Why would Rex choose Sanchez?

Jetsfan80

A lot of people here are assuming that Sanchez is Rex's boy, and he'll probably end up going with him just because.

I disagree.  Rex had already tied himself to Sanchez for 4 seasons, and it got his boss fired.  For self-preservation purposes, it only makes sense for Rex to put as much distance between him and Sanchez as possible.  We know Sanchez is gone, whether it be this year or next, but we DON'T know that Rex is gone for sure, and I imagine he hasn't exactly resigned himself to getting fired.

It only makes sense for him to go with Garrard or Geno.  Otherwise he'll be exiting stage left with Sanchez and they can be as close of friends as they'd like to be.

Unless of course Rex still really believes Sanchez will be a good QB, in which case he deserves to be fired anyways.  I still support a future with Rex Ryan, but if there is one thing that would rightfully get him fired, its that.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of people here are assuming that Sanchez is Rex's boy, and he'll probably end up going with him just because.

I disagree.  Rex had already tied himself to Sanchez for 4 seasons, and it got his boss fired.  For self-preservation purposes, it only makes sense for Rex to put as much distance between him and Sanchez as possible.  We know Sanchez is gone, whether it be this year or next, but we DON'T know that Rex is gone for sure, and I imagine he hasn't exactly resigned himself to getting fired.

It only makes sense for him to go with Garrard or Geno.  Otherwise he'll be exiting stage left with Sanchez and they can be as close of friends as they'd like to be.

Unless of course Rex still really believes Sanchez will be a good QB, in which case he deserves to be fired anyways.  I still support a future with Rex Ryan, but if there is one thing that would rightfully get him fired, its that.

thats the problem. I cant think of any reason rex would go with sanchez

the other problem is I have no idea why he whent with him last year either.

Guy has a tat of his wife wearing his jersey on his arm.  What the hell exactly are you disagreeing with?

As scary as it may be, Sanchez could emerge as the best option. That's where this team is currently at.

Before taking a single snap, Geno is our best option.  It's just a matter of how early we want to throw him into the fire.  If we prefer to wait, a healthy Garrard absolutely cannot be a worse option than Sanchez. 

Before taking a single snap, Geno is our best option.  It's just a matter of how early we want to throw him into the fire.  If we prefer to wait, a healthy Garrard absolutely cannot be a worse option than Sanchez. 

Garrard has a lot of rust on his fragile bones, too.

I hear you about Sanchez. I think the Jets should cut him. His contract makes that a difficult thing for the owner, though. I understand that, too. I think PR will play a role in who QBs the team this year. It wouldn't surprise me to see Geno start opening day. It just wouldn't surprise me to see Mark there, either.

he will go with Sanchez because we signed a old man that was not that good when he was young and a kid that could have major problems and in no way shape or form should start the 1st game of the season. 

Garrard in his prime >>>>>> Sanchez.  There can be no dispute to this.  And you can definitely make a case that now, even at 35, if healthy, he's better.  Compare their careers and its not really even close:

DVOA Rankings

Garrard

2005:  11th

2006:  24th

2007:  3rd

2008:  17th

2009:  23rd

2010:  24th

Sanchez

2009:  35th

2010:  28th

2011:  29th

2012:  35th

The only edge Sanchez has on Garrard is "he played out the last 2 seasons".  Otherwise through his career, even Garrard at his worst is better than Sanchez at his best.  You can't tell me he (or Geno) wouldn't outperform the numbers Sanchez threw up.

And as Sperm has mentioned:

1)  Garrard was probably going to win the job over Tannehill with Miami last year before his injury according to reports at the time.

2)  Sanchez has had better receivers in all 4 of his years in the league than Garrard ever had.

You are assuming Rex thinks logically. Rex is the ULTIMATE players coach. He hates to deliver bad news and he carries strong emotions for "his" guys. 

Rex has three possible routes. You decide which route best serves his desire to remain employed here:

1. The Sanchez Option: He can start Sanchez in the hopes that Marty Mornhinweg is The Guy who gets Sanchez to play like Jeff Garcia.

REX PERSPECTIVE: Getting Sanchez straightened out will go over well with Woody, who will finally get some return on the $50 mil he's paid Mark Sanchez. The risk is that Sanchez sucks, the team quits because they're sick of Rex's love affair with him, and Rex gets whacked at mid season.

2. The Garrard Option: Garrard's a veteran who has been relatively successful in the league. If he can be a net positive at the position and not turn it over, Rex's defense could conceivably carry the team into playoff contention.

REX PERSPECTIVE: Winning with what is projected to be a bad team will boost Rex's profile instantly, and will get him extended here, or an immediate hire elsewhere. Benching Sanchez could also get Rex a clean slate in the locker room, showing that he's no longer coddling a loser. The risk is that he burns bridges with Sanchez, Garrard gets injured, Geno's not ready, and the season implodes.

3. The Geno Option: Geno could be Russell Wilson.

REX PERSPECTIVE: Playing the rookie early instantly drops expectations for job performance into the basement, and makes the likely 59-3 drubbings by the Pats and Falcons more understandable. Also gives Rex the chance to look like he's part of the rebuild, as opposed to being the reason for the rebuild. The risk is that Geno can't overcome the lack of offensive talent and melts down, and the season implodes.

Rex has three possible routes. You decide which route best serves his desire to remain employed here:

1. The Sanchez Option: He can start Sanchez in the hopes that Marty Mornhinweg is The Guy who gets Sanchez to play like Jeff Garcia.

