WV Off. Co./ Jowarski say QB isnt a diva (MERGED)

SayNoToDMC

Mountaineers coordinator, Jaws say QB is no diva

• By BRIAN COSTELLO
  • Last Updated: 2:55 AM, May 9, 2013
  •                             Posted: 1:58 AM, May 9, 2013

• Jets Blog

West Virginia offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson has

heard the words thrown around to describe his former protégé Geno Smith —

brat ... gimmick ... coddled ... marginal work ethic — and wonders if

they’re talking about the same quarterback he coached for two years.

“I never got the sense he was a diva or pampered or anything in my

involvement with him,” Dawson said. “I never had one problem with him

other than he watched too much film.”

Smith has been under siege from anonymous sources questioning everything from his focus to how he

handled pre-draft interviews. Things have heated up in the two weeks

since the Jets drafted him in the second round. After he fired his

agents, reports by Yahoo and ESPN quoted anonymous league executives and

scouts criticizing Smith.

Friday, he steps on the field for the Jets rookie minicamp to begin

his attempt to make those critics look wrong and the Jets front office

look smart.

“He’s going to play for a long time,” Dawson said

this week. “I think the Jets are going to be more than happy that they

have him. He’s going to work his [butt] off. It’s almost a positive for

the Jets organization because if everything would have went smooth and

he had been picked in the top five he probably wouldn’t be as motivated

as he is right now.

“In my talks with him after the draft, he’s so fired up right now to prove this [jerk] wrong that he’s going to work and do it.”

Former NFL quarterback and current ESPN analyst Ron Jaworski agrees. Jaworski

spent time with Smith before the 2012 Orange Bowl, which he broadcast

and then attended his pro day at West Virginia this year. He also

studied all of Smith’s 2012 games.

“I think he’s going to be a terrific NFL quarterback,” Jaworski said.

Jaworski said he saw inconsistencies in Smith’s game last year, but that is

normal for every quarterback prospect short of John Elway, Peyton

Manning and Andrew Luck.

“When I went to Morgantown and watched

his workout I was blown away,” Jaworski said. “I thought he was

tremendous. ... It was clinical. It was surgical. He did a lot of

really, really good things.”

Jaworski said Smith was the only quarterback he had with a first-round grade in this draft. He said in

speaking with people around the league he never heard any questions

about Smith’s character.

Dawson saw Smith throw for 4,201 yards,

42 touchdowns and just six interceptions last season. He said those

numbers didn’t happen by accident and wonders who is trying to tear

Smith down before he even gets an NFL practice snap.

“I honestly don’t know where it all comes from,” Dawson said. “The kid worked on his

game probably more than anybody I’ve ever been around. ... He would

watch film of all these NFL quarterbacks trying to emulate them and go

out and work as hard as he could to make himself better. He would try to

find areas in his game that were weak ... and he busted his [butt] and

got better in those areas. I don’t see it. It baffles me really.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/in_defense_of_geno_GLGT9rqmeMW5CdbrwZCDjJ?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Jets

Obvious fluff piece. Geno Smith has Mark Sanchez's confidence, Lawrence Phillips arrest record and Jamarcus Russell's work ethic/purple drank addiction. Kid is the Anti Christ..

Mountaineers coordinator, Jaws say QB is no diva
By BRIAN COSTELLO
Last Updated: 4:27 AM, May 9, 2013
Posted: 1:58 AM, May 9, 2013
Jets Blog

West Virginia offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson has heard the words thrown around to describe his former protégé Geno Smith — brat ... gimmick ... coddled ... marginal work ethic — and wonders if they’re talking about the same quarterback he coached for two years.

“I never got the sense he was a diva or pampered or anything in my involvement with him,” Dawson said. “I never had one problem with him other than he watched too much film.”

Smith has been under siege from anonymous sources questioning everything from his focus to how he handled pre-draft interviews. Things have heated up in the two weeks since the Jets drafted him in the second round. After he fired his agents, reports by Yahoo and ESPN quoted anonymous league executives and scouts criticizing Smith.

TRASH TALKED: Quarterback Geno Smith, whom the Jets selected out of West Virginia in the second round of last month’s NFL Draft, has come under all types of criticism since his selection.

Friday, he steps on the field for the Jets rookie minicamp to begin his attempt to make those critics look wrong and the Jets front office look smart.

“He’s going to play for a long time,” Dawson said this week. “I think the Jets are going to be more than happy that they have him. He’s going to work his [butt] off. It’s almost a positive for the Jets organization because if everything would have went smooth and he had been picked in the top five he probably wouldn’t be as motivated as he is right now.

“In my talks with him after the draft, he’s so fired up right now to prove this [jerk] wrong that he’s going to work and do it.”

Former NFL quarterback and current ESPN analyst Ron Jaworski agrees. Jaworski spent time with Smith before the 2012 Orange Bowl, which he broadcast and then attended his pro day at West Virginia this year. He also studied all of Smith’s 2012 games.

“I think he’s going to be a terrific NFL quarterback,” Jaworski said.

Jaworski said he saw inconsistencies in Smith’s game last year, but that is normal for every quarterback prospect short of John Elway, Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck.

“When I went to Morgantown and watched his workout I was blown away,” Jaworski said. “I thought he was tremendous. ... It was clinical. It was surgical. He did a lot of really, really good things.”

Jaworski said Smith was the only quarterback he had with a first-round grade in this draft. He said in speaking with people around the league he never heard any questions about Smith’s character.

Dawson saw Smith throw for 4,201 yards, 42 touchdowns and just six interceptions last season. He said those numbers didn’t happen by accident and wonders who is trying to tear Smith down before he even gets an NFL practice snap.

“I honestly don’t know where it all comes from,” Dawson said. “The kid worked on his game probably more than anybody I’ve ever been around. ... He would watch film of all these NFL quarterbacks trying to emulate them and go out and work as hard as he could to make himself better. He would try to find areas in his game that were weak ... and he busted his [butt] and got better in those areas. I don’t see it. It baffles me really.”

brian.costello@nypost.com

Jaws endorsed our last 2nd round QB pick...

Jaws has never seen a QB he doesn't gush about.

Regardless of his praise of Kellen, making the distinction between a diva and not a diva, doesn't have anything to do with Jaws previous "analysis" about player mechanics and such. 

Again, this is all garbage. Keep the Jets in the headlines, because it drives ratings/clicks in a time where "sports journalism" needs constant audience.

Geno's not a diva, I go to WVU and one of my pledge brothers is on the football team. From what I hear from him, Geno's a pretty quiet guy who studies a lot of tape. He's a leader by example and only gets vocal when he really needs to, also says he's a confident guy but all this "diva" stuff is just more media fueled nonsense. I see him around campus from time to time too, doesn't ever cause trouble or act like a "diva" 

The media is looking to rebuild the circus in Jetland after TEBLOW's departure. How to do that? Stoke the "anonymous" source flames as to how bad, stuck up, stupid, lazy, lucky, Geno Smith is. Bascially get the guy to blow up to give you a story. GENO---------------> let your play on the field be the reply to these muckrakers..

Jaworski LOVED Kellen Clemens, too, so take that with a grain of salt. But Jaworski does seem to do the best work on quarterbacks of any of the big talking heads.

At least these guys are willing to put their name to the quote and the reporter isn't just making up sh*t like they do on Yahoo, the Daily News, and ESPN. 

Archived