're tanking or trying to tank.  Think of the old win the battle, lose the war analogy.  Idzik is thinking long term, not just short term.  He's not seeking to make splashy moves like Tanny.  He's trying to make solid moves that will lay the foundation for a franchise that is competitive long term and becomes one of the top franchises, one that respected rather than laughed at, and maybe even feared.  There's more than one way to get things done.

Please explain how bringing in several hold the fort types for this season only who may or may NOT help the team win 2-3 more games this season is really helping the team when it may hold back the development of some of the younger players on the team, when it may prevent the Jets from getting the info they need about the players they currently have to help them with their plans for next year's draft, and if they do win those 2-3 extra games, may cause them to miss out on a player or two that could make a huge difference for this team.

How many years have the Jets needed a stud pass rusher and never gotten the opportunity to get one in the draft?  How many years have they needed a franchise QB?  How would you feel next year this time if the Jets did sign several of the JAGS you want, they wind up winning 7 games instead of 4 or 5, and as a result wind up missing out on all of the top QB prospects and Clowney next season?  

Please explain how 7-9 is so much better than 5-11 or 4-12.  I'd rather the Jets go ahead, bite the bullet and endure the pain this season, learn all they can about the young players they currently have, see who can help the team going forward, get them all the experience they can, speed up their development, then be in position to get the pass rusher, and offensive playmaking talent that they need in next year's draft and then be set for a big leap forward in 2014, and then be a real contender in 2015 than an imaginary contender in 2013 and going forward.  IMO, that's not "tanking" and it's not being stupid, it's being smart.  It's setting the team up for success, it's developing young players (something the Jets have fairly been criticized for for years), and if it also helps improve the draft position, then so much the better.  The key is that they're not taking the approach they are in order to get better draft position.  Until he says or proves otherwise, I believe that Idzik is taking this approach so as to better assess who can help them going forward and how can't, so he'll have a better handle on what the team's needs are, and maybe even to see how good a job that Rex & Co. do at developing that talent.  Maybe he's leery about getting the talent we need and handing it over to a CS that can't develop and properly utilize that talent.    

But hey, I could be wrong.  He's supposedly a deliberate, conservative, cautious man.  He's a first time GM.  Maybe he's trying to be the anti-Tanny and trying to be more cautious.  If so, that's understandable and he deserves some time to grow into the job.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  It's still very early in the offseason.  As someone else pointed out June 1 cuts are still to come.  The team hasn't had its rookie mini-camp yet, any of its other mini-camps,  OTAs or TC.  A lot can and probably will happen during the next 4 months.  There will be plenty of time to panic and get upset later. ;-)

If they hit on a QB, it will all be ok.

How is this different from Tanny? Tanny got fired cause the QB he picked stunk. The moves he made didn't work. if Idzik picks a high first round QB and he has a career like Sanchez, Idzik will get fired too.  

You guys talk about Idzik hitting free agency next year, is there any evidence that he will do this? It's being hopeful. It's possible that signing vet min guys is what he believes in. We really don't know. I don't know and neither do you. 

I don't want to get into the philosophy on how to build a team. Bottom line I woke this morning, looked at the roster and got depressed. the team is short on talent. and I agree Lavelle Hawkins probably doesn't change that. But no one knows how this team is gonna score points this season.

it frustrates me when Brandon Moore (a player you wanted back 10 days ago Integrity) is on the street, and fans say that a 6 man guard competition is better. It's not better. 1 former Pro Bowl guard is better than all these scrubs.  Maybe not in 2015 but who cares about that. Seriously. The romans had a saying eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we shall die. We can't count on the Jets being good in 2015 to get us through the 2013 season. It's a dream. 

Holy cow.

Archived