Sheldon Richardson ~ ~ ~

kelly

Draft close-up: DT Sheldon Richardson

ncf_u_richardson11_576.jpg

Barring injury, Sheldon Richardson should be the opening-day starter at Mike DeVito's old position.

The rookie minicamp begins Friday, so we're catching you up with the Jets' draft picks:

Player: Sheldon Richardson, first round

School: Missouri

Position: Defensive tackle

Projected impact: Barring an upset, Richardson should be the opening-day starter in Mike DeVito's
old position, defensive tackle in the 3-4 front. He'll bring more
athleticism to the position than DeVito, but Richardson must adapt to a
two-gap scheme. That can be frustrating for a young lineman who played
in a one-gap, 4-3 scheme in college. Richardson's role became clear when
it was revealed that Quinton Coples was moving to outside linebacker.

SOUND BITES

On if he's surprised he went to a 3-4 team: "No, I
knew I was kind of versatile coming into the draft, and I knew all of
the teams liked my ability. I mean, they can find a way to put me on the
field and be productive so, no, I wasn’t surprised a 3-4 team selected
me at all. I was just surprised the Jets got me because after the
combine that was kind of the last time I talked to them."

On how he was used in his 14-tackle performance against Alabama: "Straight
forward, I penetrated gaps, one-gap defense at the time and I pretty
much pursued the ball really. I was running all over the field. They
were gashing us pretty good the whole game, and I mean, it was a great
experience for me to go against those guys, but it wasn’t just Alabama. I
got week-in, week-out film, and they’ve seen the consistent play and
how I got after the ball-carrier."

On playing in Rex Ryan’s system: "For me, it’s
going to be a great experience. I watched 'Hard Knocks' two years ago,
and I was liking the intensity he brought to the team every practice.
That’s just what he wants, his team to get the same output, as much
input as he put into it. He’s a great coach. I know he wants his defense
to come with it. He tells me they finished eighth overall last year and
he said he wasn’t happy with that, and you have to respect a man like
that."

On his athleticism for his size: "That has to go
back to my upbringing. I played multiple sports. I never really just
[played] only football. I [played] basketball, baseball and my father
kept me year-round and most definitely said, 'If I don’t have you doing
something constructive, you’re going to eat me out of house and home.' I
pretty much just had to stay busy."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/23125/draft-close-up-dt-sheldon-richardson

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah. Coples will be a beastly OLB and Richardson just needs to be more productive than Mike Devito.

What can Coples do at OLB to justify a first round pick at that position? Especially considering that the second Rex is fired, Coples becomes a DE again.

Overall he's not that good against the run and doesn't command double teams what so ever. When double team he doesn't really create a pile just really eliminated out of the play. On the flip side he;s real athletic and an asset as a pass rusher in the interior.

Overall he's not that good against the run and doesn't command double teams what so ever. When double team he doesn't really create a pile just really eliminated out of the play. On the flip side he;s real athletic and an asset as a pass rusher in the interior.

Your statements seem rather contradictory.  The simple fact that he's usually the quickest off the ball and constantly penetrating into the opponents backfield, deems him worthy of a double team.  If you meant that he's not going to hold his ground at the POA against two interior lineman like a Vince Wilfork I'll give it to you, but seeing as how he routinely beats most offensive lineman off the ball, they're going to have to double or chip him unless they want him in the backfield all game.  Dwight freeney, mathis and those guys  won't hold up against a double team when trying to hold the POA, but if they're asked to just penetrate, then they most certainly will be drawing doubles.  

Sheldon was doubled up plenty in all those videos posted; he was pushed back by a lot of them, but he's not being drafted to just occupy blockers, he's asked to make plays behind the LOS.  

What can Coples do at OLB to justify a first round pick at that position? Especially considering that the second Rex is fired, Coples becomes a DE again.

OLB or amoeba pass rusher, whatever. I forecast a lot of pressure with him coming off the edge; more so than Thomas or Pace could provide. He has the strength and length to excel in that role. I'm holding out hope that he pleasantly surprises us in a Suggs role.

Time will tell, but I think it could work.

For the amount of bitching we all do here what's not even been brought up is this has the potential to be the greatest front 7 the Jets have ever had. They could end up flat out dominating if things click right and they all stay healthy. Not to mention the only one who's even old is Pace if you go:

Wilkerson-Ellis-Richardson

Coples-Davis-Harris-Pace

watch the alabama game tape

he got beat like a rented mule

pushed around like he was on roller skates

this kid has huge bust potential in my mind

Go watch Mingo, Jones, Moore, Floyd, or Ogletree vs. Alabama an they get beat like rented mules. Watch Dion Jordan vs. Stanford and you wouldn't even draft him.