REX PERSPECTIVE: Getting Sanchez straightened out will go over well with Woody, who will finally get some return on the $50 mil he's paid Mark Sanchez. The risk is that Sanchez sucks, the team quits because they're sick of Rex's love affair with him, and Rex gets whacked at mid season.

2. The Garrard Option: Garrard's a veteran who has been relatively successful in the league. If he can be a net positive at the position and not turn it over, Rex's defense could conceivably carry the team into playoff contention.

REX PERSPECTIVE: Winning with what is projected to be a bad team will boost Rex's profile instantly, and will get him extended here, or an immediate hire elsewhere. Benching Sanchez could also get Rex a clean slate in the locker room, showing that he's no longer coddling a loser. The risk is that he burns bridges with Sanchez, Garrard gets injured, Geno's not ready, and the season implodes.

REX PERSPECTIVE: Playing the rookie early instantly drops expectations for job performance into the basement, and makes the likely 59-3 drubbings by the Pats and Falcons more understandable. Also gives Rex the chance to look like he's part of the rebuild, as opposed to being the reason for the rebuild. The risk is that Geno can't overcome the lack of offensive talent and melts down, and the season implodes.

That is way too much thinking for Rex. He attends defensive meetings, helps install defensive game plans for that game and names captains. After that is either Mr happy or Mr Surly at the podium. Wash, rinse, repeat.

This is a pretty good analysis - the one thing you left out for Sanchez is the fan reaction.     If Sanchez is the QB this year he can't just be "better", he has to be almost perfect.   Sanchez is going to be booed relentlessly this season and if he doesn't start 'hot' there is really no way I can see Woody tolerating a season of fulltime booing.   

Either way Rex is a goner.

Half the coaching staff is gone. Approximately a dozen players from last season are gone. Revis is gone. A new offense is being installed.

Falcons

Steelers

Saints

Ravens

Pats

Dolphins

Theres at least 6 losses in the bank right there. 8 wins for the Jets this season would be a success, but the playoffs are not happening and thats Rexs 3rd year in a row. Asta Lavista.

Either way Rex is a goner.

Half the coaching staff is gone. Approximately a dozen players from last season are gone. Revis is gone. A new offense is being installed.

Falcons

Steelers

Saints

Ravens

Pats

Dolphins

Theres at least 6 losses in the bank right there. 8 wins for the Jets this season would be a success, but the playoffs are not happening and thats Rexs 3rd year in a row. Asta Lavista.

Yeah because your ability to prognosticate well documented.  LOL

thats the problem. I cant think of any reason rex would go with sanchez

the other problem is I have no idea why he whent with him last year either.

He lost so much weight his sense of QB reasoning got cloudy and unpredictible. 

Ah, bu tthe death wish is a strong compulsion.

I agree, and I think Idzik will remove the temptation and the distraction it would provide.  The Jets will sign another vet QB at some point to cover Garrard's fragility.

Garrard has a lot of rust on his fragile bones, too.

I hear you about Sanchez. I think the Jets should cut him. His contract makes that a difficult thing for the owner, though. I understand that, too. I think PR will play a role in who QBs the team this year. It wouldn't surprise me to see Geno start opening day. It just wouldn't surprise me to see Mark there, either.

we have to make every effort to keep Garrard out of the pool.

Garrard in his prime >>>>>> Sanchez.  There can be no dispute to this.  And you can definitely make a case that now, even at 35, if healthy, he's better.  Compare their careers and its not really even close:

DVOA Rankings

Garrard

2005:  11th

2006:  24th

2007:  3rd

2008:  17th

2009:  23rd

2010:  24th

Sanchez

2009:  35th

2010:  28th

2011:  29th

2012:  35th

The only edge Sanchez has on Garrard is "he played out the last 2 seasons".  Otherwise through his career, even Garrard at his worst is better than Sanchez at his best.  You can't tell me he (or Geno) wouldn't outperform the numbers Sanchez threw up.

And as Sperm has mentioned:

1)  Garrard was probably going to win the job over Tannehill with Miami last year before his injury according to reports at the time.

2)  Sanchez has had better receivers in all 4 of his years in the league than Garrard ever had.

I am sure he could outrun Sancho.  Sancho forgot how to run about a year ago.

For the record, if it's between Garrard (even if he stays miraculously healthy) and Geno, I'd go the rook all day. All. Day.  Garrard does nothing for this team at 35 years old.

How old is Brady?  Is 35 some magic number?  Please buy a clue.

How old is Brady? Is 35 some magic number? Please buy a clue.

Seriously? You're comparing David Garrard and Tom Brady? Really? Yeah. Tom Brady is the same guy as David Garrard who hasn't thrown a pass in an NFL game in three years and has had two surgeries that ended his last few attempts at comebacks.

Let me borrow your food stamps and I'll go buy a clue. Joke.

the writing is on the wall..  the only way Rex stays after this year is if he plays whoever performs best over the next 4 months.

Idzik isn't creating this atmosphere of competition U to be undermined by Rex on the most important position.

Seriously? You're comparing David Garrard and Tom Brady? Really? Yeah. Tom Brady is the same guy as David Garrard who hasn't thrown a pass in an NFL game in three years and has had two surgeries that ended his last few attempts at comebacks.

Let me borrow your food stamps and I'll go buy a clue. Joke.

No.  Actually YOU seem to think that 35 is some magic age where formerly successful QBs can no longer play.  I was pointing out a 35 year old QB who could probably still play.  Nice strawman, though.

the writing is on the wall..  the only way Rex stays after this year is if he plays whoever performs best over the next 4 months.

Idzik isn't creating this atmosphere of competition U to be undermined by Rex on the most important position.

Very true.  This man gets it.

Archived