Dude will beast.

I still don't understand how all of these articles (and even some fans) carry on and on about the positions these players are allegedly being forced into in a 3-4.  Yes, they will of course be playing snaps in 3-4 and it is what they refer to as their "base" D, but this defense has constantly shifted around formations ever since Rex got here.  There's no reason that is going to change and if anything, it's rather clear that they've continued to draft with the intention of having more versatile players in their front 7, shifting from what was a more traditional 3-4 group a few years back, giving reason to believe we'll only be seeing even more instances of 4 DL formations.  I certainly get that there is plenty of things that Rex has more than earned the amount of crap he gets for it, but if there's one thing the guy deserves the benefit of the doubt on, it's the DL.

Meh, I look at it as we wanted to draft an OLB to rush the passer.  By drafting Rich, we get to move couples into that role.  From what we have seen from couples and what we know about Rex this could be the beginning of getting pressure/sacks with just a 4 man rush.  I have faith in Rex, he wont move couples from a spot that he seemed to be coming on strong at the end of last year to another position that he wasn't sure that he could flourish at.  Look at Suggs, started inside, moved outside and turned out very well.  Couples was constantly doubled on the inside last year, this year he will go against more one on ones and get to rush against TE/RB protection.

CHAMPYOWNCHIP!!!!

Beaten like a rented mule on roller skates?   IDK

On draft night, I questioned the selection of Richardson.  After watching this tape, against the best OL in NCAA last year, getting lots of attention, the guy really impressed me.

Have to change my opinion.  Guy looks like he is going to be a great player. 

The Jets base D against any team who has a good passing offense has 5-6 DB's on the field, the Patriots laid out a playbook on how to counter that by having a base offense that is just as good power running as it is at spreading receivers out, and throwing, and Rex wasn't blind to this, he just didn't have the 5-6 guys needed in the front to handle the versatility this type of offense creates, nor the SPEED to be able to put out there to cover the speedier TE's, and dual threat RB's.

The last 2 years it seems the Jets made a commitment to get younger, more athletic, and faster at those front 5-7 positions, including the guys who will line up on the DL, Rex wants to be able to still use his funky, confusing D fronts, and when it gets identified by the best QB's in the league pre snap he will need those guys in the trenches to get to the QB much, much quicker than they have been the last 2 seasons, then even when a Brady deciphers the fake overload Blitz that is dropping 8 men into coverage he can't just sit back in the pocket (for what seems like 2 hours) and wait for 1 of his receivers to find the weak spot in the coverage, also vice versa, he needs the guys who are going to come on those overload blitz's to get to a QB even when the QB knows its coming, and if the guys up front can't be single blocked on passing plays the QB can't call out a protection change to pick up the blitz, and know the front 3 won't pressure him giving him an extra split second, or 2 to find the open hot read that picks up HUGE yards.

If just 1 (and it doesnt always have to be the same guy, just as long as on any paticular passing down any 1 of these guys do) of the front 3, or 4 of Coples, Ellis, Richardson, and Wilkerson are consistently beating 1 on 1 matchups on passing plays his overload blitz's will become impossible to block like it was with the Ravens, and with us early 2009. Now if 2, or 3 of these guys are consistently beating OL's one passing plays Rex will have the D he has been dreaming about since his Ravens years, and maybe better up front, that has been his 1 goal here IMO, creating the best defense the league has ever seen, he tried with what most thought was impossible in the the new passing league by trying to get Shut Down CB's, and it worked for 2 years until that cock sucker Belicheck came up with a plan to negate the impact of the CB's, and beat this D down the middle of the field, yes some had success from day 1 hitting slot, and TE's in the first 2 years, but Belicheck took it to another level by creating offensive personal packages that devestated you in that area, actual playmakers at the TE position, not just guys you can hit 5-10 yards down the field when open, but that was the extent of the damage, the new personal the Pats, and others started to deploy against the Jets had those same plays going for HUGE gains by actually using dangerous playmakers at those positions. Now Rex has to counter this, and that was the reason we drafted Allen, Bush, and Davis last year, to inject speed at the weak spots these gameplans try to exploit, but not giving up the size needed to run the packages out, and still be able to "Contain" the run, well at least Allen, and Davis fits this, Bush is more of a passing down Safety.

In the last 2 years the Jets addressed the 2 weaknesses that hindered Rex's ability to get after the QB with his overload blitz's even when they weren't picked up, pass rushing interior lineman, and Speedy MLB/Hybrid Safety players. Rex's D does not succeed with true pin your ears back edge rushers, never has never will, and it explains why we have never drafted one since Rex has been here, like it, or not we will probably never draft one as long as he is here (Clowney if given the chance to nab him doesn't count he can do it all, tough to imagine Rex as HC if the Jets do get to make a selection with Clowney still on the board next draft anyway)

for those wanting a pass rusher, the league is changing. Dion Jordan and Barkevious Mingo get to the qb in 3.5 seconds. Problem is the ball is usually gone by 2.5. DC's looking to pressure the QB do so up the middle. The Jets didn't draft Sheldon Richardson to stop the run. In fact, he might not even be a starter in obvious running downs as a rookie. The hope is he gets one on one with a guard and beats his man. 

for those wanting a pass rusher, the league is changing. Dion Jordan and Barkevious Mingo get to the qb in 3.5 seconds. Problem is the ball is usually gone by 2.5. DC's looking to pressure the QB do so up the middle. The Jets didn't draft Sheldon Richardson to stop the run. In fact, he might not even be a starter in obvious running downs as a rookie. The hope is he gets one on one with a guard and beats his man.

Exactly, Rex hasn't had any success with overload A gap blitz's since 2009, and the main reason is because nobody could shed a block, or command a double team on passing plays since we lost Jenkins, all offenses had to do was put a hat on a hat, and exploit the uncovered area of the field because the pressure never got there.

I still don't understand how all of these articles (and even some fans) carry on and on about the positions these players are allegedly being forced into in a 3-4. Yes, they will of course be playing snaps in 3-4 and it is what they refer to as their "base" D, but this defense has constantly shifted around formations ever since Rex got here. There's no reason that is going to change and if anything, it's rather clear that they've continued to draft with the intention of having more versatile players in their front 7, shifting from what was a more traditional 3-4 group a few years back, giving reason to believe we'll only be seeing even more instances of 4 DL formations. I certainly get that there is plenty of things that Rex has more than earned the amount of crap he gets for it, but

Miiiiiight be overrating Rex a bit here. He hit on the Wilkerson draft pick and got Pouha to play well, but that's really been it. He hasn't produced a big pass rush, and the run defense has been in decline since Sean Ellis left. The defense as a unit has been good, but the front seven has thrived because of scheme, not its individual

personnel. Pace didn't improve, Harris hasn't improved, Kenrick Ellis hasn't played. By far the best player Rex produced was Bart Scott, who was great long before he got here. I think this idea that Rex is a master of player development is an urban legend. The guy still talks about how he made Terrell Suggs and Haloti Ngata into players, for God's sake.

5-2, 3-4, 4-3, 46, nickle, dime

Depends on the team, depends on the down.

You draft the most explosive, dynamic, versatile players you can find and move them around hiding alignments and gap responsibilities and creating mismatches by trying to confuse your opponent.

There's a lot of truth to what you say, but still, at 3.5 seconds, there's at least a chance that one or both can get to the QB in time.  With Pace, Thomas, Scott, Harris and the other dinosaurs that Rex has been throwing out there, who take something on the order of 3.5 days to get to the QB, there is no chance.

IMO, the best pressure is applied when you have players both coming up the gut and from the outside.

Beaten like a rented mule on roller skates?   IDK

On draft night, I questioned the selection of Richardson.  After watching this tape, against the best OL in NCAA last year, getting lots of attention, the guy really impressed me.

Have to change my opinion.  Guy looks like he is going to be a great player. 

They (Tide) game planned against him well -  he had 2-3 bodies on him a lot of the time and still got some good things done. I think he's a got fantastic athleticism for his size and really like the pick.

The Jets didn't draft Sheldon Richardson to stop the run. In fact, he might not even be a starter in obvious running downs as a rookie. The hope is he gets one on one with a guard and beats his man. 

Kris Jenkins & Sheldon Richardson = apples and pomegranates as DT's

I hear you but should be noted Jenkins was only like, 305 coming out of Maryland. Both were second team all conference on crappy teams.

I wan't aware of him until he was substantially plugging the middle for the Panthers, Hess. Was he ultra agile and they just threw a feedbag on him?

watch the alabama game tape

he got beat like a rented mule

pushed around like he was on roller skates

this kid has huge bust potential in my mind

Hardly.  Alabama did everything they could to run the offense away from Richardson.

Archived